Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I spoke to Mr White briefly.
    No way on earth was he attention seeking, he had a beany hat pulled down, his voice was the give away.
    From my brief conversation I remember he said 'if I can get it over the line for you I would', that the interview with Roland left him feeling 'exhausted'. I got the feeling that nothing is (yet????) certain by a long chalk.
    I shook his hand and thanked him for keeping the profile of the story up.
    Seemed genuine to me.

He clearly said that we can all go to The Valley on Saturday in the knowledge that Duchatalet is on his way out.
    Now YOU are saying YOU got “the feeling” (whatever that means?), it’s not certain by a long chalk.
    FFS......talk about pissing on the fireworks Seth.
    No wonder people are beginning to panic!

I am sorry.
    What I report is true from my point of view and there were other witnesses to the conversation, the brief conversation.
    I felt the JW is not coming from a place of either certainty or confidence, but from a place of hope and the magic word 'should'. Of course the word 'should' is often followed by the word 'unless'.
    Mr White is doing what he thinks he can but essentially he is a fringe player, not the one making decisions, or the one with incontrovertible facts.

White came out with "should" 3 or 4 times. I realise he can only say so much but I did not get so carried away with his report as some.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

So we have a geezer on the tele walking down Floyd Road telling whoever who confronts him that Charlton are being sold next week.

F*** me!

And people are lapping it up making white sound more like an attention whore than a decent journo

People I trust that have long-standing associations with the club all to a man (either well prepped) or just down right sensible said approach with caution we have been here before . Nothing is done till it’s done and nothing is done right now
    To be fair the bloke was wearing a hat to make himself less obvious and all he was doing was engaging openly with people who spotted him and asked him questions. He knows it isn’t done yet.
    Not according to comments I have seen and read that have been attributed to him

Stating dates and hrs in some instances

Granted he had a hat on and was just walking to the game but he does love the attention and the lights on him
    No doubt he enjoys being a celebrity in football reporting terms, but everything is amplified through social media. In my experience of him he’s a genuine person and happy to chat to anyone.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head with your last post.
    He enjoys the job he’s paid to do and is happy to speculate and make broad believable statements that will create a good deal of interest for a short while.
    If he is right and we do get taken over next week he looks good and credible without putting a lot of flesh on the bones of his scoop. If the take over does not happen next his story will only be remembered by us Charlton supporters, and we will forget in time.

If we were a bigger club being taken over there would be none of this Chinese whispers and I know a secret crap. The names would be all over the media and Internet but in our latest take over rumour there is a Talksport presenter saying not much apart from what we all know, the club will be taken over. Of course it will be taken over at some point, the owner has stated he wants out. All that White has done is put the story out there and let the Internet put names to his story and some of them have been in jest, these being quoted for real now.

Of course I could be wrong but this thread started literally years ago and has 4.8m views, we still in the same place as the beginning.
    You’re saying both that there is a lack of information out there because we’re not a bigger club and that one national journalist who has taken a keen interest in the story is somehow to be discounted because some fans know some stuff too.

He has a source that no one else has, and that’s why he is putting the story out when the rest of the media is silent. His involvement is evidence of itself that something is happening.

It’s perfectly true that JW’s reputation doesn’t rest on getting this one right in a way that a local reporter’s would, but I’ve never met any journalist who enjoyed getting a story wrong, and the bigger the platform the less they like it.
    Journalist?

This is a bloke who used to get his knickers twisting twice a year on a national sports TV station.Who can forget Jim's mobile beeping throughout the broadcasts with implausible information.
    Let's get this right.Hes a fella whose made a living out of sensationalising non event information.
    He's no serious Journalist.
    We can all chose to believe White or not but he has had a long career in print and TV journalism
    I’ve had a long career in engineering but I’m the first to admit I’ve winged it for most of the time.
    My great uncle Albert was an aircraft stuntman in the 1930's.

He winged it.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

shirty5 said:

So we have a geezer on the tele walking down Floyd Road telling whoever who confronts him that Charlton are being sold next week.

F*** me!

And people are lapping it up making white sound more like an attention whore than a decent journo

People I trust that have long-standing associations with the club all to a man (either well prepped) or just down right sensible said approach with caution we have been here before . Nothing is done till it’s done and nothing is done right now
    To be fair the bloke was wearing a hat to make himself less obvious and all he was doing was engaging openly with people who spotted him and asked him questions. He knows it isn’t done yet.

Granted he had a hat on and was just walking to the game but he does love the attention and the lights on him
    Arguably the biggest name in sports TV but yep I’m sure he’s gone for a cold walk down floyd road for the attention, we have lots of reasons to be sceptical after the past few years but some of us seems desperate to put every single possible positive down.
    He's not the biggest name is sports TV.

It's Lizzie Greenwood-Hughes.
    I literally have no clue who that is. It is Jeff Stelling and Jim White, fact.
    Gary Lineker?
  • Options

F*** me!

No doubt he enjoys being a celebrity in football reporting terms, but everything is amplified through social media. In my experience of him he’s a genuine person and happy to chat to anyone.
    He enjoys the job he’s paid to do and is happy to speculate and make broad believable statements that will create a good deal of interest for a short while.
    If he is right and we do get taken over next week he looks good and credible without putting a lot of flesh on the bones of his scoop. If the take over does not happen next his story will only be remembered by us Charlton supporters, and we will forget in time.

If we were a bigger club being taken over there would be none of this Chinese whispers and I know a secret crap. The names would be all over the media and Internet but in our latest take over rumour there is a Talksport presenter saying not much apart from what we all know, the club will be taken over. Of course it will be taken over at some point, the owner has stated he wants out. All that White has done is put the story out there and let the Internet put names to his story and some of them have been in jest, these being quoted for real now.

Of course I could be wrong but this thread started literally years ago and has 4.8m views, we still in the same place as the beginning.
    You’re saying both that there is a lack of information out there because we’re not a bigger club and that one national journalist who has taken a keen interest in the story is somehow to be discounted because some fans know some stuff too.

He has a source that no one else has, and that’s why he is putting the story out when the rest of the media is silent. His involvement is evidence of itself that something is happening.

It’s perfectly true that JW’s reputation doesn’t rest on getting this one right in a way that a local reporter’s would, but I’ve never met any journalist who enjoyed getting a story wrong, and the bigger the platform the less they like it.
    Journalist?

This is a bloke who used to get his knickers twisting twice a year on a national sports TV station.Who can forget Jim's mobile beeping throughout the broadcasts with implausible information.
    Let's get this right.Hes a fella whose made a living out of sensationalising non event information.
    We can all chose to believe White or not but he has had a long career in print and TV journalism
    I’ve had a long career in engineering but I’m the first to admit I’ve winged it for most of the time.
    Nothing wrong with winging it a bit, or as I call it "adapting the value of my invoice to the client in a dynamic and flexible way" : - )
    EFA

• Options
    Where the FS is Noel Edmonds when you need him?

‘Deal or no Deal?’
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

shirty5 said:

F*** me!

Arguably the biggest name in sports TV but yep I’m sure he’s gone for a cold walk down floyd road for the attention, we have lots of reasons to be sceptical after the past few years but some of us seems desperate to put every single possible positive down.

Think thats a whoosh
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

F*** me!

Journalist?

Some people have long and successful careers based on the premise of knowing little but convincing others that they know a lot. Trust me, I was that man!
    You don't have to convince me, I've met you

: - )
  • Options

‘Deal or no Deal?’

Jesus wept -he's not part of the consortium, is he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

‘Deal or no Deal?’

I've heard he's heading up his own consortium for a fair price
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    bobmunro said:

‘Deal or no Deal?’

• Options

CAFCsayer said:

shirty5 said:

F*** me!

Gary Lineker?
    Actually, yah... Id go with that
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

‘Deal or no Deal?’

The Lloyds court case has been reversed in his favour
  • Options
    cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

‘Deal or no Deal?’

The Lloyds court case has been reversed in his favour
    That confirms it then.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Heard a rumour that the new owners have joined CL!

5 million views is a given then. Or was it a rumour started by Henners?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

shirty5 said:

F*** me!

Gary Lineker?
    Actually, yah... Id go with that
    White is certainly one of the biggest names in sports TV, and has quite a following on social media.

But best journalist? Not by a country mile.

Henry Winter trumps the lot of them when it comes to quality, insightful reporting.
  • Options
    would love all these rumours to be true..............but the one thing that bugs me is why is JW suddenly the knowledge guru ?? We all know he has interviewed RD a few times AND have each others mobile number -so does this now make him the "go to" man when a 3rd party wants to "break" the story. Nah.........I just don't buy it. He is a tupence ha'penny TV/Radio presenter - why trust him ?? I'm going by what someone said yesterday - its RD trying to put pressure on the Aussies to get it moving again by planting stories.

I really really hope that I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for 48/72 hours or until/ Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday (delete any / all that have been mentioned).
  • Options

would love all these rumours to be true..............but the one thing that bugs me is why is JW suddenly the knowledge guru ?? We all know he has interviewed RD a few times AND have each others mobile number -so does this now make him the "go to" man when a 3rd party wants to "break" the story. Nah.........I just don't buy it. He is a tupence ha'penny TV/Radio presenter - why trust him ?? I'm going by what someone said yesterday - its RD trying to put pressure on the Aussies to get it moving again by planting stories.

I really really hope that I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for 48/72 hours or until/ Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday (delete any / all that have been mentioned).

They can't all be true, Golfie - Australians, Americans, Noel Edmonds - some must be made up.
  • Options
    Our President is sooooo visionary. Duct tape is the future. I'm going out tomorrow to buy all the duct tape in town.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

bobmunro said:

‘Deal or no Deal?’

Oooh, Karen and Sarah pic, but where's Shuvvy?
  • Options
    Page 1417 and still going, reckon it'll be by page 1500 , haven't been told anything, but it will happen eventually , it has to , but when , who knows ?
  • Options
    Well the Fans Forum is still scheduled for Wednesday evening where LDT is due to update the fans on the status of the takeover. I’m thinking that if this scheduled meeting isn’t called off by end of business on Tuesday we have a good idea that things are not as close as we hope. I’ve heard it said from several people that some within the club are bullish even to the point of suggesting a news conference will be called on Tuesday.

Schrödinger’s cat

• Options
    It was 48 hours or so on Wednesday then 48 hours or so on Friday. It’s happening again isn’t it..
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!