Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League Chat

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

Loved it when that fan ran on to the pitch, he visibly threw a strop because it meant he didnt get to score

Was awful during the game to be honest dont remember him doing anything!!

You talking about one of the Top 5 Footballers of all time? Why so sour? The man is a footballing genius.
    yeah but he had a poor game. you can still criticise him no matter how brilliant you think he is. I thought he should of been subbed but that was never gonna happen. he played the same against Juve apart from his overhead goal.
  • Options
    I'd be very surprised if Ronaldo leaves. Just his usual antics every time he wants a new contract. He knew that any comment he made would create a shit storm and he almost tried to back track a bit when questioned by other reporters later.
  • Options
    The problem with the Liverpool players is that if you are devastated, it is probably best to stay away. It is how you react the next day that is more important.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    After listening to his post match interview, I think Bale will be doing all he can to leave. But he does have a long contract.

As for answering in English, wasn't he asked the question in English? I don't know what his Spanish is like but I wouldn't read anything into that.
  • Options
    Ah the bin dippers royally fucked that up. Beautiful scenes.
  • Options

After listening to his post match interview, I think Bale will be doing all he can to leave. But he does have a long contract.

As for answering in English, wasn't he asked the question in English? I don't know what his Spanish is like but I wouldn't read anything into that.

He would have been asked in English as it is well known he barely has a lick of Spanish. To me his attitude towards the language is disrespectful - can you imagine the outrage if that happened in England after five years?
  • Options

He would have been asked in English as it is well known he barely has a lick of Spanish. To me his attitude towards the language is disrespectful - can you imagine the outrage if that happened in England after five years?
    You mean like Sergio Aguero? Don’t think anyone really gives a shit.
  • Options
    At least Aguero tries in English though, Bale doesn't at all and that's why he's not really been taken to the hearts of the fans. Anyway perhaps it's not relevant but it does at least partly explain why he never seems fully settled.
  • Options

At least Aguero tries in English though, Bale doesn't at all and that's why he's not really been taken to the hearts of the fans. Anyway perhaps it's not relevant but it does at least partly explain why he never seems fully settled.

Aguero didn’t try until Pep came in. So 5 years of speaking just his mother tongue. Perhaps if he wasn’t scoring 35 goals a season then the locals might care a bit more. Real Madrid fans must also be the hardest set of fans to please in world football musnt they?
  • Options

Aguero didn’t try until Pep came in. So 5 years of speaking just his mother tongue. Perhaps if he wasn’t scoring 35 goals a season then the locals might care a bit more. Real Madrid fans must also be the hardest set of fans to please in world football musnt they?
    Yes - they are very hard to please. The atmosphere is awful with them often whistling their own players when they aren't playing well. Bale's reluctance to speak Spanish has given the fans and the media something else to criticise him about although they are so inconsistent and sometimes love him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Why did Klopp speak in English when interviewed? Its a non issue.
  • Options

Apart from Wednesday fans.
    They will say they are bigger than Madrid and should be in the champions league as of right.
  • Options

It has been to the Spanish fans and media here though, which I have suggested has contributed to Bale not being very settled or particularly loved. I don't personally think it is a huge issue though I think he should make more of an effort. I am just passing on how he is seen in Madrid in order to add a bit of context to his comments about his future.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    For the record, Bale's on pitch interview yesterday was conducted with BT Sport so I'm not surprised it wasn't in Spanish!

Even so, I'm surprised he doesn't try at all? I thought in his first press conference he read out a statement in broken Spanish?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Didn't realise it was such an intense thing in Spain but here's an article the Guardian did all about it. Players booed by crowds, disparaged by the media, insulted on the pitch and dropped by managers for not speaking the language.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/in-bed-with-maradona/2017/mar/17/la-liga-spain-beckham-bale-kroos-real-madrid-language
  • Options
    When Salah went off some of the Liverpool players lost their belief.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    It's definitely a big deal, but in some ways it just gives the fans and media something to focus on when they have taken against a player. Fair enough about the interview being on BT sport - hadn't noticed that - but just trying to make a general point about the difficulties Bale has faced here, some of his own making but also part of the general atmosphere of a British player playing here.

Interestingly. Steve McManaman who was never such a star in his days here was embraced by the fans for his efforts to integrate and speak the language: that shows how important it is here.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

When Salah went off some of the Liverpool players lost their belief.

Even with Salah Liverpool were massive underdogs, without him they had very little chance. Madrid had players like Bale on the bench, the difference between squads was huge. For me it ruined what could have been a great match.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Ramos also elbowed the keeper in the head off the ball moments before the first mistake. Check out the reply. Filthy player.

I did fill sorry for the keeper at the end, it’s only a game and you shun the keeper at the end. He will be hounded out the club now.

He also went down holding his face at one point and replays showed he wasnt touched
  • Options

It's definitely a big deal, but in some ways it just gives the fans and media something to focus on when they have taken against a player. Fair enough about the interview being on BT sport - hadn't noticed that - but just trying to make a general point about the difficulties Bale has faced here, some of his own making but also part of the general atmosphere of a British player playing here.

Interestingly. Steve McManaman who was never such a star in his days here was embraced by the fans for his efforts to integrate and speak the language: that shows how important it is here.

Madrid how many brits move to spain and dont try to speak Spanish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    clb74 said:

Definitely lots on the Costas but it would be quite silly to live in the cities and not at least try to speak the language.
  • Options

Because like Bale he was being interviewed by UK TV
  • Options

Wouldn't be surprised if Bale does leave. There has been constant speculation about him here virtually since his first season. Much of this is because he has made no attempt to integrate to the life of Spain or to speak Spanish even after five years.

His on the pitch interview in English after the game yesterday showed that - imagine if a foreign player was still doing that in the Premier League in their own language after five years. That is why, despite some great performances, the fans have never really taken to him

They will now.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I don’t really mind Ramos. Got a bit of old school ruffing up centre half about him, albeit with some continental theatrics, can score a goal and knows how to win. The blokes won everything there is in football. If he was playing for Charlton he’d be our hero.

Hope Kane sticks one on him if we meet in the WC mind.
  • Options

I don’t really mind Ramos. Got a bit of old school ruffing up centre half about him, albeit with some continental theatrics, can score a goal and knows how to win. The blokes won everything there is in football. If he was playing for Charlton he’d be our hero.

Much more likely to be the other way round. If we do get that far I'd hope one of our cloggers is under orders to clatter him very hard in the first two minutes. Not that I'm sure we have anyone who could.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I agree re Ramos. He does overcook the rolling about - the only thing that let’s him down. Quality defender and can play a bit as well.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

It was a foul. Nothing more, nothing less.
    He didn’t intend to injure the player. Anyone would think he had a sly dig off the ball, raked his studs down the Achilles or deliberately went over the top of the ball and done him.

Check out the 24 red cards that Ramos has accumulated at Real Madrid to see all of the above.
  • Options
    Surprised that the fans haven't taken to Bale when off the top of my head he:

Scored that amazing goal where he sprinted miles outside the Barcelona full back when running half the length of the pitch to score a cup final winner.
    Scored the goal that put them ahead against Atletico in a champions league final
    Scored 2 goals last night

And despite being injured a lot he's still scored over 20 goals this season, which is a lot more than Benzema.