Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton - Post match views - Feb 2017

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

You're probably the best technical side I've seen this season. Tbf you battered us for large spells and it was an excellent defensive performance from us that kept you out. But I'd be a bit gutted if I was walking away from last night as a Chalrton fan wondering how you'd lost that. You've got the quality going forward, with lots of pace and power (I thought your number 12 gave our right back all sorts of problems especially in the first half). You probably weren't clinical enough but you got the ball into dangerous areas and kept us busy at the back and you won't come up against too many defences with the tenacity, experience and doggedness of Peter Clarke and Anthony Gerrard and a goalkeeper of the quality of Conor Ripley who'll be in Middlesbrough's first team in no time, between them 3 they're probably the reason we're not bottom.

I'd say it's defensively where you looked the most vulnerable. We're not a great side attacking wise but we had good success against your defence especially with the long hoofs upfield and picking up the second balls. It was poor defending which probably made us look like we were in the game more than we should have been because we didn't get a sniff in midfield or anywhere else, the only parts of the field where we had success and looked in control was in your final third.

I'd say if you tighten up at the back, you'll be a real force next season.

All the best.

Always very insightful to get the view of an oppo fan who seems to know what they are talking about - nice one.

A number of fans have said we're the best side they've played this season - Bradford were another - but we just can't seem to turn that into wins. All in all, very frustrating
  • Options
    JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

You're probably the best technical side I've seen this season. Tbf you battered us for large spells and it was an excellent defensive performance from us that kept you out. But I'd be a bit gutted if I was walking away from last night as a Chalrton fan wondering how you'd lost that. You've got the quality going forward, with lots of pace and power (I thought your number 12 gave our right back all sorts of problems especially in the first half). You probably weren't clinical enough but you got the ball into dangerous areas and kept us busy at the back and you won't come up against too many defences with the tenacity, experience and doggedness of Peter Clarke and Anthony Gerrard and a goalkeeper of the quality of Conor Ripley who'll be in Middlesbrough's first team in no time, between them 3 they're probably the reason we're not bottom.

I'd say it's defensively where you looked the most vulnerable. We're not a great side attacking wise but we had good success against your defence especially with the long hoofs upfield and picking up the second balls. It was poor defending which probably made us look like we were in the game more than we should have been because we didn't get a sniff in midfield or anywhere else, the only parts of the field where we had success and looked in control was in your final third.

All the best.

Thanks

I thought you were well organised, and your keeper Ripley was a real unit.

We are vulnerable against direct attacking play, it's where we miss Jason Pearce who has the experience and strength to organise the defence and counter such tactics

• Options
    JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

All the best.

Thanks for the kind write up. You are being wildly over generous, Yes, we had plenty of possession but did absolutely nothing with it .. to my mind, as I wrote well up the page, we never looked like scoring and just did not work as hard as you .. but of course, all viewing is in the eye, mind and opinion of the beholder. Good luck for the rest of the season. I can say that now that we've played you twice and taken a total of one point from you, all helps in a relegation battle, that's yours not ours, just ((:>)
  • Options
    JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

All the best.

Bloody opposition fans coming on our message board giving us hope :neutral:

Thanks pal :smiley:
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Danny Hollands, even pre-injury, over Konsa and Aribo? Matt Taylor over Konsa? Hmm.

Would Aribo score 7 goals in the league and play nearly every game? Konsa be as consistent as Taylor over a full season?

I think they're both promising players but not as good as say Shelvey or Gomez.

What doesn't help is the balance of the team, they're playing alongside other young players, Fox earlier in the season, more recently Mavididi, Page etc have come into the squad over proven experienced signings.
  • Options
    A telling comment tucked away in the Oldham fans Post was the description of the Oldham defenders - tenacity, experience and doggedness.

Every decent team whether they are fighting relegation or challenging for promotion, needs players with those qualities.

I'm amazed that some think we can fill a team with 18 year olds, play 46 games and be anything but mediocre.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

All the best.

Thanks for posting. Much appreciated!
    Thought Fane was good at The Valley, but he was only sub on Tuesday.
    Well spotted Jimmy boy. Fane is an absolute beast.