Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton - Post match views - Feb 2017

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    KR is obviously getting frustrated by recent results and that was shown in his interview. He was relying on unknown youngsters like Aribo and Mavididi to score goals. Watt and Magennis have not been prolific goal scorers so it was always going to be an uphill struggle to win matches. Letting Ajose go hasn't helped either. I would like to give KR time but beginning to think he's living in Cookoo land. In reality the blame lies with RD because player recruitment has been poor.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Well Robinson was stating the obvious there, we don't score enough goals. I'm sure he is right about them being an honest bunch, but that doesn't really help our predicament. We've played 30 games this season, which is more than enough to make a proper assessment, and ultimately it appears that the squad just isn't good enough to be a top six side.

I'd be happy for Fagin to join us and us be a less than honest bunch of lads who score goals, just two would do!

I thought the team selection with Watt and Holmes on the bench. I know we have a lot of games coming up and there will need to be a degree of squad rotation, but lets start by getting some points on the board and develop a momentum, instead we now have 2 points from 9.

My recollection is that we had a similar run with Slade where Nugent said we just need to convert the draws into wins, promptly started to lose and here we are same situation different manager
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Supporter for over 50 sodding years and this is the worst Charlton team I have seen and I/we have seen some shockers haven't we.

Its bad but not the worst ever in my opinion
  • Options
    KR he's just a hairier Russell Slade!
  • Options
    Regardless of the recent results, I cannot help but feel KR is sincere in his endevours to make Charlton Athletic FC successful again and to restore the fans' pride in the team.
    However, I also cannot help feeling that Duchatelet sees him as a "Head Coach" and not a "Manager" with the benefit of all the decision making responsibilities which go with the latter position.
    I still feel Duchatelet is heavily influencing team selection and is as keen as ever to showcase the youngsters to achieve a healthy return for himself at the earliest opportunity.
    KR's suggestion to the players to tell him what they think is wrong smacks of desparation and almost a cry for help as he may not feel he can influence enough to change things. It feels all too familiar again after watching previous "managers" struggle and fail to run CAFC as a football club without the support of the owner.
    I do not see KR walking out of the job. Why should he turn his back on a rightful pay off when Duchatelet, true to his nature, sacks him within his contract term and lays the blame on "the manager" yet again for the failure?
    When the inevitable happens, I just pray we do not hear again from our arrogant and incompetent CEO that his appointment was the right decision and that our rankings improved.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

We lose an away game we dominated thanks to poor finishing, great goalkeeping and a referee howler and this site becomes a competition to write the angriest, most righteously indignant post. May I suggest everyone gets a grip? Poor signings, a bad squad, only heading one way...the main culprit for our missed chances - Magennis - is widely acknowledged as extremely good for this level and a fantastic signing. He's rusty after injury. He'll be back to what we know he can do soon. We have no divine right to win games even in League One - all we can ask for with our superior resources is to put out a team that can outplay the opposition. We're doing that regularly now - but not putting away the chances. When it clicks I can see us winning quite a few in a row. I'd be far more worried if we played like absolute shit and drew - which we did in the home fixture against Oldham

I agree. I'd be more worried, though, if we hadn't spent some of the Lookman money in January so that we weren't reliant mainly on kids. Oh, hang on...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's my 30th on Friday. The odds of me making it to Rochdale the next day are...slim. If I sold it to my girlfriend as part of the celebrations, I guess...
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Got halfway through listening to that garbage before giving up.

You did well sir.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It's my 30th on Friday. The odds of me making it to Rochdale the next day are...slim. If I sold it to my girlfriend as part of the celebrations, I guess...

Cancel the celebrations and come to Rochdale - it's free coach travel
  • Options
    Interesting to see Botaka getting MOTM marks on the 'Players Mark' thread. Another loan player of course, but I like him.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Crofts said a couple of weeks ago we have 18 cup finals I must say the first 2 have been very impressive!

Chin up, I'm sure we'll pick up a couple of pieces of silverware in the next 16. Most successful your in our history, praise RD!

I wonder how many confused Charlton fans will be waiting outside Wembley for Rochdale away on Saturday?
  • Options

Don't like this 1 up front. Think if we look back we actually scored more goals under slade.

Increasing the number of strikers you have on the pitch does not necessarily mean more goals.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

We lose an away game we dominated thanks to poor finishing, great goalkeeping and a referee howler and this site becomes a competition to write the angriest, most righteously indignant post. May I suggest everyone gets a grip? Poor signings, a bad squad, only heading one way...the main culprit for our missed chances - Magennis - is widely acknowledged as extremely good for this level and a fantastic signing. He's rusty after injury. He'll be back to what we know he can do soon. We have no divine right to win games even in League One - all we can ask for with our superior resources is to put out a team that can outplay the opposition. We're doing that regularly now - but not putting away the chances. When it clicks I can see us winning quite a few in a row. I'd be far more worried if we played like absolute shit and drew - which we did in the home fixture against Oldham

I agree about the Oldham home match, and about the fact that we are improving, and that we have been a bit unlucky.

But we still look 'fragile' as a team, partly because we have a young slightly inexperienced team, who lack physical strength, and partly because we lack a little bit of quality that can make a difference (Lookman, Kermorgant etc).
    Why? Because we are being used as an experiment in running a club cheaply.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I go and follow your advice, and now I'll be walking funny for a week, to say nothing of the strange looks that I'm getting in the office....

For what it's worth, I think Magennis is great, but he is not someone that I would willingly play all by himself up front. He has never been wildly prolific (but does score important goals) and either needs very rapid attacking support from midfield, or another striker playing off him - neither of which have been conspicuous in this year's team.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Stupid me, I thought this was just another in string of poor results. Not a stand out on its own pile of shit ! Great we have come from being shit and drawing with Oldham to being as good as Oldham and losing to them, that's moving forward. Thanks for your positive slant. Roland & Karl need people like you to buy the 1800 season tickets they will sell next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    We will come good.

In the words of Messiah Slade, 'Just be patient'.
  • Options
    I would like Leuth to buy me a pint, you know the same brew that he has been drinking. Blimey it mus be good.
  • Options
    Big Josh messed up, as did Novak Saturday at the end of the day if you can't even hit the target from 12 yards out your going nowhere.

Even Botaka gets in a great position to hit it and does a f**king step over get rid of him
  • Options

Big Josh messed up, as did Novak Saturday at the end of the day if you can't even hit the target from 12 yards out your going nowhere.

Even Botaka gets in a great position to hit it and does a f**king step over get rid of him

He's got MoM from half of those rating the team on the Players' Marks thread, and I'm assuming they were actually at the match.
    Bit early to be getting rid?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

He's got MoM from half of those rating the team on the Players' Marks thread, and I'm assuming they were actually at the match.
    I cannot understand for the life of me how Botaka got m o m .. It's all a matter of opinion I know .. he runs into crowded areas never finding space and you always know he's going to lose the ball by being too fucking flash and greedy .. shooting ? .. couldn't hit a barn door from 3 feet ... he's an amusing watch though ..
    also some are criticising Bauer for inefficiency in the air ! .. he won the vast majority of his airborne duels and had to cover all the time for Konsa who is good on the ground (should be in midfield or at right back) but is forever outmuscled and outjumped in the air .. and this happens ALL the time in almost every game I have seen him play at central defender
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

I cannot understand for the life of me how Botaka got m o m .. It's all a matter of opinion I know .. he runs into crowded areas never finding space and you always know he's going to lose the ball by being too fucking flash and greedy .. shooting ? .. couldn't hit a barn door from 3 feet ... he's an amusing watch though ..
    also some are criticising Bauer for inefficiency in the air ! .. he won the vast majority of his airborne duels and had to cover all the time for Konsa who is good on the ground (should be in midfield or at right back) but is forever outmuscled and outjumped in the air .. and this happens ALL the time in almost every game I have seen him play at central defender
    Bauer is a player who has a leap on him. I think he's very good for his age, so will be sellable in a year or two, unfortunately.
    Botaka I enjoy watching, but his tricks might get wearing if they don't lead to anything I suppose. But give him a couple more full games, and if he hasn't started getting goals or assists then fair enough, stick him back on the bench.
    Were you at the Oldham match, or did you watch the stream?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Bauer is a player who has a leap on him. I think he's very good for his age, so will be sellable in a year or two, unfortunately.
    Botaka I enjoy watching, but his tricks might get wearing if they don't lead to anything I suppose. But give him a couple more full games, and if he hasn't started getting goals or assists then fair enough, stick him back on the bench.
    Were you at the Oldham match, or did you watch the stream?
    I was suffering at Oldham .. would you believe some diehards stayed on to applaud our players after that performance .. but ignore me, I am still in a rage over a gutless and shallow turn out by our 'team'