Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton - Post match views - Feb 2017

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Big Josh messed up, as did Novak Saturday at the end of the day if you can't even hit the target from 12 yards out your going nowhere.

Even Botaka gets in a great position to hit it and does a f**king step over get rid of him

He's got MoM from half of those rating the team on the Players' Marks thread, and I'm assuming they were actually at the match.
    Bit early to be getting rid?
    I cannot understand for the life of me how Botaka got m o m .. It's all a matter of opinion I know .. he runs into crowded areas never finding space and you always know he's going to lose the ball by being too fucking flash and greedy .. shooting ? .. couldn't hit a barn door from 3 feet ... he's an amusing watch though ..
    also some are criticising Bauer for inefficiency in the air ! .. he won the vast majority of his airborne duels and had to cover all the time for Konsa who is good on the ground (should be in midfield or at right back) but is forever outmuscled and outjumped in the air .. and this happens ALL the time in almost every game I have seen him play at central defender
    Bauer is a player who has a leap on him. I think he's very good for his age, so will be sellable in a year or two, unfortunately.
    Botaka I enjoy watching, but his tricks might get wearing if they don't lead to anything I suppose. But give him a couple more full games, and if he hasn't started getting goals or assists then fair enough, stick him back on the bench.
    Were you at the Oldham match, or did you watch the stream?
    I was suffering at Oldham .. would you believe some diehards stayed on to applaud our players after that performance .. but ignore me, I am still in a rage over a gutless and shallow turn out by our 'team'
    Ridiculously, I still feel sorry for Novak for missing one and a half goals at Wimbledon/Merton.
  • Options
    Danny Hollands, even pre-injury, over Konsa and Aribo? Matt Taylor over Konsa? Hmm.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

There is a manager who can change virtually a whole team in a window with around £1m and break points records in this division. A point of fact - not debate. Oh, but Roland sacked him virtually as soon as he bought the club!!!

I think Robinson is a decent manager - but he needs backing and like other managers he hasn't got it. All this learning lessons nonsense - one lesson surely is not to leave your business to the end of a window - if it isn't happening forget plan A and go straight to plan B!!!! Those running the club are totally inept and icompetent - that is why we are protesting and that is why we will continue to protest. Rather than complain about it or try to undermine fans, they simply have to start doing a good job and the protest will die. But we know they are incapable of doing it.

The trouble is the regime's plan is going as envisaged. The youngsters are getting thrown in the team & it's sink or swim.

A few have sunk & Gomez & Lookman swam and were sold.

No way would Konsa & Aribo have got into Chris Powell's promotion team, nor would Mavididi & Da Silva.

This is why we'll never have a successful first team under RD, barring miracles.
    Idon't think it is - a) because player values are less in League One - Lookman was an exception b) because they lose more money so need to make more money and c) because the Valley is a pretty depressing place when empty and that can't be in anybody's vision. I think their negative plan had to be geared around the Championship - but if you don't have ambition, you shouldn't be surprised when you drop.

I do agree we will never have a successful team under RD though - that is why I protest.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    jams said:

Leuth said:

Danny Hollands, even pre-injury, over Konsa and Aribo? Matt Taylor over Konsa? Hmm.

Polish Pete over kermorgant? Hmm.
    I reckon Barry Chuckle wouldn't fall for that one! Maybe Duchatelet should be getting advice from him! It is laughable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

League One was his level, but is anybody trying to say Hollands wasn't a great signing! Seriously!

if memory serves, he was the first Powell signing ? .. very good at what he did
  • Options

League One was his level, but is anybody trying to say Hollands wasn't a great signing! Seriously!

Obviously I'm not. He was a good signing. Konsa and Aribo are gun players though
  • Options
    What's a gun player ?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Considering we won League One with a record number of points with those players central to our team, and we're in League One right now in 13th place...yep, I really would like those League One winning players. Who the hell wouldn't?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Uboat said:

What's a gun player ?

Someone who helps the manager get fired.
    Torpedoes away, boom, boom :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

You're probably the best technical side I've seen this season. Tbf you battered us for large spells and it was an excellent defensive performance from us that kept you out. But I'd be a bit gutted if I was walking away from last night as a Chalrton fan wondering how you'd lost that. You've got the quality going forward, with lots of pace and power (I thought your number 12 gave our right back all sorts of problems especially in the first half). You probably weren't clinical enough but you got the ball into dangerous areas and kept us busy at the back and you won't come up against too many defences with the tenacity, experience and doggedness of Peter Clarke and Anthony Gerrard and a goalkeeper of the quality of Conor Ripley who'll be in Middlesbrough's first team in no time, between them 3 they're probably the reason we're not bottom.

I'd say it's defensively where you looked the most vulnerable. We're not a great side attacking wise but we had good success against your defence especially with the long hoofs upfield and picking up the second balls. It was poor defending which probably made us look like we were in the game more than we should have been because we didn't get a sniff in midfield or anywhere else, the only parts of the field where we had success and looked in control was in your final third.

I'd say if you tighten up at the back, you'll be a real force next season.

All the best.

Thanks for posting. Much appreciated!
    Thought Fane was good at The Valley, but he was only sub on Tuesday.
  • Options
    JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

You're probably the best technical side I've seen this season. Tbf you battered us for large spells and it was an excellent defensive performance from us that kept you out. But I'd be a bit gutted if I was walking away from last night as a Chalrton fan wondering how you'd lost that. You've got the quality going forward, with lots of pace and power (I thought your number 12 gave our right back all sorts of problems especially in the first half). You probably weren't clinical enough but you got the ball into dangerous areas and kept us busy at the back and you won't come up against too many defences with the tenacity, experience and doggedness of Peter Clarke and Anthony Gerrard and a goalkeeper of the quality of Conor Ripley who'll be in Middlesbrough's first team in no time, between them 3 they're probably the reason we're not bottom.

I'd say it's defensively where you looked the most vulnerable. We're not a great side attacking wise but we had good success against your defence especially with the long hoofs upfield and picking up the second balls. It was poor defending which probably made us look like we were in the game more than we should have been because we didn't get a sniff in midfield or anywhere else, the only parts of the field where we had success and looked in control was in your final third.

All the best.

Hi Karl!

Seriously thanks for posting. Interesting.
  • Options

Not sure who was Chief Scout when SCP had all those experienced L1 players( Phil Chapple, I believe) but whoever it was must have had a huge hand in identifying them....and had presumably trawled the divisions & watched numerous matches to achieve his goal. Team work at its best with success the result.

For the past 3 years we've had Mowgli whose knowledge( if you can call it that) relies on a piece of IT equipment and his ability to stay awake after several mind numbing hours at a time on his pc. No team work required, hence success sidelined.

For me, this is one of the biggest differences in the mindset of the relevant regimes.

Regardless of the failings of the Spivs, they favoured the good "old fashioned" ways of running their business with a decent CEO, scouting system and infrastructure at the club. Add to this, a manager who wasn't forced to resort to blooding the young guns & overplaying them and voila , what do you have ? A record points, L1 topping team and thousands of happy Addicks.

Compare that with RD's stewardship where normality/ tried & tested methods have bitten the dust in favour of quick fixes, a totally inexperienced CEO and an infrastructure as shaky as a house built smack bang on the San Andreas fault. After experimenting with numerous manager, mostly unsuited to English football, a young, ambitious guy is appointed who, sadly is seemingly hypnotised by the President's vision until his eyes are forced open with the closing of a window...

As has been pointed out many, many times, we are a mere experiment , nay, a whim in the weird world of a Belgian billionaire and the squad we have at this moment in time is the result, in line with his lack of interest in a successful team.

So what do we have now ?

No prize for stating it's thousands of unhappy, disillusioned Addicks.

And a distinct lack of the "twelfth man" that has assisted our teams & urged them to victory many times in the past.

Those were the days, my friends....

Spot on Fanny
  • Options
    'Compare that with RD's stewardship where normality/ tried & tested methods have bitten the dust in favour of quick fixes, a totally inexperienced CEO and an infrastructure as shaky as a house built of smack, bang on the San Andreas fault.'

Didn't feel the full shakiness was reflected in the original.
  • Options
    With the exception of our excellent Academy (none of which is down to Duchatelet), the whole edifice, culture and structure of the regime is horrendously and fatally flawed. As Fanny says, the tried and trusted "old fashioned" methods of running a successful club have been well and truly ditched.

If this blithering idiot/megalomaniac doesn't sell up in the summer, I really do fear for us next season, both in terms of the continuing withering of our support and the team's ability to really compete in League 1.
  • Options
    It was nice of the Oldham fan to come here and post his interesting comments. Of course he was judging us on one game but quality wise, I do belive we have more than any other team. And yes the defence is prone to errors from time to time, but statistics show the main issue isn't around how many we concede, but how many we score.
  • Options

Not sure who was Chief Scout when SCP had all those experienced L1 players( Phil Chapple, I believe) but whoever it was must have had a huge hand in identifying them....and had presumably trawled the divisions & watched numerous matches to achieve his goal. Team work at its best with success the result.

For the past 3 years we've had Mowgli whose knowledge( if you can call it that) relies on a piece of IT equipment and his ability to stay awake after several mind numbing hours at a time on his pc. No team work required, hence success sidelined.

For me, this is one of the biggest differences in the mindset of the relevant regimes.

Regardless of the failings of the Spivs, they favoured the good "old fashioned" ways of running their business with a decent CEO, scouting system and infrastructure at the club. Add to this, a manager who wasn't forced to resort to blooding the young guns & overplaying them and voila , what do you have ? A record points, L1 topping team and thousands of happy Addicks.

Compare that with RD's stewardship where normality/ tried & tested methods have bitten the dust in favour of quick fixes, a totally inexperienced CEO and an infrastructure as shaky as a house built smack bang on the San Andreas fault. After experimenting with numerous manager, mostly unsuited to English football, a young, ambitious guy is appointed who, sadly is seemingly hypnotised by the President's vision until his eyes are forced open with the closing of a window...

As has been pointed out many, many times, we are a mere experiment , nay, a whim in the weird world of a Belgian billionaire and the squad we have at this moment in time is the result, in line with his lack of interest in a successful team.

So what do we have now ?

No prize for stating it's thousands of unhappy, disillusioned Addicks.

And a distinct lack of the "twelfth man" that has assisted our teams & urged them to victory many times in the past.

Those were the days, my friends....

Spot on Fanny
    No-one likes a spot on Fanny :wink:
  • Options
    JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

All the best.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I have lost times times this season when speaking to fans from the other team they have said we are the best team they have played.
  • Options
    JCartwell said:

Oldham fan here.

All the best.

this has been the issue for a long time now. especially against teams who hoof the ball up, similar to AFC Wimbledon, we hardly ever seem to win the second ball.