Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton - Post match views - Feb 2017

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

Apologist here

Reading the match thread it looked like we battered them, missed loads of good chances, keeper had a stormer, stonewall penalty denied. We've clearly played much worse this season and drawn 1-1.

A fully firing Magennis and we win that one without much difficulty imo - we've just been very unlucky and Robinson hasn't had the chance to build the squad he wants. It's important he's given the summer to do so.

Short-termist 'THE CLUB IS DEAD', 'KR IS TOAST' bulls**t is not helping anyone. The club is being ineptly run, sure, but given our squad, resources etc I think we've hit our floor. The only way really is up.

I wouldn't be so sure about that last part, but in general I agree.
  • Options
    You have to identify what you have to fix then do it. I'm not sure the people running the club think like that bizarely. I have not seen any evidence of it in any window. Yes, we have made good signings amongst all the dross, but it al seems to be done without a clear plan.
  • Options
    First time in years I'd totally forgotten we were playing.

So we lost, not really a surprise. We're the very definition of mediocre, too many draws, little in the way of flair going forward and have looked ropey at the back since Pearce was injured.

Fair play to those going to away games. Personally wouldn't waste money on watching us currently especially on a long away trip.

We now have 3 months of nothingness as we head to a mid table finish. Last time we at least had Powell and new owners in charge, with Roland it's just really depressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thats it now, play offs should no longer be mentioned at all. Another year in league one to get excited about.

With the Belgian Irishman in charge.
  • Options

se9addick said:

We played tonight???? Thanks to roland I couldnt give much of a toss

We always see comments like this shortly after the final whistle of every match we lose (or draw).

Odd.
    I literally jumped onto my phone and saw post match thread, want to jump on my back to while you are at it??
    Say whaaat?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Leuth said:

Apologist here

Reading the match thread it looked like we battered them, missed loads of good chances, keeper had a stormer, stonewall penalty denied. We've clearly played much worse this season and drawn 1-1.

A fully firing Magennis and we win that one without much difficulty imo - we've just been very unlucky and Robinson hasn't had the chance to build the squad he wants. It's important he's given the summer to do so.

Short-termist 'THE CLUB IS DEAD', 'KR IS TOAST' bulls**t is not helping anyone. The club is being ineptly run, sure, but given our squad, resources etc I think we've hit our floor. The only way really is up.

Hang on, we've just had a transfer window where Robinson stated he could have brought in more players, but he didn't. Whether Karl was being honest or not, it doesn't matter, either Duchatelet didn't back him financially, or Robinson failed to bring in sufficient quality players to get us into the play offs. Let's remember it was Robinson himself who stated that anything other than the play offs is failure.

So let's say that Robinson WAS at fault and he didn't bring in enough quality, then why should we back him to do things properly at the end of the season? If Duchatelet was at fault, then it's just business as usual when it comes to signing players, so why should we yet again believe it will be any different next time?
    Look. We are a complete basket case club complete with a silk lining and pig skin straps. The last thing we need is to start calling for a managers head after a handful of games. I'm embarrassed enough being a Charlton supporter already.

• Options
    Who's gonna start the Rochdale Roll Call thread?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

Apologist here

Hang on, we've just had a transfer window where Robinson stated he could have brought in more players, but he didn't. Whether Karl was being honest or not, it doesn't matter, either Duchatelet didn't back him financially, or Robinson failed to bring in sufficient quality players to get us into the play offs. Let's remember it was Robinson himself who stated that anything other than the play offs is failure.

So let's say that Robinson WAS at fault and he didn't bring in enough quality, then why should we back him to do things properly at the end of the season? If Duchatelet was at fault, then it's just business as usual when it comes to signing players, so why should we yet again believe it will be any different next time?
    Look. We are a complete basket case club complete with a silk lining and pig skin straps. The last thing we need is to start calling for a managers head after a handful of games. I'm embarrassed enough being a Charlton supporter already.

Erm, I'm not calling for his head.
  • Options
    He sounds like a dead man walking in that clip almost as if he's close to giving up. Surely he has realised now what he walked into and the impossibility of the task.
  • Options
    He praises the referee despite the penalty non-award and prefers to discuss the ruthlessness of the finishing, which is probably the right way to go about it
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

He's got to play Watt and Magennis together at Rochdale.

He won't play anything other than 4-2-3-1.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Well Robinson was stating the obvious there, we don't score enough goals. I'm sure he is right about them being an honest bunch, but that doesn't really help our predicament. We've played 30 games this season, which is more than enough to make a proper assessment, and ultimately it appears that the squad just isn't good enough to be a top six side.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think KR is part of the problem, as we are becoming predictable. Every other team knows how he will set us up, and can prepare for it.

Tonight, Oldham were well organised and nullified our attacking play.

At the back, I'm still not convinced by Bauer and Konsa as a duo, I think both need soneone more experienced alongside them.
  • Options
    To me there's a few bits to read in-between the lines and I reckon it's a message to those above as much as anything;

1. He's having to play with kids (Konsa, Aribo, Da Silva and Mavididi), he made the point he was having to play a player for his debut, a loan player at that. i.e. lack of depth in squad, all be it Da Silva was out.

2. Questioning his players, if they want to come to him, what it takes to play for Charlton etc....... to me this still means he has players who don't want to be there as I suspect they think they should be playing at a higher level or just want out (Tex, Johnson, Ulvestad, Watt and possibly Konsa).

3. Lack of goals, he knows most aren't good enough but he has little choice on who to play.

Don't know about dead man walking, but he sounds a little defeated in general, not by the results or players as such but the lack of what he feels he needs to do the job. How many times did he say he knows what he needs to do? Thats a cue to 'but someones not letting me'

I wonder, will he be the first one to walk away from the madhouse before he's pushed? If he lasts until the end of the season I can see him having a meeting with RD to say back me, back who I want to buy or I'm off, and he'll be off!