Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton - Post match views - Feb 2017

Comments

• Options

We need to embrace this defeat. I've jeopardised my marriage to come up here on Valentines Day. However, it's enabled me to treat Cabbles to an all expenses paid trip to Oldham as a late birthday gift.
    I was looking forward to treating him to a relaxing couple of pints before the match but alas not for the first time this season, we turned up with minutes to spare.
    The real positive for us tonight was experiencing a new perspective by sitting in a different part of the ground. That's three different perspectives I have encountered at Oldham. Something to tell the grand-children.
    As the final whistle blew, I implored Cabbles to give up any hope of finding the love of a woman and instead immerse himself in 50 years of obscurity and misery.
    Roll on Rochdale...

In fairness, I think that you can safely assume that your good lady wife will realise that you have been properly punished for your dereliction of your marital duty in this case.

There is no revenge that she could have served up (temperature optional) that would have equalled the thrill of tonight's match.
  • Options
    Robinson mentions creating a number of chances.

Can I just say that (thanks to the Arabs) 0 is a number?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

To me there's a few bits to read in-between the lines and I reckon it's a message to those above as much as anything;

1. He's having to play with kids (Konsa, Aribo, Da Silva and Mavididi), he made the point he was having to play a player for his debut, a loan player at that. i.e. lack of depth in squad, all be it Da Silva was out.

2. Questioning his players, if they want to come to him, what it takes to play for Charlton etc....... to me this still means he has players who don't want to be there as I suspect they think they should be playing at a higher level or just want out (Tex, Johnson, Ulvestad, Watt and possibly Konsa).

3. Lack of goals, he knows most aren't good enough but he has little choice on who to play.

Don't know about dead man walking, but he sounds a little defeated in general, not by the results or players as such but the lack of what he feels he needs to do the job. How many times did he say he knows what he needs to do? Thats a cue to 'but someones not letting me'

I wonder, will he be the first one to walk away from the madhouse before he's pushed? If he lasts until the end of the season I can see him having a meeting with RD to say back me, back who I want to buy or I'm off, and he'll be off!

I agree with you on these points and would certainly like him to give RD an ultimatum.

But I disagree about Watts attitude. I honestly think it's been a lot better since he's returned this time. He came on and seemed like he wanted to be involved in everything tonight and he made a big effort to give a proper thanks to the fans at the end of the game, more so than anyone else.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

To me there's a few bits to read in-between the lines and I reckon it's a message to those above as much as anything;

1. He's having to play with kids (Konsa, Aribo, Da Silva and Mavididi), he made the point he was having to play a player for his debut, a loan player at that. i.e. lack of depth in squad, all be it Da Silva was out.

2. Questioning his players, if they want to come to him, what it takes to play for Charlton etc....... to me this still means he has players who don't want to be there as I suspect they think they should be playing at a higher level or just want out (Tex, Johnson, Ulvestad, Watt and possibly Konsa).

3. Lack of goals, he knows most aren't good enough but he has little choice on who to play.

Don't know about dead man walking, but he sounds a little defeated in general, not by the results or players as such but the lack of what he feels he needs to do the job. How many times did he say he knows what he needs to do? Thats a cue to 'but someones not letting me'

I wonder, will he be the first one to walk away from the madhouse before he's pushed? If he lasts until the end of the season I can see him having a meeting with RD to say back me, back who I want to buy or I'm off, and he'll be off!

I agree with you on these points and would certainly like him to give RD an ultimatum.

But I disagree about Watts attitude. I honestly think it's been a lot better since he's returned this time. He came on and seemed like he wanted to be involved in everything tonight and he made a big effort to give a proper thanks to the fans at the end of the game, more so than anyone else.
    I don't doubt that, but he' unfit and isn't performing for 90 minutes, he drifts in and out all the time, so he's either lazy or his hearts not in it, maybe both. He's just going through the motions.
  • Options
    I said we needed at least 12 points from our games in Feb, and that's now unlikely.
    Very odd stating 11 tonight.

Our best team includes Watt and Holmes EVERY TIME - they should not be on the bench while Botaka and Strawberry Mivi get to start. This is obviously Roland fiddling with the team again.
  • Options
    just a few random thoughts

tonight's game was perhaps made for Ajose .. we had a lot of toothless pressure, lots of balls into and around their area that went astray, lots of wasted effort and chances too much huff and puff, not enough patience, cool headedness and grunt ..
    we lack a 'natural' goal scorer .. a one touch sniffer tonight could have made all the difference .. those who saw Ajose at Walsall will know what I mean .. all he has/had to do was score, I could not give a toss if he never made a decent pass or tackle .. too late now

not really CAFC related .. BUT .. look what a 'real' manager can do ..
    Neil Warnock at Cardiff is producing yet another Houdini act from a struggling club .. Steve Evans at Mansfield .. yet another example of him motivating and cajoling performances from a bunch of previously underperforming players (was he ever really considered for our job?) .. and don't even mention what Eddie Jones has done to the same bunch of RFU players who had lost plot under the previous group of 'innovative' coaches

as has been said above, Robinson's tactics and theories are too complex and airy fairy for our division .. 4 4 2 is required, not diamonds, 2 up 2 down plus 6 across or whatever the fuck he advocates .. kiss Robinson, kiss .. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
  • Options
    He talks about the youngsters learning etc, might have been an idea to bring in some more experienced quality midfielders to help us make a bid for promotion. After all he had the full backing of the hard working liar & the owner but chose not to bring anyone else in ...... or so he said. The young arsenal boy, he's also learning. Why did we sign him them ? Why not spend some of the Lookman/Fox money on a decent striker when he obviously didn't rate Ajose ?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Got halfway through listening to that garbage before giving up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

just a few random thoughts

tonight's game was perhaps made for Ajose .. we had a lot of toothless pressure, lots of balls into and around their area that went astray, lots of wasted effort and chances too much huff and puff, not enough patience, cool headedness and grunt ..
    we lack a 'natural' goal scorer .. a one touch sniffer tonight could have made all the difference .. those who saw Ajose at Walsall will know what I mean .. all he has/had to do was score, I could not give a toss if he never made a decent pass or tackle .. too late now

not really CAFC related .. BUT .. look what a 'real' manager can do ..
    Neil Warnock at Cardiff is producing yet another Houdini act from a struggling club .. Steve Evans at Mansfield .. yet another example of him motivating and cajoling performances from a bunch of previously underperforming players (was he ever really considered for our job?) .. and don't even mention what Eddie Jones has done to the same bunch of RFU players who had lost plot under the previous group of 'innovative' coaches

as has been said above, Robinson's tactics and theories are too complex and airy fairy for our division .. 4 4 2 is required, not diamonds, 2 up 2 down plus 6 across or whatever the fuck he advocates .. kiss Robinson, kiss .. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

Good point. From corners we need someone to poach the loose balls

Konte may be able to successfully impose his tactics on a team of quality players, maybe KR needs a rethink
  • Options

Interestingly I think the worm has turned on the other forum.

Thank goodness I didn't post that, SHG . But totally agree with you.

My name's mud over there already .....
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

I think we should give them until the end of the summer so we can say lets give them till the end of the next January window again, then its only a few more months so we can give them until the end of that summer too

Now you're just being silly !
  • Options

Leuth said:

Apologist here

Reading the match thread it looked like we battered them, missed loads of good chances, keeper had a stormer, stonewall penalty denied. We've clearly played much worse this season and drawn 1-1.

A fully firing Magennis and we win that one without much difficulty imo - we've just been very unlucky and Robinson hasn't had the chance to build the squad he wants. It's important he's given the summer to do so.

Short-termist 'THE CLUB IS DEAD', 'KR IS TOAST' bulls**t is not helping anyone. The club is being ineptly run, sure, but given our squad, resources etc I think we've hit our floor. The only way really is up.

Hang on, we've just had a transfer window where Robinson stated he could have brought in more players, but he didn't. Whether Karl was being honest or not, it doesn't matter, either Duchatelet didn't back him financially, or Robinson failed to bring in sufficient quality players to get us into the play offs. Let's remember it was Robinson himself who stated that anything other than the play offs is failure.

So let's say that Robinson WAS at fault and he didn't bring in enough quality, then why should we back him to do things properly at the end of the season? If Duchatelet was at fault, then it's just business as usual when it comes to signing players, so why should we yet again believe it will be any different next time?
    Look. We are a complete basket case club complete with a silk lining and pig skin straps. The last thing we need is to start calling for a managers head after a handful of games. I'm embarrassed enough being a Charlton supporter already.

I've heard it's possible to make a cock out of a scouse's ear.

'People need to show they are going to dedicate their lives to this football club for the last third of the season.'

Righto mate.
  • Options

He talks about the youngsters learning etc, might have been an idea to bring in some more experienced quality midfielders to help us make a bid for promotion. After all he had the full backing of the hard working liar & the owner but chose not to bring anyone else in ...... or so he said. The young arsenal boy, he's also learning. Why did we sign him them ? Why not spend some of the Lookman/Fox money on a decent striker when he obviously didn't rate Ajose ?

Roland has said in the past that any manager that comes in needs to have a track record of working with young players. This suggests to me that he expects our youngsters to play regularly. It's obvious that his reasons are financial. I don't think he cares about much else other than when the next Gomez or Lookman will come along so he can sell them and pay off some of the debt the club owes him.
    Absolutely mate, my post was only about what we should be doing. There's no way that would happen, as you say it's all about selling the next youth product
  • Options
    Both Slade and Robinson neatly accumulated exactly 1.25pts per game.

However boring Slade had a better goals per game ratio than expansive Robinson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I didn't attend the game. I didn't listen on the radio. I don't much care about the result.
    What do you want? A 'better' Roland, or Roland gone? It can't be both. It's time to make a decision.
    The mantra of 'Support the team, not the regime' was, is, and shall remain unrealistic. You can't have your cake and eat it. What is your preference? A continuance, or a change? To secure the latter may necessitate a hiatus in your active support. The choice is yours.

lol for this. Both supporting the team and simultaneously not the regime is completely realistic, as you know.
  • Options

We need to embrace this defeat. I've jeopardised my marriage to come up here on Valentines Day. However, it's enabled me to treat Cabbles to an all expenses paid trip to Oldham as a late birthday gift.
    I was looking forward to treating him to a relaxing couple of pints before the match but alas not for the first time this season, we turned up with minutes to spare.
    The real positive for us tonight was experiencing a new perspective by sitting in a different part of the ground. That's three different perspectives I have encountered at Oldham. Something to tell the grand-children.
    As the final whistle blew, I implored Cabbles to give up any hope of finding the love of a woman and instead immerse himself in 50 years of obscurity and misery.
    Roll on Rochdale...

At least the coach service did not let you down!
  • Options
    Just when I thought we'd turned the corner by beating Bolton, along comes the ghost of Charlton's recent past and kicks me squarely in the balls. @Clem_Snide and @cabbles have summed it up for me. Have only been to a couple of games this season and my apathy will continue for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

I think we should give them until the end of the summer so we can say lets give them till the end of the next January window again, then its only a few more months so we can give them until the end of that summer too

SeriouslyRed/Irritating using another user name?
  • Options
    I have retrieved and ironed my relegation betting slip.
  • Options
    KR started to question players commitment/desire now. Not a good route to go down and could lose him the dressing room.

I would suggest they don't seem a bad bunch and that they put a full shift in mostly. I also don't see how our players aren't as good as half the division about us.

In my opinion, he should start to look a bit closer to home and using the tools at his disposal in a different way to win matches or at least score more goals.

• Options
    Was there any news on why Page wasn't involved?
  • Options
    god knows, but look at the signings in the window, Page,Da Silva, Forster Caskey, Bryne, the amount of time they have spent on the pitch so far is shockin.