Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD ANNOUNCEMENT: Unity Protest in Sint-Truiden on Saturday, March 4th - transport provided

Comments

• Addickted said:

They don't know it yet, but we are going to belt through Brussels Midi station to catch a connection, and thus claim the fastest journey time to S-T (less than three hours from Ebbsfleet)

Not even close :wink:

You know that when it says 130 on their motorways, its kph not mph, right?

And as for your carbon footprint :wink:
    Is it? No wonder I've managed to get there so fast before without breaking the speed limit in my head ;)
    Come on, then. How will you get to S-T faster than us?

Oh I won't, I will be driving. Within the speed limit.
  • For all of you driving, you should be aware that the laws in France and Belgium mean that in addition to headlamp its to deflect your headlamps, you also need a hi-viz jacket in the car in case you break down. Both less than £20 in Halfords. The police are quite hot on pulling Uk licence plates to check. I believe the French also have a law that requires the driver to have a breathalyser kit, although I believe it's never been enacted in France and so whilst legal, they have yet to take any action over it.
  • This is getting more like a 'Top Gear' production by the minute!
  • Addickted said:

They don't know it yet, but we are going to belt through Brussels Midi station to catch a connection, and thus claim the fastest journey time to S-T (less than three hours from Ebbsfleet)

Is it? No wonder I've managed to get there so fast before without breaking the speed limit in my head ;)

Does that mean 50 in the fast lane?
  • Addickted said:

Yes I got confused with who was replying to me. I thought it was @Addickted, who apparently has form for driving a Jaguar of unknown age at 130 mph on a Belgian motorway.

There are various stretches where Eurostar runs alongside the motorways, so if Addickted would kindly supply a foto of his vehicle, we can look out for it and wave our vol-au-vents as we roar past him at 190 mph.

• N01R4M said:

If any female fans are hesitating about going to Belgium because they would be travelling solo, I'm sure women in the WAR contingent will offer you help and advice. The Charlton family will support you. This will be one of those "I was there" times in the club's history.

Said it before, but it's worth repeating: don't hesitate, we are a welcoming lot and there are quite a few of us who have not met up with our other travellers before.
    Yes, there are quite a few ladies now, we don't all know each other. More will be very welcome.
  • Taken from Twitter ..

Morning #cafc fans. Someone seems to be applying pressure to stop our unity protest! I wonder who that could be? WE WILL PROTEST! Red Army!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Yes I got confused with who was replying to me. I thought it was @Addickted, who apparently has form for driving a Jaguar of unknown age at 130 mph on a Belgian motorway.

There are various stretches where Eurostar runs alongside the motorways, so if Addickted would kindly supply a foto of his vehicle, we can look out for it and wave our vol-au-vents as we roar past him at 190 mph.

I'll be kipping in the back, having nightmares over my share of the petrol costs!
    Mind you I'm one to talk.
  • edited February 2017

What's this about then?

Edit. Seen @_MrDick beat me to it!

• What's this about then?

Edit. Seen @_MrDick beat me to it!
    But what's being done to apply pressure?
  • For those people travelling by train from Hasselt - on 4th March there are trains at 8.29 and 12.29 that take 15 mins (3.40 euro) to get to ST, however, it appears that all trains inbetween are 2 stops and take 48 mins.

Those travelling from Brussels should note that the train to ST leaves at 16 mins past every hour and takes 59 mins.

Mr Prezz, please check this but according to my European Rail Timetable is 16 mins past from Brussels Central, but 12 mins past from Brussels Midi, which is the Eurostar station.Which unfortunately makes the connection with the 09.15 from Ebbsfleet super tight, but I am going to propose we try it, if the Eurostar is bang on time.

This might be a good time to mention that the publisher of the European Rail Timetable is a Charlton fan :-) His name is John Potter, we used to go to away games oop north together in his Granada more than 30 years ago.
  • edited February 2017

For those people travelling by train from Hasselt - on 4th March there are trains at 8.29 and 12.29 that take 15 mins (3.40 euro) to get to ST, however, it appears that all trains inbetween are 2 stops and take 48 mins.

Those travelling from Brussels should note that the train to ST leaves at 16 mins past every hour and takes 59 mins.

Mr Prezz, please check this but according to my European Rail Timetable is 16 mins past from Brussels Central, but 12 mins past from Brussels Midi, which is the Eurostar station.Which unfortunately makes the connection with the 09.15 from Ebbsfleet super tight, but I am going to propose we try it, if the Eurostar is bang on time.

This might be a good time to mention that the publisher of the European Rail Timetable is a Charlton fan :-) His name is John Potter, we used to go to away games oop north together in his Granada more than 30 years ago.

For those people travelling by train from Hasselt - on 4th March there are trains at 8.29 and 12.29 that take 15 mins (3.40 euro) to get to ST, however, it appears that all trains inbetween are 2 stops and take 48 mins.

Ok, will do once i've got better Internet connection later today. This came from VIRAIL?
  • edited February 2017
    Yeah,yeah, i know how these things can change very quickly, but the15 day weather forecast for 4th March is sunny and 15 degrees !......

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/brussels-weather/be.aspx?day=20
  • I have a hotel room at the Belrom going if anyone going hasn't got a room yet. I have until 1st March to cancel. Message me if interested please
  • Wife has done the bookings - our hotel is in Zepperen - hopefully near ST Truiden or at least in Belgium!!!
  • Brussels central or Brussels midi which one is best/easiest/quickest to get to ST?
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcwill said:

I have a hotel room at the Belrom going if anyone going hasn't got a room yet. I have until 1st March to cancel. Message me if interested please

Sent a pm ;)
  • Solidgone said:

Brussels central or Brussels midi which one is best/easiest/quickest to get to ST?

You are staying in Brussels, aren't you?

The S-T train starts at Midi, calls at Central and then Nord. Regular hourly service

• Note there will be B20/CARD representatives at Sint Truiden station to guide anyone who needs guiding.The Buffet and protest are only a short 5 min walk away.

I hope you've told Sue Perks a later time than everyone else.
  • I looked at the info on trains.

The Brussels midi station is connected by walkways to the Brussels South station which is where the train to Sint truiden leaves from.

It reckons the 4 minute dash is feasible.

I've been in the station and although I've not done this connection, seems right to me.

I think this is the train that goes from ebbsfleet at around 09:15.

• Looking forward to a good, peaceful protest in Sint Truiden, home of STVV.

The Brussels midi station is connected by walkways to the Brussels South station which is where the train to Sint truiden leaves from.

I've been in the station and although I've not done this connection, seems right to me.

I walked it (caught the train to Leige) last year and 4 mins is tight unless we have 200 Usain Bolts going over.

Trains in Brussels have been a nightmare this weekend, not turning up or being indefinitely delayed with no explanation, the English should feel very at home in a fortnight!

I know this station pretty well. The only way we will make this connection is if the Eurostar is bang on time, and if we walk to the front coach of the Eurostar before it arrives. The Eurostar is a bloody big train.

It's worth a try but no big deal if we can't make it. There is a row of pubs outside which have that slightly grimy atmosphere that seems to characterise station pubs everyhere :-)

• I spent an afternoon in the large bar opposite the station and found it a pleasant place to spend a few hours.
  • I should really get my deposit and and get booked now.

I will do Day trip coach unless somebody has a room in ST that will go unused (due to their change of plans etc.). Please PM me if you have/may soon have such a room.

Cheers

Ps. Is there a deadline for sign up?
  • Bookings still being taken, Siv.