Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo (*Update Page 6* Rumour he is to reject contract and move to Bundesliga)

Comments

• Options

seth plum said:

If Roland can get some money for Joe in January he will do that rather than no money at the end of the season, especially if he has the nous for add ons.
    The money will go towards losses.

He may not have a choice unfortunately. Joe can agree a pre-contract from 1st Jan with no input from Charlton. At that point it doesn't matter who bids what, no-one can stop him from signing that deal, and if his heart is set on a move to Germany that's where he'll go. The best Roland could hope for from that point on is that Frankfurt or whomever are willing to bung him a tenner to take Joe early rather than waiting until July. If Roland has any intention to be Rolanding in January he would have to be hawking Joe around to anyone who will listen in England now in the hopes that the deal can be wrapped up at the start of the window, which probably wouldn't be ideal for Joe's match focus.
    Hopefully this rumour will make Rolund offer a decent contract that would trigger a decent fee in the summer if we don't go up.
  • Options
    100% this above, I love the atmosphere created at away games the last few years and the variety of songs (if somewhat homogenous rip offs from everyone else), I sing 'were Charlton Athletic, we're on our way back' with so little belief or conviction, we going nowhere under 'El Duche' despite the best efforts of our management team.
  • Options

Joe's the only central midfielder we have with the energy to get up and down the pitch and the ability to carry the ball at pace. Without him we'll go back to the soul destroying static team we've seen over the last few years and we can kiss any hopes of promotion goodbye.

We can sign back Andrew Crofts and Kevin Foley to get us through to the summer.
    Oh God Kevin Foley, I'd forgotten about him. Acceptable L1 reserve right back, atrocious ponderous apocalypse of a holding midfielder
  • Options

Blucher said:

The agent might be earning his corn here by stimulating interest generally and putting the frighteners on Duchatelet to sell next month - not that the idiot needs any encouragement to do so. Practically the first thing he did nearly five years ago was to sell Yann Kermogant and Dale Stephens for £400K and £700K respectively. It's rooted in his DNA and everyone in the football world knows that. They also know that Duchatelet has zero interest in, or knowledge of, football and that he doesn't give a toss about us.

As someone said earlier, the best outcome for us is if Joe lets his contract run down - despite Duchatelet's best efforts - and stays for the rest of the season. If there is a change of ownership and we were promoted, there might be a chance of keeping him a little longer but I doubt it. Absent a change of ownership, Joe will most certainly be out the door - as would any of us if our employer withdrew a contract offer and subsequently offered 50% less. What a gross insult to the player and, indeed, his agent. A story about the breakdown of those 'negotiations' and Duchatelet's penny-pinching was placed with the press just before the start of the season (maybe also with the Independent ?) and the latest one may be a well targeted and richly deserved wind up of Duchatelet, who will be desperate for (1) any kind of fee (discounted for cash) and (2) perhaps more importantly for him, a sell-on fee.

What may encourage Joe (and, indeed, any player) to enter into a pre-contract agreement is to secure his contractual future and obviate the risk of sustaining a serious injury and finding himself out of contract.

The next one out of the door is likely to be Fosu, although his stock has fallen significantly and he's missed a lot of games through injury. If he is going to get a decent move at the end of the season, he really does need a good second half of the season.

With Dale (and to an extent Yann) the fault lies with the spivs. Once a player is down to the last 6 months of his contract, you're stuffed. You either sell (Dale), keep them so they leave on a free (Hamer) or you have to give them an excessively generous contract (e.g. Arsenal and Ozil). Bosman changed the balance of power between player and club. Roland made a big error with Yann, but it has to be remembered that Bournemouth (with their Russian owner) were throwing money at the team, and massively breaching FFP rules at that time.

With Aribo, the screw up is allowing him to to get to this stage, the farce with the contract negotiations last summer. What happens now is out of the club's control.

Football contracts changed after Bosman, either you give massive long deals and risk being stuck with players on unaffordable long deals, or you give shorter term deals and lose them on a free. We've benefited from this with Taylor who we got on a free.
    Very true. There's also a little bit of re-writing history with Dale. Yes, his contract was running down but we had already said wed let him leave to move back up north before R*land turned up. I remember reading powell saying that at some point. Then he pulled a "dowie" on us! No doubt Rolly was happy with the cash though
  • Options

Joe's the only central midfielder we have with the energy to get up and down the pitch and the ability to carry the ball at pace. Without him we'll go back to the soul destroying static team we've seen over the last few years and we can kiss any hopes of promotion goodbye.

We can sign back Andrew Crofts and Kevin Foley to get us through to the summer.
    Oh God Kevin Foley, I'd forgotten about him. Acceptable L1 reserve right back, atrocious ponderous apocalypse of a holding midfielder
    Crofts now at Newport and Foley with Billericay.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Frankfurt have just completed their Europa League group stage. They've won every game. Come on, I can believe Birmingham, but there's no way Eintracht Frankfurt are bothering their arses about Joe Aribo.

Johnnie Jackson said Joe Aribo is good enough to play in the premier league one day and Bayern Munich once signed a player from Tranmere.

Top clubs have scouts all over the place and for young footballer, who’s only been at a pro club for a couple of seasons, Joe Aribo has tons of potential.

It’s not that far fetched at all.
  • Options

Frankfurt have just completed their Europa League group stage. They've won every game. Come on, I can believe Birmingham, but there's no way Eintracht Frankfurt are bothering their arses about Joe Aribo.

Some other German side (Stuttgart?) signed some kid from MK Dons a season or two ago... Its going to be a huge wake up call for English sides soon, our kids are impressing on the international side so it wont matter if you play them or not as foreign clubs will be sniffing

Especially if those clubs abroad get a six month head start on English clubs when it comes to freebies because they can speak to them earlier
  • Options
    Keep him until the transfer window closes, crash out of the EU with no deal, no work permit for move abroad, fulfil Meires fantasy of seeing our future stars in the Premier League!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Some other German side (Stuttgart?) signed some kid from MK Dons a season or two ago... Its going to be a huge wake up call for English sides soon, our kids are impressing on the international side so it wont matter if you play them or not as foreign clubs will be sniffing

Especially if those clubs abroad get a six month head start on English clubs when it comes to freebies because they can speak to them earlier
    Guessing you mean

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Danso
  • Options
    Interestingly whilst finding that out I noticed Dale Jennings is now playing at Runcorn Town after 2 years without a club.

When he moved to Munich as a 19 year old, everyone was talking about him as being the next big thing.

I wonder what happened to him
  • Options

Interestingly whilst finding that out I noticed Dale Jennings is now playing at Runcorn Town after 2 years without a club.

When he moved to Munich as a 19 year old, everyone was talking about him as being the next big thing.

The hype was clearly unwarranted, but I believe he suffered a lot with injury and then some personal issues last year.

Should be good enough (injury permitted) to play League football I would imagine.
  • Options

Guessing you mean

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Danso
    Yeah thats the lad
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Ask @paulie8290 as I think he’s just been looking this stuff up...
    I think he ended up at Runcorn
  • Options

Johnnie Jackson said Joe Aribo is good enough to play in the premier league one day and Bayern Munich once signed a player from Tranmere.

Top clubs have scouts all over the place and for young footballer, who’s only been at a pro club for a couple of seasons, Joe Aribo has tons of potential.

I agree it is not far fetched for German clubs to be looking at talent in England. However, Frankfurt, like all German clubs have a strong academy - it is a Bundesliga requirement. That academy will be feeding through a lot of players of Joe's age who need to be developed, get game time. I like him, and if Jacko says that, then I believe it to be true. "One day", though, is what Jacko said. I just don't think he has shown enough yet for a Bundesliga club as strong as Frankfurt to take a punt on him.

I think I'm ready to go all Andy Delort on this story.

• Options

I agree it is not far fetched for German clubs to be looking at talent in England. However, Frankfurt, like all German clubs have a strong academy - it is a Bundesliga requirement. That academy will be feeding through a lot of players of Joe's age who need to be developed, get game time. I like him, and if Jacko says that, then I believe it to be true. "One day", though, is what Jacko said. I just don't think he has shown enough yet for a Bundesliga club as strong as Frankfurt to take a punt on him.

Yes, he's not a star of the England U17/U18 team, he's a 22 year old who came up through non league and is making a decent impression in the 3rd division.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

seth plum said:

If Roland can get some money for Joe in January he will do that rather than no money at the end of the season, especially if he has the nous for add ons.
    The money will go towards losses.

Afraid this looks more than likely. He probably won't be the only one. And here we were getting all worked up and excited after Tuesday night. Can't stay positive for too long if you're a Charlton fan.

Yep and with all those injuries a PO place is looking very unlikely.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

he's a 22 year old who came up through non league and is making a decent impression in the 3rd division.
    No different to Lookman really then, just a little bit older
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

he's a 22 year old who came up through non league and is making a decent impression in the 3rd division.
    No different to Lookman really then, just a little bit older
    Lookman has loads of England youth caps
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Attackers and goalscirers always attract greater interest and I don’t think that Joe Aribo can realistically be compared to Ademola Lookman. Joe is not, in my view, ready for the Premier League or the Bundeslegia at this stage. His agent is probably ‘bigging’ The position up.

Objectively, Joe would benefit from an extra year with us - especially if Lee Bowyer can miraculously get us promoted - but who would want to stay at a club with Duchatelet at the helm, who offers a player a new contract and then slashes it by 50% ?

What a complete tool this man is. I suspect that this was a decision made following a review of the latest parlous financial spreadsheet, rather than one informed by discussion with people like Bowyer, Jacko, Jason Euell and Steve Avory, who know what they’re talking about.

Unquestionably. And these leeches on the game need to be called out. That of course was what RD said, except that of course he put his faith in one to manage all his clubs' dealings which is about the worst way to work with such leeches. At least set them off against each other, it's the only way you get them to do any real work for their money.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Taxi_Lad said:

As much as I’d like to blame Douchebag, for as long as I’ve supported Charlton we have always been a selling club. We have always fretted over losing our best players in the transfer window and any young starlet normally leaves before we benefit from the finished article. Even in the Prem we were easy pickings for the bigger clubs (a la Scot Parker).
    It’s simply that where we are now thanks to douche, there are a shitload of clubs bigger and than us

And we "nicked" players off "smaller" clubs like Ipswich.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Taxi_Lad said:

As much as I’d like to blame Douchebag, for as long as I’ve supported Charlton we have always been a selling club. We have always fretted over losing our best players in the transfer window and any young starlet normally leaves before we benefit from the finished article. Even in the Prem we were easy pickings for the bigger clubs (a la Scot Parker).
    It’s simply that where we are now thanks to douche, there are a shitload of clubs bigger and than us

Or indeed Staines Town...
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Or indeed Staines Town...
    Who have now decided not to pay any players. They've gone amateur for the remainder of this disastrous season.
  • Options
    Absolutely f***ing outstanding!!