Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo (*Update Page 6* Rumour he is to reject contract and move to Bundesliga)

Comments

• Options

So basically, it looks like he will stay till the end of the season then leave on a free. Hopefully he will help get us promoted this season :)

Cant see it myself.

This is Roland we are talking about here, he wont let a player leave for feee and get nothing, expect him to be sold in jan for less than 500k, anything Roland can get in Jan he will think is better than the zero he will get if he leaves in sunmer
  • Options
    But the player won't want to leave if he has been tapped up from abroad.
  • Options

But the player won't want to leave if he has been tapped up from abroad.

Yes, he can't be forced to move just because the club wants the cash
  • Options

So basically, it looks like he will stay till the end of the season then leave on a free. Hopefully he will help get us promoted this season :)

Or the threat of him going abroad for nothing in the summer is there to encourage Roland to accept a domestic offer in January.
  • Options
    Yes, that would be clever on the part of his agent, but possible.
  • Options

Or the threat of him going abroad for nothing in the summer is there to encourage Roland to accept a domestic offer in January.
    This story hasn't appeared for no reason.

Quite rightly, his agent is looking for the best deal for his client and if this story gets Joe a better deal at Charlton or a move higher up the league, job done.

Bad new for us fans but we don't matter, we'll just turn up to see the next premiership stars. That Lapslie is good, isn't he.
  • Options
    Bauer is likely to leave for free in the summer to i have heard.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Bauer is likely to leave for free in the summer to i have heard.

Yes he has stated he will not sign a new contract
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

... we don't matter, we'll just turn up to see the next premiership stars.

... and enjoy a dance.
  • Options
    As much as I’d like to blame Douchebag, for as long as I’ve supported Charlton we have always been a selling club. We have always fretted over losing our best players in the transfer window and any young starlet normally leaves before we benefit from the finished article. Even in the Prem we were easy pickings for the bigger clubs (a la Scot Parker).
    It’s simply that where we are now thanks to douche, there are a shitload of clubs bigger and than us
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Taxi_Lad said:

As much as I’d like to blame Douchebag, for as long as I’ve supported Charlton we have always been a selling club. We have always fretted over losing our best players in the transfer window and any young starlet normally leaves before we benefit from the finished article. Even in the Prem we were easy pickings for the bigger clubs (a la Scot Parker).
    It’s simply that where we are now thanks to douche, there are a shitload of clubs bigger and than us

There is a difference though. Back then we sold our players when they outgrew us. The aim was to be as successful as we could on the pitch, which sometimes resulted in selling our better players.

RD and KM saw the Championship as our place and the plan was to be a selling club. Success on the pitch wasn’t important to them.

In the last few years we’ve sold youngsters that haven’t even consistently stood out for us in the Championship or League 1, never mind been one of our stand out players.

https://youtu.be/kgtOexcktRM
    I’m not disagreeing with you, the opposite in fact but because we’re in league one, the standard of player doesn’t need to be out of this world to stand out in our team and there are a lot more teams above us in the pyramid which would be considered a step up. Sad but we should not be surprised by the potential leaving of Joe Aribo
  • Options
    I was thinking of going on Saturday, now I'm thinking of not going.
  • Options

Aribo will still be here on Saturday. :smile:
  • Options

Cmon, Bluewater will be heaving on Saturday!
  • Options
    TBH and it may just be the games I have seen (which is not many living in USA) Aribo hasn't really stood out. I'll take Lapslie's performance on Tuesday over his. Cue the abuse!
  • Options

Joe's the only central midfielder we have with the energy to get up and down the pitch and the ability to carry the ball at pace. Without him we'll go back to the soul destroying static team we've seen over the last few years and we can kiss any hopes of promotion goodbye.

Lapslie?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whoever said he has all the raw ingredients and just needs to work on his decision making is correct. Whenever I've seen him play I've seen a proper player. His energy levels and touch mean he won't be a third tier player for long it's just so fucking depressing this is as good as it gets under shitbag.

I've always accepted grudgingly that we are a selling club. Let's face it, unless you are Real Madrid you are a selling club but wouldn't it be nice to see us assemble a decent squad, build a core of a team or even a whole team and compete?

A bit like what we did with Powelly, that squad was a sprinkling of class and depth off challenging for higher things. We needed a number 9 and a winger for the first team and some options for the bench and we would have been a force in 2012/13. Sadly our last set of idiot owners were brassic so that didn't happen now we just have the slow march towards oblivion under shitarse Dushitalet
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I was thinking who Joe reminds me of the other day and it's just struck me that it's Jason Euell. Everyone remembers Euell the striker but he also played as a box to box midfielder for a couple of seasons alongside Parker and Jensen and his energy and drive is exactly what I see in Aribo. Does anyone know if Euell has been coaching Aribo because the similarities in their games are definitely there?
  • Options
    My comment from 5 months ago.

Valiantphil
    July 17
    Those with deals ending in 2019 are probably looking now for a move, or a move in Jan.
    Not good.
  • Options
    Don't know what you are all worrying about. The new owners will give him a brand new, much improved contract on Jan 1st. Isn't that right. You all said back in Sept that the reason why the Aussies didn't seal the deal then was.."what's the point in buying us now when they can't effect anything....better to buy us in late December and save themselves £££££ in running costs between now & then"

I wonder where @jimmyseed gone to ??
  • Options
    Blucher said:

The agent might be earning his corn here by stimulating interest generally and putting the frighteners on Duchatelet to sell next month - not that the idiot needs any encouragement to do so. Practically the first thing he did nearly five years ago was to sell Yann Kermogant and Dale Stephens for £400K and £700K respectively. It's rooted in his DNA and everyone in the football world knows that. They also know that Duchatelet has zero interest in, or knowledge of, football and that he doesn't give a toss about us.

As someone said earlier, the best outcome for us is if Joe lets his contract run down - despite Duchatelet's best efforts - and stays for the rest of the season. If there is a change of ownership and we were promoted, there might be a chance of keeping him a little longer but I doubt it. Absent a change of ownership, Joe will most certainly be out the door - as would any of us if our employer withdrew a contract offer and subsequently offered 50% less. What a gross insult to the player and, indeed, his agent. A story about the breakdown of those 'negotiations' and Duchatelet's penny-pinching was placed with the press just before the start of the season (maybe also with the Independent ?) and the latest one may be a well targeted and richly deserved wind up of Duchatelet, who will be desperate for (1) any kind of fee (discounted for cash) and (2) perhaps more importantly for him, a sell-on fee.

What may encourage Joe (and, indeed, any player) to enter into a pre-contract agreement is to secure his contractual future and obviate the risk of sustaining a serious injury and finding himself out of contract.

The next one out of the door is likely to be Fosu, although his stock has fallen significantly and he's missed a lot of games through injury. If he is going to get a decent move at the end of the season, he really does need a good second half of the season.

With Dale (and to an extent Yann) the fault lies with the spivs. Once a player is down to the last 6 months of his contract, you're stuffed. You either sell (Dale), keep them so they leave on a free (Hamer) or you have to give them an excessively generous contract (e.g. Arsenal and Ozil). Bosman changed the balance of power between player and club. Roland made a big error with Yann, but it has to be remembered that Bournemouth (with their Russian owner) were throwing money at the team, and massively breaching FFP rules at that time.

With Aribo, the screw up is allowing him to to get to this stage, the farce with the contract negotiations last summer. What happens now is out of the club's control.

Football contracts changed after Bosman, either you give massive long deals and risk being stuck with players on unaffordable long deals, or you give shorter term deals and lose them on a free. We've benefited from this with Taylor who we got on a free.
  • Options

cabbles said:

great player and got a great future ahead of him. Ideally I would like to see him stay until the end of the season. Sure RD has other plans. Can't see him being with us next season

Unless we win promotion.
    We have several players out of contract in the summer.
    What division we are in next season could be a factor as to them accepting a new contract or not.
    Similar was said about the club being sold last season.
  • Options
    I would hate him to go to a Championship side for a stupid amount in January. I would rather he went for nothing in the summer.

Would we not get a development fee if he went to a league club?
  • Options

Cant see it myself.

This is Roland we are talking about here, he wont let a player leave for feee and get nothing, expect him to be sold in jan for less than 500k, anything Roland can get in Jan he will think is better than the zero he will get if he leaves in sunmer
    Roland has zero choice, it's 100% down to Aribo.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

TBH and it may just be the games I have seen (which is not many living in USA) Aribo hasn't really stood out. I'll take Lapslie's performance on Tuesday over his. Cue the abuse!

Neither of them have impressed as much as say Gomez, Shelvey or Lookman did at younger ages but many also thought Konsa didn’t stand out. He’s playing regularly in the Championship and continuing to be linked with a Premier League move. Like Konsa they’re young players that clearly have a lot of potential.

Tuesday was the sort of game Lapslie’s style can stand out in.

However if we’re trying to break down a team Aribo has the better technical ability of the two. He’s also scored 5 so far this season, while Lapslie has lacked composure in front of goal.

I can see Aribo going to play more games at a higher leve, but I wouldn’t write off Lapslie surprising some with how far his career goes.
  • Options

Don't know what you are all worrying about. The new owners will give him a brand new, much improved contract on Jan 1st. Isn't that right. You all said back in Sept that the reason why the Aussies didn't seal the deal then was.."what's the point in buying us now when they can't effect anything....better to buy us in late December and save themselves £££££ in running costs between now & then"

I wonder where @jimmyseed gone to ??

No, we didn't "all" say that. Some people did but not all.