Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Aribo (*Update Page 6* Rumour he is to reject contract and move to Bundesliga)

Comments

• It’s a classic football scenario really. He was frozen out and when he got his chance he’s grabbed it. The shirt is his to lose.
  • good player but i think robinsons assessment in september was spot on - good in tight spots but needs to be more pro active and capable when he has a bit of time on the ball - he tends to react rather than dictate but reckon he will get better and better
  • sounds harsh but personally wouldn't have kag anywhere near - really don't understand how he is still here when u look at some of the players we have released in the past - including, i believe, walsall's nr 10 yesterday - he was a good player
  • I agree, there were times when we were chasing games earlier in the season where we could have desperately done with his dribbling and finishing ability.

That said, I think he's really grown a lot in the last month. When you look at his first performance to now, it's night and day. He can still drift in and out of games a bit, there's still work to do there, but he is a wonderful player.
  • SDAddick said:

I agree, there were times when we were chasing games earlier in the season where we could have desperately done with his dribbling and finishing ability.

That said, I think he's really grown a lot in the last month. When you look at his first performance to now, it's night and day. He can still drift in and out of games a bit, there's still work to do there, but he is a wonderful player.

He's definitely improved a lot, but this could have happened 3 months ago. Instead, by default KAG would be brought on, it's nearly 20 sub appearances he's made this season, most of which were pretty ineffective.
  • I would like to see him play at 10. This formation would be the best we can do using Robinson's formation ( assuming Konsa is going)
    Amos
    Solly Pearce Bauer De Silva
    Kashi Foster- Caskey
    Mavididi Aribo Fosu
    Magennis

Lots of goals in the three behind Magennis.

With Reeves, Marshall and Ahearne-Grant on the bench, plus the 2 new loanees that us a fair bit of attacking power.
  • I spent much of autumn moaning about Aribo not getting any game time, not even from the bench. Indeed until the end of November, he made just TWO substitute appearances of ONE minute each, and this during a period when Marshall and Reeves had both been injured.

Since then due to injuries elsewhere he's been a regular, and one of our best players in recent weeks, with 3 goals and the assist for Marshall's goal last week.

Two months ago speculation was that he would go out on loan in January, now if anything, the worry is more about him being bought by a higher club.

I'm still baffled at his lack of involvement earlier in the season when he had been fit the whole time. But do feel vindicated.

Good call. He looked useful last season, and it did seem a bit odd.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been a massive fan of Aribo. Did baffle me earlier in the season that he was used so little.

One criticism of Karl i do have is that earlier in the season he didnt rotate enough/at all. Even for meaningless cup games.

I understand playing a settled 11 but with the sports science we have now it's well known that taking a player off 10 mins before the end makes a huge difference in their recovery and preparation for the next match. We know Aribo is good enough so why we didn't use him replacing JFC or one of the attacking 3 late on in games is strange. That's before we even think about rotation when playing twice in a week.

There were other areas where the same thing happened. I felt Jackson could have been used more off the bench in seeing games out or going for a late goal. Konsa barely featured in the first 12 games of the season. He could have played right back to allow Solls a rest when we were playing regularly.

Given the lack of depth we had in some areas we really had to make use of the depth in areas where we did have it. We couldnt afford an injury crisis. I'm not saying it was caused by a lack of rotation but it could have reduced the impact. If we had used these players more we could have prevented some injuries. Solly may not have broken down. One of Pearce/Bauer may not have been our for so long. Clarke/Fosu may have played less so stayed fit. Ricky may not have had to work so hard so may have not suffered his loss of form. JFC may still be fit we have massively missed these players.. If these players weren't overworked in the early season it could have been different.

Agreed, Aribo could have replaced from the bench any of the attacking 3 midfielders, especially as with Marshall and Reeves injured we didn't have that much cover there. To me he is better suited in a more advanced position anyway

Crofts wasn't brilliant, but we do lack that extra experienced player to put into midfield, someone to reduce the workload on Kashi and JFC.
  • I've been a massive fan of Aribo. Did baffle me earlier in the season that he was used so little.

One criticism of Karl i do have is that earlier in the season he didnt rotate enough/at all. Even for meaningless cup games.

I understand playing a settled 11 but with the sports science we have now it's well known that taking a player off 10 mins before the end makes a huge difference in their recovery and preparation for the next match. We know Aribo is good enough so why we didn't use him replacing JFC or one of the attacking 3 late on in games is strange. That's before we even think about rotation when playing twice in a week.

There were other areas where the same thing happened. I felt Jackson could have been used more off the bench in seeing games out or going for a late goal. Konsa barely featured in the first 12 games of the season. He could have played right back to allow Solls a rest when we were playing regularly.

Given the lack of depth we had in some areas we really had to make use of the depth in areas where we did have it. We couldnt afford an injury crisis. I'm not saying it was caused by a lack of rotation but it could have reduced the impact. If we had used these players more we could have prevented some injuries. Solly may not have broken down. One of Pearce/Bauer may not have been our for so long. Clarke/Fosu may have played less so stayed fit. Ricky may not have had to work so hard so may have not suffered his loss of form. JFC may still be fit we have massively missed these players.. If these players weren't overworked in the early season it could have been different.

Agreed, Aribo could have replaced from the bench any of the attacking 3 midfielders, especially as with Marshall and Reeves injured we didn't have that much cover there. To me he is better suited in a more advanced position anyway

Crofts wasn't brilliant, but we do lack that extra experienced player to put into midfield, someone to reduce the workload on Kashi and JFC.
    That’s why KR wanted Gleeson, but Roland said no.
  • Hate to say but Id be shocked if he isnt dropped for Forster-Caskey when fit...

I think if we get to April and dont look like making the play-offs, then Kashi should be dropped for Aribo, reckon we could have him playing alongside JFC next season quite well and would be good to experiment and see how it works.

(Thats of course on the basis that Kashi will leave in the summer as think he'll go regardless)
  • Prefer Aribo to JFC but both are good options.
  • SDAddick said:

I agree, there were times when we were chasing games earlier in the season where we could have desperately done with his dribbling and finishing ability.

He's really grown into the team, improving game on game as his confidence has grown.

There must have been reasons why he wasn't given a chance earlier in the season - remember we don't see how the player is shaping up in training; his state of mind, confidence, etc.

Robinson did say last autumn when asked about Aribo, something along the lines of that he wasn't the finished article, he needed to impose himself on games and while he was good in tight situations, his awareness and range of passing needed to be much improved.

• I spent much of autumn moaning about Aribo not getting any game time, not even from the bench. Indeed until the end of November, he made just TWO substitute appearances of ONE minute each, and this during a period when Marshall and Reeves had both been injured.

Since then due to injuries elsewhere he's been a regular, and one of our best players in recent weeks, with 3 goals and the assist for Marshall's goal last week.

Two months ago speculation was that he would go out on loan in January, now if anything, the worry is more about him being bought by a higher club.

I'm still baffled at his lack of involvement earlier in the season when he had been fit the whole time. But do feel vindicated.

I thought the same. Last season KR was saying JA was the new Vierra, this season he didn't play him, even when we were desperate. Go figure.
  • I really like Joe Aribo. Glad to see him doing so well and it'd be an intriguing option to have him, JFC and Kashi in the team, especially for away games where we could then break quickly if playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-2-3. Or in Robbo's preferred 4-2-3-1 you could see Aribo playing in as an advanced central midfielder, with Mavididi and Fosu/Marshall on the flanks. Aribo & JFC could also alternate during the game, as JFC likes to get forward and get goals too, so that would give the opposition something to think about, especially with the wingers able to swap sides readily too.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018

So not only will be lose him, we'll lose him for nothing. Brilliant, cheers Roland

No, no Garry, you mustn't blame the Douchbag 100% for everything :wink:
  • Can someone amend the title of this post, I went from joy to despair in about 30 secs.
  • if he's here come 31st January I'll be amazed

Sold to the first bidder in cash.
  • If Roland can get some money for Joe in January he will do that rather than no money at the end of the season, especially if he has the nous for add ons.
    The money will go towards losses.