Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo (*Update Page 6* Rumour he is to reject contract and move to Bundesliga)

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    Read that  Rangers/Celtic are interested in Joe.  I personally couldn't think of a worse environment for Joe to develop his game - he is far from the finished article.  Most teams in that league are EFL Championship at best, throw in the toxic nature of the Old Firm games and this could be a disastrous move.  

If this happens, its down to his agent trying to maximize his commission and has nothing to do with his clients best interests.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Read that  Rangers/Celtic are interested in Joe.  I personally couldn't think of a worse environment for Joe to develop his game - he is far from the finished article.  Most teams in that league are EFL Championship at best, throw in the toxic nature of the Old Firm games and this could be a disastrous move.  

If this happens, its down to his agent trying to maximize his commission and has nothing to do with his clients best interests.
    I’m a Rangers supporter (parents from Glasgow) and I think you are actually being very, very kind to the standard of football in the SPL. I think Charlton would beat Rangers and any of the other teams in the SPL bar Celtic who might be an upper mid-table Championship side. An SPL All-Star Side would probably get relegated from the English Premier League. 

Even if Aribo doesn’t stay with us this summer, he will have much better options than Scotland. If he is to go, and I desperately hope he doesn’t, then I think he should consider the German option that was mentioned previously. He’ll get more time on the ball there which will give his technical ability the chance to shine. 
    Yes, his next move is key for his career.  We have witnessed a very talented player operating in League 1.  I wonder how that will translate to a higher level?  Would imagine he will have multiple options.  Can't see him staying given he's a free agent come 1st July.    Clubs who otherwise may have not been interested may take a punt given they will only have to pay us a minimal finders/development fee - assume that's how it will work?? 
  • Options
    If I was Joe I'd either
    a) sign a new deal with us (with a exit clause) so that he can continue to improve in a supportive environment or
    b) join a lower PL side such as Soton, Brighton or Bournemouth where there would be a realistic chance of PL football

Going to Scotland or another Championship club to me wouldn't make sense
  • Options
    The advantage of being a free agent is clubs can offer higher salaries/signing on fee as they aren't forking out for a transfer fee also.  Very unlikely we can compete with that, certainly not under current ownership.
  • Options
    Sounds like a goodbye to me
    Not necessarily. 

So can they compete?

“I feel like we can,” said Aribo. “If we manage to bring in the same sort of players we did last season and the one just gone then I think we can.

“I know we’re good enough if we play our natural game. We can definitely push in the Championship.”

• Options
    I'm hearing talk of Villa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My gut feeling is Aribo’s next move was already lined up a couple of months ago
    Sadly I think you are right , although I hope not . I imagine he could earn 7k per week with us or sit on Villa’s bench for 25.  
  • Options

Or it could be just as much to do with trying to find his client a job, as he is out of a contract very soon. 

If Roland is not going to offer Joe the deal he rightfully deserves then I certainly wouldn’t be pushing him to stay at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    stonemuse said:
    Sounds like a goodbye to me
    Not necessarily. 

So can they compete?

“I feel like we can,” said Aribo. “If we manage to bring in the same sort of players we did last season and the one just gone then I think we can.

“I know we’re good enough if we play our natural game. We can definitely push in the Championship.”

Cullen's latest tweet definitely sounds like goodbye whereas Aribo's comments much less so. The problem is though that this interview seems done right after the game? If so then what he said about our future in the Championship can't really be taken into account if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Or it could be just as much to do with trying to find his client a job, as he is out of a contract very soon. 

If Roland is not going to offer Joe the deal he rightfully deserves then I certainly wouldn’t be pushing him to stay at Charlton.
    There are going to be other clubs interested in Joe.  My point being, from a purely footballing/career development standpoint, a move to Glasgow would not be in Joe's best interests.  My fear with many young sports people is their total trust in agents.  I hope he makes a wise move.  

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Sadly I think you are right , although I hope not . I imagine he could earn 7k per week with us or sit on Villa’s bench for 25.  
    If RD still owns us no way will anyone be earning £7k a week.

Sadly, unless we change what we are likely to pay him (or Bauer come to that) he's gone. Many championship clubs will pay him that and more, some premier league one's where he'd likely go probably 2/3 times that.

He may feel some loyalty to Bowyer etc, but if it's stay and earn £150k a year max or go elsewhere (that suits his football ambitions etc) for £350k a year+ he's not going to turn that down. A footballers career can be short and like any job if you are a success your starting/base salary point is paramount to maximise your earnings. Plus he's a free to anyone which means some clubs will pay him even more a week as they haven't had to shell out a couple of million or whatever to buy him.

As much as i'd like to believe he'll stay, for many reasons I just don't see it - please prove me wrong though Jo!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Rob7Lee said:
    wmcf123 said:

Sadly, unless we change what we are likely to pay him (or Bauer come to that) he's gone. Many championship clubs will pay him that and more, some premier league one's where he'd likely go probably 2/3 times that.

He may feel some loyalty to Bowyer etc, but if it's stay and earn £150k a year max or go elsewhere (that suits his football ambitions etc) for £350k a year+ he's not going to turn that down. A footballers career can be short and like any job if you are a success your starting/base salary point is paramount to maximise your earnings. Plus he's a free to anyone which means some clubs will pay him even more a week as they haven't had to shell out a couple of million or whatever to buy him.

As much as i'd like to believe he'll stay, for many reasons I just don't see it - please prove me wrong though Jo!
    I very much doubt that £3k a week is the limit - or even the average - wage of Charlton first-team players. The club’s total wage bill, which is published, would probably disprove that.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    wmcf123 said:

I very much doubt that £3k a week is the limit - or even the average - wage of Charlton first-team players. The club’s total wage bill, which is published, would probably disprove that.
    Possibly, although difficult to break it down to any accuracy;

Wages were 9.1m - 102 full time staff on the playing side (inc Management and the like) plus 46 admin etc. 98 temps on match days. Included in that is a part year for KM. 

Pure guestimates here which may be way off;

46 admin inc the like of TK's high salary and part of KM's salary, say 35k average = 1.6m, round to £2m inc match day staff. If you took out TK and Part KM would bring the average down to sub £30k.

That leaves £7.1m on the footballing side (which ties in with the comments that Players & Playing staff salaries makes up most of the 7.3m turnover). 102 people which averages 69k each, if you took 70 of the 102 at an average of £35k say £2.5m leaves 32 with £4.6m, average £143k/£2,750 a week.

So on the assumption some will be on £1k a week then yes some will be on more than £3k a week. We know the likes of Sarr, Bauer & Igor are on 'high salaries' so I don't think (currently) there will be many on much more than £3k excluding those 3.

And then we get onto if RD still owns us will he try to maintain or even decrease expenses further........ I just don't see him saying to Bowyer, here's another £3.5m for the players salary pot. I can honestly see him thinking that with promotion brings him another £3m or so income so his losses before player sales will now only be a few million....
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I am 100% for paying Aribo more than any other Championship club would. But no Championship club can compete with PL wages. So if Villa wants him, there is nothing more to talk about. It's a serious blow to lose him. Frankly, Bundesliga would probably be a good career move for him too but only if he starts. To sit on the bench, regardless of wages paid, is a foolish move for someone of his age. We really are the perfect place for him right now in his career trajectory. If we had a rational owner I believe we would be 50-50 to re-sign him. As is, I think the odds of us keeping him are 10%.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    wmcf123 said:

Wages were 9.1m - 102 full time staff on the playing side (inc Management and the like) plus 46 admin etc. 98 temps on match days. Included in that is a part year for KM. 

46 admin inc the like of TK's high salary and part of KM's salary, say 35k average = 1.6m, round to £2m inc match day staff. If you took out TK and Part KM would bring the average down to sub £30k.

That leaves £7.1m on the footballing side (which ties in with the comments that Players & Playing staff salaries makes up most of the 7.3m turnover). 102 people which averages 69k each, if you took 70 of the 102 at an average of £35k say £2.5m leaves 32 with £4.6m, average £143k/£2,750 a week.

So on the assumption some will be on £1k a week then yes some will be on more than £3k a week. We know the likes of Sarr, Bauer & Igor are on 'high salaries' so I don't think (currently) there will be many on much more than £3k excluding those 3.

And then we get onto if RD still owns us will he try to maintain or even decrease expenses further........ I just don't see him saying to Bowyer, here's another £3.5m for the players salary pot. I can honestly see him thinking that with promotion brings him another £3m or so income so his losses before player sales will now only be a few million....
    I doubt if the youngest pros are on £1k a week to be honest. More like half that. Players like Solly will be on circa £5k on the other hand, as will be Pearce and Marshall. There’s no way either of them came to Charlton for £3k and Pearce also had the club over a barrel in 2017. Pratley and Taylor too. Probably Forster-Caskey. Given that Aribo’s value is likely to increase, it’s not unreasonable to offer him at least what Sarr is on, especially as he can leave without compensation by going abroad.

RD will get another £6-£8m in income in total in the Championship if he’s still here. There will also be money from the existing wage bill freed up. I agree there is no predicting what he’ll do, but if he doesn’t spend any of it - certainly £3.5m - then it’s pretty inevitable the team will go down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We will go down but he will break even for a year which in his book is a success.  Whilst he is here we will not spend and the wage bill will be cut i have absolutely no doubt about it and that is why we have so many out of contract players with seemingly little movement in their negotiations.  I know the season just ended but we have signed up 2 released kids recently- that is the pool we are swimming in with RD owning us. I hope Aribo goes to a top top team with no chance of a first team spot and we can loan him back for the season as that is the only chance we have of seeing him play for again.
  • Options
    Have we ever loaned back a sold player?

Fantasy from my memory?

Anyway Sunday’s euphoria didn’t last long 🤣
  • Options
    Roland holds all the cards.
    He can run the club next season with losing little money if he wishes.
    Will he be in a rush to sell if his not getting close to his asking price.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    wmcf123 said:

Yeah... Best not assume so wildly. 

A quick look on payscale states:
    The average pay for an Office Administrator in London, England:London is £20,690 per year.

Glassdoor supports this nicely with an HR Coordinator role at Charlton advertised at £19-£21k

There's also a Sales Manager role advertised at the moment at £31-33k
    Academy Strength & Conditioning Intern at £19-21K
    and a Sports Turf Operative at £19-21k also. 

It seems you've overestimated most supporting staff salaries... 

Your player salaries would likely be 1-2k higher at least based on this.

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Aribo going to rangers. 
    No chance that's happening until we see the result of the final. He'd be better off with us in the Championship than up there.

Laddick01 said:
    Aribo going to rangers. 
    No chance that's happening until we see the result of the final. He'd be better off with us in the Championship than up there.
    See

Gerard’s assistant told me he was signing him after the donny game so I cheated a bit.
  • Options
    If RD had not cocked up over his contract last season and gave him a two to three year one, then to get him Rangers would have had to pay a decent fee, which they probably would not in case he did not make the grade, but when it is only £300,000, it is worth the risk
  • Options
    Well Katrien Nightmeire was right.

We got to see a Premier League star of the future. 

I'm not quite sure if Scottish or even Plymouth & District premier league counts.

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Aribo going to rangers. 

Laddick01 said:
    Aribo going to rangers. 
    See

Gerard’s assistant told me he was signing him after the donny game so I cheated a bit.
    As the Rangers assistant manager is Gary McAllister I'm surprised you could understand him or has he got use to the new teeth he had fitted after the shocking attack on him at a taxi rank when on a night out with his wife.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Aribo going to rangers. 

Laddick01 said:
    Aribo going to rangers. 
    See

As the Rangers assistant manager is Gary McAllister I'm surprised you could understand him or has he got use to the new teeth he had fitted after the shocking attack on him at a taxi rank when on a night out with his wife.
    Not assistant manager. Mike Beale. Coach. From these parts!