Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    Good luck Dills thanks for everything 
  • Options
    Thanks Dills. Homegrown talent and after we voted for you as our player of the season, getting a move to Cardiff as a No2. Well done. 
  • Options
    Dillon's big sin (if you can call it that) was jumping (or making it clear he was going to jump) without sorting out somewhere to land. If at the end of the season he had simply said he felt he was good enough to play at a higher level and moved to a championship club shortly thereafter then I don't think there would have been much of a problem.

Instead he said he was off, so the club then had to plan accordingly, but he was still here until today. Obviously the club aren't going to play him when they've been forced to get a new number one and plan for a future without Dillon, but all the time he hasn't moved then both he and the club are in a weird limbo and fans will speculate about what's happening behind the scenes.

He's been kinda screwed by no championship clubs coming in for him until the last possible moment. Means the club moved on weeks ago, but he didn't move on. We should be grateful really. He could have either signed the contract and then still left, or delayed signing the contract until he found a suitor. Either way that would have then left us without a number one keeper. By making it clear he wanted out early it allows LB to bring in Amos early.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    No issues with the move - wish him all the best. 

Now let's look forward to the rest of the season with the new squad.
  • Options
    He's a very good goalkeeper and is still relatively young. He is another example of not tying down your best talent and allowing them to leave for nothing or below the proper value.
    Once the League One wage cap was introduced we had no chance of keeping him and he cannot be blamed for that. 
    I expect him to go onto bigger and better things and good luck to him. 
  • Options
    He's a very good goalkeeper and is still relatively young. He is another example of not tying down your best talent and allowing them to leave for nothing or below the proper value.
    Once the League One wage cap was introduced we had no chance of keeping him and he cannot be blamed for that. 
    I expect him to go onto bigger and better things and good luck to him. 

He had another year on his contract so that would count as tied down as far as the old owners are concerned. Relegation was the issue and don't forget he was offered a new deal prior to the wage cap so very different to other departures at contract end.

Dillon changed from being a decent backup to a fan's favourite within a year and a half and he deserves credit for that. You could see he was popular with the rest of the squad.

Sad it ended this way. Not really sure who's to blame but was there any point paying a salary for the next few months then letting him go on a free?

He'll do well and I wish him all the best
  • Options
    Very few professional goalkeepers are bad players. As a unique position players have to make choices on playing as 1st choice or 2nd choice and balancing career earnings and job satisfaction. 

No right answers for club or player. 
  • Options
    A vastly improved / still improving keeper.

I think he’ll be playing premier league football in 2 -3 years, maybe not with Cardiff, who will cash in and sell him to a premier league club.
  • Options
    We will probably be moaning in 2-3 years at how little we got for him, hope we’ve got a good sell on clause!
  • Options
    Wish him well. It was his right not to sign a contract. I think he can push on the be a top keeper but there are some aspects of his game he needs to work on. I do think the distribution part of his game is in there, it just hasn't been fully honed yet. The other thing he needs to improve on is when he makes a block/save, he needs to direct the ball to as safe a place as possible. If he sorts out those two things he will be as good as anybody.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The club let him go they didn’t have to. 
    He didn’t ask to leave, he just didn’t sign a new contract 

Would you sign a new contract at your workplace that wasn’t for what you thought you were worth ? 
  • Options
    Not sure I’m fully with all the goodwill.

am I right in thinking he was contracted until next summer? 

He’s yet another player like Solly and Taylor who we as fans had a good connect with and just gone in a less than ideal way.

nature of the sale leads me to think we got nowhere near value. 
    why though? What has Dills done wrong? Refused to sign a new deal? Not the first, won’t be the last. Wembley hero Bauer wouldn’t sign a new deal, left without us getting a fee, left a hero. Why is Dills different? Don’t understand any of the animosity towards him. He was previously dealt with badly by the Club around the time of his Cheltenham loan too. He’s gone and we got a fee. I wish him all the best of luck and hope he goes on to great things.
    Because Bauer was out of contract that summer whereas Phillips still had another year.

He was our number one goal keeper and if you balance that against the very little money we most likely got for him (no club in the current situation is going to pay fair value in the last knockings of the window for a player a club appears desperate to offload), then I question whether it wasn’t worth it. For maybe a couple of hundred grand tops I think we would have had a better chance of promotion with a proven strong and in form keeper in goal.

i just don’t understand why we couldn’t take the line that ‘we appreciate you’re looking to progress, but you’re also valued here and still in contract. If a fair value offer comes in, we won’t be difficult and stand in your way, but if that doesn’t happen we expect you to be professional and committed’. 

Without knowing ing all the details, that hasn’t looked to be the case to me. 
  • Options
    Players come in players move on that’s football, wish him all the best, hope he goes on and plays in the Premiership, always did his best when playing for us & it’s only the rotten Belgium regime that left him in this position, plus possibly his agent. Oh well we move on. 
  • Options

He’s yet another player like Solly and Taylor who we as fans had a good connect with and just gone in a less than ideal way.

I agree with this. Disappointed with Phillips. Don't get splinters in your Arse.
  • Options

why though? What has Dills done wrong? Refused to sign a new deal? Not the first, won’t be the last. Wembley hero Bauer wouldn’t sign a new deal, left without us getting a fee, left a hero. Why is Dills different? Don’t understand any of the animosity towards him. He was previously dealt with badly by the Club around the time of his Cheltenham loan too. He’s gone and we got a fee. I wish him all the best of luck and hope he goes on to great things.
    Because Bauer was out of contract that summer whereas Phillips still had another year.

He was our number one goal keeper and if you balance that against the very little money we most likely got for him (no club in the current situation is going to pay fair value in the last knockings of the window for a player a club appears desperate to offload), then I question whether it wasn’t worth it. For maybe a couple of hundred grand tops I think we would have had a better chance of promotion with a proven strong and in form keeper in goal.

i just don’t understand why we couldn’t take the line that ‘we appreciate you’re looking to progress, but you’re also valued here and still in contract. If a fair value offer comes in, we won’t be difficult and stand in your way, but if that doesn’t happen we expect you to be professional and committed’. 

What was stopping us taking that line though? Appeared to me that once he said he didn’t want to sign a new deal and would leave Bowyer froze him out of the squad. As others have said I don’t see a difference between Phillips’ stance and Bauer’s.

Weird decision making from Bowyer.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Phillips' situation was a bit like Curbs when he left as manager.

They both had a year to run which they were willing to serve but neither wanted to extend beyond that. The Powers That Be didn't like that so both left.

As regards the Bauer comparisons firstly his contract expired at the end of the season in question which has been stated already. Secondly, like Curbs, Bowyer is a pragmatic individual and knows enough to pick his battles. He knew he had an adequate league 1 goalkeeper in Amos and a promising reserve in Maynard-Brewer. On the other hand Bauer was the only decent right sided centre half we had at that time so to some extent Bowyer had to live with it even if he didn't like it.
  • Options
    I think Phillips may have just had a bit of bad luck with timing. Bowyer appears to be taking a pretty hard line on the team spirit/fighting together philosophy (rightly or wrongly) and has made an example of someone who even with proven popularity and talent is not bigger than that.
    It also helps that Amos is at the very least an adequate replacement and AMB from the youth squad is highly rated too, so despite Dillon's ability he's not as massive a loss as he could have been.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    What's our guess fee wise? Probably near the amount that Boreham wanted for Sorba is my guess.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    What's our guess fee wise? Probably near the amount that Boreham wanted for Sorba is my guess.
    We might have recouped Southall's soft drink and junk food bill for the January window if we are lucky.

Given the timing and our need to 'lose' Dillon's wages we will undoubtedly have been stuffed feewise.
  • Options
    Wouldn’t Phillips wages on existing contract be classed as the £1700 average? 

mendonca said:
    My complete guess would be lower than that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phillips and Doughty are hopefully the last of our ill managed player contracts and lengths. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    mendonca said:
    Phillips and Doughty are hopefully the last of our ill managed player contracts and lengths. 
    They are also the last of our homegrown players to currently command any sort of fee. That's not to say that we won't have someone like Barker in a couple of years time to do so but, in reality, Doughty is the only one likely to have a regular place in the side. And he may well be sold in January anyway. 

Sad times and it really does question what Valley Gold is for?

We've always sold players from the days of Billy Bonds but, for every Billy Bonds, there was a Bob Curtis, Phil Warman, Keith Peacock, Peter Reeves etc etc who would play for us for years. How many of our youngsters these days make a hundred plus games for us? Equally, we've done as well In recent times spotting young players such as the likes of Lookman, Aribo and Bonne who didn't come through our youth system.

So I suppose that the answer is that Valley Gold is to fund the future of the Club and to enable us to follow the career of those individuals given that they started with us. Personally, I take great joy seeing how well the likes of Gomez is doing, But it's also very sad to reflect that he actually only played 24 games for us. 
  • Options
    I wish him well. And I hope he continues to progress there, as it will be another player to point to as a success of Charlton's Academy. 

He's a good keeper. Possibly better than the ones we are left with. But I'm very, very pleased he's gone. 

Because it demonstrates that, if it wasn't already widely known, you have to show loyalty to Charlton and to Lee Bowyer if you want to succeed and be part of this club's success. 

Letting him go might be as the French put it, pour encourager les autres
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I wish him well. And I hope he continues to progress there, as it will be another player to point to as a success of Charlton's Academy. 

He's a good keeper. Possibly better than the ones we are left with. But I'm very, very pleased he's gone. 

Because it demonstrates that, if it wasn't already widely known, you have to show loyalty to Charlton and to Lee Bowyer if you want to succeed and be part of this club's success. 

????

He's now a division higher than us and on much higher wages, hardly a punishment

I agree with others above that there are double standards in the way Dillon and Bauer are being treated. Bauer was essential, so we kept him for the whole season, whereas we had Amos so Dillon was expendable

The wages cap screwed things as well. Once the rules came in it became impossible for Dillon to sign a new contract, even if he wanted to, as it would count towards the cap. Nobody in the prime of their career is going to sign a new contract with lower wages than he had before
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Ticket priority and the weekly draw?
  • Options
    let's hope we got a good price .. our team is not weakened and there will be more in the kitty in case we need strengthening in the New Year
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    mendonca said:

Ticket priority and the weekly draw?
    In reality the academy should pay for itself by producing players, whether for the first team or to be sold on. 

However you don't have to have an academy to profit from young players, Brentford have made a fortune from buying sound players cheap and selling them on
  • Options
    Chizz said:

????

He's now a division higher than us and on much higher wages, hardly a punishment

I agree with others above that there are double standards in the way Dillon and Bauer are being treated. Bauer was essential, so we kept him for the whole season, whereas we had Amos so Dillon was expendable

The wages cap screwed things as well. Once the rules came in it became impossible for Dillon to sign a new contract, even if he wanted to, as it would count towards the cap. Nobody in the prime of their career is going to sign a new contract with lower wages than he had before
    I didn't say it was a punishment.  
  • Options
    Relegation was the issue.

Bottom line: Dills publicly said he was a 'Championship player' - and wasn't prepared to play back in League One. 
    He refused to extend his contract expecting an imminent transfer.

Now I don't know if Phillips point blank refused to play for Charlton this season. It's pretty obvious he and Bowyer have had words, culminating with Bowyer freezing him out - and getting Amos to extend/re-sign with assurances of starting the season as 1st choice keeper.

But if Dills wasn't prepared to play for Charlton in League One, then IMO he in effect excluded himself from the squad.