Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    I don’t think Dills has ever refused to play. He just didn’t want to sign a new contract. 
    More than that, Large. Dills publicly said he was a 'Championship player' - and wasn't prepared to play back in League One. 

I mean, Doughty (for example) had only a year left on his contract and hasn't signed the new contract offered months ago - but was prepared to play in League One.

That's the difference.

• Options
    As in all players who leave Charlton I am not interested in Phillips, Taylor, Solly etc.Onwards and upwards with the current bunch. I think we can only get better.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I don’t think Dills has ever refused to play. He just didn’t want to sign a new contract. 
    More than that, Large. Dills publicly said he was a 'Championship player' - and wasn't prepared to play back in League One. 

I mean, Doughty (for example) had only a year left on his contract and hasn't signed the new contract offered months ago - but was prepared to play in League One.

That's the difference.

Did Phillips’ actually say he wasn’t prepared to play for us? I hadn’t heard that and it changes things significantly. 
  • Options
    Good luck to Dillon. A very good goalkeeper. Work on his distribution and he’ll be top class. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    On the bench for Cardiff this afternoon; Bauer starts for Preston
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

That's the difference.

Oggy. I've not seen him publicly say that at all. Where did you see this?
  • Options
    he's been given the No 1 shirt @ Cardiff and is on the bench this afternoon
  • Options
    he's been given the No 1 shirt @ Cardiff and is on the bench this afternoon
    A rapid rise, he couldn’t even make the bench in League One last week!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

That's the difference.

It was back in the summer, Large - soon after we were relegated/August, probably. Can't remember exactly when, might have been a Bowyer quote/interview, but it stuck on my mind. It said Dills wasn't prepared to play in League One, wouldn't sign a new contract and wanted to leave.

That reads to me like if we hadn't been relegated there would never have been a problem, and he would've extended his contract, whatever. Relegation was the issue.

Can't provide a link I'm afraid. And haven't time got to research it right now. 
    But I've only said in good faith what I believe I remember.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    "might have been a bowyer quote" isn't the same as Dillon publicly saying it though. Also saying he is a championship player could be him having confidence in his ability. Have to say I have never seen it mentioned that he had refused to honour his contract
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

That's the difference.

It was back in the summer, Large - soon after we were relegated/August, probably. Can't remember exactly when, might have been a Bowyer quote/interview, but it stuck on my mind. It said Dills wasn't prepared to play in League One, wouldn't sign a new contract and wanted to leave.

That reads to me like if we hadn't been relegated there would never have been a problem, and he would've extended his contract, whatever. Relegation was the issue.

I think you’re right but also slightly out of context. I’ve no doubt Phillips wanted to leave after the relegation. But there’s a difference between refusing to play and not being prepared to play in League 1. I don’t think Phillips has refused to play. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

That's the difference.

I don’t think that’s what was said - it was more he didn’t want to sign a new deal and would leave when he had the opportunity (either because the club had accepted an offer or his contract ran out) rather than refusing to play for us.

This is what Bowyer said in August:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-dillon-phillips-wont-be-first-choice-charlton-goalkeeper-as-lee-bowyer-explains-tough-stance/
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

That's the difference.

I think you’re right but also slightly out of context. I’ve no doubt Phillips wanted to leave after the relegation. But there’s a difference between refusing to play and not being prepared to play in League 1. I don’t think Phillips has refused to play. 
    I've never said he refused to play. I only wrote that it was reported that Dills was not prepared to play in League One.

We can put 2 + 2 together perhaps and conclude that was the same thing to Bowyer? That though is just my thought.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

That's the difference.

It's what LB does. He drops in something ambiguous in an interview or gets Cawley to say something on his behalf.

He said that he thought both AMB and Amos were good enough for League 1 (which is why he made Amos number one) and needed Phillips to go to get some funds in and allow him to get another player in. There was only Phillips and Doughty left in the squad who would get a transfer fee of any note too. 

Once the sale went through he confirmed that Phillips had, actually, done nothing wrong.
  • Options
    So been given the No1 shirt and on the bench yesterday, he
    will work his way into the No1 slot on the team sheet pretty
    quickly i feel.
    He has the ability to progress and improve and move onto a
    better side, who knows Prem maybe, so best of luck Dillon
    thanks for your valued input to our progress.
  • Options
    If our backup keepers were rubbish, Bowyer would have kept and played Dillon

If we had 2 other pacey wingers he would have flogged Doughty
  • Options
    I'm still annoyed that yet again another academy player is playing in a league higher than us rather than with us due to the chronic mismanagement of the club over the past 5 years 
  • Options
    Interesting he’s got the number 1 as his squad number 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If our backup keepers were rubbish, Bowyer would have kept and played Dillon

If we had 2 other pacey wingers he would have flogged Doughty
    Thing is IF is a big word, and there are lot's of ways of 
    assessing the situation,
    If we had better owners
    If we had no embargo
    If we were able to keep Taylor
    Who knows where we would be, probably still in the
    Championship and kept Dillon, and Doughty
    Unfortunately we are where we are, and i feel we are
    on the way back to where we belong ;)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

That's the difference.

I've never said he refused to play. I only wrote that it was reported that Dills was not prepared to play in League One.

We can put 2 + 2 together perhaps and conclude that was the same thing to Bowyer? That though is just my thought.

I think your OP has been misunderstood because of your reply to Large. I think Bowyer has done what he did because of Amos. We were in the fortuitous position of having a No2 good enough to start in League 1. The situation was no different to Bonne but he clearly had to keep playing. 
  • Options
    I don’t blame Dillon for leaving, more wages, playing in a better league, putting himself (eventually) in the shop window for a move to the premier league, he doesn’t want to be schlupping around in this division, and thinks he’s better than league one.

My Hope going forward is that is we can put an end to good players leaving us on the cheap, by sorting out there contracts.

Will Alfie be signing a new contract this week?
  • Options
    Bows did the right thing IMO. If Dills was still playing he may have stayed and then moved for nothing. By dropping him we got a fee.
    I hope Dills does not get a start because it will show younger players that the grass is not always greener elsewhere, and if it is, it probably has sheep on it.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Bows did the right thing IMO. If Dills was still playing he may have stayed and then moved for nothing. By dropping him we got a fee.
    I hope Dills does not get a start because it will show younger players that the grass is not always greener elsewhere, and if it is, it probably has sheep on it.
    I’d rather have Phillips playing and leaving for free next year than playing for someone else and the likely derisory fee that we got. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    If the £400,00 was mentioned in one paper, a complete give away!
    Never liked that tight clown Neil Harris or Cardiff in general.
    Dillon was worth a lot more¬
  • Options
    Did we accepted it was the best we were going to get though

Cant have seen much more being offered in January with his contract so close to expiring so we either took a poultry offer or nothing at all
  • Options

Cant have seen much more being offered in January with his contract so close to expiring so we either took a poultry offer or nothing at all
    Yep. 400,000 was cheap, but we would have got less in January, especially if Phillips hadn't been playing and impressing. Even less next summer. 

Bows clearly thinks Amos is good enough, and I agree. Plus we get some money now aswell as the extra little bit in the cap. 
  • Options

Did we get a sell on clause in the deal?