Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    If the £400,00 was mentioned in one paper, a complete give away!
    Never liked that tight clown Neil Harris or Cardiff in general.
    Dillon was worth a lot more¬
    Did we accepted it was the best we were going to get though

Cant have seen much more being offered in January with his contract so close to expiring so we either took a poultry offer or nothing at all
    So you think that we'd have been offered chicken feed. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Redrobo said:
    Bows did the right thing IMO. If Dills was still playing he may have stayed and then moved for nothing. By dropping him we got a fee.
    I hope Dills does not get a start because it will show younger players that the grass is not always greener elsewhere, and if it is, it probably has sheep on it.
    I’d rather have Phillips playing and leaving for free next year than playing for someone else and the likely derisory fee that we got. 
    Would you think the same if it was your £400k? I would rather we got the player from Boreham Wood in with the money.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Interesting he’s got the number 1 as his squad number 
    It was available because Etheridge left and smithies wears 12. Wouldn’t read too much into it. Smithies will be no.1 until injured or out of form.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Interesting he’s got the number 1 as his squad number 
    It was available because Etheridge left and smithies wears 12. Wouldn’t read too much into it. Smithies will be no.1 until injured or out of form.
    Fair enough.
    Makes sense.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I don’t think Dills has ever refused to play. He just didn’t want to sign a new contract. 
    More than that, Large. Dills publicly said he was a 'Championship player' - and wasn't prepared to play back in League One. 

I mean, Doughty (for example) had only a year left on his contract and hasn't signed the new contract offered months ago - but was prepared to play in League One.

That's the difference.

Oggy. I've not seen him publicly say that at all. Where did you see this?
    It was back in the summer, Large - soon after we were relegated/August, probably. Can't remember exactly when, might have been a Bowyer quote/interview, but it stuck on my mind. It said Dills wasn't prepared to play in League One, wouldn't sign a new contract and wanted to leave.

That reads to me like if we hadn't been relegated there would never have been a problem, and he would've extended his contract, whatever. Relegation was the issue.

Can't provide a link I'm afraid. And haven't time got to research it right now. 
    But I've only said in good faith what I believe I remember.

I don’t think that’s what was said - it was more he didn’t want to sign a new deal and would leave when he had the opportunity (either because the club had accepted an offer or his contract ran out) rather than refusing to play for us.

This is what Bowyer said in August:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-dillon-phillips-wont-be-first-choice-charlton-goalkeeper-as-lee-bowyer-explains-tough-stance/
    Thank you, @se9addick that's helpful.

It seems then, rather than Phillips saying things direct, the story is sourced from Bowyer quoting what Phillips' agent has told him.
    And Bowyer's own stance over the situation.

• Options

Cant have seen much more being offered in January with his contract so close to expiring so we either took a poultry offer or nothing at all
    I think you mean paultry/paltry.😏😏😏
  • Options
    It's hard to get a good price when
    a) the player only has one year on his contract
    b) the club have dropped him and basically begged him to go. That's an invitation to other clubs to offer peanuts
  • Options

Were we offered Adam Chicksen in exchange or was it Eggert Jónsson ?  ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:

Eggsactly.

So, you've been eggumacted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    These egg puns are eggscruciating
  • Options

Didn't Boro offer around 800k a few weeks back or was that just paper talk ?
  • Options

Didn't Boro offer around 800k a few weeks back or was that just paper talk ?
    probably £100k up front and £400k when they get into Europe and the other £300k when he's England No 1 and plays in a WC
  • Options
    Mmmh, I think these numbers are way too high. My guess is around 100k.
  • Options

Were we offered Adam Chicksen in exchange or was it Eggert Jónsson ?  ;)
    Maybe Malcom Partridge to return.

(One for the old gits)
  • Options

And this tells the full story:

“Everyone knows that the manager made it clear recently that they could only offer a certain amount a week now with the [League One] wage cap. Once the season started Bows made it clear I wasn’t really in his plans and I had to go. There is no coming back from that really.

“Both parties understood it was time for me to move on. The club was under an embargo and then a wage cap. There was never an offer really put to me [after February] because both parties understood it was time for me to move on. It wasn’t so much a case of me not signing – more what was right.

The club wanted me out, they wanted me out to bring someone else in [using his salary to add to their squad]."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    It's a pity really. Can't blame him for not signing in February and screwed then by the salary cap and the player quota. He'd have probably stayed this season if there was no cap. 
  • Options
    MattF said:

I like that 
  • Options
    Thanks Dillon. Best of luck for the future.
  • Options
    siblers said:
    No mention of Lee in that letter, wonder if they left on bad terms
    he does "and of course Lee Bowyer for giving me the chance to establish myself as no,1"