Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I don't miss him but think he would have saved some of the many 'worldies' we have conceded. 
    Not sure. He, Amos and Rob Elliot all had or have fairly similar strengths: command of box, one on ones, reflexes, but not the greatest diving arc. It's the kind of keeper we like here. Scott Carson was a massive exception obv
  • Options
    (Pope too, although he was good at all the other stuff as well, especially box command) 
  • Options
    Oh, Hamer was an exception too. He wasn't very good in the air at all but his capacity for ludicrous worldies was pretty mad 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Oh, Hamer was an exception too. He wasn't very good in the air at all but his capacity for ludicrous worldies was pretty mad 
    Remember one he made down at Brighton that I have no idea how he got to. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I personally never see the fascination with players who leave by their own doing. Play well, rot in the reserves, or a career ending injury- all mean the same to me. Nothing

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy for him, great keeper and great character.  We miss him hugely.
  • Options
    Looks like he's taking his opportunity the same way Pope did when Heaton got injured at Burnley

Its unfortunate for Smithies given the fact he had to give Dillon the opportunity not due to injury but because of the risk of a heart attack
  • Options
    Looks like he's taking his opportunity the same way Pope did when Heaton got injured at Burnley

Its unfortunate for Smithies given the fact he had to give Dillon the opportunity not due to injury but because of the risk of a heart attack
    Smithies is a very good keeper - Cardiff have good cover.
  • Options
    Was there any explanation what was wrong with Smithies?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    (Pope too, although he was good at all the other stuff as well, especially box command) 
    He wasn’t good at shot stopping in most of his time with us .  
  • Options
    Very happy for Dill, top lad and a top keeper. Cardiff fans are raving about him 
  • Options
    Very happy for Dill, top lad and a top keeper. Cardiff fans are raving about him 
    I've rated Dillon since I first saw him at Charlton and am pleased that he's now starting at Cardiff. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    He wasn’t good at shot stopping in most of his time with us .  

Pope was superb in the air, and could stretch well to tip shots around the post.
    Being 6ft 5in helped.

At Cafc Nick had an occasional weakness for the shot hit hard and low at his body.
    He doesn't have this fault anymore and is now the most consistent English keeper.
    (Henderson was superb for Sheffield United last Season)

Dillon Phillips had two excellent seasons with Charlton and I'm pleased that he is getting an opportunity in the Championship.

Lloris for all his good saves makes more mistakes for Spurs in two months than Dillon did in two seasons as Cafc number 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I admit to being happy and sad at the same time when ex Charlton players do well.
    Phillips, Lookman, and Aribo just this week, to mention only 3 players who moved on to increase their wages and their careers.

So difficult for Thomas Sandgaard, Steve Gallen and Lee Bowyer to move this club forward with the baggage of recent owners and now the wage cap in the third tier.

Losing the injured Alfie Doughty to Stoke, reminded me of Gordan Watson being sold after a dozen or so games.

Agents, are making any progression difficult but it's the same for all 24 clubs in League 1, though the ambitions of Cafc, Pompey and Sunderland are higher to their present owner's than Burton Albion with all due respect.

• Options
    Thats the sort of stat I really wouldnt believe to be true!!
  • Options
    The discussion in the replies suggests it might not be.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    The discussion in the replies suggests it might not be.
    Yeah faced 18 penalties in total according to TransferMarkt

Nine have been missed or saved (including in Play-Offs), Nine have been scored past him
  • Options
    Thats the sort of stat I really wouldnt believe to be true!!
    If they are including shootouts, isn’t true.
  • Options
    Having (back in the day) frequently watched Dillon at Sparrows Lane, way before even his loan to Cheltenham, I can remember him saving quite a few penalties. I wrote at the time, when other keepers were fancied more than Dillon to progress, that he might emerge as the best of those young keepers we had at the time, and I also wrote that he wasn't afraid of a penalty.
    I am pleased he is doing well, and wish it was with us.
    I also think Harness as an up and coming keeper has something about him.
  • Options
    Notice the first one he saved was against Paul Gallagher who put one past him for Preston at the Valley last season - Both penalties (the one scored against us, and the one from Saturday) were put down the same side of Dillon