Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    doronron said:
    There's no doubting he's a good keeper but he looks like there's always a mistake in him when he was with us and don't think that's changed 
    He was excellent for us and made very few mistakes - we've suffered with Amos in goal.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    mendonca said:
    So his desire to play in the Championship and earn a tad more exceeds his will to play another season with CAFC. The latter option will be entail good wages, unfortunately in L1, he can improve his skills with our excellent goalkeeping setup, and earn the club a good fee aswell as a salary rise or move for himself next season. 

These traits do not look like those of a Club hero/man/face to me.

He has a contract, as far as I understand he is willing to honour that contract unless the club accept an offer for him. What he does after that contract expires is entirely up to him, as it should be.

As far as I can see over 50% of the squad are due to be out of contract at the end of this season but for some reason Phillips is being singled out. 
    Still stand by this, we should have kept Phillips regardless of whether he signed an extension or not. Bowyer bouncing him because Phillips wanted to honour his contract and then leave, for Bowyer to then leave himself whilst under contract is an amazing level of hypocrisy. 
  • Options
    All keepers have a howler in them. Look at the likes of De Gea and Allison, they're at the top of the game yet can still make them. Good to see Phillips is cementing his place when given the chance. A touch of good fortune for him with Smithies being injured but he has made the most of it.
  • Options
    doronron said:
    There's no doubting he's a good keeper but he looks like there's always a mistake in him when he was with us and don't think that's changed 
    What do De Gea, Pickford, Lloris, Kepa, Pope and Alisson have in common? They are all Premier League keepers. They are also internationals. And they all make mistakes. It's even harder for them nowadays because they are expected to be able to control the ball like Maradona, pass like Hoddle and dribble like Messi. 

Mistakes that result in a goal are all  part of the territory. It's just that, unlike outfield players, more often than not it results in a goal. And people always remember them for those errors. Those that are old enough will recall Gary Sprake throwing the ball into the back of his net against Liverpool. He earned the nickname "Careless Hands" because of it. Over 500 games for Leeds and 37 international caps suggests he was decent enough though.

As for Dillon I think he is a top keeper. But I bet you that he will make a few more mistakes in the course of his career. Because that is what keepers do.
  • Options
    doronron said:
    What do De Gea, Pickford, Lloris, Kepa, Pope and Alisson have in common? They are all Premier League keepers. They are also internationals. And they all make mistakes. It's even harder for them nowadays because they are expected to be able to control the ball like Maradona, pass like Hoddle and dribble like Messi. 

Mistakes that result in a goal are all  part of the territory. It's just that, unlike outfield players, more often than not it results in a goal. And people always remember them for those errors. Those that are old enough will recall Gary Sprake throwing the ball into the back of his net against Liverpool. He earned the nickname "Careless Hands" because of it. Over 500 games for Leeds and 37 international caps suggests he was decent enough though.

As for Dillon I think he is a top keeper. But I bet you that he will make a few more mistakes in the course of his career. Because that is what keepers do.
    It does make me laugh when some of our fans seem to think goalkeepers should never make mistakes. The best goalkeepers keep them to a minimum.
  • Options
    doronron said:

It does make me laugh when some of our fans seem to think goalkeepers should never make mistakes. The best goalkeepers keep them to a minimum.
    If no one made mistakes then every game would end 0-0
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    mendonca said:
    So his desire to play in the Championship and earn a tad more exceeds his will to play another season with CAFC. The latter option will be entail good wages, unfortunately in L1, he can improve his skills with our excellent goalkeeping setup, and earn the club a good fee aswell as a salary rise or move for himself next season. 

These traits do not look like those of a Club hero/man/face to me.

He has a contract, as far as I understand he is willing to honour that contract unless the club accept an offer for him. What he does after that contract expires is entirely up to him, as it should be.

As far as I can see over 50% of the squad are due to be out of contract at the end of this season but for some reason Phillips is being singled out. 
    Still stand by this, we should have kept Phillips regardless of whether he signed an extension or not. Bowyer bouncing him because Phillips wanted to honour his contract and then leave, for Bowyer to then leave himself whilst under contract is an amazing level of hypocrisy. 
    I thought he made it clear he wanted a move by the end of the summer window but was willing to train/play up until the day he left the club, and he expected that to be no later than October.

Maybe I misunderstood at the time but I don’t think Bowyer got this one wrong if that’s the case. I’m not sure what good having Dillon for a few games early on would’ve done for us. It’s hard to imagine the defensive lapses being any worse than they have been this season...

Either way it’s worked out for him and pleased to see him getting wider recognition. He felt a little bit like a CAFC secret last season.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Bounced back well from that Watford error. Clean sheets against both Stoke and then tonight Swansea, including a superb save right at the end that meant Cardiff held on for a 1-0 away win against their biggest rivals.

He's played 12 games, they've won 8 and he's kept 7 clean sheets. Pretty decent record really.
    Anyone slagging Dillon off is clearly still pissed he left us or hasn't watched Amos play in goal this season. Dills is a fantastic keeper and has a very bright future ahead of him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the prem and England teams within the next 2/3 years. For England not as #1 but one of the 3 picked.
    I haven't seen anyone slagging him to be honest, think he left with everyone's best wishes. I think he could make it to the Prem but I'd be surprised if he made it into the England squad. Henderson, Pope and Pickford are all under 21 plus you've got the likes of Ramsdale, Woodman and Gunn. 
    Personally feel his better than 4 of those you have mentioned. Henderson is a superb keeper, that season at Shrewsbury before his 2 years at Sheffield utd you could see that. But dills is better than pickford, ramsdale, woodman and gunn imo or had the potential to be. Read the comments before mine, people calling him error prone. His a keeper, every mistake is highlighted but he very rarely makes the same high profile mistake twice, if ever. The best thing about Dillon is consistency. 
  • Options
    I've watched the clip 5x and I actually can't tell what the hell he was trying to do.
  • Options
    Been dropped by Cardiff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Bounced back well from that Watford error. Clean sheets against both Stoke and then tonight Swansea, including a superb save right at the end that meant Cardiff held on for a 1-0 away win against their biggest rivals.

He's played 12 games, they've won 8 and he's kept 7 clean sheets. Pretty decent record really.
    Anyone slagging Dillon off is clearly still pissed he left us or hasn't watched Amos play in goal this season. Dills is a fantastic keeper and has a very bright future ahead of him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the prem and England teams within the next 2/3 years. For England not as #1 but one of the 3 picked.
    I haven't seen anyone slagging him to be honest, think he left with everyone's best wishes. I think he could make it to the Prem but I'd be surprised if he made it into the England squad. Henderson, Pope and Pickford are all under 21 plus you've got the likes of Ramsdale, Woodman and Gunn. 
    Personally feel his better than 4 of those you have mentioned. Henderson is a superb keeper, that season at Shrewsbury before his 2 years at Sheffield utd you could see that. But dills is better than pickford, ramsdale, woodman and gunn imo or had the potential to be. Read the comments before mine, people calling him error prone. His a keeper, every mistake is highlighted but he very rarely makes the same high profile mistake twice, if ever. The best thing about Dillon is consistency. 
    Are you really saying that Dillon Phillips is better than the current England number 1? I love a Charlton academy success story as well but we need to be realistic. 

There are lots of better English keepers around than Dillon Phillips. He is a very good championship keeper and might develop and get a premier league gig one day but to say he is better than Pickford is rose tinted 
  • Options
    Been dropped by Cardiff
    There again, I'm not sure quite what his replacement, Smithies, was doing for Blackburn's first goal (30 seconds in) or whether he wasn't a bit late getting down to the feet of the striker (1.58) for the second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScBgAa7Q_YY
  • Options
    Don't laugh... He's gone to Belgium on loan... Has joined KV Oostende for the season

• Options
    Wow, that's a random place to go. Out of contract next summer
  • Options
    Probably not the career he expected since leaving us after seeing out his contract. He's made more money since leaving the club he supports but career has not progressed for me.
  • Options
    Hope he comes back to us.
  • Options
    Thought that the club he's going to might also be owned by Vincent Tan. It isn't but it is owned by the bloke who owns a number of clubs including Barnsley:

Barnsley F.C. (England)
    FC Thun (Switzerland)
    K.V. Oostende (Belgium)
    Nancy (France)
    Esbjerg fB (Denmark)
    FC Den Bosch (Netherlands)
    1. FC Kaiserslautern (10%) (Germany)

• Options
    Interesting, his competition at his new club is a goalkeeper linked with us before, Guillaume Hubert who used to play for Standard Liege.
  • Options
    I really liked him and how he bided his time with us and became number one.  I had hoped he would go on and do well at Cardiff, but this is a backward move.  Expect he’ll be back in League One or even Two next season when his contract expires, unless he likes it over there 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder if he went quietly or with a Twist and Shout?
  • Options
    Rose tinted, good shot stopper but his distribution was mediocre, dunno if he’d suit our style better than wollacot
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Would take him over any of our current keepers
    Agree entirely. DP is a great keeper. Amazed he's taken this rather backward step to nowheresville in Belgium. I'd say he is Premier quality. Something not quite right here. Makes no sense this move. 
  • Options
    He'll still get the same big money every week and presumably thinks he will play every week (we will see).

Players don't normally give a shit about how big the ground is, as long as the pitch is ok and they can have their own creature comforts. 
  • Options
    Career is going backwards - thought he'd do better.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    He'll still get the same big money every week and presumably thinks he will play every week (we will see).

Players don't normally give a shit about how big the ground is, as long as the pitch is ok and they can have their own creature comforts. 
    I haven't googled where his new team are based. He is from Kent and the journey back on Eurostar may be quicker and easier than driving up and down the m4 from cardiff to visit family. 

• Options
    Simonsen said:

I haven't googled where his new team are based. He is from Kent and the journey back on Eurostar may be quicker and easier than driving up and down the m4 from cardiff to visit family. 

Not unless he's got an Irish passport!!
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

He’ll have a work permit! Think he can get a ferry to training each day 😂