Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• S35 Dispersal Notice in force now until Friday. The square has also been cordoned off. Batman and Robin spotted on top of the Town Hall building.
  • clive said:
    Christ! Another blight on dear old Woolwich.
    When I was a kid I was proud to come from Woolwich - I mean, it was never exactly genteel even in the 1950's but it had something about it.
    I had 2 uncles who used to work at Siemens, would clock off a Saturday morning shift and go to the Valley.
    Another uncle was stationed in the barracks, and my Nan worked as a cleaner in the Woolwich Equitable Building.
    I remember as a kid being pleased as Punch when the Dandy comic featured Woolwich in their "My Home Town" page.
    MacDonald's opened their first UK takeaway in Woolwich because they considered it "a typical, normal English town".
    Hustling, bustling markets, Department stores, ornately architectured cinemas.
    Rose tinted specs for sure, there were always rough elements, but now it seems to be all scummy, without the good bits.
    Ho hum!

That's the Woolwich I remember growing up in the 60s.
  • bobmunro said:
    clive said:
    When I was a kid I was proud to come from Woolwich - I mean, it was never exactly genteel even in the 1950's but it had something about it.
    I had 2 uncles who used to work at Siemens, would clock off a Saturday morning shift and go to the Valley.
    Another uncle was stationed in the barracks, and my Nan worked as a cleaner in the Woolwich Equitable Building.
    I remember as a kid being pleased as Punch when the Dandy comic featured Woolwich in their "My Home Town" page.
    MacDonald's opened their first UK takeaway in Woolwich because they considered it "a typical, normal English town".
    Rose tinted specs for sure, there were always rough elements, but now it seems to be all scummy, without the good bits.
    Ho hum!

Me too Bob, born and bred in Woolwich and we are the same age. Sadly a shadow of its former self. 
  • bobmunro said:
    clive said:
    Ho hum!

Me too Bob, born and bred in Woolwich and we are the same age. Sadly a shadow of its former self. 
    Was in Woolwich town centre yesterday for the first time in probably over 35 years, Christ on a bike, what a dump it has become. 
  • ...become???
  • bobmunro said:
    clive said:
    Ho hum!

Born and bred in Greenhithe but mum and dad were both from SE London and used to take me up to Woolwich (and Lewisham for that matter), seemed like a real treat back then and a nice change from going to either Dartford or Gravesend.
  • Born Woolwich 1965.
    lived in Charlton until 1980.
    loved everything about it.
    Have visited Woolwich for about 
    20 years. Can’t believe how much it’s 
    changed by reading these comments 
  • edited November 2021
    The Dandy August 1963

A tunnel from Eltham Palace to Greenwich Park?

And come on, Roger.  You could have had the complete cowboy outfit.
  • Sponsored links:

• woolwich has always seen better days since i've been around but was THE place back in the day - other than the historic importance, i'm told by family that in the 50 / 60's, if u couldn't buy it in Woolwich, you're only chance was Oxford Street - a sad decline followed however, mirroring the decline of the local docks and factories - and its football team !! 
  • I was walking through the firework-throwing nonsense last Sunday! One went off about five yards from me and my girlfriend. Teens were screaming and running everywhere. A police van pulled up. Another firework struck a building in front of us. It was like a warzone! We calmly walked up Wellington St and weren't bothered after that, but it did seem pretty rum 
  • clive said:

" ... and if your recognise ..."?

Don't people poof-read these things?
  • Leuth said:
    I was walking through the firework-throwing nonsense last Sunday! One went off about five yards from me and my girlfriend. Teens were screaming and running everywhere. A police van pulled up. Another firework struck a building in front of us. It was like a warzone! We calmly walked up Wellington St and weren't bothered after that, but it did seem pretty rum 
    Don't fuck with @Leuth
  • edited November 2021
    Woolwich makes Kabul seem like Beverley Hills. 
  • Woolwich has certainly been through the doldrums but its rising fast. As soon as crossrail opens it’s going to have literally fantastic transport links into central London with Overground, Underground and DLR all within a stones through from each other. Massive developments along the Woolwich Road and in the old Arsenal site. Massive river frontage as well. You could do a lot worse than invest in Woolwich at the moment. 
  • Woolwich has certainly been through the doldrums but its rising fast. As soon as crossrail opens it’s going to have literally fantastic transport links into central London with Overground, Underground and DLR all within a stones through from each other. Massive developments along the Woolwich Road and in the old Arsenal site. Massive river frontage as well. You could do a lot worse than invest in Woolwich at the moment. 

I stated humming 'The Wombles of Wimbledon Common' when reading that!

I hope you're right - my home town could do with a break, although having said that it's a recipe for pricing born and bred out of the housing market.
  • bobmunro said:
    Woolwich has certainly been through the doldrums but its rising fast. As soon as crossrail opens it’s going to have literally fantastic transport links into central London with Overground, Underground and DLR all within a stones through from each other. Massive developments along the Woolwich Road and in the old Arsenal site. Massive river frontage as well. You could do a lot worse than invest in Woolwich at the moment. 

I hope you're right - my home town could do with a break, although having said that it's a recipe for pricing born and bred out of the housing market.
    I did when I was writing it 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • bobmunro said:
    Woolwich has certainly been through the doldrums but its rising fast. As soon as crossrail opens it’s going to have literally fantastic transport links into central London with Overground, Underground and DLR all within a stones through from each other. Massive developments along the Woolwich Road and in the old Arsenal site. Massive river frontage as well. You could do a lot worse than invest in Woolwich at the moment. 

yea, can see it being next on the list for hipsterization
  • Sponsored links:

• Woolwich has certainly been through the doldrums but its rising fast. As soon as crossrail opens it’s going to have literally fantastic transport links into central London with Overground, Underground and DLR all within a stones through fireworks throw from each other. Massive developments along the Woolwich Road and in the old Arsenal site. Massive river frontage as well. You could do a lot worse than invest in Woolwich at the moment. 

• edited November 2021
    Curb_It said:
    You can go and see Mica Paris this month in the new Woolwich works.  

https://www.woolwich.works/events/mica-paris

A list of Christmas entertainment there.

https://www.woolwich.works/whats-on/category/christmas-1

Stop in the beautiful Guardhouse for a beer or three on your way.  My favourite pub in the area.  It is a Youngs but very nice.  I love sitting in the big red leather armchairs in the winter.

Tempted... probably not.  But there is some good stuff going on there.  

Guard house? Dial arch you mean
    edit: never seen the guard house, just googled it and its next to dial arch. So woolwich has 2 youngs pubs..
  • Yes. The Guardhouse is at the gates as you enter the Arsenal on the left. It has been open a good few years now. 

Yes Woolwich has two Young’s, compared to the 5 in Greenwich! 
  • SamB09 said:
    Curb_It said:
    You can go and see Mica Paris this month in the new Woolwich works.  

https://www.woolwich.works/events/mica-paris

A list of Christmas entertainment there.

https://www.woolwich.works/whats-on/category/christmas-1

Stop in the beautiful Guardhouse for a beer or three on your way.  My favourite pub in the area.  It is a Youngs but very nice.  I love sitting in the big red leather armchairs in the winter.

Tempted... probably not.  But there is some good stuff going on there.  

Guard house? Dial arch you mean
    edit: never seen the guard house, just googled it and its next to dial arch. So woolwich has 2 youngs pubs..
    Both are decent boozers. 
  • I remember as a kid the army used to have a kind of open day which (I think) was called the Woolwich at home.

My Uncle was a civilian electrician who covered the Royal Herbert, the barracks and the Naafi so was well placed to let us know when these events came up.  The only thing I really remember about it though was the motorbike display team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0C-TT17zSM 
  • I remember as a kid the army used to have a kind of open day which (I think) was called the Woolwich at home.

My Uncle was a civilian electrician who covered the Royal Herbert, the barracks and the Naafi so was well placed to let us know when these events came up.  The only thing I really remember about it though was the motorbike display team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0C-TT17zSM 
    My old man took me to see a military show on the common when I was a kid. Would have been early 70's. I can remeber the Hussars doing a display with horses and cannons and the motorbikes. The most vivid memeory though is one of the parachute team missing the drop point, landing in the stand and inuring one of the specatators. 
  • The Royal Artillery at Home was something not to be missed when I was a kid - and up to the age of six I lived just off the common so used to be taken as soon as I could walk! Still continued to go after we moved to Plumstead.
  • edited November 2021
    Going to the Dial Arch or the Guard House when the Woolwich Equitable is right there is absurd imo. Two nastily gussied-up troughs for the riverside development set versus a place with character and decent beer 
  • (Bear in mind I like my pubs Victorian at the newest, tbf) 
  • Normally stay in Docklands and get the train over but this time I have booked myself and the kids the Travel Inn in Woolwich, is it a dodgy area nowdays ?