Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    Belvedere  is a proper village....it has 7 mens hairdressers and 7 pubs and 4 churches. 
    I can only count 6 Pubs? 
    I thought that, but the Harry has a Belvedere address so it is 7. As far as I know all the pubs in the village + the Harry are still going, but all the ones down the hill have closed. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    They spent an absolute fortune importing that granite but failed to make the most of the Square at that time. The underground electric boxes for traders were a big mistake. Impossible to maintain, constantly letting in water (who knew?!) and the hydraulics on the boxes  are rarely repaired which is why skateboarders use them as ramps in the evening ! 
    Hopefully, this new project will lead to a better design for the market stalls.
  • Options
    Talking of things going wrong in Woolwich, I remember years ago, (early sixties), they built a auto-stacker multi-storey car park, it was never used and eventually pulled down in 1965-66. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Stacker
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    ross1 said:
    Talking of things going wrong in Woolwich, I remember years ago, (early sixties), they built a auto-stacker multi-storey car park, it was never used and eventually pulled down in 1965-66. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Stacker
    It was officially opened by Princess Margaret.
    When you say it was never used that was because they couldn't get it to function. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I only remember 4 cinemas in Woolwich that were opened at the same time. Granada, Odeon, Century in Beresford Square, and the Regal which has just been pulled down. Plumstead had 3 cinemas at one time, Century, Plaza and the Savoy on Plumstead Common
    Had a quick chat with me mother. Bearing in mind she is in her late 80's and memory isn't what it was. She is fairly sure she remembers 5 cinemas - the 3 that were still operating when I was a lad; Odeon, Granada, Regal (ABC). She said there was also one in Powis Street near corner of Hare Street that was bombed out in the War. She doesn't remember the name. The fifth was in New Road along from where the Tramshed is and opposite the Post Office. She doesn't remember its proper name, but says it was known locally as the "Bug Hutch"
    @Six-a-bag-of-nuts The Bug Hutch (The Globe?) rings a bell from stories my Dad used to tell as his family lived nearby. The Empire Theatre in Beresford St was a music hall, used to show films for a while but withstood the war and was demolished in 1959.
    Hey @RedChaser, remember this conversation?
    I finally managed to solve the mystery of "The Bug Hutch" - correct name was The Palace Picture Theatre, in Woolwich New Road.
    Was actually opposite the station on the junction with Vincent Road.
    http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/32765
    Found out from my Mum (still going strong at 90) that my aunt was actually an usherette there.
    My aunt is also still alive at 95, but has dementia, so sadly I will never get any stories from her
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I only remember 4 cinemas in Woolwich that were opened at the same time. Granada, Odeon, Century in Beresford Square, and the Regal which has just been pulled down. Plumstead had 3 cinemas at one time, Century, Plaza and the Savoy on Plumstead Common
    Had a quick chat with me mother. Bearing in mind she is in her late 80's and memory isn't what it was. She is fairly sure she remembers 5 cinemas - the 3 that were still operating when I was a lad; Odeon, Granada, Regal (ABC). She said there was also one in Powis Street near corner of Hare Street that was bombed out in the War. She doesn't remember the name. The fifth was in New Road along from where the Tramshed is and opposite the Post Office. She doesn't remember its proper name, but says it was known locally as the "Bug Hutch"
    @Six-a-bag-of-nuts The Bug Hutch (The Globe?) rings a bell from stories my Dad used to tell as his family lived nearby. The Empire Theatre in Beresford St was a music hall, used to show films for a while but withstood the war and was demolished in 1959.
    I finally managed to solve the mystery of "The Bug Hutch" - correct name was The Palace Picture Theatre, in Woolwich New Road.
    Found out from my Mum (still going strong at 90) that my aunt was actually an usherette there.
    My aunt is also still alive at 95, but has dementia, so sadly I will never get any stories from her
    Vaguely mate, blimey 5 years ago! Thanks for the info 👍
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Try asking your aunt if she remembers. My dad had dementia and could'nt remember what happened 10 minutes ago but could tell with detail what he was doing 70 years ago.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Try asking your aunt if she remembers. My dad had dementia and could'nt remember what happened 10 minutes ago but could tell with detail what he was doing 70 years ago.
    Haven't seen my aunt for a number of years and we are geographically distant, so I am unsure of her current status.
    I agree that dementia can follow an unpredictable pattern though.
    My dad, who died from it in April aged 92 had dementia for 20 years (despite being given a 5 year prognosis at the outset).
    In the middle of it all he suddenly and completely out of the blue re-found his artistic muse and started sketching again, despite having no memory of the wonderful sketches he once did that the care home staff had hanging on the wall in his room.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5m74AW_-dg

The North Woolwich Railway: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Very horrible scene getting off the train last night.  This is absolutely ridiculous... 14/15 year old kids stabbing each other to death in the streets in broad daylight.  Just beyond senseless. 
    Saw the pictures last night & felt awful.
    That part of Woolwich ‘looks’ so much safer than when I was a teenager knocking around there. Looks can be very deceiving can’t they.
    That poor kid & his family 😞
  • Options
    probably the busiest part of Woolwich where both the station and main bus terminals are.

literally mental that this happens in broad daylight at rush hour
  • Options
    You only have to see videos online now to realise 'no fcks are given' these days.

I never thought I'd see a machete fight in broad daylight in hyde park but seems to be everywhere at the moment.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Very horrible scene getting off the train last night.  This is absolutely ridiculous... 14/15 year old kids stabbing each other to death in the streets in broad daylight.  Just beyond senseless. 
    That part of Woolwich ‘looks’ so much safer than when I was a teenager knocking around there. Looks can be very deceiving can’t they.
    You don't want to be around there at school chucking out time.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    I will certainly ensure my kids never are !!
  • Options
    Crazy how you can cross the road and go into the dial arch and its a totally different world!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Curb_It said:
    My sister works in Powis Street, but was off yesterday thankfully.  She would usually walk home past the station.  She saw all the cordoned off area this morning and we had a chat.  She said it's a nightmare there every evening with the kids coming in on buses from various schools all over and then waiting on other buses to move on home.  I remember seeing an increased police presence when I was sometimes on my way home early after meetings, but have been working from home now for so long you just don't realise that it's still needed and more so by the sounds of it. 

I honestly don't know what you can do to change these kids mindsets, when they seem to give so little value to life.    
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Curb_It said:
    My sister works in Powis Street, but was off yesterday thankfully.  She would usually walk home past the station.  She saw all the cordoned off area this morning and we had a chat.  She said it's a nightmare there every evening with the kids coming in on buses from various schools all over and then waiting on other buses to move on home.  I remember seeing an increased police presence when I was sometimes on my way home early after meetings, but have been working from home now for so long you just don't realise that it's still needed and more so by the sounds of it. 

I honestly don't know what you can do to change these kids mindsets, when they seem to give so little value to life.    
    I’m no expert and could well be working on uninformed opinion but.
    Kids don’t think about death in the same way as adults. They either believe they’re immortal and fear nothing or they’re thinking about death incessantly. Either way there’s little thought of consequences for those who partake in violence. I don’t know how that circle is squared but something needs to happen so that knives are not in the equation any more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Looks like another one 
  • Options
    surely still the same one?
  • Options
    No, different place and this wasn't there at 5 last night.
  • Options
    I've just had a look at the Newsshopper and there was another stabbing in Welling on monday night.
  • Options
    It’s the same place.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    It’s the same place.
    Ok
  • Options
    Don't stay in London often, but i stayed in Woolwich last weekend (Travelodge) when i was catching up with some old Charlton buddies whom i hadn't seen for nigh on 15 months.

Before i went out for the afternoon/evening as i was going to be home late, i only took out enough money for the day and left my train pass and phone and wallet in the room before i went out. mainly due to the dodgy looking characters hanging about Powis Street during the day.

Sad times when you have to think and act accordingly.
  • Options
    The tent is still up this morning. A very sad sight. 
  • Options
    Don't stay in London often, but i stayed in Woolwich last weekend (Travelodge) when i was catching up with some old Charlton buddies whom i hadn't seen for nigh on 15 months.

Before i went out for the afternoon/evening as i was going to be home late, i only took out enough money for the day and left my train pass and phone and wallet in the room before i went out. mainly due to the dodgy looking characters hanging about Powis Street during the day.

Sad times when you have to think and act accordingly.
    I don't feel this, but I do totally get why some people do.