Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• Off_it said:
    Crusty54 said:
    I can't see why the above means 14/15 year olds go round murdering each other.
    There's not massive retail development in much of Cornwall for example, but I've not heard that the local kids go round murdering each other.
    Mainly because there is no scope for jobs locally for school leavers. Many of the premises are currently bookies and charity shops.

I was in Lower Edmonton earlier in the week. Similar in many ways to Woolwich but it has a thriving shopping centre incorporating a lot of market stalls.
    None of which gives any explanation as to why school age kids are murdering each other.

Do people seriously think a few nicer shops would make these kids give up the gangsta lifestyle, or would it just give them somewhere else to rob?

One of the poorest, most deprived and under-represented communities in London is the Bangladeshi community in Tower Hamlets. Sure, they have lots of problems, but you don't hear of their kids constantly murdering each other. I've no idea why that is,  but it isn't because they have more nice shops.
    The thread is about Woolwich not just knife crime. Any afternoon you will see groups of school kids gathering around the town centre. No Police activity most days. Older youths can be seen with them. It appears they may be recruiting for gangs. 

Money is to be spent on improvements in the area. Hopefully it will make it an easier space to control.
  • My missus went out in Woolwich last night with all her workmates. Had a nice time, with zero incidents. True story.
  • Off_it said:
    Crusty54 said:
    There's not massive retail development in much of Cornwall for example, but I've not heard that the local kids go round murdering each other.
    Mainly because there is no scope for jobs locally for school leavers. Many of the premises are currently bookies and charity shops.

I was in Lower Edmonton earlier in the week. Similar in many ways to Woolwich but it has a thriving shopping centre incorporating a lot of market stalls.
    None of which gives any explanation as to why school age kids are murdering each other.

Do people seriously think a few nicer shops would make these kids give up the gangsta lifestyle, or would it just give them somewhere else to rob?

One of the poorest, most deprived and under-represented communities in London is the Bangladeshi community in Tower Hamlets. Sure, they have lots of problems, but you don't hear of their kids constantly murdering each other. I've no idea why that is,  but it isn't because they have more nice shops.
    Tower Hamlets has loads of knife crime and has it's fair share of murders. This was from a patrol just the other day
    It beggars belief that weapons like there can be bought in this country. 
    Surely they are illegal and if so how can customs not spot them entering the country. 
    What makes you think they’re not made in the UK?
  • Vincenzo said:
    My missus went out in Woolwich last night with all her workmates. Had a nice time, with zero incidents. True story.
    I dont think the issue is that Woolwich is  OK to go out and have a meal or some drinks, like you say that's fine.
    But there is an issue.
    It's an elephant in the room that people won't discuss because it's not politically correct.
    And for those saying Woolwich is inner city  fck me, it really isn't.
    Gentrification of inner city areas plus housing benefit caps have purposely pushed people out of the inner city.  Woolwich and other areas are affordable so therefore inner city problems move there.
    Deptford,  Peckham, Elephant, Bermondsey  families have been pushed out and priced out. The problem just gets pushed to new areas and never solved.

There are still problems in all of the areas you've mentioned - there is crime across London. Cities have had more crime since the beginning of time - you might keep a lid on it but it will never disappear.

One thing that might help in a lot of areas is people stop supporting the drug trade.

• clive said:
    Belvedere  is a proper village....it has 7 mens hairdressers and 7 pubs and 4 churches. 
    I can only count 6 Pubs? 
     The Village Inn, The Fox, The Standard,
    The Victoria, The Prince of Wales,  The Eardley and The Great Harry. 

Plus at the bottom,  The Half Way House. 

As of April this was true. 

Suggest all those who suggested I was drunk at the time go on a drive yo test their eye sight. 

I am not talking about Belvedere per se but the village, for many still known as Nuxley Village.

The Great Harry is not in the village and sadly closes for good on 7 August.

The Half Way House again is not in the village. 
  • Vincenzo said:
    My missus went out in Woolwich last night with all her workmates. Had a nice time, with zero incidents. True story.
    With respect your Mrs is not a young man between the ages of 14 and 23, she is of no interest to those causing the problems. 
  • Excellent post Shooters 
  • edited July 2021
    The problem isn’t Woolwich or anywhere else. The problem is the young men who think gang culture and serious violence is part of normal life. Try putting yourself into thinking it’s perfectly acceptable to go out with a machete and not being bothered about using it. It’s impossible for us to make that leap. We can’t process that mindset. It’s all very well blaming it on poverty or lack of roll models but until the gang culture isn’t seen as an attractive lifestyle it will continue. It’s a relatively easy way of getting money by being part of drug distribution and petty crime. Theres also no point in condemning these young men for their actions referencing previous generations of young men who were poorer and just as jobless. It’s a different world with different values. Young men have always had too much testosterone and caused problems. It also seems that young men need camaraderie and a need to belong to something. Look at football fans unacceptable behaviour. In previous generations there have been wars and national service that have guided and utilised a young mans natural tendencies and attributes. I’m sure mine is a very old fashioned view but I think a years national service (not military) would at least solve more problems than it caused. It might take years to become part of the accepted national psyche but eventually I think it could be a good thing. There are plenty of projects that could be found for those on national service. We just need to look at what some other countries are doing. Doing nothing is surely not an option and quite frankly youth clubs offering ping pong won’t cut it. 
    It’s glamourised though. Every film or box set elevates it, many rappers or grime artists seem to encourage it. It’s cool to be near the edge, but too many too young quickly fall the wrong side of that line. 
  • Sponsored links:

• There is severe disruption this lunchtime in Woolwich after a bus incident.It appears a bus has either hit a wall near the entrance to the Royal Arsenal site. A large emergency services incident is in operation.

https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2021/10/22/bus-crashes-in-woolwich/

• How on earth did the bus get to be facing that way??
  • clive said:

There is severe disruption this lunchtime in Woolwich after a bus incident.It appears a bus has either hit a wall near the entrance to the Royal Arsenal site. A large emergency services incident is in operation.

Apparently the driver had a heart attack and drove straight through.  Doesn't sound good, either.  Poor bastard.
  • clive said:

There is severe disruption this lunchtime in Woolwich after a bus incident.It appears a bus has either hit a wall near the entrance to the Royal Arsenal site. A large emergency services incident is in operation.

Apparently the driver had a heart attack and drove straight through.  Doesn't sound good, either.  Poor bastard.
    Has the bus come down from the station and should have done a right, instead of going straight on?
  • No disrespect to the driver but let’s hope he is the only casualty. 
  • edited October 2021
    clive said:
    Belvedere  is a proper village....it has 7 mens hairdressers and 7 pubs and 4 churches. 
    North Woolwich... across the water from Woolwich proper. Haven't they rebuilt Woolwich a few times over the years, never seems to help tho.
  • clive said:

Has the bus come down from the station and should have done a right, instead of going straight on?
    I would think thats what's happened.
  • Off_it said:
    Crusty54 said:

Tower Hamlets has loads of knife crime and has it's fair share of murders. This was from a patrol just the other day
    were they preparing for a zombie apocolypse?
  • JaShea99 said:
    Off_it said:
    Crusty54 said:

It beggars belief that weapons like there can be bought in this country. 
    Surely they are illegal and if so how can customs not spot them entering the country. 
    What makes you think they’re not made in the UK?
    There are probably more knife manufacturers in the UK now than we've had for sometime. Like Savernake or, remarkably Blenheim Forge in Peckham. Thing is low-life scum would be highly unlikely to be able to afford the product. This damascus number from Blenheim Forge looks the business*.  https://blenheimforge.co.uk/editions/nickel-damascus-gyuto

*the business in this case being food preparation of course.
  • The penalties need to be tougher for carrying a knife. Personally I’d give it two strikes and you’re out for a ten stretch. 
  • Sponsored links:

I think a pedestrian was hit by the bus when it mounted the pavement.  I'm not sure of the outcome for either, but my friend who lives on The Arse says it isn't expected to be very positive.  As you might expect, police are keeping things need-to-know at at the moment.
    I think a pedestrian was hit by the bus when it mounted the pavement.  I'm not sure of the outcome for either, but my friend who lives on The Arse says it isn't expected to be very positive.  As you might expect, police are keeping things need-to-know at at the moment.
    Oh.
  • Slightly better news. Driver thankfully alive but in critical condition. No other casualties mentioned in report.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/woolwich-bus-crash-live-residents-21939754
  • OB getting grief in Woolwich at the mo
  • OB getting grief in Woolwich at the mo
    Just leaving there. Combination of half term and fireworks. The kids I saw on the square were fine just a bit excited.
  • I'm reading a book about John Lennon at the moment and The Fourmost get a mention or two. 

I sort of remembered the act, but checked them out on Youtube as you do.  The first video I came across featured them performing on a  boat called the Royal Isis.  It's a very distinctive looking boat which I recognised instantly from a Thames side walk I'd done years ago.  The boat was in a very dilapidated state when I saw it, but at least it was afloat unlike in this more recent photograph. 

Just as a point of interest anyone know if it's still around or what happened to it?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUmbqK236P8&list=RDEUmbqK236P8&start_radio=1
  • I'm reading a book about John Lennon at the moment and The Fourmost get a mention or two. 

I sort of remembered the act, but checked them out on Youtube as you do.  The first video I came across featured them performing on a  boat called the Royal Isis.  It's a very distinctive looking boat which I recognised instantly from a Thames side walk I'd done years ago.  The boat was in a very dilapidated state when I saw it, but at least it was afloat unlike in this more recent photograph. 

Just as a point of interest anyone know if it's still around or what happened to it?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUmbqK236P8&list=RDEUmbqK236P8&start_radio=1
    It’s still there exactly as pictured. It’s by the new riverside arts complex, you can see it from the cafe there.
  • edited October 2021

• edited October 2021
    Took this yesterday. You can just see in the background that the Thames Barrier was raised.
  • I'm sure the Royal Isis was a ferry on the Mersey.