Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• SamB09 said:
    Curb_It said:
    You can go and see Mica Paris this month in the new Woolwich works.  

https://www.woolwich.works/events/mica-paris

A list of Christmas entertainment there.

https://www.woolwich.works/whats-on/category/christmas-1

Stop in the beautiful Guardhouse for a beer or three on your way.  My favourite pub in the area.  It is a Youngs but very nice.  I love sitting in the big red leather armchairs in the winter.

Tempted... probably not.  But there is some good stuff going on there.  

Guard house? Dial arch you mean
    edit: never seen the guard house, just googled it and its next to dial arch. So woolwich has 2 youngs pubs..
    Both are decent boozers. 
  • I remember as a kid the army used to have a kind of open day which (I think) was called the Woolwich at home.

My Uncle was a civilian electrician who covered the Royal Herbert, the barracks and the Naafi so was well placed to let us know when these events came up.  The only thing I really remember about it though was the motorbike display team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0C-TT17zSM 
  • I remember as a kid the army used to have a kind of open day which (I think) was called the Woolwich at home.

My Uncle was a civilian electrician who covered the Royal Herbert, the barracks and the Naafi so was well placed to let us know when these events came up.  The only thing I really remember about it though was the motorbike display team.

My old man took me to see a military show on the common when I was a kid. Would have been early 70's. I can remeber the Hussars doing a display with horses and cannons and the motorbikes. The most vivid memeory though is one of the parachute team missing the drop point, landing in the stand and inuring one of the specatators. 
  • The Royal Artillery at Home was something not to be missed when I was a kid - and up to the age of six I lived just off the common so used to be taken as soon as I could walk! Still continued to go after we moved to Plumstead.
  • edited November 2021
    Going to the Dial Arch or the Guard House when the Woolwich Equitable is right there is absurd imo. Two nastily gussied-up troughs for the riverside development set versus a place with character and decent beer 
  • (Bear in mind I like my pubs Victorian at the newest, tbf) 
  • Normally stay in Docklands and get the train over but this time I have booked myself and the kids the Travel Inn in Woolwich, is it a dodgy area nowdays ?
  • Honestly it's fine
  • AndyG said:
    Normally stay in Docklands and get the train over but this time I have booked myself and the kids the Travel Inn in Woolwich, is it a dodgy area nowdays ?
    Do you mean the Premier Inn or the Travelodge?
  • Curb_It said:
    Yes. The Guardhouse is at the gates as you enter the Arsenal on the left. It has been open a good few years now. 

Yes Woolwich has two Young’s, compared to the 5 in Greenwich! 
    What's wrong with Young's?
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:
    You can go and see Mica Paris this month in the new Woolwich works.  

https://www.woolwich.works/events/mica-paris

Why would anyone want to do that?

Unless she was your One Temptation, of course!

My old man took me to see a military show on the common when I was a kid. Would have been early 70's. I can remeber the Hussars doing a display with horses and cannons and the motorbikes. The most vivid memeory though is one of the parachute team missing the drop point, landing in the stand and inuring one of the specatators. 
    There is still an annual army show - normally on the Barrack Field but it didn't happen last year. 

The Royal Horse Artillery are now based in Woolwich and will remain in their purpose built accommodation when the rest of the army pull out of Woolwich.
  • Leuth said:
    Going to the Dial Arch or the Guard House when the Woolwich Equitable is right there is absurd imo. Two nastily gussied-up troughs for the riverside development set versus a place with character and decent beer 
    But the equitable is in the rough part of woolwich! No thanks

I remember as a kid the army used to have a kind of open day which (I think) was called the Woolwich at home.

Remember walking from Canberra Rd as 
    a kid to see the military show every year.
    Also the Circus on the common. 
    (Real Animals in those days)
  • SamB09 said:
    Leuth said:
    But the equitable is in the rough part of woolwich! No thanks
    You know you're allowed to cross the road, right?
  • edited November 2021
    My Dad was posted to Woolwich at the start of the war, met my Mum who worked in the Arsenal at a dance at Woolwich Town Hall
    Transferred from RA to RMP after WW2 and spent his time knocking heads to-gether in Woolwich when the squaddies got out of hand.
    Always happy to help the civilian authorities get a grip when Beresford Sq was getting a bit too lively on a Friday and Saturday Nights.

• Off_it said:
    Curb_It said:
    Yes. The Guardhouse is at the gates as you enter the Arsenal on the left. It has been open a good few years now. 

Nothing, apart from them being a bit pricey, especially on the Savvy B.  But I curtailed my measurements to medium size glasses on Saturday so it wasn't too painful... 

• Curb_It said:
    Off_it said:
    Curb_It said:

Nothing, apart from them being a bit pricey, especially on the Savvy B.  But I curtailed my measurements to medium size glasses on Saturday so it wasn't too painful... 

You’ve changed!!! 😉
  • Leuth said:
    I went in the Woolwich Equitable about 5 years ago, prior to the freezing cold meeting about RD.
    It felt like Steptoe's front room and I "felt" dirty in there and wiped my feet on the way out.
    Has it changed?
  • Leuth said:
    (Bear in mind I like my pubs Victorian at the newest, tbf) 
    If the Woolwich Equitable is in Equitable House you’ll need to find a new boozer then - it wasn’t built until 1935
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    "Come, come, Veronica.  Fetch the young master another of his fancy light ales ... and mind that you charge him a full eightpence."
  • Leuth said:
    If the Woolwich Equitable is in Equitable House you’ll need to find a new boozer then - it wasn’t built until 1935
    Art Deco will have to do ;)
  • edited November 2021
    Surely more Art Nouveau than Art Deco? (perhaps even lending itself to Baroque).
  • TelMc32 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Off_it said:
    Curb_It said:

You’ve changed!!! 😉
    I was trying to pace myself! It was a struggle… 
  • Curb_It said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Off_it said:
    Curb_It said:

You’ve changed!!! 😉
    I was trying to pace myself! It was a struggle… 
    😂 Comes to us all B.  I finally learned to do it at my leaving do a few weeks ago. Only took me 40 years 🤷🏻‍♂️😂
  • I’m coming over for the Cambridge game.
    Decided to treat Bruv to a night out after the game to celebrate his 60th.
    Told him I’d pay for food & lodgings so we could have a real good knees up.
    Where did he say he wanted to stay?
    Woolwich Premier Inn.
    To be fair, the two rooms plus a big boys breakfast has come to the same as I’d have paid for one room only where I fancied going.
    You can take the man out of Cavan……………

So, just have to decided whether we want to wipe our shoes on the way out or the way in 😘😘😁😁
  • Never had any trouble in Woolwich.
  • Never had any trouble in Woolwich.
    Me neither (although haven't lived in the area since 1985!).