Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Red Bull (interest in an English club)

Comments

• JiMMy 85 said:

Are there many examples of pre-existing stadiums that had their names changed, that we use the sponsored name for? It works on new stadium (The Reebok, The Emirates) but it doesn't really work on a stadium that was named 100 years ago.

Stoke.

Used to be the Britannia but it's now the bet365 stadium
  • I'd rather Roland ruled us for another 50 years than Red Bull taking us over

We might exist in 50 years if RedBull take over,

Under Roland I doubt it'd be that result. Roland dies in 20 years and the club dies 10 years before that.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Are there many examples of pre-existing stadiums that had their names changed, that we use the sponsored name for? It works on new stadium (The Reebok, The Emirates) but it doesn't really work on a stadium that was named 100 years ago.

Stoke.

It's a new ground. They moved there in the 97/98 season. They used to play at the Victoria Ground.
  • edited November 2016
    Yes i know but it's still an existing stadium that's had a name sponsor change.

Does it matter if the stadium is 20 years old or 100 years old, it's still had it's name changed. How many clubs these days are still in the stadium they played in back in the 1930s/40s anyway?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I can't remember what the SportsDirect.com Amazing Value stadium was called before the name change...
  • But the point was there are no traditional stadiums that have had name changes, whilst new ones have. The Reebok is now the Macron, The Britannia is now the Bet365. Wigan changed from the JD to the DW, etc. but old stadiums don't usually change their name.

Bradford did try, they renamed Valley Parade to The Bradford & Bingley during their premiership years, but everybody called it Valley Parade. That's the issue, grounds that have been around for the best part of 100 years are already embedded in people's minds and you can officially change the name, but it won't change what people call it.
  • Red Bull's Head of Global Football has just told the SSN F1 guy that they aren't interested in buying an English club in the short term.

• Just said on Talksport that Swindon are about to make a significant announcement and mentioned the rumour circulating about Red Bull (whilst stating that it is very much a rumour)
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah it's rumoured it's Swindon getting a takeover. Could be red bull, could not be.
  • MrLargo said:

Just said on Talksport that Swindon are about to make a significant announcement and mentioned the rumour circulating about Red Bull (whilst stating that it is very much a rumour)

Interesting if they are singing from a different hymn sheet than Sky.
  • Swindon would be perfect, small club on a massive downward curve, going nowhere who'd likely be grateful for the influx of money, could do with a new stadium, already play in red and white, no other rivals within 30-40 miles

Are they on a downward curve, or drifting around the divisions like they normally do?

The area is a bit of a footballing backwater though
    But... it's a town that is going to sprawl further and further over the surrounding green and pleasant. Currently 220,000. Compares with Ipswich (140,000) and will catch up with Swansea (240,000) within 10 years or so. That sounds like a good target for RB to set up in a one-club town.
  • RedChaser said:

Ha ha ha Tim Sherwood new Swindon manager is the breaking news.

I bet QPR fans are relieved (though Holloway is rumoured for that job)

New manager in time to play us, I imagine he'll get a short term bounce there
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Stoke.

Exactly - I still call it the Britannia. Had no idea it had changed.
  • RedChaser said:

Ha ha ha Tim Sherwood new Swindon manager is the breaking news.

Not even manager...
  • edited November 2016

RedChaser said:

Ha ha ha Tim Sherwood new Swindon manager DOF is the breaking news.

Not even manager...
    Oops, as far as he's concerned he is :wink:
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Stoke.

And Dean Court is now called the Fitness First Stadium, but only by commentators and journalists (and I've heard them call it Dean Court by accident occasionally)
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Stoke.

Calling it the bet365 makes sense seeing that

a) bet365 bankroll the club and are a local Stoke company
    b) The Britannia building society name hasn't existed for 3 years!
  • I think some people on here may not be aware that The Britannia was called such because of a sponsorship deal.
  • edited November 2016
    Don't know if this has been mentioned but isn't Lee Power the Swindon chairman?
    He of course played for us in the first game back at The Valley.
    I know his dad Micky quite well, from the 60's Lewisham mod scene.
    Lee made his fortune when he started up a printing company producing sports programmes. I believe he produced the England football programmes at one time and quite a few Premier League clubs too, as well as many other sports.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Stoke.

Calling it the bet365 makes sense seeing that

a) bet365 bankroll the club and are a local Stoke company
    b) The Britannia building society name hasn't existed for 3 years!
    Whether Brittania exists or not isn't really the point. Or maybe even proves the point - the first name a stadium gets is what it's stuck with! I've never, ever heard anyone outside of the TV call it the 365.

• RB to buy Orient, do a deal with LLDC to rip up the hopeless and probably illegal contract with WHU, start afresh and move Orient into the OS ....
  • I think some people on here may not be aware that The Britannia was called such because of a sponsorship deal.

I didn't realise that at all. The Britannia Stadium sounds pretty good to me. Most sponsored stadium names are wanky in the extreme. Not least bet365.
  • Huddersfield's ground (which was quite iconic in its day) suffers a bit due to its name changes, it's on its 3rd name now (John Smith's)
  • Like I have already said, if they bought us they'd relocate us, and when you do that you can do anything. So no it won't be Red Bull Valley as we wouldn't be at The Valley. The kit and badge would change completely, at best the red will stay for the home kit, but the "traditional" (yuk) home kit for a RB team is white shirt red shorts and away is navy shirt yellow shorts. They also sometimes have an all red third kit. The name will change too and the FA won't stand in the way of it, as what is the point in demanding the club is still called Charlton Athletic if it's playing home games in a brand new arena built out near Bluewater?
  • sam3110 said:

Like I have already said, if they bought us they'd relocate us, and when you do that you can do anything. So no it won't be Red Bull Valley as we wouldn't be at The Valley. The kit and badge would change completely, at best the red will stay for the home kit, but the "traditional" (yuk) home kit for a RB team is white shirt red shorts and away is navy shirt yellow shorts. They also sometimes have an all red third kit. The name will change too and the FA won't stand in the way of it, as what is the point in demanding the club is still called Charlton Athletic if it's playing home games in a brand new arena built out near Bluewater?

Sounds good. Wife can go shopping and pick me up from the bar when she has finished.

If we are located in the other part of the chalk pit we could call the ground "Red pit bull". All very exciting, when are they coming?

Blue water or Red Bull, that is the question.

Perhaps a ground nearer the proposed theme park would be better though.
  • edited November 2016
    sam3110 said:

Like I have already said, if they bought us they'd relocate us, and when you do that you can do anything. So no it won't be Red Bull Valley as we wouldn't be at The Valley. The kit and badge would change completely, at best the red will stay for the home kit, but the "traditional" (yuk) home kit for a RB team is white shirt red shorts and away is navy shirt yellow shorts. They also sometimes have an all red third kit. The name will change too and the FA won't stand in the way of it, as what is the point in demanding the club is still called Charlton Athletic if it's playing home games in a brand new arena built out near Bluewater?

My God Sam...you are making a lot of unfounded assertions there aren't you?
    Anyway......it's hardly likely to happen in the first place.