Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Red Bull (interest in an English club)

Comments

• Somebody on here mentioned starting an AFC Charlton. Their idea was quite rightly put down by an intelligent post that said the identity of this club doesn't belong to RD, but to the fans. We still play in red, we still have our name and our logo and we still have our home. While we have that identity we have hope that our club can once again be reinvigorated.

Were Red Bull to take over and set about making the sort of changes that they have done to other teams in the Red Bull football network, and rest assured they will, we will see our identity eroded completely.

I am a Charlton Athletic supporter, not a Red Bull Charlton supporter. Our home is the Valley, not the Red Bull Arena.

If this were to happen then a phoenix club, which retains the true identity of Charlton Athletic, is inevitable. It means far to much to all of us to have it taken away by a string of corporate tyrants.

An AFC Charlton would have nothing. It would be a tiny nomad club, ground sharing somewhere in front of 500 to 1000 supporters at most
    You're telling me that if the a company like Red Bull were to come in, change the clubs name, logo, kit and ground to be unrecognisable from what it is now regular Charlton supporters would continue to support that?
    Some would, most wouldn't imho
  • They've been sniffing around English clubs for a while. Linked with Leeds a while back. I wouldn't say it's totally implausible but I definitely wouldn't be getting worried just yet.
  • se9addick said:

It will be Red Bull Charlton at best, Red Bull London more likely. Not "RB". RB is a compromise forced on them by the German system. I am not going to support a team called Red Bull. Some of you will just say "give us the money", and will not care that we will be hated by other clubs, as RB Leipzig is - and as increasingly West Ham will be.

I will probably try to develop an affection for AFC Wimbledon, which won't be difficult having met their CEO, but it will just loosen my ties with the place where I came from, and that would be sad.

All that said, half the Championship clubs are up for sale, and I think Red Bull, who are sharp business people, will find better value in those clubs, (e.g Leeds) especially when Duchatelet suggests they pay some silly price for his follies.

I don't think they would be able to change the name to RB London, or anything with London in it. Actually, given the FA's ruling on Hull last year ("Hull Tigers") I doubt they'd be allowed to change the name at all.
    Then Red Bull won't buy an English club. End of. There would be no point from their marketing perspective.

Big money can do anything in English football.

Then they won't.

If they want a "Red Bull xx FC" club in England I can't see them getting away with buying one of the 92 and just changing their name.
  • Would you accept a change of stadium name to have Roland out?
  • LuckyReds said:

Interesting that they claim the chap was here on behalf of RB Leipzig, to look at Lookman. I could understand looking at Bauer, but it seems quite rare for a young English player to go straight abroad.. doesn't it?

That would at least suggest that the clubs under Red Bull's control are staffed and scouted correctly.. Unfortunately, I think an acquisition from Red Bull would result in some cringey American-isms and quite a few gimmicks, albeit well funded American-isms and gimmicks!

Didnt

Charlton sources claim they were only at the Valley to watch Lookman.

Not sure everyone would welcome them with open arms in any case.

Also says club is not for sale.

: - )
    Didn't they buy Burke from Forest?...So guess would be Lookman.

My guess is most fans would accept 'The Red Bull Valley' as it would likely come with a lot of investment in a team that pretty quickly was back in the Championship and then potentially the Premier League

No. We can't crow about our club becoming unrecognisable under the current regime, and then support new owners who come in a begin messing with one of the most fundamental features of this clubs identity. It would be hypocritical.
    I guess it all boils to why we are protesting.

I would suggest some can see the wood for the trees and can see the complete identity of the club going down the swanny

Whilst others are most certainly having a dig because we're not doing too well on the football playing and results side.

As always, it's a numbers game

No. We can't crow about our club becoming unrecognisable under the current regime, and then support new owners who come in a begin messing with one of the most fundamental features of this clubs identity. It would be hypocritical.
    I guess it all boils to why we are protesting.

I would suggest some can see the wood for the trees and can see the complete identity of the club going down the swanny

Whilst others are most certainly having a dig because we're not doing too well on the football playing and results side.

As always, it's a numbers game
    There will be a point of no return where the clubs identity can not be salvaged from the shipwreck that is RD & KM, but we haven't reached it yet and I'm determined to fight for it until we reach that point.

If that means that we have to wait longer to find the right kind of owernship or suffer another relegation, then so be it. I'd rather have the club I love still there at the end of it, than Red Bull Charlton now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Somebody on here mentioned starting an AFC Charlton. Their idea was quite rightly put down by an intelligent post that said the identity of this club doesn't belong to RD, but to the fans. We still play in red, we still have our name and our logo and we still have our home. While we have that identity we have hope that our club can once again be reinvigorated.

Were Red Bull to take over and set about making the sort of changes that they have done to other teams in the Red Bull football network, and rest assured they will, we will see our identity eroded completely.

I am a Charlton Athletic supporter, not a Red Bull Charlton supporter. Our home is the Valley, not the Red Bull Arena.

If this were to happen then a phoenix club, which retains the true identity of Charlton Athletic, is inevitable. It means far to much to all of us to have it taken away by a string of corporate tyrants.

An AFC Charlton would have nothing. It would be a tiny nomad club, ground sharing somewhere in front of 500 to 1000 supporters at most
    You're telling me that if the a company like Red Bull were to come in, change the clubs name, logo, kit and ground to be unrecognisable from what it is now regular Charlton supporters would continue to support that?
    And if they did take us over, who is to say that they would change the name, badge, kit, etc, etc?

All speculation
  • It will be Red Bull Charlton at best, Red Bull London more likely. Not "RB". RB is a compromise forced on them by the German system. I am not going to support a team called Red Bull. Some of you will just say "give us the money", and will not care that we will be hated by other clubs, as RB Leipzig is - and as increasingly West Ham will be.

I will probably try to develop an affection for AFC Wimbledon, which won't be difficult having met their CEO, but it will just loosen my ties with the place where I came from, and that would be sad.

All that said, half the Championship clubs are up for sale, and I think Red Bull, who are sharp business people, will find better value in those clubs, (e.g Leeds) especially when Duchatelet suggests they pay some silly price for his follies.

I'm pretty sure there's an FA rule that you can't have a company name in your team name.
    Here up north 'Aquaforce' Shaw Lane FC were forced to change their name for the same reason.

In any case, RB would be devastating for the club. Would prefer Duchatelet or an AFC Charlton in that instance.
  • edited November 2016
    cafc999 said:

Somebody on here mentioned starting an AFC Charlton. Their idea was quite rightly put down by an intelligent post that said the identity of this club doesn't belong to RD, but to the fans. We still play in red, we still have our name and our logo and we still have our home. While we have that identity we have hope that our club can once again be reinvigorated.

And if they did take us over, who is to say that they would change the name, badge, kit, etc, etc?

All speculation
    Speculation, but based on previous form highly likely wouldn't you say? Just ask SV Austria Salzburg or New York MetroStars. It's not a risk worth taking in my opinion.

Quite. That's how AFC Wimbledon started. Remind of the result the other week, again?

Completely different situation. Wimbledon were moved 100 miles away to MK. The fans in South London effectively lost their club, which was then replaced by AFC Wimbledon

If Charlton were relocated to Bicester or Bedford, then yes an AFC Charlton would be the replacement club
  • Due to DFB rules Red Bull wasn't allowed to call the club Red Bull Leipzig. They made it Rasenballsport Leipzig and cutted it to RB. Anyone knows what RB really is for. So in England they make it Red Boys or something like that.
    The new badge for the club may be the Red Bull sign slightly different from the one on their products.
    So you will get an FA approval.

as long as it was the "xxxx Valley" i really wouldnt mind, it'd always be called the Valley

I'm not saying I'd be happy with the changes, but a lot of fans would support that if the team was successful. If the Charlton Red Bulls were playing in the PL in an expanded stadium, the vast majority of fans would be there, not watching some breakaway AFC style club
  • cafc999 said:

Somebody on here mentioned starting an AFC Charlton. Their idea was quite rightly put down by an intelligent post that said the identity of this club doesn't belong to RD, but to the fans. We still play in red, we still have our name and our logo and we still have our home. While we have that identity we have hope that our club can once again be reinvigorated.

All speculation
    Have they ever not changed the name, badge or kit of a side they've taken over ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016
    se9addick said:

cafc999 said:

All speculation
    Have they ever not changed the name, badge or kit of a side they've taken over ?
    True, but just because they have always done so in the past, doesn't mean they will do so in the future.

Anyway, until it's on the OS it's a meaningless discussion
  • cafc999 said:

se9addick said:

cafc999 said:

All speculation
    True, but just because they have always done so in the past, doesn't mean they will do so in the future.

Ok...
  • cafc999 said:

se9addick said:

cafc999 said:

All speculation

For heaven' sake. Why do you think they buy football clubs? Just to give them a cosy feeling. Their ridiculous drink is sold by association with successful high profile sport. They are not philanthropists, they are a business on a mission and they didn't get successful by being shy, still less charitable.

And the FA are not a ruthlessly successful business. That is why I don't share @SE9Addick s optimism that they will stand firm. When did they stand firm on anything. And don't say poppies :-). They will cave in at the merest whiff of the money, aided and abetted by Scudamore, the uber - "marketeer" ( AKA as spiv salesman)
  • Well if it became an option i'd put my hat firmly in the Red Bull corner. Proper investment, we could keep our good youngsters, we'd have a chance of getting back to the premier league, they'd most definitely employ someone who actually knew about football to run the club, we'd have proper scouts and most importantly we'd be rid of those 3 fucking Belgian idiots.

I couldn't care less if other clubs despised us, i want success for my club. Do you think Man City fans give a shit that they're funded by a Sheikh? No, well i don't care if we're funded by an energy drink.

Or would we be a feeder club for RB Leipzig who are finding it easier / quicker / cheaper to get a footing alongside Bayern Munich than it would be to put us on a footing with Man City
    Depends if they're looking at it for now or as a longer term thing. They took over Leipzig 7 years ago when they were in the 5th tier so although their rise has been pretty quick, in terms of actually seeing a return on their investment that's not been 'quick' at all and it's pretty likely with some investment over here that they could get a championship or league one side into the premier league a lot quicker than 7 years.
  • cafc999 said:

se9addick said:

cafc999 said:

All speculation

For heaven' sake. Why do you think they buy football clubs? Just to give them a cosy feeling. Their ridiculous drink is sold by association with successful high profile sport. They are not philanthropists, they are a business on a mission and they didn't get successful by being shy, still less charitable.

And the FA are not a ruthlessly successful business. That is why I don't share @SE9Addick s optimism that they will stand firm. When did they stand firm on anything. And don't say poppies :-). They will cave in at the merest whiff of the money, aided and abetted by Scudamore, the uber - "marketeer" ( AKA as spiv salesman)
    But the FA have stood firm on this issue, more than once;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33483016
  • I wondered who the 2016 zabeel was gonna be.
    Red bull! It won't keep me awake all night.
  • MadGerman said:

Due to DFB rules Red Bull wasn't allowed to call the club Red Bull Leipzig. They made it Rasenballsport Leipzig and cutted it to RB. Anyone knows what RB really is for. So in England they make it Red Boys or something like that.
    The new badge for the club may be the Red Bull sign slightly different from the one on their products.
    So you will get an FA approval.

Red Belgians?
  • Haven't we had enough Bull with the current owners?
  • Well if it became an option i'd put my hat firmly in the Red Bull corner. Proper investment, we could keep our good youngsters, we'd have a chance of getting back to the premier league, they'd most definitely employ someone who actually knew about football to run the club, we'd have proper scouts and most importantly we'd be rid of those 3 fucking Belgian idiots.

I couldn't care less if other clubs despised us, i want success for my club. Do you think Man City fans give a shit that they're funded by a Sheikh? No, well i don't care if we're funded by an energy drink.

Or would we be a feeder club for RB Leipzig who are finding it easier / quicker / cheaper to get a footing alongside Bayern Munich than it would be to put us on a footing with Man City
    Depends if they're looking at it for now or as a longer term thing. They took over Leipzig 7 years ago when they were in the 5th tier so although their rise has been pretty quick, in terms of actually seeing a return on their investment that's not been 'quick' at all and it's pretty likely with some investment over here that they could get a championship or league one side into the premier league a lot quicker than 7 years.
    Except that, notwithstanding the lowly league position, Leipzig were still a very big name, especially in the East. It was a very easy case to make if they wanted maximum publicity, and, with their money, they were almost guaranteed going up through the leagues. The equivalent for the UK would have been if they'd taken over Rangers after they were dropped from the Scottish Premiership.

Frankly, for me, if it happened to us, it'd be the day football dies - not that the current stay in intensive care is much fun.

Mrs Perks would probably say we should be grateful and the club wouldn't exist without it.
    My mate Trig had this old broom...