Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Red Bull (interest in an English club)

Comments

• LuckyReds said:

Interesting that they claim the chap was here on behalf of RB Leipzig, to look at Lookman. I could understand looking at Bauer, but it seems quite rare for a young English player to go straight abroad.. doesn't it?

That would at least suggest that the clubs under Red Bull's control are staffed and scouted correctly.. Unfortunately, I think an acquisition from Red Bull would result in some cringey American-isms and quite a few gimmicks, albeit well funded American-isms and gimmicks!

You realise that Red Bull is Austrian?
    I didn't actually.

As far as their marketing is concerned, and purchasing a football club is going to be part of their marketing strategy, they always seemed very "American". I guess I was trying to say we'd become something of a US-style franchise club.
  • I would gladly take Red Bull as new owners. Probably only scouting Lookman though. Maybe we should bombard them with begging letters!

I'd gladly take you as a new owner....
  • Charlton .. the Red Bulls ... hmmmmmm it DOES have a certain ring to it ((:>)
  • What do people want with a new owner?

Realistically if RD wanted to sell then those buying a shit League One club with a relatively small current profile are going to want to have an angle you would think.

Football in the UK has changed monumentally in the last 15 years or so. It is just not viable outside the PL and at some point in the next 5-10 years I reckon that promotion/relegation from the PL will either be stopped or effectively be made redundant by debtless teams being relegated with ridiculous parachute payments making their promotion back again a near formality unless one of the worlds Multi Billionaires wants to chuck silly money at a Championship club; but I think this billionaire boat will sale soon as they realise it is becoming an ever more impossible dream.

Therefore taking a chance with someone like this who would invest and give us a chance has, IMO, got to be better than several more years of slow death, dwindling attendance, poor football etc under RD until he croaks it and no one else is around to pick up the mantle.

Realistically if RD wanted to sell then those buying a shit League One club with a relatively small current profile are going to want to have an angle you would think.

Football in the UK has changed monumentally in the last 15 years or so. It is just not viable outside the PL and at some point in the next 5-10 years I reckon that promotion/relegation from the PL will either be stopped or effectively be made redundant by debtless teams being relegated with ridiculous parachute payments making their promotion back again a near formality unless one of the worlds Multi Billionaires wants to chuck silly money at a Championship club; but I think this billionaire boat will sale soon as they realise it is becoming an ever more impossible dream.

Therefore taking a chance with someone like this who would invest and give us a chance has, IMO, got to be better than several more years of slow death, dwindling attendance, poor football etc under RD until he croaks it and no one else is around to pick up the mantle.

Pah, sod that, wanting the best available players per tier, best manager per tier, a genuine promotion expectancy and improvement every year until we become a top six side and European football.

I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion re: Red Bull, but the rest of what you said is very articulate and very important.

What do we expect from out next owners? Who will these white knights be? And what will their angle be?

The English game has changed drastically, and I disagree, I actually think the billionaires club is continuing to expand because that pot of gold of the Premier League is still there, I think we're a ways away from those self same people/companies realizing "oh, everyone is really rich this is really hard." But football will get there.

I want us to be well run and sustainable, but I have NO idea how to do that or if it's even feasible in the modern English game.
  • I'd rather Roland ruled us for another 50 years than Red Bull taking us over
  • If you lined up 1) A sack of shit and 2) Charlton Athletic, side by side. Which one would sell first?

Red Bull ludicrous rumour alert!

It's probably gettting to that time of year where the roses are pruned and then manured.

I'll buy the sack of shit please.
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

Are Leipzig so hated over there simply because RB are foreign?

I don't recall similar hatred and protests aimed at Wolfsburg (funded by Volkswagen), Ingolstadt (funded by Audi), Hoffenheim (funded by a german software guy) and Leverkusen (funded by Bayer).

Personally if i was German, i'd have thought any club that could potentially rise up and challenge Bayern Munich was a good thing.

As far as I understand, Hoffenheim are unpopular in Germany.

The others are historic ties to local companies

I am also curious who their 30,000 fans are, since the original Lokomotiv Leipzig, once a frequent competitor in Europe, is still going, and were beaten by Jean last week.

They must be pretty shit these days if even Jean can beat them.
  • I'd rather Roland ruled us for another 50 years than Red Bull taking us over

Bl00dy hell - he'd be 120 years old by then.
    I'd rather slit my wrists and then chew my arm off - anything to get rid of that disease called Duchatelet.
  • Bring on the bulls, anyway CARB would only get 1%
  • Red Bull Valley has a good ring to it.
  • Nah, we'd even Charltonise Red Bull.
  • Redrobo said:

Red Bull Valley has a good ring to it.

The Red Bull Valley?
  • "Valley of The Red Bulls" has a better ring to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seem to be Twitter rumours that it's Swindon...
  • jams said:

Seem to be Twitter rumours that it's Swindon...

Red Bull Swindon !
  • jams said:

To throw us off the scent when someone spots their presence on Saturday.
  • Swindon would be perfect, small club on a massive downward curve, going nowhere who'd likely be grateful for the influx of money, could do with a new stadium, already play in red and white, no other rivals within 30-40 miles
  • Swindon would be perfect, small club on a massive downward curve, going nowhere who'd likely be grateful for the influx of money, could do with a new stadium, already play in red and white, no other rivals within 30-40 miles

And ever since Glen Hoddle slagged us off about 23 years ago I've wished for their demise, hopefully Red Bull's investment will herald that day.

Are they on a downward curve, or drifting around the divisions like they normally do?

The area is a bit of a footballing backwater though
  • Well they've been in administration twice in recent years and i think they almost went bust too.

I meant a downward curve given they were in the top divisions back in the 90s, but forgot they were in league two under Di Canio so yeah i guess they are just lower league drifters.
  • After Leicester Brexit and Trump, I see no reason why this shouldn't happen
  • se9addick said:

jams said:

Red Bull Swindon !
    RBS - maybe bring in Fred the Shred as CEO.
  • Are there many examples of pre-existing stadiums that had their names changed, that we use the sponsored name for? It works on new stadium (The Reebok, The Emirates) but it doesn't really work on a stadium that was named 100 years ago.