Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Red Bull (interest in an English club)

edited November 2016 in General Charlton
Has anyone else seen/heard that Red Bull are looking to buy an English football club and came to watch Charlton last week? Suggest we bombard them with beggin emails pledging to buy half season tickets if they can get the deal done by Christmas!!

Daily Mail headline tonight....

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Charlton sources claim they were only at the Valley to watch Lookman.

Not sure everyone would welcome them with open arms in any case.
  • It can't be any worse.....surely??
  • Charlton Red Bulls
    RB Charlton
  • Charlton sources claim they were only at the Valley to watch Lookman.

Not sure everyone would welcome them with open arms in any case.

Also says club is not for sale.

: - )
  • Interesting that they claim the chap was here on behalf of RB Leipzig, to look at Lookman. I could understand looking at Bauer, but it seems quite rare for a young English player to go straight abroad.. doesn't it?

That would at least suggest that the clubs under Red Bull's control are staffed and scouted correctly.. Unfortunately, I think an acquisition from Red Bull would result in some cringey American-isms and quite a few gimmicks, albeit well funded American-isms and gimmicks!
  • I would gladly take Red Bull as new owners. Probably only scouting Lookman though. Maybe we should bombard them with begging letters!
  • Sponsored links:

• RB Leipzig are probably the up and coming team within world football at the moment. They don't buy established superstars, they just pay big for potential. Considering their position in the Bundesliga currently they are definitely doing something right. Not at all surprised they are watching Lookman, but I'm sure if they are interested they'll come in with a big offer.
  • No way - terrible idea

• Wonder if they would rebrand us as London RB.
  • iamdan said:

LuckyReds said:

Interesting that they claim the chap was here on behalf of RB Leipzig, to look at Lookman. I could understand looking at Bauer, but it seems quite rare for a young English player to go straight abroad.. doesn't it?

That would at least suggest that the clubs under Red Bull's control are staffed and scouted correctly.. Unfortunately, I think an acquisition from Red Bull would result in some cringey American-isms and quite a few gimmicks, albeit well funded American-isms and gimmicks!

I'm sure they bought Oliver Burke from Forest for 10m +.
    They did. And talk of £13m for Reece Oxford as well.
  • Disagree, the way they're doing it at Leipzig looks pretty good
  • Don't beg for Red Bull. Just ask in Salzburg for details. All good players were transferred from Salzburg to Leipzig.
    So for Leipzig Red Bull is the best thing what could have happended. All other teams from the network are not really happy. Here is an example of the way Salzburg deals with fans.
    http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/red-bull-salzburg-aerger-mit-den-fans-wegen-meisterstern-a-1091590.html
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016
    Positives - they'll put plenty of money in, bring in good young players, have footballing ambition and seem to know what they're doing. We'd be financially secure in the way we are now, an owner willing to cover losses.

Negatives
    Expect a name and badge change - as said something like London Red Bulls. We'd become part of another network (but that could be a good thing like it is for Watford).

If we changed our name pro-RD group would be smug after warning others to be careful what they wished for.

Are name changes allowed in English football? Hull weren't allowed to add Tigers to their name.

Could see us being attractive to Red Bull. Based in London, already play in red, fans wanting a change in ownership. Can't imagine them buying a London based Premier League club either.

It's been said anything would be better than RD a but changing our name? Not something I could accept. I've no problem with big money being invested, so many other clubs have done the same.
  • Like many have said, this would be worse that what we already have, which is unthinkable
  • edited November 2016

It will be Red Bull Charlton at best, Red Bull London more likely. Not "RB". RB is a compromise forced on them by the German system. I am not going to support a team called Red Bull. Some of you will just say "give us the money", and will not care that we will be hated by other clubs, as RB Leipzig is - and as increasingly West Ham will be.

I will probably try to develop an affection for AFC Wimbledon, which won't be difficult having met their CEO, but it will just loosen my ties with the place where I came from, and that would be sad.

All that said, half the Championship clubs are up for sale, and I think Red Bull, who are sharp business people, will find better value in those clubs, (e.g Leeds) especially when Duchatelet suggests they pay some silly price for his follies.

I don't think they would be able to change the name to RB London, or anything with London in it. Actually, given the FA's ruling on Hull last year ("Hull Tigers") I doubt they'd be allowed to change the name at all.
  • se9addick said:

It will be Red Bull Charlton at best, Red Bull London more likely. Not "RB". RB is a compromise forced on them by the German system. I am not going to support a team called Red Bull. Some of you will just say "give us the money", and will not care that we will be hated by other clubs, as RB Leipzig is - and as increasingly West Ham will be.

I will probably try to develop an affection for AFC Wimbledon, which won't be difficult having met their CEO, but it will just loosen my ties with the place where I came from, and that would be sad.

All that said, half the Championship clubs are up for sale, and I think Red Bull, who are sharp business people, will find better value in those clubs, (e.g Leeds) especially when Duchatelet suggests they pay some silly price for his follies.

I don't think they would be able to change the name to RB London, or anything with London in it. Actually, given the FA's ruling on Hull last year ("Hull Tigers") I doubt they'd be allowed to change the name at all.
    Moving us to a new ground in Kent they'll argue we are no longer in Charlton and then they can do what they want, and that is what would happen. They would still call us Red Bull London though, I mean RBNY play in New Jersey