Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Red Bull (interest in an English club)

Comments

• It would tie off the worst year of my life quite nicely though... :neutral:
  • I dont like RB Leipzig but if thats where Lookman goes I'd prefer it to be there rather than the U23s of Man City etc.
  • I'd prefer them to this lot.
  • MadGerman said:

Don't beg for Red Bull. Just ask in Salzburg for details. All good players were transferred from Salzburg to Leipzig.
    So for Leipzig Red Bull is the best thing what could have happended. All other teams from the network are not really happy.

That's because there's more money in the Bundesliga than Austria.

However if they bought an English club, with the potential to get to the riches of the premier league, then they'd certainly become a priority amongst their network of clubs.
  • "The RB Leipzig director of sport watched Chelsea, Charlton and Brentford"

Think he's probably wasting his time with Chelsea!
  • The one thing we know for sure is that the Belgians will saddle us with £100m debt and then put us in admin and go.

Anything is better than them.

Let's get the Red Bull deal in the can.
  • Opinions seems pretty split on here. Might be an idea to run a poll on the site to see what people would prefer out of a club owned by RD or RB.
  • Sponsored links:

• The one thing we know for sure is that the Belgians will saddle us with £100m debt and then put us in admin and go.

Anything is better than them.

Let's get the Red Bull deal in the can.

RD won't put us in admin, because the money is owed to himself !
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Opinions seems pretty split on here. Might be an idea to run a poll on the site to see what people would prefer out of a club owned by RD or RB.

No need for a poll. It's not a choice at present. I suspect the current owners are happy for this story to run so it creates these sort of debates.
    But it's relevant wouldn't you agree? One of the arguments made by those less opposed to RD (though not necessarily pro-him) is be careful what you wish for.

Our previous owners were hardly role models for football club owners and there's no guarantee if RD does sell up it won't be out of the frying pan and into the fire as would quite possibly be the case with a company like Red Bull, for example.
  • Red bull would be even worse than duchatalet. I never thought I'd say that. But they would definitely change the name, change the badge and move ground to at best the peninsular. Then, is it really Charlton anymore?

They wouldn't be allowed to change the name.
    Change the badge - possibly but i'd like to think it'd still incorporate most of our current one
    Move ground - why? They didn't move grounds with Salzburg and you can't draw comparisons with Leipzig as they were playing in the regional leagues in front of tiny crowds when RB took over. They might want to rebrand it as the Red bull Valley for example but lots of stadiums have naming rights (Arsenal and Man city for example)
  • Beggars can't be choosers.
  • Red bull would be even worse than duchatalet. I never thought I'd say that. But they would definitely change the name, change the badge and move ground to at best the peninsular. Then, is it really Charlton anymore?

Is that worse than the slow death we have now?
  • Well if it became an option i'd put my hat firmly in the Red Bull corner. Proper investment, we could keep our good youngsters, we'd have a chance of getting back to the premier league, they'd most definitely employ someone who actually knew about football to run the club, we'd have proper scouts and most importantly we'd be rid of those 3 fucking Belgian idiots.

I couldn't care less if other clubs despised us, i want success for my club. Do you think Man City fans give a shit that they're funded by a Sheikh? No, well i don't care if we're funded by an energy drink.
  • Scoham said:

Positives - they'll put plenty of money in, bring in good young players, have footballing ambition and seem to know what they're doing. We'd be financially secure in the way we are now, an owner willing to cover losses.

Negatives
    Expect a name and badge change - as said something like London Red Bulls. We'd become part of another network (but that could be a good thing like it is for Watford).

If we changed our name pro-RD group would be smug after warning others to be careful what they wished for.

Are name changes allowed in English football? Hull weren't allowed to add Tigers to their name.

Could see us being attractive to Red Bull. Based in London, already play in red, fans wanting a change in ownership. Can't imagine them buying a London based Premier League club either.

It's been said anything would be better than RD a but changing our name? Not something I could accept. I've no problem with big money being invested, so many other clubs have done the same.

After the Hull Tigers thing and the backlash from the fans there, it's unlikely they'll be allowed to do it in my opinion. The Charlton fans would be far more vociferous and would find unique ways to get the message across.

There are pros and cons to being owned by Red Bull, I'm sure they would invest properly and want us to succeed, but it would come at a price, and that could mean attempts to somehow remove or change parts of the club we hold sacred, be it the badge, the kit colours or even an attempt to change the name.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well if it became an option i'd put my hat firmly in the Red Bull corner. Proper investment, we could keep our good youngsters, we'd have a chance of getting back to the premier league, they'd most definitely employ someone who actually knew about football to run the club, we'd have proper scouts and most importantly we'd be rid of those 3 fucking Belgian idiots.

I couldn't care less if other clubs despised us, i want success for my club. Do you think Man City fans give a shit that they're funded by a Sheikh? No, well i don't care if we're funded by an energy drink.

Or would we be a feeder club for RB Leipzig who are finding it easier / quicker / cheaper to get a footing alongside Bayern Munich than it would be to put us on a footing with Man City
  • The valley certainly wouldn't be called that for long.
  • Why would they want to by us?

We are, probably, the most disgruntled fan base in world football.

We are in the third division and losing a small fortune every year.

Our squad needs, pretty much, a complete overhaul to be able to compete in the Championship, let alone get into the Premier League.

If you consider how Chelsea and Man City lost, or changed, all of their character and heritage and the fans are ecstatic about what they became, why would you take on Charlton where much of the fan base would protest against you, and some of them would pester your parents in their home, if you bought them outrageous success but didn't so it they they they want you to.

The only people that are likely to want to buy Charlton now are fans or people like Jimenez who, like RD, think they are cleverer than the combined intellect of the whole football world and can get success in ways that no one has ever managed it before, ever!
  • Somebody on here mentioned starting an AFC Charlton. Their idea was quite rightly put down by an intelligent post that said the identity of this club doesn't belong to RD, but to the fans. We still play in red, we still have our name and our logo and we still have our home. While we have that identity we have hope that our club can once again be reinvigorated.

Were Red Bull to take over and set about making the sort of changes that they have done to other teams in the Red Bull football network, and rest assured they will, we will see our identity eroded completely.

I am a Charlton Athletic supporter, not a Red Bull Charlton supporter. Our home is the Valley, not the Red Bull Arena.

If this were to happen then a phoenix club, which retains the true identity of Charlton Athletic, is inevitable. It means far to much to all of us to have it taken away by a string of corporate tyrants.
  • You think they wouldnt sell out the Valley or whatever it would be called if we were top four in the Prem?

Charlton Fans or not it would be full.
  • Somebody on here mentioned starting an AFC Charlton. Their idea was quite rightly put down by an intelligent post that said the identity of this club doesn't belong to RD, but to the fans. We still play in red, we still have our name and our logo and we still have our home. While we have that identity we have hope that our club can once again be reinvigorated.

Were Red Bull to take over and set about making the sort of changes that they have done to other teams in the Red Bull football network, and rest assured they will, we will see our identity eroded completely.

I am a Charlton Athletic supporter, not a Red Bull Charlton supporter. Our home is the Valley, not the Red Bull Arena.

If this were to happen then a phoenix club, which retains the true identity of Charlton Athletic, is inevitable. It means far to much to all of us to have it taken away by a string of corporate tyrants.

An AFC Charlton would have nothing. It would be a tiny nomad club, ground sharing somewhere in front of 500 to 1000 supporters at most
  • se9addick said:

It will be Red Bull Charlton at best, Red Bull London more likely. Not "RB". RB is a compromise forced on them by the German system. I am not going to support a team called Red Bull. Some of you will just say "give us the money", and will not care that we will be hated by other clubs, as RB Leipzig is - and as increasingly West Ham will be.

I will probably try to develop an affection for AFC Wimbledon, which won't be difficult having met their CEO, but it will just loosen my ties with the place where I came from, and that would be sad.

All that said, half the Championship clubs are up for sale, and I think Red Bull, who are sharp business people, will find better value in those clubs, (e.g Leeds) especially when Duchatelet suggests they pay some silly price for his follies.

I don't think they would be able to change the name to RB London, or anything with London in it. Actually, given the FA's ruling on Hull last year ("Hull Tigers") I doubt they'd be allowed to change the name at all.
    Then Red Bull won't buy an English club. End of. There would be no point from their marketing perspective.

Big money can do anything in English football.

• edited November 2016
    Brentford - Championship side with a new 20,000 seater stadium in 2 years time

Or

Charlton - League One side with a 27,000 seater stadium with the majority of fans praying for new owners.

Who would you choose as we stand today?

An AFC Charlton would have nothing. It would be a tiny nomad club, ground sharing somewhere in front of 500 to 1000 supporters at most
    You're telling me that if the a company like Red Bull were to come in, change the clubs name, logo, kit and ground to be unrecognisable from what it is now regular Charlton supporters would continue to support that?