Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marching on together: protests at the Coventry game

Charlton Athletic and Coventry City fans are joining forces to protest against the two clubs’ failing owners by marching together to The Valley on Saturday, October 15th.

News of the organised march is the first announcement to be made regarding a series of protests planned for the League One match.

The Coalition Against Roland Duchâtelet (CARD), which is campaigning for absentee owner Duchâtelet to sell the club after more than 2.5 years of mismanagement, is working with the Fight The Jimmy Hill Way Alliance.

The alliance, which comprises a series of Coventry supporters’ groups including the Sky Blue Trust, PSB and Cov Fans Together, is similarly trying to convince SISU to leave their club.

Fans of both clubs will meet at 2pm outside the Liberal Club, on Charlton Church Lane (just up from Charlton station), and will march to the stadium together at 2.15pm.

A CARD spokesperson said: “We are repeatedly told mistakes have been made, and lessons have been learned, but there is no improvement on or off the pitch, just a string of platitudes and empty promises. Meanwhile, the club is disintegrating.

“Duchâtelet has still not attended a match in England since October 2014 and recently dismissed the club as just 1.5 per cent of his business interests. Chief executive Katrien Meire continues to focus on her personal career agenda. Taken with the recent exposure of the ongoing role of the mysterious and unqualified scout Thomas Driesen, there is ample evidence the Charlton regime has neither the intention nor the capacity to change.

“Against this background it’s hardly a surprise that the team has made its worst start at this level for 90 years.”

Further details of the protest plans at the match will be announced on the day of the game. But following CARD’s recent announcement that it was resuming its full range of matchday protest activities, it has confirmed that the protests will continue inside the stadium.

What’s more, CARD is encouraging supporters to purchase tickets in the lower west stand (please note tickets are cheaper in the end blocks).

A FTJHW Alliance spokesperson added: “The prospect of two sets of rival supporters working together is rare, and we look forward to marching alongside Charlton fans.

“With CARD and the Fight The Jimmy Hill Way Alliance having very similar aims, we hope it will capture the attention of the media, and we need publicity to put pressure on Joy Seppala, Coventry’s owner, to come to the negotiating table and sell our club. Nine years of total mismanagement is enough and it’s time for SISU to go.”

The CARD spokesperson said: “Charlton and Coventry are clubs in crisis and that crisis is caused by their owners. We are stepping up our efforts to remove Duchâtelet, and support Coventry in their efforts.

“With no one in authority prepared to take action against owners that are openly showing contempt towards supporters, fans across the country are joining forces to take action themselves.”

Comments

• best news this season
  • Boycotters - please come to the game.

Your help is vital.

Let's show them that we haven't gone away. Let's start the protests this season with a huge bang. Let's get these bastards out of our club.

Fully agree
  • This is very good news.
  • Whatever it takes
  • I think we should give those jolly nice coves from the Midlands 3 points as well... oh hold on, Brussell is working on that already!
  • this thread should be at the top until 15th october
  • Sponsored links:

• This will be the first game of competitive football match at the Valley in a long while where everything but the result is most important thing to come of the day.

I'll come along, the bigger we can make this the better; Coventry will bring good numbers down.
  • Great news. Great to have Coventry involved.
  • Can't wait for this match :) lots of protests planned on top of what card have planned.

STAND AND FIGHT TOGETHER!

Drop the boycot and get down the valley for thIs match!
  • why is this thread being ignored?
  • no posts for 2 hours on the most important thread of the season and yet people are commenting on team selection against crawley as if that matters.
  • edited October 2016
    Good initiative to work with Coventry fans. I do think it's a pity though that their strap line "Fighting the Jimmy Hill Way" is completely ambiguous, having two potential meanings that are polar opposites.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll be breaking my boycott for this one.
    Hopefully there'll be decent media coverage and the pressure will be ramped up on both sets of scum owners.
  • CARD will be well backed by loyal charlton fans I have no doubt. And going from what I have heard other groups are planning things too.

• This will be my first game back since I started boycotting this season. Looking forward to this.
  • Stig said:

Good initiative to work with Coventry fans. I do think it's a pity though that their strap line "Fighting the Jimmy Hill Way" is completely ambiguous, have two potential meanings that are polar opposites.

I thought that too.
  • Buzzing for this!
  • I'll be helping the Coventry fans out by leading with my chin.

Fighting the Jimmy Hill Way.
  • Don't know if I'll buy a ticket but will definitely be coming down.
  • George and john's sky blue army.

• I will be there, and helping CARD out, for my first visit this season. Hope it's a really lively day. What's the betting they will now block sales in the West Lower.
  • Oh, this needs to be a sticky.