Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• When you suddenly notice Bairstow going 'Oooargh' after every ball, it gets annoying
  • edited November 2016
    Ansari bowls probably the worst over of his career, last ball is a half volley holed out to cover, doesn't even celebrate haha
  • Perhaps next time we should have 2 Tests against India and 5 against Bangladesh
  • I wouldn't be too disheartened if we finish with India 8 down. There just wasn't really the time, and I'd rather concentrate on not losing the first test, rather than a really risky declaration
  • This has been a pretty pathetic batting effort by India
  • The one that bobbled up off Kohli's pad a few overs ago was the chance - it panded perfectly between the two close men. If that had stuck then it might have been VERY close - they've seen it off now though. Good set-up for the rest of the series
  • Very encouraging start. Just a bit worried about the pressure and expectation being heaped on Hameed.
  • Having seen a dismissal in the Australia v SA Test match just concluded I have a question on the Laws Of The Game specifically relating to LBW.

The ball hits the front pad and would have just been missing leg stump. However, it is deflected onto the back pad and that pad has stopped the ball from hitting the stumps. Is this out or does the decision stop on impact of the first pad because, had the ball not made contact with the front pad, it would not have hit the stumps anyway?
  • Having seen a dismissal in the Australia v SA Test match just concluded I have a question on the Laws Of The Game specifically relating to LBW.

The ball hits the front pad and would have just been missing leg stump. However, it is deflected onto the back pad and that pad has stopped the ball from hitting the stumps. Is this out or does the decision stop on impact of the first pad because, had the ball not made contact with the front pad, it would not have hit the stumps anyway?

You can't conclude with a question ; )

But if I were the umpire, I would give it not out. My understanding is that it is the first contact, and any subsequent contact is irrelevant (excluding the glove/bat).
  • Anybody home?

Anderson replaces Woakes.

India bat first and both Anderson and Broad strike early, with two catches by Stokes, leaving India 22-2.

Since then India have recovered and are currently 108-2 from 35 overs.

Kohli and Pujara look as if they are both about to reach their half centuries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rashid drops Kohli off the bowling of Stokes on 56.
  • Bad toss to lose. The Indian spinners will have scoreboard pressure when they bowl, let's see how England cope with them
  • Dog stops play at 210-2. Looking a bit grim (the match situation, not the dog).
  • Got my 15 month old granddaughter staying with me at the moment, so i am now watching masha and the Bear.
    Tbh it's a relief from the cricket
  • I watched half an hours play, got bored, turned it off

What an interesting conundrum - what was the answer ?
  • edited November 2016
    Just finished watching it (recorded). They said it was a vital toss & India won it. The pitch looks flat & slowish, a batsman paradise on day 1.

I thought they'll go at 3.5 per over, so will score 315 by cop. If we did reasonably well, we'd get 4 & if not 3. If poor we'd only get 2.

They were 317-4 at the close, so pretty much as you'd expect.

We'll do very very well to get any sort of result here, batting last.
  • I think the best we can hope for is to get them fairly cheaply tomorrow (and I mean for under 500 being cheap) and then bat into day 4 to finish with a draw again.

Only the first impact matters

Only the first impact counts regarding LBW however if ball hits pad first and then makes contact with bat or glove you can be given out cought
  • Sponsored links:

• Anderson was always going to come straight back in, but I was surprised they dropped Woakes.

I thought they would have gone for a straight swap with Broad, or gone with the extra seamer and left out Ansari
  • Ben18 said:

Anderson was always going to come straight back in, but I was surprised they dropped Woakes.

I thought they would have gone for a straight swap with Broad, or gone with the extra seamer and left out Ansari

From what I heard on the radio, Broad had a foot problem coming into the match, so it was strange to rest/drop Woakes and not him
  • https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/nov/11/stuart-broad-england-underrated-best-big-time-bowler

Talking of Broad, this is a very good piece on him. I hadn't realised his recent record was so good, or that he's been more successful against the big countries than Jimmy Anderson
  • India 415-7 at lunch.
  • Ducket's technique against spin is absolutely shocking.
    Gonna be a big ask now to avoid the follow on
  • England folding faster than Superman on laundry day
  • Keep the faith we haven't lost yet and we do bat down the order
  • This isn't going to end well for England. They'll do well to only lose a couple more by close of play.
  • edited November 2016
    Bugger. Root out.