Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• got to be Cook, Hameed, Root, Bairstow, Ali, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Anderson for the next test ...
    up in the north so should be better for the quicks and less of a spinners paradise though still hot ..

(remember the Indian flag has a spinning wheel in the centre) ((:>)

It's not being played in Headingley!

Moeen at 5 just seems too high, has a cricketer had so many batting positions as he has! If Buttler is being played purely as a batsman, he needs to be above Bairstow really, imagine keeping for 8 hours then coming out to bat at 4, that's a tough call.

The trouble is, we have no natural no 4s in our team, but a surplus of no 6s and 7s.
    very droll ..
    Mohali .. Average temperatures

Summer: The temperature in summer may rise to a maximum of 47 °C (117 °F) @2014. Temperatures generally remain between 30 and 40 °C (86 and 104 °F).
    Autumn: In autumn, the temperature may rise to a maximum of 36 °C (97 °F). Temperatures usually remain between 16 and 27 °C (61 and 81 °F) in autumn. The minimum temperature is around 13 °C (55 °F).
    Winter: Average temperatures in winter (November to February) remain at (maximum) 7 to 15 °C (45 to 59 °F) and (minimum) 1 and 5 °C (34 and 41 °F).
    Spring: spring temperatures vary between (min) 16 and 25 °C (61 and 77 °F) (max).

When does winter start there? I can't imagine they'd be playing when the temperatures are 7 to 15 during the daytime, as that would give a massive benefit to the English players from Yorkshire and Durham who are used to playing in conditions like that!
  • got to be Cook, Hameed, Root, Bairstow, Ali, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Anderson for the next test ...
    up in the north so should be better for the quicks and less of a spinners paradise though still hot ..

Moeen at 5 just seems too high, has a cricketer had so many batting positions as he has! If Buttler is being played purely as a batsman, he needs to be above Bairstow really, imagine keeping for 8 hours then coming out to bat at 4, that's a tough call.

The trouble is, we have no natural no 4s in our team, but a surplus of no 6s and 7s.
    very droll ..

Summer: The temperature in summer may rise to a maximum of 47 °C (117 °F) @2014. Temperatures generally remain between 30 and 40 °C (86 and 104 °F).
    Autumn: In autumn, the temperature may rise to a maximum of 36 °C (97 °F). Temperatures usually remain between 16 and 27 °C (61 and 81 °F) in autumn. The minimum temperature is around 13 °C (55 °F).
    Winter: Average temperatures in winter (November to February) remain at (maximum) 7 to 15 °C (45 to 59 °F) and (minimum) 1 and 5 °C (34 and 41 °F).
    Spring: spring temperatures vary between (min) 16 and 25 °C (61 and 77 °F) (max).

When does winter start there? I can't imagine they'd be playing when the temperatures are 7 to 15 during the daytime, as that would give a massive benefit to the English players from Yorkshire and Durham who are used to playing in conditions like that!
    Geography lesson time lol .. India like the UK is in the Northern hemisphere, same seasons as us .. and the difference in winter temps between north and south India is extreme .. bit like between north Sweden and south Spain .. anyway 15 degrees K is like a mild to cool summer English day

I have been to North India up near the Himalayas and it can get VERY cold .. so if you're going, pack a woolie ((:>)
  • edited November 2016

got to be Cook, Hameed, Root, Bairstow, Ali, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Anderson for the next test ...

very droll ..

Geography lesson time lol .. India like the UK is in the Northern hemisphere, same seasons as us .. and the difference in winter temps between north and south India is extreme .. bit like between north Sweden and south Spain .. anyway 15 degrees K is like a mild to cool summer English day

I have been to North India up near the Himalayas and it can get VERY cold .. so if you're going, pack a woolie ((:>)
    Did someone take you up the Khyber Pass :smile:

I know India is in the Northern Hemisphere (!), but was wondering when specifically autumn changes to winter. As it happens, I checked the weather forecast and tomorrow is 28 degrees C, so it won't be like Headingley in May!

very droll ..

I know India is in the Northern Hemisphere (!), but was wondering when specifically autumn changes to winter. As it happens, I checked the weather forecast and tomorrow is 28 degrees C, so it won't be like Headingley in May!
    now you're showing your ignorance .. the Khyber is a pass between Afghanistan and Pakistan and is not as wide as your mouth ((:>)
  • I thought it was a carry on film
  • I thought it was a carry on film

lol .. one of my favourite lines was in that old Carry On .. the punchline concerned 'fakir/snake charmer' Lance Percival when Barbara and Sid asked for his help .. 'you haven't said the magic words' said Lance .. Babs Windsor .. 'you'll be well paid' .. Percival .. 'they are the magic words' .. I'm sure you'd'a had to have seen it to appreciate it
  • I would stick Buttler in at 4. Don't disrupt the others, and give him the chance.

very droll ..

now you're showing your ignorance .. the Khyber is a pass between Afghanistan and Pakistan and is not as wide as your mouth ((:>)
    I knew it was in a different part of the Indian subcontinent, but there was no other innuendo available!

Agree with your team mate - both Duckett and Ansari have done their best, but it is'nt happening for either of them.

Butler in to keep wicket, but batting at 7 should mean that there isn't as much pressure on him to score top-order runs.

We need a quality top order player, and as Ballance and Duckett have both tried and failed, then Bairstow is the obvious choice to play as a pure number four, and forget about the keeping - we need his runs.

Woakes comes back in for Ansari, yes we are down a spinner, but is Ansari really that much better than Joe Root as a 3rd spinner?

Stuart Broad is a deceptively tough bugger, and I would be amazed if he didn't make it for the next test.

Agree with your team mate - both Duckett and Ansari have done their best, but it is'nt happening for either of them.

Butler in to keep wicket, but batting at 7 should mean that there isn't as much pressure on him to score top-order runs.

We need a quality top order player, and as Ballance and Duckett have both tried and failed, then Bairstow is the obvious choice to play as a pure number four, and forget about the keeping - we need his runs.

Woakes comes back in for Ansari, yes we are down a spinner, but is Ansari really that much better than Joe Root as a 3rd spinner?

Stuart Broad is a deceptively tough bugger, and I would be amazed if he didn't make it for the next test.

I agree wholeheartedly with you but, as much as I have been a critic of Bairstow's keeping in the past, he has definitely improved during the course of this and the series against Bangladesh. For that reason, plus the facts that Bairstow doesn't want to relinquish the gloves and Buttler has played no games whatsoever I think he will remain keeper.

However, I do think Buttler will come in and bat at 7 with Moeen moving up to 4, Stokes to 5 and Bairstow to 6. I think they will leave Ansari out and bring Woakes back for him with Finn coming in for Broad if he isn't fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure that I'd trust Finn on these surfaces, but if Broad is unfit, and Woakes comes in for Ansari then I suppose we are limited in our choices.

It is so frustrating, as if we still had Monty Panesar available (which we should), then due to our surfeit of all rounders we could accomodate him in the team.

He was brilliant in India last time, taking 16 wickets in three tests, and generally giving us the kind of control and consistency that we would kill for from our current slow bowlers.

With a quality spinner and say the Ian Bell of 2013 batting at four, we would have a seriously useful and well balanced side.
  • Monty Panesar? I don't think so.
  • Not sure that I'd trust Finn on these surfaces, but if Broad is unfit, and Woakes comes in for Ansari then I suppose we are limited in our choices.

It is so frustrating, as if we still had Monty Panesar available (which we should), then due to our surfeit of all rounders we could accomodate him in the team.

He was brilliant in India last time, taking 16 wickets in three tests, and generally giving us the kind of control and consistency that we would kill for from our current slow bowlers.

With a quality spinner and say the Ian Bell of 2013 batting at four, we would have a seriously useful and well balanced side.

A spinner who can tie down an end would be an excellent asset to this team, especially a left arm one. Ansari I'm sure has only been picked over Batty due to being a SLA bowler, rather than another off spinner

I'd be interested in why you have a downer on Monty?

Streets ahead of our current spinners, though I don't deny that he is currently unelectable.

In terms of age though, he is probably 5/6 years younger than Herath, who is still wheeling away for SL.

I'd be interested in why you have a downer on Monty?

Streets ahead of our current spinners, though I don't deny that he is currently unelectable.

In terms of age though, he is probably 5/6 years younger than Herath, who is still wheeling away for SL.
    Monty last played a county game of any description in July - since then he has been playing for Lashings. I'm afraid that boat has long since sailed.
  • edited November 2016
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38101943

Buttler replaces Duckett, and will bat at 7. Moeen at 4 (yet another batting position he's filled), Bairstow at 5

Broad out injured so Woakes comes in. Ansari out, the pitch from what I hear is really dry and cracked, so I expect Batty to come in, rather than a seamer.

This is what the pitch looks like 2 days before the match starts...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38097032
  • Is Buttler keeping? Bairstow or Moeen at 4?

If it's Moeen, how many different positions in the line-up must he have had? Must be at least 7.

If it's Moeen, how many different positions in the line-up must he have had? Must be at least 7.

Buttler is playing as a batsman, they want to give him freedom to play his "natural" game (that's what I heard)

I believe that Moeen will be 4 and Bairstow will keep.
  • It said on sky sports Buttler playing at seven Bairstow at four or five which i think is good.
    But personally I think Buttler is a better keeper and as he's batting down at seven I would give him the gloves
  • Sponsored links:

• Really hope it isn't Finn who comes in to replace Broad. Both Ball and Batty are better options. Which is a shame as when Finn first came on the scene he was fantastic.
    Just seems as if since he had to change his run up because of the issue with the stumps he hasn't been the same bowler.
  • Really hope it isn't Finn who comes in to replace Broad. Both Ball and Batty are better options. Which is a shame as when Finn first came on the scene he was fantastic.
    Just seems as if since he had to change his run up because of the issue with the stumps he hasn't been the same bowler.

It's Woakes.

It's Woakes.
    Still one more bowler slot as Ansari is out. I'd go Batty or Ball..
  • Personally I don't think Buttler should even be on the tour. One first class game in over a year.

Foakes should be back up keeper and we should have picked a proper batsman from the championship who plays regularly scores well and has and solid technique. Jennings maybe...

That the selectors didn't consider the number of left and right handed batsman for a tour to the subcontinent is crazy.
  • Gubbins is more likely to be Cook's long-term successor than Jennings imo
  • Picking Ballance was a waste of a place, but you feel sorry for him as well. Dumped after the Bangladesh leg and completely out of favour, but with no chance to spend time in the middle to get some form back.
  • Picking Ballance was a waste of a place, but you feel sorry for him as well. Dumped after the Bangladesh leg and completely out of favour, but with no chance to spend time in the middle to get some form back.

It would take more than a few games for Ballance to sort himself out. In fact, when he was dropped last time the idea was for him to go away and sort his technique out but he failed to do so. And that is the difference between him and say both Root and Bairstow who did do so.
  • Meantime, back at the 3rd Test England won the toss and have wasted that opportunity as they are currently 88-4.

Apart from Haseeb, who got a brute of a ball, all three of Cook, Root and Moeen were out playing poor shots.
  • Butler on his day is a fantastic talent.
    When fit i would include him in any England squad