Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Conte gone, confirmed 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Surely Spurs have to at least try for Nagelsmann? 
    Early favourite.

I could see Pochettino going back though, probably suits both.
  • Why has it taken Levy over a week since their last game to bloody do it?

Unless he thinks he can get Nagelsmann who has only just left Bayern.
  • Why has it taken Levy over a week since their last game to bloody do it?

Unless he thinks he can get Nagelsmann who has only just left Bayern.

I suspect that Levy was negotiating with Conte's representatives his severance pay. He might not have long left on his contract but I can't help thinking that Levy would use Conte's outburst as leverage to limit the pay out. 

I'm sure Spurs fans would love Pochettino back. He was sacked but has anything changed so far as the lack of financial backing he received when there before? The squad needs a bit of a shake up and will Levy back him to do that? Will he want assurances that Kane is staying? Or will he just be happy to be back somewhere he loved? Perhaps @j@JohnBoyUK can answer those questions. 
  • Conte gone, confirmed 
    Cue Sandgaard offering up Deano....
  • Let’s not forget Poch managed to not win Ligue 1 with PSG…
  • edited March 2023
    Something to add, Paratici's future is in the balance.  We'll find out soon whether his ban from Italy is Europe/Worldwide (if you havent seen it, he is involved in the mess as Juventus!)

It wouldnt surprise me if he goes today too tbh.

Whoever is doing the hiring, they need to move quickly.  They cant have another drawn out process like last time when they waited and waited and then ended up with Nuno.

Although Poch & Nagelsmann are neck and neck on the BBC poll, Poch is clear front runner on the main Spurs forum poll.

EDIT > its just dawned on me too that Stellini and Mason are in charge until the end of the season.  Presumably that means Stellini and the rest of the Italian backroom team see out their contract until the end of the season, limiting the payout.  Levy gonna Levy.

What an absolute circus.

• I'm so jealous of the Circus at Spurs with their terrible season where they might miss out on the champions League in the Premier and have to suffer the shame of 5th.

CAFC fans have had Clowns for eons and custard pies in their faces. In fact a few have gone in for "Cock in the custard" for some light relief when we beat Morecambe away.

These are the good old days for Spurs fans after Harry Kane moves on to a trophy wonderland at the end of this season.

• Wonder if Spurs will look at Ruben Amorim from Sporting as an option. Seems to be very highly thought of. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Wonder if Spurs will look at Ruben Amorim from Sporting as an option. Seems to be very highly thought of. 
    has to be a candidate, especially with Porro now at Spurs.
    The Porto Manager Sérgio Conceição also under consideration from what I've been told.
  • edited March 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
     Levy wants a 'project manager' rather than a proven winner.  He's scratched that itch twice and it hasnt worked.  We've had more 'success' with project managers.

Hi @JohnBoyUK 

Do you feel Levy has really backed the "proven winners", with players they have actually wanted?

Or, have they had talented, but work-in-progress, type players foisted on them? 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wonder if Spurs will look at Ruben Amorim from Sporting as an option. Seems to be very highly thought of. 
    The Porto Manager Sérgio Conceição also under consideration from what I've been told.
    I've just been out with a pal and his spurs supporting boss and the boss reckons there is quite an interest in Carrick but they wont pay through the roof to get him if he goes up with boro.

the guy is the highest level season ticket holder/member and has been for years so that's definitely a conversation that's happened somewhere but not necessarily Infront of him
  • Stefco said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
     Levy wants a 'project manager' rather than a proven winner.  He's scratched that itch twice and it hasnt worked.  We've had more 'success' with project managers.

Hi @JohnBoyUK 

Do you feel Levy has really backed the "proven winners", with players they have actually wanted?

Harry Redknapp wanted Carlos Tevez and Gary Cahill.  Levy gave him the poundshop versions in Louis Saha and Ryan Nelson.
    Poch wanted Bruno Fernandes and was given Gio Lo Celso.  He also wanted Ndombele and got him.
    Jose wanted a CB, like Kim Min-Jae (now at Napoli tearing up trees) and was given Joe Rodon.
    Conte wanted Bastoni and/or Bremer and ended up with Clement Lenglet on loan.  But he got Porro, Richarlison and Perisic (all players that he seemingly wanted).

So no mainly but Conte was backed more than the others although not getting CBs in eventually killed him.

Since Levy and ENIC took over, the club had always looked to buy players to develop them and make them better.  The likes of Pape Mate-Sarr, Destiny Udogie (you likely wont have heard of him but he was bought and kept out on loan at Udinese), Bryan Gil and Spence all fall into that category.  Jose and Conte were never going to do that and were the wrong fit.  Spurs had most success when they had Paul Mitchell running the recruitment side.  He left when Levy interfered too much.  The recruitment went downhill once Mitchell left and Steve Hitchin took over.

To be fair to Paratici, the younger players he has brought in to the club look decent but PL winnings/top 4/top 6 decent, time will tell.  I said a while back (maybe not on here), if we were going to persist with this brain numbing 3-4-3, I wanted Sarr and Skipp in CM, and Hojberg left on the bench.

• JohnBoyUK said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I've just been out with a pal and his spurs supporting boss and the boss reckons there is quite an interest in Carrick but they wont pay through the roof to get him if he goes up with boro.

the guy is the highest level season ticket holder/member and has been for years so that's definitely a conversation that's happened somewhere but not necessarily Infront of him

Have to say, I'd be surprised if Carrick is a front runner.  That's not to say he hasn't done a good job at 'Boro.  But then again, does anything surprise me any more?
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Carrick's a dilemma .. done well at Boro as I thought he would, BUT the track record of youngish English managers at the top table is not good, e.g. Potter (to an extent) and Lampard, throw in Parker as well .. Prem owners in the top echelon will 999/1000 opt for a proven name and that almost  invariably means buying foreign
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Stefco said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Hi @JohnBoyUK 

Harry Redknapp wanted Carlos Tevez and Gary Cahill.  Levy gave him the poundshop versions in Louis Saha and Ryan Nelson.
    Poch wanted Bruno Fernandes and was given Gio Lo Celso.  He also wanted Ndombele and got him.
    Jose wanted a CB, like Kim Min-Jae (now at Napoli tearing up trees) and was given Joe Rodon.
    Conte wanted Bastoni and/or Bremer and ended up with Clement Lenglet on loan.  But he got Porro, Richarlison and Perisic (all players that he seemingly wanted).

So no mainly but Conte was backed more than the others although not getting CBs in eventually killed him.

Since Levy and ENIC took over, the club had always looked to buy players to develop them and make them better.  The likes of Pape Mate-Sarr, Destiny Udogie (you likely wont have heard of him but he was bought and kept out on loan at Udinese), Bryan Gil and Spence all fall into that category.  Jose and Conte were never going to do that and were the wrong fit.  Spurs had most success when they had Paul Mitchell running the recruitment side.  He left when Levy interfered too much.  The recruitment went downhill once Mitchell left and Steve Hitchin took over.

To be fair to Paratici, the younger players he has brought in to the club look decent but PL winnings/top 4/top 6 decent, time will tell.  I said a while back (maybe not on here), if we were going to persist with this brain numbing 3-4-3, I wanted Sarr and Skipp in CM, and Hojberg left on the bench.

Spurs have actually spent a fair bit of money, a net spend of over 300m in the last 4 years. They just haven't spent it very well at all.

Too many flops, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Gil, Royal. And this year Spence, Bissouma and Richarlison cost about 90m and haven't really done anything.

Romero, Bentancur and Kulusevski probably the only standout signings (there might be more but none spring to mind) so if you're only getting 3 signings right in 4 years you've got a big problem somewhere.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Stefco said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Hi @JohnBoyUK 

Spurs have actually spent a fair bit of money, a net spend of over 300m in the last 4 years. They just haven't spent it very well at all.

Too many flops, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Gil, Royal. And this year Spence, Bissouma and Richarlison cost about 90m and haven't really done anything.

Romero, Bentancur and Kulusevski probably the only standout signings (there might be more but none spring to mind) so if you're only getting 3 signings right in 4 years you've got a big problem somewhere.
    Make you absolutely right.

And another thing everyone seems to not mention. That net spend has been so high because we've lost the ability to offload our transfer disasters.  Bergwyn is the only one we made a small profit on.  The rest are all out loan because we want too much money or the rest of Europe is skint.  See Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguillon, Rodon, Winks and Gil for proof.
  • Rochdale Football Club can confirm that it has parted company with First Team Manager Jim Bentley.

Assistant Manager Nick Chadwick will also depart the club.

Jim McNulty will take interim charge of the team until the end of the season, starting with Saturday’s game at AFC Wimbledon.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/march/clubstatementjimbentley_270323/

• JohnBoyUK said:
    Something to add, Paratici's future is in the balance.  We'll find out soon whether his ban from Italy is Europe/Worldwide (if you havent seen it, he is involved in the mess as Juventus!)

It wouldnt surprise me if he goes today too tbh.

Whoever is doing the hiring, they need to move quickly.  They cant have another drawn out process like last time when they waited and waited and then ended up with Nuno.

Although Poch & Nagelsmann are neck and neck on the BBC poll, Poch is clear front runner on the main Spurs forum poll.

EDIT > its just dawned on me too that Stellini and Mason are in charge until the end of the season.  Presumably that means Stellini and the rest of the Italian backroom team see out their contract until the end of the season, limiting the payout.  Levy gonna Levy.

What an absolute circus.

Well, just for the completeness of the thread... it has been confirmed today by FIFA that Paratici's ban is active worldwide for 30 months.  So that's him gone too presumably.  Bizarrely, Spurs' social media posted a video of him talking about his search for the next manager.  Can a laughing stock possibly become more of a laughing stock?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yaxley’s 21 year old manager left by mutual consent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65098285
  • I know it's the Mail so a pinch of salt but Ruben Amorim has ruled himself out of the Spurs job because he doesn't like Daniel Levy. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I know it's the Mail so a pinch of salt but Ruben Amorim has ruled himself out of the Spurs job because he doesn't like Daniel Levy. 
    good, let it all come crashing down around him.  Nice to see the media is turning on him at last.
  • I have also ruled myself out.
    I lived in Philip Lane as a student and didn’t fall in love with the district, mainly because Seven Sisters Station is not conveniently located.
  • Brendan Rogers has left Leicester by mutual agreement. 
    Not a surprise, they're massively underachieving. They desperately need a short term boost, if Warnock hadn't gone to Huddersfield, he would have been perfect!
  • Felt like he maybe stayed a season too long? That squad was always going to decline and their big money signings recently haven't panned out at all.

Could see Rodgers at West Ham. 
  • Bad timing though. Palace made their change during the international break which made more sense
    Not a surprise, they're massively underachieving. They desperately need a short term boost, if Warnock hadn't gone to Huddersfield, he would have been perfect!
    Only 4 years premier league experience.
    relegated in 3 of those, sacked with team heading for relegation in other.
  • edited April 2023
    Brendan Rogers has left Leicester by mutual agreement. 
    he seems to have proverbially 'lost the dressing room' .. Leicester have decent players and should not be anywhere near the relegation zone