Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Business critical question - need help before 5.20pm if possible please

Comments

• Options
    I used to work in a leisure centre as a lifeguard and one bloke stank. It's hot and sweaty working on the poolside, but someone had to tell him to wash both himself and his clothes. Luckily one morning I was going to tell him, but he opened his locker and found 4 dead mice in his trainers. I just added 'I wondered what that smell was'
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I work in a company of 8 people. We took someone on this week who has very bad body odour. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt given the weather, however the smell persists and the women in the office are now complaining.

I'm the c*** that drew the short straw and have to tell him. How do I do this in the most professional way. He seems like a nice guy, there is no alterior motive, he just smells

Please could anyone put forward any sensible advice here, preferably prior to 5.20 when I plan to sit down with him

Thanks in advance

just seen this thread.

I had to approach this with a Female member of staff a few years back.

Meeting room was booked, as was the member of HR to join me, and I briefed HR lady about what had to be discussed.

I then had a convenient ''family emergency'' half an hour before the meeting and the HR lady and a colleague had to take it up with her.

Sadly I did have to lead the follow up meeting when things hadn't changed.

I had to question her diet, lifestyle outside of work and even whether she had been using a fragranced toothpaste and soap since the last meeting...

We had it confirmed that these were all acceptable challenges if it were disrupting the workplace and was not a medical condition.

She cried a lot.

Luckily she was caught nicking brand new computer mice from the IT cupboard a few days later so we let her go.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

I work in a company of 8 people. We took someone on this week who has very bad body odour. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt given the weather, however the smell persists and the women in the office are now complaining.

I'm the c*** that drew the short straw and have to tell him. How do I do this in the most professional way. He seems like a nice guy, there is no alterior motive, he just smells

Please could anyone put forward any sensible advice here, preferably prior to 5.20 when I plan to sit down with him

Thanks in advance

just seen this thread.

I had to approach this with a Female member of staff a few years back.

Meeting room was booked, as was the member of HR to join me, and I briefed HR lady about what had to be discussed.

I then had a convenient ''family emergency'' half an hour before the meeting and the HR lady and a colleague had to take it up with her.

Sadly I did have to lead the follow up meeting when things hadn't changed.

I had to question her diet, lifestyle outside of work and even whether she had been using a fragranced toothpaste and soap since the last meeting...

We had it confirmed that these were all acceptable challenges if it were disrupting the workplace and was not a medical condition.

She cried a lot.

Luckily she was caught nicking brand new computer mice from the IT cupboard a few days later so we let her go.

very convenient I must say..........

I had to address this issue with a workmate back in the eighties. I was working in a high street bank & only left school the year before so was still only a teenager when a new lad started who had a rather bad case of BO. He was a nice lad, about my age and we worked together in the back office - and were the only blokes in a dept of about 8 women. The girls said as we were mates & about the same age it was up to me to tell him of his BO .

Didn't know how to confront him about it, so as we often walked to the station together on the way home I decided one evening to pop into the local chemist, telling him I had to buy a few essentials. Only thing I could come up with was to ask him his opinion of the various deodorants on offer & turning to him asking "which ones do you use,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

about the best I could do I'm afraid but thought it not bad for a not-so-worldly-wise 17 year old still going through puberty himself !! He never said anything but although he didn't come in smelling of roses from then on, his BO did recede.
  • Options
    Phew!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Just spent half an hour catching up on this brilliant thread and what timing!

Well done cabbles, glad to see you grew a pair...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Well done cabbies, not an easy thing to do.
    Let's hope he comes in tomo smelling superb! :wink:
  • Options
    cabbles said:

FFS - the smell (apparently) still persists and I just bit the bullet and told him. He looked genuinely shocked. I mumbled something about a medical condition and is it something we should know about etc. He just looked at me with some sort of death stare

The most awkward thing I've ever had to do

What a shitter

I hope you don't get a text from Beachy head saying why he won't be in tomorrow.
  • Options
    He's just printing this page from the company charter. I can feel an employment tribunal coming on.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

FFS - the smell (apparently) still persists and I just bit the bullet and told him. He looked genuinely shocked. I mumbled something about a medical condition and is it something we should know about etc. He just looked at me with some sort of death stare

What a shitter

How could you stoop so low and do this?

How must he be feeling sitting at home now?

:wink:
  • Options

cabbles said:

What a shitter

The thing is, I feel awful. I could feel the mood dip as soon as I told him. He was obviously completely unaware.

Be interesting to see if he comes back 2mo. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't
  • Options
    Ahhhhhh but here it gets tough---- what if he comes back and he still smells ?
  • Options
    What if he comes back and you can't breath for deodorant?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016

Ahhhhhh but here it gets tough---- what if he comes back and he still smells ?

Only one thing for it, take it that he is infact a dirty smelly gooner and get the petrol out incinerate the clothes whilst he wears them

You ain't asked for a burning In ages buddy
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

What a shitter

The thing is, I feel awful. I could feel the mood dip as soon as I told him. He was obviously completely unaware.

Don't feel awful. If people are blissfully unaware of personal hygiene issues then it needs bringing to their attention. I certainly don't buy in to him being unaware. You've done him a favour.

If it's a medical condition then he should have told you from the off - and of course he would know about the stench he emits. To make others suffer from it is unfair - medical issue or not.

If he doesn't come back then so be it. Not your fault if he doesn't. You've done the right thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    cabbles said:

As awful as it is, it's the best thing for them and the rest of the workforce. Doesn't make it any easier, I get that.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

What a shitter

Don't feel bad, if he genuinely was unaware then this is exactly the reason why he had to be told.

I don't see how he can be unaware though. If other people who sit near him can smell him, how can he not smell it himself?
  • Options
    Just kill any awkwardness this morning Cabbles. You've done the difficult part. His ego is probably a bit bruised, you're probably still a bit embarrassed. When time allows ask him if he wants to grab a coffee or a bit of lunch and get talking. It'll soon be forgotten.
  • Options
    Has he come if today? The suspense is killing me.
  • Options
    He's claiming for constructive dismissal.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Updates required cobbles

Cobbles ffs - no respect, no respect I tell you

In today. No smell as of yet. Seems to be all okay at the moment. There was an awkward moment when it was just both of us in the room, but that should get easier as time passes