Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Slade getting narky in post match interview

Comments

• Wait when did we hear Louis was a Palace fan cos I now feel slightly violated and not in a good way
  • Swisdom said:

Fumbluff said:

Swisdom said:

Off_it said:

But not until he's finished work on the training ground.

Jesus this is getting tedious. What the fuck has that got to do with anything. Some fans get the arse with the gaffer and I don't agree with it so lets just bring up the fact that my company are working on the training ground. Fucking grow up
    Hope you don't use that kind of language when you're at work.
    Unless you're having a crafty tab with Roger at tea break :wink:
    I'm personally not working on it - I hide behind a desk and swear to my hearts content. (to be clear that's not code for "I sit here sucking Roland's dick and defending him" as some twat might like to insinuate)

Lol. You need to calm down mate.

You and work on the training ground is as synonymous to me as NLA and an undercover drugs raid, Lookie filing another set of moody company accounts in his Bermuda Shotts or AFKA in a Pampers factory (testing them out). Don't take it too seriously.

• PaddyP17 said:

Wait when did we hear Louis was a Palace fan cos I now feel slightly violated and not in a good way

I'm not, it's a running joke because I covered Palace at Wembley
  • Sad times. I've tried to be positive and really liked what I was hearing from slade at the start. I've seen him be narky twice now with louis and this time it was cringe worthy. I have chatted with Louis and know him to be a witty knowledgeable and passionate fan and journo. Slades reaction appears to be one of someone who is totally rattled for some reason. Is this because of the situation the squad is in? Bad results? Combined with louis asking searching questions. Bit of all of this with Slade being moody. I haven't ever seen this from a CAFC manager and I include pardew in that. I don't like it much and neither do most of our fans. All i want is someone to get behind who we can hnite with at this club and so far Russell and it. sad times.
  • Actually Frei was moody. But he doesn't really count
  • seth plum said:

Rob said:

I don't think he sounded too bad. I read this thread first and was expecting far worse. Yes, he appeared a bit frustrated with some of the questions but that is understandable when you're trying to put a positive spin on things. He said it's a 'process' and about 'stability' and it really is. The last thing we need now is more change.

I don't know where our club is going but the constant fan negativity (yes, Louis is a fan) will not help the team on the pitch. I'm sure he senses that and it was probably the reason for some of his 'snappy' responses. He knows what is going on in the dressing room and how it affects his players. It's his job to keep them positive.

There's a fine line between protesting to get the regime out and doing it in such a way that it doesn't affect the players on the pitch. And that's the difficult bit.

How can players be detached from events when everybody is supposed to be in it together?
    Same way the Government says we are in it together then attacks the poor and gives to the rich
  • LouisMend said:

PaddyP17 said:

Wait when did we hear Louis was a Palace fan cos I now feel slightly violated and not in a good way

You have no idea how close I was to writing a strongly-worded letter.

Phew.
  • Only just watched the video of the post match stuff.
    Really disappointed with Slade. Should not have dug out Louis the way he did. If there are issues then sort them out internally and have a reciprocal degree of civility with the interviewer. It was especially narky and sarcastic, and indeed inadequate, when he fielded the Johnson question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing in this at all. I really think people are looking for things that aren't there.
    Alex Ferguson done this in every interview win or lose. Bloke was making a bloody stupid point and he got a very gentle slap.
  • Agreed. Riga is a gent and a very decent manager to boot. I would have liked us to stick by him
  • Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

LouisMend said:

Provoke a reaction?

I said that some deals have taken longer than you've hoped but it's not a problem is it?

Expecting an answer along the lines to explain that it isn't a problem and to reassure fans rather than take it out on me.

Look, nobody comes out of this looking great but I won't have you accusing me of trying to provoke a reaction.

For me the bit that's gone pear shaped here is the fans reaction - it's being made out to be something more than it actually is.
    Yep, all the fans fault again! None of it is any of our business is it?
    You don't think this is being blown out of all proportion?
    LoOkOuT said:

@Swisdom Wouldn't the point of any question be to provoke a reaction??? I think you're being unfair in suggesting that Louis is attempting to provoke a negative reaction. I don't think there's anything in his tone or line of questioning that suggests that.

Frankly, I'm surprised you're bothering with all this when clearly you could be living it up this week in Rio! With your ability to bend, twist, flip, flop and contort on behalf of Roland's Regime, you'd have to be in with more than a chance at a gymnastics gold.

;-)

I'm actually one of those who started the season with some hope and expectation. One last chance and all that. But the lack of signings and 2 utter dogshit performances recently is eating away at that very rapidly.
    Not massively no. It's understandable really seeing what's gone on in the last 2 years. A reporter asked a legitimate question that is fundamental as to whether we will be competitive this year or not. Most fans want to hear it and Slade acted like a cock! He knows the score regarding fans vs owners and if he doesn't he's a fool. Done himself no favours and ramped up the pressure on himself and pissed off many fans, not you obviously but I wouldn't expect anything else really.
    I genuinely wonder how much he does know and understand. This isn't necessarily a knock on him, sometimes ignorance is bliss. But I think someone with a better understanding of the situation, or at least a better emotional intelligence, would come in here humble, telling the fans things are going to be different and to ask for time and patience when things don't go to plan.

Again, transfers taking longer than expected happens all the time, and before he got snarky with Louis he made a perfectly reasonable point to that effect. But I've not really seen or heard much from him about trying to mend fences and promising the fans better. There was some about it when he was announced as manager, but not loads. I know he can't say "this SMT lot are shit," but I think there are a lot of things he can say, about last year being disappointing and about being here to do better by the supporters, etc. that I haven't heard*.

*Because I find just about every press conference given by a manager to be full of cliches, I tend to tune them out. So if he has said things to this effect, then I apologize.
  • masicat said:

Nothing in this at all. I really think people are looking for things that aren't there.
    Alex Ferguson done this in every interview win or lose. Bloke was making a bloody stupid point and he got a very gentle slap.

Whilst I'm not overly bothered about it, AF did it to national media (not fans outlet), he already had multiple success (not into his second game) and the fans were fully behind him and the club (not at war after a recent relegation)

He needs to get us on his side.
  • masicat said:

Nothing in this at all. I really think people are looking for things that aren't there.

Whilst I'm not overly bothered about it, AF did it to national media (not fans outlet), he already had multiple success (not into his second game) and the fans were fully behind him and the club (not at war after a recent relegation)

He needs to get us on his side.
    I always thought it made Fergie look a prick too. I'll give Slade the benefit of the doubt for now, but he definitely needs to tread carefully with this sort of thing as the honeymoon period is ending rapidly.
  • seth plum said:

Only just watched the video of the post match stuff.
    Really disappointed with Slade. Should not have dug out Louis the way he did. If there are issues then sort them out internally and have a reciprocal degree of civility with the interviewer. It was especially narky and sarcastic, and indeed inadequate, when he fielded the Johnson question.

Where is the video link please?

• LouisMend said:

PaddyP17 said:

Covered them in what ? We need to know.

Love, he's a Palace fan after all.
  • masicat said:

Firstly, Russell Slade is no Alex Ferguson. He's not even Darren Ferguson.
    Secondly, what was stupid about the point being made? And even if it was stupid, is it sensible for a manager to react in this rather infantile way so early in a spell at a club when trying - supposedly - to win fans over?
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Only just watched the video of the post match stuff.

Where is the video link please?

I saw it on cafc player.
  • edited August 2016
    Just watched the video and Slade is even more of a bell than I thought last night. Absolutely disgusting way to treat Louis. Subtle (and not so subtle) digs during Louis' interview and the next one too - scumbag move Rus
  • Rule one of one. Never give an exact period of time out when answering a question because when you can't stick to it you look very silly.
  • As a journalist myself I have to say @LouisMend asked exactly the right question about transfers. If anything, he could and maybe should have asked the same question post Bury.
  • spot on SJH

he's never really managed anything other than league one strugglers

1 good season at Leyton Orient where he lost on penalties if you hadn't heard him say it 48 times

Then one season at Cardiff in the championship where they managed to finish two points above our Bob Peeters crouching Luzon wonder season

Marshall, Fabio, Doyle, Macheda, Gunnarsson, Mason, Gabbidon, Le Fondre, Kenwyne Jones, Mason, Maynard et al in the side

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Cardiff_City_F.C._season

he's a nobody and the players must think similar

• Rule one of one. Never give an exact period of time out when answering a question because when you can't stick to it you look very silly.

Exactly. If you don't have control over the process, don't give a timeframe.

Local teams here have started to refuse to give target dates for injured players coming back. One was very open about it - if he gives a date and it takes longer to recover than expected, everyone questions the treatment or suggests the player isn't trying hard enough. If they come back earlier than expected, then the team is rushing them back and risking their long term health.

Much easier to say he's injured and in treatment and we'll let you know when he gets to the next stage of his recovery.

• Not watched the video but just listened to the audio and it's a total non story, neither party does anything wrong at all. Questions were fine and Slade answered them pretty honestly to be fair
  • Valley11 said:

As a journalist myself I have to say @LouisMend asked exactly the right question about transfers. If anything, he could and maybe should have asked the same question post Bury.

That's exactly what he did do... http://m.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/charlton/14666920.Slade_reveals_imminent_deal_as_Charlton_boss_reflects_on_Bury_defeat/
  • edited August 2016
    Where can we watch the full Russell Slade post cheltenham interview?

Link?

From what people are saying in sounds personal. Slades head is up his own ass for a brief stint and LM got under his skin by just asking relevant basic questions.

If you can't take the heat Slade and your not enjoying it, f*ck off.

Sound familiar?