Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Thanks for summary. Im on the hunt for a China fund/trust. Once again a BG one has caught my eye that they took over a few months back - BG China Growth trust. 

Anybody in/recommend?
  • mendonca said:
    Thanks for summary. Im on the hunt for a China fund/trust. Once again a BG one has caught my eye that they took over a few months back - BG China Growth trust. 

Anybody in/recommend?
    I must admit when investing in that area I usually go for a fund that covers the whole Asian area, so one that also includes Japan. If you rather avoid Japan (because you invest there separately) then the BG Pacific fund would be my choice. If you wanted just a China fund then I like JPM Greater China.
  • The overall gains in my portfolio were halts in their tracks yesterday by big falls in my tech funds, but so far I havent established what news caused that. I know the EU announced they are going to give Amazon a hard time over its abuse of data on Marketplace, and quite right IMO, but I would not have thought it a reason for 6-7% falls in wider tech funds. Anyone know?
  • My Brewery/pub shares doing very well, C19 recovery stocks, latest (today) from Wetherspoons not good reading but that have suffered through restrictive trading.  I fancy next Spring these will fly so shall sit tight. Airlines also doing very well, can’t believe Carnival up and Cineworld, who’d have predicted that. Keep safe & strong all. 
  • edited November 2020
    The overall gains in my portfolio were halts in their tracks yesterday by big falls in my tech funds, but so far I havent established what news caused that. I know the EU announced they are going to give Amazon a hard time over its abuse of data on Marketplace, and quite right IMO, but I would not have thought it a reason for 6-7% falls in wider tech funds. Anyone know?
    No idea @PragueAddick but its probably a combination of the EU action & the tech sector being "overheated" in the US and dealers taking profits before Biden starts taxing then more.

I checked my SIPP this morning & was astonished to find it down around 2% from yesterday where I thought it would have been up by about that amount. I don't track each individual fund on a daily basis so not  sure where the loss came from exactly, but the US funds were definitely lower, as well as the Absolute Return fund, which is in there as a "hedging" mechanism. The latter one I can only assume to be down as the market has gone up this week.
  • The overall gains in my portfolio were halts in their tracks yesterday by big falls in my tech funds, but so far I havent established what news caused that. I know the EU announced they are going to give Amazon a hard time over its abuse of data on Marketplace, and quite right IMO, but I would not have thought it a reason for 6-7% falls in wider tech funds. Anyone know?
    No idea @PragueAddick but its probably a combination of the EU action & the tech sector being "overheated" in the US and dealers taking profits before Biden starts taxing then more.

I checked my SIPP this morning & was astonished to find it down around 2% from yesterday where I thought it would have been up by about that amount. I don't track each individual fund on a daily basis so not  sure where the loss came from exactly, but the US funds were definitely lower, as well as the Absolute Return fund, which is in there as a "hedging" mechanism. The latter one I can only assume to be down as the market has gone up this week.
    I just had a further look. It looks like many funds fell back sharply yesterday. All three BG funds I bought last week lost 3% or so. But at least one of them holds Tesla as its largest holding, and Amazon was in there. But today my tech investment trusts are currently back up 2% after the whacking losses yesterday. I expect this will all iron out a bit in the coming days. 

As for the end of year predictor, it may well be that the winner is a bit above the 6400 ish level that was easily the most popular punt. That was my punt. When making it, I was counting on some good news about a vaccine by then; but I did not dare hope the news about the vaccine itself would be so positive. I did not dare try to factor in the result of the US, as I didn't dare call it, and even if I did, would not have known how either result might affect the markets. 

Everything to play for in the competition, I would say, although if you punted below 6,000 my personal guess is that you will not be the winner. Unless the orange baboon does something really stupid, like a strike on Iran...
  • Can you remind me the end date for the predictions please
  • MrOneLung said:
    Can you remind me the end date for the predictions please
    Year end I believe (or we stop when the FTSE hits 6420 :-) )
  • Rob7Lee said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Can you remind me the end date for the predictions please
    Year end I believe (or we stop when the FTSE hits 6420 :-) )
    I've forgotten what I predicted. 
    Anyone know what page the predictions are on.
  • bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

• Sponsored links:

• Thanks Rob7Lee
    Saves me trawling back through the pages 
  • Glad I didn't cash out now!
  • Happy with my general performance, just wish I never bought LF Ruffer Gold while it was expensive. It's been my only rash Lockdown decision, a the click of an app, but down about 14% from purchase. A quick read suggests the prospects for further gold mining are fairly limited and blocked due to political factors. I now need to assess whether to hold it long term and hope or cut my losses and hope I use the recovered amount wisely. 
  • edited November 2020
    mendonca said:
    Happy with my general performance, just wish I never bought LF Ruffer Gold while it was expensive. It's been my only rash Lockdown decision, a the click of an app, but down about 14% from purchase. A quick read suggests the prospects for further gold mining are fairly limited and blocked due to political factors. I now need to assess whether to hold it long term and hope or cut my losses and hope I use the recovered amount wisely. 
    The problem is most OEIC funds that have "Gold" in the title are mainly into Gold mining. If you want to hold Gold as a commodity you need an EFT or find a fund that holds physical Gold. The price of Gold  has done very well this year (as it usually does in times of crisis) but trying to hold it as an investment is quite hard.
  • Thanks @golfaddick. Definitely a rash decision by me, with not enough research before making the decision. Live and learn I suppose! Guess only holding one fund in the red from 12 is not too bad and my only consolation. 
  • Is Golfie's 6666 an omen ? 😊
  • I’ve a black rock gold fund, which is still up a fair bit since March.
  • Another rather volatile day for fund performance. Am enjoying the journey as along as do not end up skint!
  • edited November 2020
    Is Golfie's 6666 an omen ? 😊
    Basically went for that figure as I didn't have a clue but thought 6500+ was achievable by the year end.
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Cheers #RobLee7, I note Tullow oil is on a bit of a run as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Cheers #RobLee7, I note Tullow oil is on a bit of a run as well. 
    Yup, not sure for how long though 25p is pretty good.

I just had a further look. It looks like many funds fell back sharply yesterday. All three BG funds I bought last week lost 3% or so. But at least one of them holds Tesla as its largest holding, and Amazon was in there. But today my tech investment trusts are currently back up 2% after the whacking losses yesterday. I expect this will all iron out a bit in the coming days. 

As for the end of year predictor, it may well be that the winner is a bit above the 6400 ish level that was easily the most popular punt. That was my punt. When making it, I was counting on some good news about a vaccine by then; but I did not dare hope the news about the vaccine itself would be so positive. I did not dare try to factor in the result of the US, as I didn't dare call it, and even if I did, would not have known how either result might affect the markets. 

Everything to play for in the competition, I would say, although if you punted below 6,000 my personal guess is that you will not be the winner. Unless the orange baboon does something really stupid, like a strike on Iran...
    The theory all year has been that, once we think we're coming out of the virus then there will be a rotation from tech to 'value' stocks - or sell NDX, buy Dow Jones.  The idea being that tech will lose the advantages of lockdown.  If you look at their valuations, quite a few are wild even by tech's usual standards.  Where that is predicated on extrapolating recent gains exponentially, any slight disappointments in the next quarter's reporting round will cause some sell-offs.

Personally, I think the rotation is an early call - I think the lockdowns have accelerated some long term shifts that will continue, many companies will have gone bust in the mean time, reducing competition and we're a long way yet from getting through this. Survivors will also not want to get caught out again and will accelerate the shift to digital. You've also got Biden's people talking about locking the US down for 4-6 weeks .... so plenty of volatility to come, I would say.
  • I still like my 6825 by the end of the year. 

I think there is still a decent chunk of climb to come before the end of the year. 
  • Huskaris said:
    I still like my 6825 by the end of the year. 

I think there is still a decent chunk of climb to come before the end of the year. 
    I like your optimism, I like bob munro's even more at nearly 7,400!!

Still my two structured products are finally back in profit, got 18-30 months yet though before they can begin to pay.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

Still my two structured products are finally back in profit, got 18-30 months yet though before they can begin to pay.

I'm relying on the first batch of vaccines being in people's arms before the end of the year, I think that will push it to at least 6825

• Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

I'm relying on the first batch of vaccines being in people's arms before the end of the year, I think that will push it to at least 6825

If I was a betting man (!) I would say that is nigh on a certainty.

I'm not confident my 7,400 will be hit by the year end, that may come too soon, but it will go above that by say the end of February.
  • bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

If I was a betting man (!) I would say that is nigh on a certainty.

I'm not confident my 7,400 will be hit by the year end, that may come too soon, but it will go above that by say the end of February.
    Exactly, I think just seeing boxes of millions of them, fridges being put together and moves towards infrastructure to distribute these vaccines will send markets going even further.

If the announcement of a vaccine did this much, imagine what the markets will do when they are starting to be fully distributed in advanced economies. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. You've forgotten the orange baboon still bouncing around in his white cage, and the fact that on Jan 2, the UK is out of the EU. Out this time means Out, especially at Dover.

Events, dear boy, events...
  • Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. You've forgotten the orange baboon still bouncing around in his white cage, and the fact that on Jan 2, the UK is out of the EU. Out this time means Out, especially at Dover.

Events, dear boy, events...
    Brexit is priced in as being very close to a no deal in my opinion, so all I can really see is upside from if there is somehow a deal. I won't get into a political discussion on Brexit on here as this is purely markets but that's how I view it.

As for Trump, that doesn't really worry me too much. As long as either way Biden or Trump are confirmed as the "winner" by the end of December, markets should be fine. I won't get into a political discussion on US politics on here as this is purely markets but that's how I view it... ;)