Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    PBs £725 since April.

Last Wednesday took cash/bonds from 80% to 60% of portfolio ISAs and Pension. Did reverse in March so looking OK and don't need funds for a 5-7 years
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Markets everywhere on the up today.

FTSE100 closed up 2.3%. Most European markets up around 2.5%......Spain up 4.6% !  Even the US is up over 2% on early trading.....you would have thought their eyes would have been on something else today.

Signs of recovery or a dead cat bounce....??
    Dead cat, take some profit.
    Mug punters in funds simply are not allowed to do that. 24-48 hour time lag. In this case, the profits are already gone.

Tech is back up again though. Us mug punters just gotta take what's given to us in the short term.
    Yesterday's global market performance backs this up quite well. Most funds that have outperformed the market this year were up 5-6pc! Imagine having sold on Tuesday or Wednesday aiming to time the market.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Don't forget, premium bond day tomorrow.

My financial advisor over here laughed at me when I bought premium bonds.

I made a three figure sum in prizes. He lost me a six figure sum! He got sacked.

SIX figures? Good grief. The sack? He deserves a visit from the Hale crew!

Was he one of those British expats who prey on fellow expats? I had some youngster from the notorious DeVere call me the other day. The only reason i took the call was that it showed up as coming from the UAE. I thought it might be Tahnoon...anyway he rather regretted it. 
    If I have time, I like to play with these guys.  If nothing else, it holds them up from mis-selling to someone else.  

I was on some suckers list for years.  I think I once - to get rid of someone - agreed to be sent a brochure on some 'latest alternative investment scheme' and I was plagued with calls after that.

I've obviously had too much fun toying them as I don't get the calls any more.  Which is a shame - they've were a fantastic leading indicator for when something was about to tank or turn up in the Sunday papers as the latest scam.
  • Options
    Any thoughts on the impact to markets this week following the US presidency this week? I would imagine next in line is a stimulus package. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Any thoughts on the impact to markets this week following the US presidency this week? I would imagine next in line is a stimulus package. 
    Trump was a darling of the markets as Companies loved his corporate tax cuts. Biden has said that he was going to reverse some of them & being on the left I'm sure there will be more tax increases for businesses. Saying that, its going to be some time before anything of that nature  happens so I expect markets to carry on bobbing around until a vaccine is widely available & life starts getting back to near normal. 
  • Options
    Markets are doing very well, might sell the last of my individual shares.

• Options
    They're doing well. Luckily, I got in there pre-8am this morning for some top ups to my current well performing funds. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    They're doing well. Luckily, I got in there pre-8am this morning for some top ups to my current well performing funds. 
    You little tinker.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I made a three figure sum in prizes. He lost me a six figure sum! He got sacked.

Was he one of those British expats who prey on fellow expats? I had some youngster from the notorious DeVere call me the other day. The only reason i took the call was that it showed up as coming from the UAE. I thought it might be Tahnoon...anyway he rather regretted it. 
    Sorry, a bit late in replying.

Yes, six figures out of my pension fund plus a five figure amount from my personal investments.

I decided to transfer to a QROPS a few years ago. The figures looked good, and some of the funds did well...but three went bust! I'm involved in a class action right now in an attempt to get some money back from the insurance company backing these investments. I've met people that lost a lot more than me, including one guy from Essex who sold his company for around a million pounds, retired to Thailand and put almost the entire amount into the same three funds that lost money for me. The only thing I did right was insist upon a good spread across many funds.

My pension is now with a much more reliable, honest advisor mainly in safe diversified funds. My personal investments I do myself, mainly USD ETFs. Neither amounts as much as they should have been thanks to the initial advisor, who had to leave Thailand very quickly when an arrest warrant was put out for him for acting in an unlicensed capacity.

And £75 winnings on the premium bonds this month!

I need to be more active on this thread as there's some good uncomplicated suggestions here.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

If I have time, I like to play with these guys.  If nothing else, it holds them up from mis-selling to someone else.  

I was on some suckers list for years.  I think I once - to get rid of someone - agreed to be sent a brochure on some 'latest alternative investment scheme' and I was plagued with calls after that.

I've obviously had too much fun toying them as I don't get the calls any more.  Which is a shame - they've were a fantastic leading indicator for when something was about to tank or turn up in the Sunday papers as the latest scam.
    I still get calls from these "boiler room" scammers quite regularly. So easy to recognise the sales technique and the way they address you by name every few seconds. The last one I had was last Friday from South Korea.

I sometimes toy with them if I'm in the mood, let them go through the whole spiel, let them send me something in the post, then tell them where to go upon the follow up call. On other occasions I just tell them to eff off!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    You little tinker.......
    I invested in three Baillie Gifford funds you recommended, last week. I'm already 3% up across the three based on yesterday's prices. I hope @mendonca gets the bump he is expecting but I'd advise him to be ready for a WTF moment when he sees the price he actually bought at.
  • Options
    Right then here we go. I've gone for 6450, this time we have 24 punters and one IFA, all trying to beat the chimpanzees. The average, (consensus?) comes out at 6379, median almost the same at 6397. Here's the list, optimists first. I've got them in a spread so if anyone sees a mistake, do please shout.

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

TelMc32            5960

Fortune 82nd Minute          5980

Closed 5582 Last night 
    Not looking quite so terrible now!!

bit the bullet and sold the rest of my Go Ahead shares, thank you very much!!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Right then here we go. I've gone for 6450, this time we have 24 punters and one IFA, all trying to beat the chimpanzees. The average, (consensus?) comes out at 6379, median almost the same at 6397. Here's the list, optimists first. I've got them in a spread so if anyone sees a mistake, do please shout.

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

TelMc32            5960

Fortune 82nd Minute          5980

Closed 5582 Last night 
    Not looking quite so terrible now!!

bit the bullet and sold the rest of my Go Ahead shares, thank you very much!!
    I went for 6666. Might get there if the vaccine gets the licence before xmas. 
  • Options
    Good day for me Breweries and Airlines very, very bad day for me with pharma stocks, crazy day of trading & crapping oneself as a sea of red descended on my pharma’s. All being well testing testing testing will tide the tide 😥🙏🙏
  • Options
    A couple of good films you might what to watch if you are into boiler room scams & arbitraging. 

Glengary Glen Ross - staring Jack Lemmon 

Margin Call  - staring Jeremy Irons

Both also star Kevin Spacey......🤔
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    mendonca said:
    You little tinker.......
    I invested in three Baillie Gifford funds you recommended, last week. I'm already 3% up across the three based on yesterday's prices. I hope @mendonca gets the bump he is expecting but I'd advise him to be ready for a WTF moment when he sees the price he actually bought at.
    Ha good shout. A day tends to even itself out over the course of months but I did initially get that feeling that the jump in its price would be tomorrow, not today. 

Can't complaint as my portfolio is up 2.4pc just today.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    You little tinker.......
    Ha good shout. A day tends to even itself out over the course of months but I did initially get that feeling that the jump in its price would be tomorrow, not today. 

Yes, there were several times in the past where I tried a sharp move to buy or sometimes sell funds, convinced I had the timing of my order right, and somehow didnt. I wrote to H-L once asking for clarification of how it works and the reply was very foggy indeed. It also turns out that funds have different valuation times. I think that if your funds hold stocks quoted on foreign exchanges, that further muddies the water. 

The whole thing stinks really. I just wonder whether Vanguard on their own could manage to introduce funds priced in real time, or whether it requires wholesale regulatory change. I bet they consider it as their next "disruptive" play.

Mind you, I don't know how old you are..maybe this is before your time but until about 15 years ago all these funds had a bid - offer spread. So any fund you bought had to gain 5% before you actually were in profit at all. I don't know again how that very sharp practice got the boot. I don't recall it being one day where everything changed, so I wonder who initiated it.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    You little tinker.......

Yes, there were several times in the past where I tried a sharp move to buy or sometimes sell funds, convinced I had the timing of my order right, and somehow didnt. I wrote to H-L once asking for clarification of how it works and the reply was very foggy indeed. It also turns out that funds have different valuation times. I think that if your funds hold stocks quoted on foreign exchanges, that further muddies the water. 

The whole thing stinks really. I just wonder whether Vanguard on their own could manage to introduce funds priced in real time, or whether it requires wholesale regulatory change. I bet they consider it as their next "disruptive" play.

Mind you, I don't know how old you are..maybe this is before your time but until about 15 years ago all these funds had a bid - offer spread. So any fund you bought had to gain 5% before you actually were in profit at all. I don't know again how that very sharp practice got the boot. I don't recall it being one day where everything changed, so I wonder who initiated it.
    I don't think you are ever going to get "real time" dealing unless you are a trader or on the "floor" of an exchange.

You might want to cast your minds back to 1987 & Black Monday. I was working for Hill Samuel in their Unit Trust dealing dept & we had to suspend dealing as back then everything was done on an "historical price" basis & the market was moving so much that everytime you priced a fund it was out of date 10 mins later. That week we were taking deals "blind" and telling clients that if they wanted to sell they would get the next price calculated. Hardly anyone wanted to deal that way & said that they would wait until a price was known. This led directly to the industry going onto a "forward pricing" basis.

Can't win whatever you do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A couple of good films you might what to watch if you are into boiler room scams & arbitraging. 

A film you financial guys might like: The Big Short 2016 starring Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt. Its about corruption in the US mortgage market (Fanny Mae and all that).  Sounds boring but it isn't! In fact it's quite exciting. 
  • Options

A film you financial guys might like: The Big Short 2016 starring Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt. Its about corruption in the US mortgage market (Fanny Mae and all that).  Sounds boring but it isn't! In fact it's quite exciting. 
    Yep......great film. 
  • Options
    Market up again. Almost at 6300.
  • Options
    I think I said 6700 based on it normally rising somewhat before the year end, a xmas new year positive rise.
    So I could still be correct.
  • Options
    Come on 6420  :smile:

Certainly helping out the old ISA & SIPP thats for sure.
  • Options
    Is anybody changing their investment choices? Goodbye Tech, hello industries who may prosper in 2021, with a vaccine? 

A bit too early for me.
  • Options
    Thank goodness I held on to my Heineken shares! Decided to take a loss on Fullers though, as whatever happens I think city centre pubs are never going to get the business back that they once had, and put that money into Whitbread following an encouraging article in The Times a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    JET2 are my lockdown success up 147% in couple months. Though, still down on any number of others, but been some decent recovery on my portfolio this week. 
  • Options
    JET2 are my lockdown success up 147% in couple months. Though, still down on any number of others, but been some decent recovery on my portfolio this week. 
    When corona all kicked off I said to my old man I fancied punting a few airline stocks on the first whisper of a vaccine as there would be a load going out of bizz, some cheap planes to buy and market share to gain, completely bottled it 😭
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Is anybody changing their investment choices? Goodbye Tech, hello industries who may prosper in 2021, with a vaccine? 

A bit too early for me.
    I've got a fairly diverse portfolio anyway, maybe 30 funds now, i'm not good enough to both call the timing and the area/industries so will just keep it broadly as is, a few buys and sells here and there but mostly just let it roll.

I do need to decide what to do with the amount int here in cash from selling most of the individual shares though, fancy Tesco's right now, maybe some apple.