Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• I hear that a lot of customers are unhappy with HL due to their online systems going down or being very slow this week, especially on Monday when the markets moved & customers not being able to trade.

• I hear that a lot of customers are unhappy with HL due to their online systems going down or being very slow this week, especially on Monday when the markets moved & customers not being able to trade.

Struggled selling on HL on Monday - I think some people may have lost a lot due to delays.

Yup I was one of those, in all honesty I’d already done what I needed to but it was frustrating not being able to log on, put a complaint in and await a response.  

Monday was crazy I topped up on ODX shares and watched the share price melt, this Pfizer vaccine ain’t what it’s supposed to be (maybe for another thread). One thing for sure the FTSE benefitted, best week since April. ODX & EKF are going to fly in my humble opinion, test, test, test.
  • Had similar issues with Halifax Share Dealing. They also had two days where price feed was not working, so portfolio valuations were way out of date. 

Yup I was one of those, in all honesty I’d already done what I needed to but it was frustrating not being able to log on, put a complaint in and await a response.  

Monday was crazy I topped up on ODX shares and watched the share price melt, this Pfizer vaccine ain’t what it’s supposed to be (maybe for another thread). One thing for sure the FTSE benefitted, best week since April. ODX & EKF are going to fly in my humble opinion, test, test, test.
    A lot of the covid testing shares were massively oversold- hard not to panic when you see prices dropping like a stone. I think the Novacyt share price plunged by almost 50% in a very a short time after the Pfizer announcement - the move wasn't warranted but it's hard to think straight in situations like this.

I've not traded in such a turbulent market and it's hard to react or deal quickly enough.Trading platforms limit the private investor.

Tempted to put more into RMS and the antiviral mask - if it takes off it has to have massive potential in the near future.

A lot of the covid testing shares were massively oversold- hard not to panic when you see prices dropping like a stone. I think the Novacyt share price plunged by almost 50% in a very a short time after the Pfizer announcement - the move wasn't warranted but it's hard to think straight in situations like this.

I've not traded in such a turbulent market and it's hard to react or deal quickly enough.Trading platforms limit the private investor.

Tempted to put more into RMS and the antiviral mask - if it takes off it has to have massive potential in the near future.
    Monday was a piece of piss compared to Black Monday & the day the UK went into the ERM. 

Monday was a piece of piss compared to Black Monday & the day the UK went into the ERM. 
    I can only imagine - must have been a nightmare.
  • Huskaris said:
    @Huskaris

For clarity I used the term "orange baboon" as a shorthand for "a US President who is displaying unprecedented contempt for the conventions of orderly handover after losing an election, and is moving ahead with alarming political firings and and hirings in key national positions". Such unprecedented behaviour has the ability to disturb markets. For clarity, I used the term "Out means Out" as a shorthand for the fact that on January 2nd the UK border will be treated by the EU as a third country, and there will not be free movement, particularly of freight; it is by no means clear that the UK has invested and recruited sufficiently to handle that situation. Such an unprecedented situation has the ability to disturb markets.

Hope that helps.
    Wondered how to respond to this as I have either misread it as condescending or it genuinely is. 

Anyway I don't want to escalate it so:

Your number - 6,450
    My number - 6,825
    FTSE 100 now - 6,318
    Middle number - 6,637.5

£20 to the upbeats from me if under 6,637.5, £20 from you if over?

Oh and if you're within 50 points either side of your projection I will make it £50
    I really wanted to resist any attempt to compromise the competition by allowing re-forecasting - much - closer to the deadline, as it is obviously easier to get things right after big unknowns become clearer, but with the terms youve proposed it would be churlish to decline. So just this once...
  • edited November 2020
    Huskaris said:
    @Huskaris

For clarity I used the term "orange baboon" as a shorthand for "a US President who is displaying unprecedented contempt for the conventions of orderly handover after losing an election, and is moving ahead with alarming political firings and and hirings in key national positions". Such unprecedented behaviour has the ability to disturb markets. For clarity, I used the term "Out means Out" as a shorthand for the fact that on January 2nd the UK border will be treated by the EU as a third country, and there will not be free movement, particularly of freight; it is by no means clear that the UK has invested and recruited sufficiently to handle that situation. Such an unprecedented situation has the ability to disturb markets.

Hope that helps.
    Wondered how to respond to this as I have either misread it as condescending or it genuinely is. 

Anyway I don't want to escalate it so:

Your number - 6,450
    My number - 6,825
    FTSE 100 now - 6,318
    Middle number - 6,637.5

£20 to the upbeats from me if under 6,637.5, £20 from you if over?

Oh and if you're within 50 points either side of your projection I will make it £50
    I really wanted to resist any attempt to compromise the competition by allowing re-forecasting - much - closer to the deadline, as it is obviously easier to get things right after big unknowns become clearer, but with the terms youve proposed it would be churlish to decline. So just this once...
    Who wants to reforecast? That is literally the middle number between both of our initial "bids" that were set way back. All I have done is taken the middle number between the two and basically said whoever is closest wins...

No reforecasting here, I never need to, I get it right first time ;-)

Edit: If you quote the above on Jan 1st when I am 800 points off I'll see you in Makro car park.

I transferred £5k into my HL SIPP.  It took 7 days to even register - after 3 emails.  Then I picked a fund to invest and another 3 days...during which things changed again.   I'm guessing that, like most places, they are all working from home and have cut back on staff... also the market being busy means they just can't cope...bit of a joke really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had trouble again with HL yesterday - not sure what the best platform is for share dealing? I could minimise my losses if HL was a bit quicker.
  • Should be a nice rise for Tesla today :-)
  • mendonca said:
    Should be a nice rise for Tesla today :-)
    Still think their shares are massively overvalued but obviously most investors think otherwise. 
  • mendonca said:
    Bloody nice rise for my crypto wallet as well!
  • mendonca said:
    Still think their shares are massively overvalued but obviously most investors think otherwise. 
    Same. They are part of SP500 from December which will see them included in many tracker funds. 
  • mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    Same. They are part of SP500 from December which will see them included in many tracker funds. 
    Seems to be no correlation between their balance sheet and the share value - their PR has done great things. The S&P promotion will just track them even higher as you say.
  • Had trouble again with HL yesterday - not sure what the best platform is for share dealing? I could minimise my losses if HL was a bit quicker.
    I use ii and Fidelity and never have any issues. ii is the better of the two.

Sold my BATS shares yesterday on ii £28.50 for a nice profit (set as a limit sell).
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Had trouble again with HL yesterday - not sure what the best platform is for share dealing? I could minimise my losses if HL was a bit quicker.

Sold my BATS shares yesterday on ii £28.50 for a nice profit (set as a limit sell).
    What's a profit?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Had trouble again with HL yesterday - not sure what the best platform is for share dealing? I could minimise my losses if HL was a bit quicker.

What's a profit?
    It's where you buy low and sell high, or something like that :smile:
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What's a profit?
    It's where you buy low and sell high, or something like that :smile:
    I'm more of a buy high sell low type of person.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:

Monday was a nightmare.  The platform seized up for a good 20 minutes until they eventually took it down and restarted it.  Underneath it's still running on an old mainframe and the web app and mobile apps are sat on top polling, judging by how fills are updated.  I've written to them many times with some 'suggestions' but the level of investment has been woeful.

There is no excuse for the system seizing up like that whatsoever.  

If I could transfer out within a few trading days, I'd be looking at Saxo but 4 weeks seems to be common?  I'd love to go to Interactive Brokers, which is a really professional outfit but they don't seem to support ISAs.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Monday was a nightmare.  The platform seized up for a good 20 minutes until they eventually took it down and restarted it.  Underneath it's still running on an old mainframe and the web app and mobile apps are sat on top polling, judging by how fills are updated.  I've written to them many times with some 'suggestions' but the level of investment has been woeful.

If I could transfer out within a few trading days, I'd be looking at Saxo but 4 weeks seems to be common?  I'd love to go to Interactive Brokers, which is a really professional outfit but they don't seem to support ISAs.
    Yer transfers can be painful, I had a number of issues transferring an ISA to HSBC from Fidelity - Fidelity sent a cheque that was lost!
  • The problem is that a lot of platforms were set up 15-odd years ago & mainly for the use of IFA's. Over time they have needed to be upgraded & some companies either don't have the money or can't afford the "downtime" this takes. 

About 2 years ago the platform that I use the most (Aegon/Cofunds) was upgraded & it was a nitemare. Aegon had bought out Cofunds the year before & wanted to rebrand it, at the same time as moving everything over to it's new platform. It took over a week before I could start dealing again & they lost application forms (paper based back then) as well as not being able to send money out to clients who had sold down their holdings. They weren't the only ones & I believe Aviva had similar problems when they launched theirs last year.

Since then I have been using other platforms & have recently settled with Old Mutual. Problem is they are just about to do a switch over to their new platform & although they have reassured the IFA community that all is going to go well I just know there's going to be at least a day or two of teething problems.

Such is life 

When hardly anybody managed to get to work on the Friday because of the great storm. No back up sites (not that anybody could have got to them if there were any) or working from home capabilities then. Straight down the pub on the Friday after arranging a day when my car could go in for no questions asked repairs under the insurance and the garage roof to have it’s now missing tiles replaced

When hardly anybody managed to get to work on the Friday because of the great storm. No back up sites (not that anybody could have got to them if there were any) or working from home capabilities then. Straight down the pub on the Friday after arranging a day when my car could go in for no questions asked repairs under the insurance and the garage roof to have it’s now missing tiles replaced
    It all culminated in a "perfect storm" for the stock market the week following the October 87 hurricane. As you say, not many people could get into work on the Friday & I believe the FTSE was shut that day. The Dow then suffered "Triple witching hour" on that Friday which meant stocks finished a lot lower. On the Monday traders came into work with a backlog of deals & had had the whole weekend to think about the implications of both the Dow's sudden drop & the cost to the Banks & Insurance companies over the amount of claims they were going to have to pay out. It was carnage that week. 
  • Rob7Lee said:

I use Saxo, but I use the offshore facility based in Singapore, though I'm sure the platforms will be the same. I don't think I've ever had a problem with the server.

Interactive lost out as they told me I needed more experience to sign up for their platform. Their loss as I have made at least a couple of hundred transactions since starting online trading four years ago.

It all culminated in a "perfect storm" for the stock market the week following the October 87 hurricane. As you say, not many people could get into work on the Friday & I believe the FTSE was shut that day. The Dow then suffered "Triple witching hour" on that Friday which meant stocks finished a lot lower. On the Monday traders came into work with a backlog of deals & had had the whole weekend to think about the implications of both the Dow's sudden drop & the cost to the Banks & Insurance companies over the amount of claims they were going to have to pay out. It was carnage that week. 
    There was also a trade war going on and a shock from an unexpected hike in the German bank rate.  So a lot of similarities to this year's dump.

Just to add to the cluster f*ck, options market makers discovered that they shouldn't have priced puts on the same volatility basis as calls, due to the old adage that markets go up on an escalator and down in an elevator.  One of the reasons that the sell-off was fast and brutal but recovered very quickly, due to all the leverage unwinding.

I was still at college and all it meant to me was that I had a terrible night sleep but fortunately couldn't go for a run because Kensington Gardens was shut!

There was also a trade war going on and a shock from an unexpected hike in the German bank rate.  So a lot of similarities to this year's dump.

Just to add to the cluster f*ck, options market makers discovered that they shouldn't have priced puts on the same volatility basis as calls, due to the old adage that markets go up on an escalator and down in an elevator.  One of the reasons that the sell-off was fast and brutal but recovered very quickly, due to all the leverage unwinding.

I was still at college and all it meant to me was that I had a terrible night sleep but fortunately couldn't go for a run because Kensington Gardens was shut!
    I slept through the storm. Had to get the bus to work and was shocked by the number of fallen trees.
  • Rob7Lee said:

I use Saxo, but I use the offshore facility based in Singapore, though I'm sure the platforms will be the same. I don't think I've ever had a problem with the server.

Interactive lost out as they told me I needed more experience to sign up for their platform. Their loss as I have made at least a couple of hundred transactions since starting online trading four years ago.
    That's a shame as it's a good platform and cheap to use.  The interface is professoinal, so looks a bit complicated at first sight.  I used to use it for options trading but that's not tax effective.

The Saxo platform was designed and built by some very good friends of mine.  They told me to steer clear of it but I think they were joking :-)