Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• I withdrew the other day, still have some fixed rates and premium bonds as well as direct saver (which I should move).
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I withdrew the other day, still have some fixed rates and premium bonds as well as direct saver (which I should move).
    If anyone needs advice on how to get a poor return on their money I am happy to help!

Still holding Lloyds Bank shares that have actually risen in the last month. Always vowed to buy more if the share price fell below 30p but couldn't bring myself to do it. 
  • Addickted said:
    Don't forget to get out of NS&I.

Tomorrow, the Income Bonds drop from 1.16% PA to 0.05% PA
    Out, but to where? Rates are rubbish mostly everywhere 
  • Just shifted some cash into Yorkshire BS. Only 1% but still......
  • I had a Yorkshire ISA at 1.6% finish this year, feels like that was a golden age now!
  • Addickted said:

Thanks for the reminder.

I can't help but think this is almost verging on sharp practice by the NSI. Keep interest rates "high" whilst everyone else is reducing them and then when they've drawn billions of pounds in, slash the interest rates to near nothing. (If say they had reduced them to say 0.5% that would at least be fair). There must be thousands of old folk, in particular, who won't draw their money out and these people will just get stuffed completely.

This all leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.

• Jon_CAFC_ said:
    Addickted said:

Bought some more sovereigns, have decided where to put the rest yet currently in HSBC. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Jon_CAFC_ said:
    Addickted said:

Bought some more sovereigns, have decided where to put the rest yet currently in HSBC. 
    Gold? At current prices? Blimey.
  • Jon_CAFC_ said:
    Addickted said:

I have cash in Charter Savings Bank. They just reduced their rate on 95 Day notice account but still at 1.1%.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    Jon_CAFC_ said:
    Addickted said:

Gold? At current prices? Blimey.
    I buy them fairly regularly, wasn’t all that long ago they were sub £200, last ones I bought were £340 the other day. Think when I first started buying in around 2004 they were sub £60.

it’s a long term buy, I’ll likely never sell them unless I need the cash desperately, but no CGT on them of course.

the ones I bought 2004-2007 have so far returned 12% per annum.
  • edited November 2020
    Addickted said:
    Just shifted some cash into Yorkshire BS. Only 1% but still......
    Is that a term account.... ? Just looked and best I can see is 0.5 with them. 
  • Blimey, just checked and they've stopped new investment into their Internet saver plus account. 

Cant believe how quickly the BS change their accounts and interest rates.
  • edited November 2020
    Addickted said:
    Blimey, just checked and they've stopped new investment into their Internet saver plus account. 

Cant believe how quickly the BS change their accounts and interest rates.
  • Think it's a ploy many banks use, give a leading rate for a while to get funds in then quickly shorten the rate once they have what they want as many won't keep switching. 0.7% is about the best instant access. It's a struggle to get 1% even for a years fixed.

Premium bonds suddenly looks a lot more attractive especially as tax free if you win! (roll on next week).
  • Anybody having trouble withdrawing money from NS&I.  Automated system gives you a code, then calls your mobile. First thing is enter hash if your expecting this call. I enter hash key, but it does not recognise it. Repeats the request 3 times, then logs me off. Happened twice now on third one it will lock account. Tried to phone and guess what, wait time 1 hour......... 
  • edited November 2020
    Nope. Closed my Income Bond account yesterday and was really straight forward.

They give you a numbered code online, text your 'phone requesting the number. Worked immediately for me - though the money's not in my C/A yet!
  • edited November 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    Think it's a ploy many banks use, give a leading rate for a while to get funds in then quickly shorten the rate once they have what they want as many won't keep switching. 0.7% is about the best instant access. It's a struggle to get 1% even for a years fixed.

Premium bonds suddenly looks a lot more attractive especially as tax free if you win! (roll on next week).
    YBS are still giving me the 1% on their Internet saver account - though I haven't added my NS&I funds into the account yet, so we'll see!
  • Addickted said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Think it's a ploy many banks use, give a leading rate for a while to get funds in then quickly shorten the rate once they have what they want as many won't keep switching. 0.7% is about the best instant access. It's a struggle to get 1% even for a years fixed.

YBS are still giving me the 1% on their Internet saver account - though I haven't added my NS&I funds into the account yet, so we'll see!
    Maybe not for long!
  • Rob7Lee said:

Agreed. Just switched some funds from Income bond account and maxed on Premium Bonds now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Possible FTSE upwards explosion, speculative journalism perhaps but nonetheless a good read;   https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-8972907/Get-ready-recovery-FTSE-tipped-soar.html
  • The FTSE at 9400  !!!!!!   Jeff Prestige must be on drugs. It might finish the year around 6500 & hit 7000 next year but over 9000 ?? The highest it's ever been is 7600-odd. 

I did notice the DOW hit it's all time high this evening & finished above 30,000 for the first time ever. Whereas the FTSE is still almost 20% off it's all time high. 

• The FTSE at 9400  !!!!!!   Jeff Prestige must be on drugs. It might finish the year around 6500 & hit 7000 next year but over 9000 ?? The highest it's ever been is 7600-odd. 

I did notice the DOW hit it's all time high this evening & finished above 30,000 for the first time ever. Whereas the FTSE is still almost 20% off it's all time high. 

I think when hopefully, although undoubtedly to many people's disappointment, half the UK isn't starving to death due to Brexit in January, we will start making up that ground. 
  • 9400 is dream world surely.

Back to 7,600 would be nice as it was roughly a year ago but don't see that happening anytime soon TBH.
  • Huskaris said:
    The FTSE at 9400  !!!!!!   Jeff Prestige must be on drugs. It might finish the year around 6500 & hit 7000 next year but over 9000 ?? The highest it's ever been is 7600-odd. 

I think when hopefully, although undoubtedly to many people's disappointment, half the UK isn't starving to death due to Brexit in January, we will start making up that ground. 
    What should I call you after a post like this?
    Any suggestions? 
  • Huskaris said:
    The FTSE at 9400  !!!!!!   Jeff Prestige must be on drugs. It might finish the year around 6500 & hit 7000 next year but over 9000 ?? The highest it's ever been is 7600-odd. 

Any suggestions? 
    Glass half full?
  • This thread seems to have gone a bit Daily Mail over the past few weeks. It's always been a concise, information based thread, with good opinions and advice. Let's leave the sensationalism aside, unless it is adequately explained. 
  • edited November 2020
    I had been filling up a Santander 123 account because of the interest they gave (which they then slashed), plus had some cash in peer to peer lending and a couple of other ISAs.

In May I transferred my existing ISA (moneyfarm) largely based on advice from here, as well as moving any other excess cash.

Up 10.48% since May, having researched and picked my own ETFs. 

I think it was particularly @PragueAddick and @Rob7Lee that convinced me to swap out of Moneyfarm, so thanks. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

Any suggestions? 
    Glass half full?
    I thought personal abuse was the normal response on here to a post you consider daft re Brexit? I won't go down that path...

I hope you're having a lovely day.