Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Stock markets looking like a potential blood bath to me. Going to profit take a bit more than I did last week (luckily enough) as the US lack of stimulus package, alongside election aswell as European lockdown measures will ruin the gains from past few months.
    Yes, this week has seen most markets fall by 6% -7%. Not sure where it will end, but if you hold your nerve then things will look better soon. 
    I plan to do so. Spoke to relatives in the US and they mentioned that there has hardly been any $$$ provided by the state for the past 2 weeks. This wasn't expected pre election so fingers crossed markets jump for weeks/months, following certainty. 

Portfolio is still doing well. My only bad decision I'd say was going into LF Ruffer Gold while it was at it's peak, it now seems. Down 12pc on that which is rare in red for me. Best to hold and hope?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    Stock markets looking like a potential blood bath to me. Going to profit take a bit more than I did last week (luckily enough) as the US lack of stimulus package, alongside election aswell as European lockdown measures will ruin the gains from past few months.
    Yes, this week has seen most markets fall by 6% -7%. Not sure where it will end, but if you hold your nerve then things will look better soon. 
    I plan to do so. Spoke to relatives in the US and they mentioned that there has hardly been any $$$ provided by the state for the past 2 weeks. This wasn't expected pre election so fingers crossed markets jump for weeks/months, following certainty. 

Portfolio is still doing well. My only bad decision I'd say was going into LF Ruffer Gold while it was at it's peak, it now seems. Down 12pc on that which is rare in red for me. Best to hold and hope?
    Gold is where Jupiter are holding some of their non equity assets. Ruffer Gold has done very well over the past year or so. Sadly I can't predict the future though.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Hope youre right Golfie.

I panicked last time around and sold, missing the lows in March to get back in. I took advantage of a mini-drop a few weeks back and that now looks an error as everything is now down; I'm mainly in USD ETFs. This time no panic. just holding as I have a better balanced portfolio. I'll be in the market for a couple of other ETFS when the time looks right as I still kept an amount in cash.
  • Options
    Markets hate uncertainty and we have that in bucketloads at present. An understanding of psychology helps as there is always a degree of panic.

In the UK we have the effects of Brexit to add into the mix and the US election will invariably cause some turmoil.

Hard to call the bottom of the market.

• Options
    Markets hate uncertainty and we have that in bucketloads at present. An understanding of psychology helps as there is always a degree of panic.

In the UK we have the effects of Brexit to add into the mix and the US election will invariably cause some turmoil.

Hard to call the bottom of the market.

True - if we could then we would all be very rich!
    But I think it's safe to say that whatever the bottom of the market will end up being, we are not there yet.
  • Options
    Not even close. Not least because it looks as though the pandemic is not going away anytime soon and pressure is being put on Governments to lockdown.
  • Options
    Hmm. As regulars will know, I am one of the more cautious investors. However I have noted that in the past months markets have responded to even vague positive updates about a vaccine. I am a big fan of Sarah Gilbert at Oxford Uni and she remains positive about progress. The moment the Astra Zeneca or a rival vaccine gets approval, I expect a major bounce. So I am buying the market down - chance to invest in Baillie Gifford funds tipped here - in 5% stages, and hopefully see a profit on these buys by early New Year. 
  • Options
    Even the pharma companies that are involved in Covid trials were hit yesterday, it was a red bloodbath, conversely mining stocks doing well. So many factors and unknowns are spooking global markets, it’s definitely hold your nerve time and perhaps buy a few more at rock bottom prices. Keep safe & strong all. 
  • Options
    Any stocks/funds people can recommend right now? Just opened up an Interactive Brokers account
  • Options
    Even the pharma companies that are involved in Covid trials were hit yesterday, it was a red bloodbath, conversely mining stocks doing well. So many factors and unknowns are spooking global markets, it’s definitely hold your nerve time and perhaps buy a few more at rock bottom prices. Keep safe & strong all. 
    I think hedge funds are having a field day with panicked investors who will sell rather too easily. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Excuse my slightly cynical chuckle!

If I was to look back at this thread there would be a number of posts from you back in about March time saying markets would be back to their January levels by September!

You know your onions - no doubt about that - but nobody can have any real idea where this market is going in these unprecedented times. 
  • Options
    There is of course a predictor running on here which ends 31Jan. A lot of entrants this time, with quite a few bunched around 6400 on the FTSE100 , including me. I would still be confident of making that ground up, even though it means almost 20% on current levels. I am just not convinced that FTSE100 index is the best general benchmark any more, at any time.
  • Options
    There is of course a predictor running on here which ends 31Jan. A lot of entrants this time, with quite a few bunched around 6400 on the FTSE100 , including me. I would still be confident of making that ground up, even though it means almost 20% on current levels. I am just not convinced that FTSE100 index is the best general benchmark any more, at any time.
    The lack of technology stocks in the FTSE holds it back - a lot of the companies in it have limited potential for growth. 
  • Options
    A friend makes horror movies and has just had his first big hit with a one based on a Zoom seance.  

I've told him to look at my portfolio for inspiration for his next film.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Excuse my slightly cynical chuckle!

If I was to look back at this thread there would be a number of posts from you back in about March time saying markets would be back to their January levels by September!

You know your onions - no doubt about that - but nobody can have any real idea where this market is going in these unprecedented times. 
    I've based my portfolio around Golfie's advice as I'm quite sure it's well founded, but I have noticed a strangely more positive outlook on economic performance than on Charlton 😅
  • Options
    Has anyone by chance come across Degiro, an online trading platform based and regulated in the Netherlands? I keep scouring for an online platform that I can invest in with euros as the currency, and this is one that came up, with low trading fees. The interface is better than Keytrade, the Luxembourg one which I set up for my wife, and although it does not seem to have any of my favourite funds it does at least have Vanguard funds, which will do just fine at this time>

In case the name rings a bell with anyone, positive or otherwise, I'll welcome any headsup.
  • Options
    Have been pretty shocked by the market swings on AIM - seems incredibly easy to manipulate prices. Seems a massive degree of risk although considerable profits can be made.

Not good for your nerves.
  • Options
    Has anyone by chance come across Degiro, an online trading platform based and regulated in the Netherlands? I keep scouring for an online platform that I can invest in with euros as the currency, and this is one that came up, with low trading fees. The interface is better than Keytrade, the Luxembourg one which I set up for my wife, and although it does not seem to have any of my favourite funds it does at least have Vanguard funds, which will do just fine at this time>

In case the name rings a bell with anyone, positive or otherwise, I'll welcome any headsup.
    Had a look at Degiro a while back. Definitely attractive when looking at their fees, but discovered that the security of funds is only $20k, wheres its up at $250k with someone like IB. This was last year so might have changed but worth confirming. Never ended up using them as they want EU residents only.

This might be worth a read too https://thepoorswiss.com/degiro-vs-interactive-brokers-european-portfolio/?fbclid=IwAR3pAMs7YK48M1ff-gB1_JjtchNOkzFQPO4Utc-A5ynUxRKVka8ROeHKhY8#Conclusion_European_Investor

• Options
    Close of business 31st December.
  • Options
    Close of business 31st December.
    Apologies, typo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Markets are but calmer today. I think my FTSE closing figure of 6666 is now a tad optimistic & think that it will be more in the range of 6000-6200.

However, a vaccine IS on the way & although it will probably be widely available in the Spring rather than before xmas, it should he a turning point & once it is amongst the general public & the economy has restarted then the markets can start to recover to close to where they were at the start of this year.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    It's funny how Golfie is optimistic about the economy and has faith in the markets whatever the situation, whereas in football matters he is so pessimistic.
    I see things getting far far worse in the immediate future with no daylight in sight 
    regarding investments and I don't even want to look at them. 

A vaccine is not on the way. You need to stop believing the TV. A few months ago you were believing in promises for this December! My bet is that a vaccine won't be available until the middle of 2022, and even then we we still be in the shit for ages. Look at other diseases: vaccines do not mean eradication.
  • Options
    It's funny how Golfie is optimistic about the economy and has faith in the markets whatever the situation, whereas in football matters he is so pessimistic.
    I see things getting far far worse in the immediate future with no daylight in sight 
    regarding investments and I don't even want to look at them. 

A vaccine is not on the way. You need to stop believing the TV. A few months ago you were believing in promises for this December! My bet is that a vaccine won't be available until the middle of 2022, and even then we we still be in the shit for ages. Look at other diseases: vaccines do not mean eradication.
    Indeed they don't & the initial take up wont be as high as it should be. But there are many vaccines going through clinical trials at the moment with a few on the last stages of testing. Once they have passed & have been licensed then it will be down to herd immunity to mitigate the spread of the virus. We are not out of the woods by a long shot but I think we can see the sunny uplands over the horizon......🙂

Now if you can just get Macron to drop his demands for fish quotas we might get somewhere to agreeing a trade deal. 
  • Options
    This isn’t the Covid thread chaps ...
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    This isn’t the Covid thread chaps ...
    You might have missed the memo back in  March that sent world stockmarkets plummeting & which has not seen the UK one recover. I think it was headed "Covid-19 shuts down world economies"....
  • Options
    Right then here we go. I've gone for 6450, this time we have 24 punters and one IFA, all trying to beat the chimpanzees. The average, (consensus?) comes out at 6379, median almost the same at 6397. Here's the list, optimists first. I've got them in a spread so if anyone sees a mistake, do please shout.

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

TelMc32            5960

Fortune 82nd Minute          5980

Closed 5582 Last night 
  • Options
    Mostly optimists weren't we!

At this level i'm buying UK again. 
  • Options
    I’ve always been a naive optimist, 6750 is a long way away, currently 5560 Oct 30th 0857 hr’s 😳😳
  • Options
    Can I cash out?