Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• I'm declaring myself the winner.
    If it's good enough for the POTUS   :smile:
  • I'm declaring myself the winner.
    If it's good enough for the POTUS   :smile:
    "This is a fraaauud...on the Charlton Life public"
  • Printed 6552.59 on my screen and futures continuing to slide.  Can't see it getting down to 6232 in a half day session though ....
    Could be setting up for a cliffhanger result though..surprised it's drifting down when Dow is on the way up, but I'm just a mug punter... ;)
    5505 at the US close.  Pound continuing to rise and the lockdown extended to pretty much anyone outside of the Scilly Isles!

So, will it be last minute window dressing to push things up or some more Covid nerves .....
  • Printed 6552.59 on my screen and futures continuing to slide.  Can't see it getting down to 6232 in a half day session though ....
    Could be setting up for a cliffhanger result though..surprised it's drifting down when Dow is on the way up, but I'm just a mug punter... ;)
    5505 at the US close.  Pound continuing to rise and the lockdown extended to pretty much anyone outside of the Scilly Isles!

So, will it be last minute window dressing to push things up or some more Covid nerves .....
     Used to be that dealers would be "squaring their books" on the last day of the year and would often see the Index rise. Not so sure this year though. 
  • Just found out that Baillie Gifford funds are available on my Saxo offshore platform. I have a bit of money sitting in Natwest earning nothing and just doing some basic research they really do seem to outperform the market very well and certainly better than the Brooks MacDonald funds where most of my pension sits. They're a little bit expensive to buy compared to an ETF but it looks like the results will be worthwhile, unless the market collapses. Thanks to those recommending and although the growth has been high, there's definitely potential for further growth. Wish I'd looked months ago!

So, first job for 2021 is to top up the Saxo account and invest. Hopefully I can enter the FTSE competition for 2021 to join in the end of year fun.

• Just got a whole lot more interesting...... 6455....,
  • Actually, looking forward, punters, what about the next competition? I guess we are settled on FTSE100 as the index, but what about the question of 6 months vs one year as the time span? Good arguments for either..

Meanwhile, looking at the opening today...err.... ;)
  • Bollocks, bloody FTSE another race not won 😩😩😩😩
  • well that buggered my chances 😀, I thought there might have been a slight drop but didn’t expect so large a fall.
  • well that buggered my chances 😀, I thought there might have been a slight drop but didn’t expect so large a fall.
    Still time for an adjustment. Other European markets such as DAX didnt open on such a large fall. On the other hand if it keeps falling I’ve got @Rob7Lee waiting to pounce...
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually, looking forward, punters, what about the next competition? I guess we are settled on FTSE100 as the index, but what about the question of 6 months vs one year as the time span? Good arguments for either..

6 months.  3 months?  Can't wait another year for this fun.  If the tracking is onerous, we could round robin that, Prague.
  • We could do it quarterly for 2021. 6 months or 12 very easy to lose interest. Could then also have an annual winner totting up all quarters scores? Bit of a league table as we go, happy to do the leg work/spreadsheet.
  • The only thing I would say about shorter timespans is that this time round at least we've possibly created something of genuine value for the CL investment community; not so much about the competition itself but the sharing of thoughts about what might influence the index in the coming period. That could help people with their real investments - certainly helps me. Quarterly, I'm not sure how I would evaluate the outlook. If we do a year, we could compare ourselves to the "professionals"

That said, this one wasn't a year, it was actually four and a half months. As was the previous one, more or less

Some combo of the above, probably. More views?

I wouldn't say tracking was in any way onerous, but what I set up is clunky, and I'm sure several of you would do it better.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    We could do it quarterly for 2021. 6 months or 12 very easy to lose interest. Could then also have an annual winner totting up all quarters scores? Bit of a league table as we go, happy to do the leg work/spreadsheet.
    Got my blessings, great idea #Rob7Lee
  • FFS!!! STOP SELLING, DAMN IT >:)
  • 6435- 6549, it's mine
    6409-6435 it's @Rob7Lee
    below 6409 it opens up for @RalphMilne to steal in for a Naby Sarr style winner

The above possibly subject to decimal points to determine the exact winner.

Good game, lorra fun
  • FFS!!! STOP SELLING, DAMN IT >:)

It's good for those holding cash to invest - not just yet though.
  • Here comes the bounce.  Pound dropping, US futures picking up.

Good fun as you say. Personally, I'd prefer any future competitions to be over a 6 month period because if you do it over 3 months, it could become a bit too much and presumably movements over a 3 month period are going to be relatively minor unless you have a major panic or a major uplift. So a small 5-10% guess either way probably isn't going to be far out. 6 months gives a greater scope for major changes which might need greater expertise (luck?) to predict. But happy with whatever you decide.

Another competition you might care to run is when will the FTSE go back to its January peak of 7674. On 31 December 1999, the FTSE hit a peak and then immediately went into a steep decline. It took 14 or 15 years to regain that peak. Will it take that long this time?

Finally, thanks to everyone who has offered advice (sorry, not advice , thoughts!) on this thread. I'm still in a state of shock by how much my Baillee Gifford funds have gone up by this year - if anyone would like to pontificate on whether now is the time to sell, or at least take some profits, I'd be interested in views. Or should I sit tight and hope for similar in 2021? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Here comes the bounce.  Pound dropping, US futures picking up.
    Aaaaargh! This is too much. I'm off out for a walk and some Vitamin D

Good fun as you say. Personally, I'd prefer any future competitions to be over a 6 month period because if you do it over 3 months, it could become a bit too much and presumably movements over a 3 month period are going to be relatively minor unless you have a major panic or a major uplift. So a small 5-10% guess either way probably isn't going to be far out. 6 months gives a greater scope for major changes which might need greater expertise (luck?) to predict. But happy with whatever you decide.

Another competition you might care to run is when will the FTSE go back to its January peak of 7674. On 31 December 1999, the FTSE hit a peak and then immediately went into a steep decline. It took 14 or 15 years to regain that peak. Will it take that long this time?

Finally, thanks to everyone who has offered advice (sorry, not advice , thoughts!) on this thread. I'm still in a state of shock by how much my Baillee Gifford funds have gone up by this year - if anyone would like to pontificate on whether now is the time to sell, or at least take some profits, I'd be interested in views. Or should I sit tight and hope for similar in 2021? 
    Well I bought on the last dip just three months ago and they are already delivering double digit growth. Unless you need cash, why sell, and where else would you put it? Or another way to think of it. The reasons why you bought them at the time. Do they still apply? If yes, then hold. That's how i look at it, anyway. I'm more worried about my tech stuff but even there, there are a lot of voices arguing that they should still do well, because the main current threats (legislation) will be hard to enact.
  • 6471.9 on my screen
  • edited December 2020
    Congrats Prague on winning our bet. 
  • @PragueAddick I think the 'mug punter' ruse is now exposed!

Who are you really, I think we should be told!
  • Surely this is only open to UK residents & expats have to forfeit their winnings...😄. 
  • edited December 2020
    It's still trading? 
  • It's still trading? 
    12.30 finish on NYE? I think!
  • I think my tracker app has a delay, as does the FT. It seems to have stopped at 6471,90, as @WishIdStayedinthePub said above. That's it then?

Give me time for my turkey sarnie and I'll whack up the full results.
  • edited December 2020
    6,460.52 is the finish I believe. You were even closer!

Don't act like you don't know that, at the LSE on your Bloomberg terminal though ;-)

Congratulations.