Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Very happy finishing 8th. 
    Now to try and beat it.
  • I would not have made the top 25 if I'd been included here
  • Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Yes I confirm I have those two logged...can you easily slot them in @Rob7Lee?
    Sure;

Bang average, story of my life. 
    That's unusual, @TelMc32 sitting next to me. 😂
    Ha! This is what a career looking after Partnerships & not corporates does to you. Need to pay more attention this year 😄
  • edited January 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Just tweaking my formula 
    Isn’t that the formula for defending a one goal lead ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    Just tweaking my formula 
    No, it doesn’t work out.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Just tweaking my formula 

No need to tweak mine - I'm happy with its predictive ability.

Untitled  Hannibal Coin Toss

• bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Just tweaking my formula 

No need to tweak mine - I'm happy with its predictive ability.

Untitled  Hannibal Coin Toss

Mine was old school.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Just tweaking my formula 
    No, it doesn’t work out.
    It does when you turn the blackboard over to the continuation calculation that concludes with the answer ‘score another goal’
  • Sponsored links:

• Just wondering should there be a closing date for this? 
  • Rob7Lee said:

So onto the 2021 challenge/competition. What will the FTSE 100 be on 30th June 2021?

Shall we say closing date a week today, 7th Jan?

• edited January 2021
    Keep them coming, and would you believe two people have so far guessed the same number! 11 People up so far.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Keep them coming, and would you believe two people have so far guessed the same number! 11 People up so far.
    What’s this for? A quarter? The year?
  • edited January 2021
    So onto the 2021 challenge/competition. What will the FTSE 100 be on 30th June 2021?

Shall we say closing date a week today, 7th Jan?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    What’s this for? A quarter? The year?
    As above 30th June, we'll do another 31/12 at mid year point.

Thanks to those so far, namely;

oohaahmortimer
    Thread Killer
    No.1 in South London
    blackpool72
    CharltonKerry
    HardyAddick
    Rob7Lee
    Covered End
    valleynick66
    Huskaris
    bobmunro
    MrOneLung
    fat man on a moped

• I see Prague is keeping his powder dry and researching until last possible moment 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi @Rob7Lee

I think it is a bit of a shame that you have done this this way, and I didn't even get the chance to discuss it. 

As I mentioned a couple of times, i think this competition has been helpful to everyone beyond the competitive element, namely the element of discussing openly the issues which we think might affect the index. This would especially help those who come on here quite unsure about investing and looking to learn something. If they are getting into investing, especially with funds, such discussion can help shpae their views, rather than just piling into fund names we toss out there. You've taken that away and even made the forecasts themselves 'covert'.

And did enough people get a chance to express their view on the interval (3/4/6/12 months)? 

I'm sorry, I don't like this at all. Apart from anything else I fear it perpetuates the perception among Lifers that this thread is full of well-off people being very smug and full of themselves.

I'm willing to be persuaded but right now I feel I'll give this a miss.
  • edited January 2021
    What a load of bull, just because you can't take control.
    You can discuss anything you want exactly the same.
    That post is the definition of self righteousness.
  • Hi @Rob7Lee

I think it is a bit of a shame that you have done this this way, and I didn't even get the chance to discuss it. 

As I mentioned a couple of times, i think this competition has been helpful to everyone beyond the competitive element, namely the element of discussing openly the issues which we think might affect the index. This would especially help those who come on here quite unsure about investing and looking to learn something. If they are getting into investing, especially with funds, such discussion can help shpae their views, rather than just piling into fund names we toss out there. You've taken that away and even made the forecasts themselves 'covert'.

And did enough people get a chance to express their view on the interval (3/4/6/12 months)? 

I'm sorry, I don't like this at all. Apart from anything else I fear it perpetuates the perception among Lifers that this thread is full of well-off people being very smug and full of themselves.

This is a bit of fun and should not, nor will it, detract from the primary benefits of this thread.
  • edited January 2021
    Sorry if this isn't the place, my grandfather who was always the go to for investment as he worked at the LSE recently passed and I as the most like minded in the family have been given all of his assets, is there any hard reading you could recommend to help me get my head around it all. (understand the basics) 
  • edited January 2021
    Hi @Rob7Lee

Sorry you feel like that Richard, it's just a bit of fun as said, we'll all still discuss savings and investments and at most i'll post up the scores at the end of a month if desired.

EDIT, think it was also yourself who wasn't keen on 3 months?
  • LTKapal said:
    Sorry if this isn't the place, my grandfather who was always the go to for investment as he worked at the LSE recently passed and I as the most like minded in the family have been given all of his assets, is there any hard reading you could recommend to help me get my head around it all. (understand the basics) 
    This is the place!

What sort of assets are we talking about, all individual shares? or is it wide ranging like gold etc.
  • I am glad @PragueAddick has spoken up as I was a bit 🤔 earlier when I saw your original post @Rob7Lee. No offence but I was going to suggest a quarterly competition as I feel 6 months is a bit long in terms of market movements, especially in these somewhat uncertain terms. However, I'm happy to go with 6 months if that is what the majority prefers. The reason I haven't put in my prediction yet is that we have until the 7th & I want to gauge things first before diving straight in. Also, being a "professional" I feel I have a bit of pride at stake & don't want to look a chump predicting something rather outlandish. 

As for @PragueAddick's other points. I don't feel other CL's see us as well off or full of themselves......far from it. I get a lot of enjoyment passing on my knowledge (even though I have recently been "used" and may have to alter my approach from now on) and believe most posters on here are general run of the mill Joe public who just want a bit of guidance in the tricky world of pensions & investment. 
  • LTKapal said:
    I'm a bit biased so will stay out of this discussion......apart from saying the is no harm is speaking to a financial adviser.