Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Huskaris said:
    6,460.52 is the finish I believe. You were even closer!

Don't act like you don't know that, at the LSE on your Bloomberg terminal though ;-)

Congratulations. 
    Thanks. Honestly, I'm mystified. It's also the first time I can remember finishing first in anything, except in bed!

Anyway, don't forget our bet ;) but I decided that if I win I'd cough up something too, for CACT, as I need to pay in memory of Steve Clarke, which I have not yet done, so I'll double it.
  • Yes, settled at 6460.52
  • Huskaris said:

Don't act like you don't know that, at the LSE on your Bloomberg terminal though ;-)

Congratulations. 
    Thanks. Honestly, I'm mystified. It's also the first time I can remember finishing first in anything, except in bed!

Anyway, don't forget our bet ;) but I decided that if I win I'd cough up something too, for CACT, as I need to pay in memory of Steve Clarke, which I have not yet done, so I'll double it.
    Go back onto the last page, already done :-).
  • Congrats Prague a deserved winner, best wishes all for 2021 let’s hope it’s a good one on & off the field 🤙🤣🤣
  • Congratulations to Prague and the other 10 that beat me.
  • OK, will have to do this in bits. like I said, pretty clunky as spreadsheets not my forte

Here is what I think is the most important result.

For all 27 of us as a group the median accuracy was 97.8%, and average accuracy was 98.3%. 

That is remarkably impressive, is it not?
  • Well done Prague

Just wish I had spare cash to follow all the advice I read on this thread.
  • OK, will have to do this in bits. like I said, pretty clunky as spreadsheets not my forte

For all 27 of us as a group the median accuracy was 97.8%, and average accuracy was 98.3%. 

The modern equivalent of the village elders estimating the weight of a cow for sale
  • Needed a worse day to get down to my level. But, congrats to winner. 
  • So Top 5, accuracy % vs final index figure 6461, followed by O (Optimistic) or P (Pessimistic). All the Top 5 were on the pessimistic side

1.PragueAddick

6450 99.8% P

2.Rob7Lee

6420 99.4% P

3.RalphMilne

6397 99.0% P

4.Exiled in Manchester

6320 97.8% P

5.happy valley

6299 97.5% P

• Sponsored links:

• @Covered End, if you have a spread of the results of the whole 27, and it's postable on here, please go ahead, as I'm drowning in clunk. I'll go make a cuppa and brag to my wife.

Congrats. I will now be following your tips, not Golfie's, in future!

Before you put the results up - which will show me hopelessly adrift - can I please say that years of disappointment in following Charlton have turned me into a complete pessimist that is also now reflected in my reading of the stock market.

• Huskaris said:

Congratulations. 
    Correct, it was close..... but no Cigar.......... I still think it should have been like the price is right, not a penny over allowed  :D
  • Congratulations to Prague and the other 10 that beat me.

Not sure how many were in the competition - let's call it 'x'.

Congratulations to Prague and the other (x-2) that beat me.
  • edited December 2020
    See below

• Rob7Lee said:
    Here you go;

Steward's objection.

Where's my 5980 entry and @TelMc32  one of 5960.

We were late entries but accepted by Prague and our "achievements" deserve to be recognised!
  • Yes I confirm I have those two logged...can you easily slot them in @Rob7Lee?
  • edited December 2020
    Yes I confirm I have those two logged...can you easily slot them in @Rob7Lee?
    Sure;

• Rob7Lee said:
    Sure;

Bang average, story of my life. 
  • edited December 2020
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Sure;

Bang average, story of my life. 
    That's unusual, @TelMc32 sitting next to me. 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• At least I was 2nd in the optimistic stakes. Not  often you can say that !!
  • At least I wasn’t relegated. Always pessimistic but glad I was wrong. 
  • At least I wasn’t relegated. Always pessimistic but glad I was wrong. 
    Bottom two relegated?
  • Congrats Prague.

The fall today put me back in the top 10.  Small consolation to a drop in my portfolio. 
  • Congrats Prague.

The fall today put me back in the top 10.  Small consolation to a drop in my portfolio. 
    I'm sure our portfolios will look a fair bit better this time next year

Happy New Year to all punters (and optimistic IFAs  ;)
  • Happy New Year everyone and congratulations to Prague!

Mid table mediocrity for me but I'm looking to freshen things up in the January window!
  • I guess I should explain myself. :#

My prediction was based on:

1. No proven vaccine being found by year-end and the associated longer-term impact on the global economy, austerity, unemployment, loan defaults, etc.

I was wrong on the vaccine element - that was a 50/50 punt as I saw it and I looked the wrong way. The longer-term fallout is still to be seen if/when the props are removed.

2. The beginnings of a commercial & residential property market crash in the developed world and mortgage defaults galore.

The big unravel doesn't seem to be happening yet, certainly not on the residential side in the southeast!

3. An overdue crash in the US stock market having a ripple-effect over here.

I thought a US crash was long overdue even before the pandemic. It sort-of happened in March but this was due to pandemic-related uncertainty, and since then the market bounced back. I think we still have this correction to come, but 'properly' next time.
  • I guess I should explain myself. :#

My prediction was based on:

1. No proven vaccine being found by year-end and the associated longer-term impact on the global economy, austerity, unemployment, loan defaults, etc.

I was wrong on the vaccine element - that was a 50/50 punt as I saw it and I looked the wrong way. The longer-term fallout is still to be seen if/when the props are removed.

2. The beginnings of a commercial & residential property market crash in the developed world and mortgage defaults galore.

The big unravel doesn't seem to be happening yet, certainly not on the residential side in the southeast!

3. An overdue crash in the US stock market having a ripple-effect over here.

I thought a US crash was long overdue even before the pandemic. It sort-of happened in March but this was due to pandemic-related uncertainty, and since then the market bounced back. I think we still have this correction to come, but 'properly' next time.
    In line with your "thoughts" my prediction was based on the following (which was garnered from various different investment webinars)

1) A vaccine would be rolled our before the end if the year. I posted this "fact" back in September but was scoffed at (mostly by @Jimmymelrose).

2) The Government have done all they can (and more) to stop people losing their jobs. Then there was the stamp duty holiday & the fact that Brexit had also "frozen" the housing market. You wont be seeing reposssions anytime soon. 

3) I agree the US looks overheated, but the UK is still well below where it was in February and even further below where it should be, pound for pound, compared to many other leading Indices. 
  • Seems fair to me, I’m in.