Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Woke up to the news on the BBC that European market futures are 'surging'. FTSE 100 currently at 6503. Nah, that's not a 'surge'. I'm afraid that's it, punters. That's yer Brexit Bounce. 

Never mind. I was just looking back on the Excel of your forecasts. The median prediction across 27 punters was 6320. Right now it looks to me like the CL S&I thread is gonna show up a few experts..

If you held decent investments this year, you have to be thankful. And if you and yours are healthy, even more so. Wish you all a very nice Christmas. 
    I still think there's some doubt around this deal which is holding back the surge.  The pound strengthening doesn't help, so you may see it more in the 250.  Add in US markets' end of year surge, window dressing and start of month cash flows and I think there's plenty to come.  But any wobble in sentiment and 6232 is still on!

Have a good, if quiet, break everyone and thanks for organising this 'competition' again, @PragueAddick!
  • I agree, the FTSE100 would "surge" more on a no deal. The FTSE250 or Allshare is your friend if there is a good trade deal.

FWIW. FTSE100 closed today at 12.30pm so same again on the 31st I would think. Now sitting at 6502. My 6666 is looking good if there are no major disasters over the next week. 
  • Just calculating the gain on my SIPP this year. Sadly I didn't record a value for Jan 1st but have statements for Nov 2019 & early Feb this year.

Up 21.3% since Feb 4th & up 27.4% since Nov 2019. Not bad in a pandemic where worldwide economies have shut down & Governments have been borrowing billions.
  • Just calculating the gain on my SIPP this year. Sadly I didn't record a value for Jan 1st but have statements for Nov 2019 & early Feb this year.

Up 21.3% since Feb 4th & up 27.4% since Nov 2019. Not bad in a pandemic where worldwide economies have shut down & Governments have been borrowing billions.
    Thats a really good return, but this year more than most it does depend on the date you go from, if I take my tax year statement i'm up about 36% since April, think it's more like yours from turn of the year, i.e. nearly 25% I think.

Overall it's been a good investment year, i'm even above the FTSE level on those dodgy structured products I got sold  :D
  • I factored in an expected rise between Xmas and New Year, when many people are hoping for a good new year.
    So I was hoping for around 6500/6600 on Xmas eve for a 6700 finish. It's still possible as the market closed before the Brexit deal was announced.
  • My SIPP is up about 12% from 1st Feb which considering the circumstances I’m very happy about. It’s also worth remembering that some of us may have a lower risk appetite than others and so gains might not be so great.
  • My SIPP is up about 12% from 1st Feb which considering the circumstances I’m very happy about. It’s also worth remembering that some of us may have a lower risk appetite than others and so gains might not be so great.
    Nor losses when they happen! 12% is still a very good return.
  • I invested in March & April when the majority were selling, it's never yet failed me.
  • Christmas Eve our key index finished at 6503. Now it's at ..6502. Hard to see now what might move it more than 30 points either way. Maybe the green light for the A-Z vaccine..

I find it really interesting to see how it pans out this time, with so many more people taking part. If we stopped it today on 6502, no less than six punters would have predicted the closing figure with an accuracy rate of more than 97.0%. 
  • Christmas Eve our key index finished at 6503. Now it's at ..6502. Hard to see now what might move it more than 30 points either way. Maybe the green light for the A-Z vaccine..

I find it really interesting to see how it pans out this time, with so many more people taking part. If we stopped it today on 6502, no less than six punters would have predicted the closing figure with an accuracy rate of more than 97.0%. 
    The market hasn't been open since Christmas eve closure? Well not until just over an hours time. Think you've looked at two places Christmas eve price, one rounds up one rounds down!

I don't think they'll be a huge move, but quite possible a 100-200 point swing the last few days.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    It'll probably open up (for the first time since the deal was official on Christmas Eve) today around half a percent up, I would think/hope. 
  • Ftse valued at 6593 with IG 
  • Ftse valued at 6593 with IG 
    Nice! Guessing they do it based on out of hours futures trading? 
  • edited December 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    Christmas Eve our key index finished at 6503. Now it's at ..6502. Hard to see now what might move it more than 30 points either way. Maybe the green light for the A-Z vaccine..

The market hasn't been open since Christmas eve closure? Well not until just over an hours time. Think you've looked at two places Christmas eve price, one rounds up one rounds down!

I don't think they'll be a huge move, but quite possible a 100-200 point swing the last few days.
    I was watching it on the stocks app on my iPhone. I did think it looked odd, but it also seemed to be tracking hourly prices. So why was it not open on Monday 28th December? 

It's opened nearly 2% higher, in line with global markets. That suddenly takes it into Golfie territory in terms of the competition winners...
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Christmas Eve our key index finished at 6503. Now it's at ..6502. Hard to see now what might move it more than 30 points either way. Maybe the green light for the A-Z vaccine..

I was watching it on the stocks app on my iPhone. I did think it looked odd, but it also seemed to be tracking hourly prices. So why was it not open on Monday 28th December? 

It's opened nearly 2% higher, in line with global markets. That suddenly takes it into Golfie territory in terms of the competition winners...
    Bank holiday
  • I think you have your surge, Prague.  More US stimulus announced overnight as well so could go a little further before any pull backs.
  • Huskaris said:
    Ftse valued at 6593 with IG 
    Nice! Guessing they do it based on out of hours futures trading? 
    Years back when I used to punt it horrendously it was based on what the Dow had done .
    No idea now what the futures hours are regarding the ftse 
    just see 6666 value the devils work 
  • US market opened strongly yesterday then dropped back almost to where it was. Nasdaq ended down. Hopefully back up today.
  • 6653  up 2.43%.

Golfie leading, I'm 2nd.
  • 6653  up 2.43%.

Golfie leading, I'm 2nd.
    cream always rises to the top

• Sponsored links:

• 6750 now a possibility if BJ & MHRA get the Az vaccine approved before end of year market closure (48.5 hours away) 😄🙏🤞🤞👍
  • 6653  up 2.43%.

Golfie leading, I'm 2nd.
    cream always rises to the top

Now Golfie, mate you are a Charlton fan, so you really ought to know that it ain’t over til the fat lady sings. We havent even reached 90 mins yet, let alone 90+4...😉

I agree that a lot depends on how the Dow does this afternoon. Lets suppose it runs out of steam. Tomorrow the bright but cloistered kids will return to their desks, perhaps resolving to ease off the coke, and now they are hearing, record Covid cases, NHS overwhelmed, emerging understanding of just how massive the logistic challenge of vaccinating the world is, and they think, oh, hang on. That’s how they work, right, the “markets”...? And then the FTSE will be heading back to 6500, where a few punters are lying in wait...

And no, @Huskaris, I don’t want to double my bet with you on that scenario happening. 

Good game, lorra fun🤣
  • 6653  up 2.43%.

Golfie leading, I'm 2nd.
    I am just glad I got it wrong!!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Bank holiday
    Yep, too late I realised that. Often get thrown by that, living in a country where, if a State holiday falls on a weekend, well, tough luck.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Bank holiday
    Yep, too late I realised that. Often get thrown by that, living in a country where, if a State holiday falls on a weekend, well, tough luck.
    I'm surprised the EU haven't standardised all public holidays......they have pretty much done eveththing else.
  • edited December 2020
    6602 at close.

CharltonKerry leading, Golfie & CE in silver & bronze.
    (Kerry was leading this morning but I misread his prediction on my phone).
  • Don’t worry it won’t last, I had a tip a few years ago (in my defence it was probably inside trading) to buy an unknown company shares @45p and sell when they reached £25.50, firstly I didn’t have any money then, second I mentioned to two people who sold around £10, thirdly for those who don’t know they peaked at around £29 this year. The company was called ocado, but to be fair they given my company well in excess of £25million of work, so perhaps I was correct. That’s the only time I had any advice on shares.
  • Dow edging down slowly today so far. Just sayin'.....

Strangely, nobody went for a figure in 6500-6600 range, even though there are several punters (plus the IFA) 100 above or below.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Bank holiday
    I'm surprised the EU haven't standardised all public holidays......they have pretty much done eveththing else.
    You left, get over it  ;)
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Bank holiday
    You left, get over it  ;)
    It wasn't me who didn't realise that yesterday was a BH back here in blighty...😃😃😃