Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• cafcpolo said:
    Give @kentaddick a break please people, he has always been the one from the CryptoLifers most willing to take time to share what he knows, and has never given it the biggun, whereas a couple of years ago some others were - and then the whole thread went quiet until recently.

KA I have to tell you that Golfie’s advice, to open a SIPP and invest a regular monthly amount, is the very best advice you can get, even though it looks soooo boring. The way to look at it is not against cryptos but against what you can get from a bank. You could, on one of the big platforms, have a SIPP, and separately a shares and funds account where you could gradually get more adventurous, and learn from inevitable mistakes. You’re even younger than I realised, and if you start now with the SIPP, in the first few years you’ll be unimpressed but after 10 years you’ll be happy with it, and after 30, well smug. And then you can toast the old gits on here who pushed you into it:-)
    Yeah, sounds like pension is the way to go - as I said, got a few k I can use in my ltd company and if I’m correct - you can move money from ltd company into a pension and it comes of your corp tax as an expense? Gonna hang back til March and see what brexit brings my industry, put 4K into my LISA and then put some into my pension. 
    You are correct.

Despite being in crypto, the above is well worth doing. I've been paying into my pension through ltd co quite heavily the last few years and have seen some very good gains. Not crypto worthy % wise but a lot more stable, sensible growth.
    Thanks mate, gonna wait til March time to move quite a bit of money into my LISA and put a wodge into my pension. Hopefully by then we’d know what kind of brexit we’ve got and things will start to reopen thanks to a vaccine and I’ll be feeling less cautious about things for my company. 
  • Not looking too pretty today, glad I cashed in some over the past few weeks. Have a bit over  1/5th of my SIPP in Cash now, was predominantly to transfer the final amounts from Fidelity to ii and took some profit in ii as well.

I was looking so close for the end of year FTSE prediction as well  :disappointed:
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Not looking too pretty today, glad I cashed in some over the past few weeks. Have a bit over  1/5th of my SIPP in Cash now, was predominantly to transfer the final amounts from Fidelity to ii and took some profit in ii as well.

I was looking so close for the end of year FTSE prediction as well  :disappointed:
    same here. I had 6666 & was looking good last week. FTSE100 now below 6400.  Bloody Covid........and the French  !
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Not looking too pretty today, glad I cashed in some over the past few weeks. Have a bit over  1/5th of my SIPP in Cash now, was predominantly to transfer the final amounts from Fidelity to ii and took some profit in ii as well.

same here. I had 6666 & was looking good last week. FTSE100 now below 6400.  Bloody Covid........and the French  !
    Still a chance I’ll make it, 6450 I think I said.

on the plus side I can buy back in at a cheaper rate and might finally be able to dump my metro bank shares for a profit!!
  • Rob7Lee said:

"Events, dear boy, events"

Harold Macmillan.  

(a proper Prime Minister)
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

on the plus side I can buy back in at a cheaper rate and might finally be able to dump my metro bank shares for a profit!!
    Just sold my Metro Bank holding not a too shabby 22% return, cashed profit and used original capital sum to buy into COPL, should see a nice return, fingers crossed in 4-6 months 🤞🤞👍👍
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Brought forward for those interested. 

• Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Not in the slightest bit interested ;-)
  • 6420, it’s in the bag!!!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Just sold my Metro Bank holding not a too shabby 22% return, cashed profit and used original capital sum to buy into COPL, should see a nice return, fingers crossed in 4-6 months 🤞🤞👍👍
    I bought at a few different prices, 1.13 was break even, might sell tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    6420, it’s in the bag!!!
    It would be if the comp had been to close of play today. FTSE100 finished at 6416. Unfortunately for you we have another 10 days to go. And the market often has a little rally towards the end of the year so I'm expecting 6500+. 
  • I think this year could be the year of no rally. Can't see over 6,500.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I think this year could be the year of no rally. Can't see over 6,500.
     I agree. The markets drift up after Christmas because they are all off work grazing and counting their bonuses. This year they will all have to stay alert. 

I’m sitting at 6450, I respectfully remind you...but anything could happen. More likely bad...
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I think this year could be the year of no rally. Can't see over 6,500.
     I agree. The markets drift up after Christmas because they are all off work grazing and counting their bonuses. This year they will all have to stay alert. 

I’m sitting at 6450, I respectfully remind you...but anything could happen. More likely bad...
    Really thought I was looking good. Devastated. 
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Gents proposal, as it’s the season of goodwill, due to all this C19, tiers & Brexit Trade Deal malarkey, can this be deferred for 4 weeks, nothing to do at all with my 6750 prediction, honestly  😳🤥🤥
  • Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Gents proposal, as it’s the season of goodwill, due to all this C19, tiers & Brexit Trade Deal malarkey, can this be deferred for 4 weeks, nothing to do at all with my 6750 prediction, honestly  😳🤥🤥

A deal with the EU (no EU deals get done until the last minute anyway so anything before then isn’t a ‘no deal’ it’s a negotiation process leading to the inevitable compromise), the French and others back down on the own goal of a UK blockade and approval for the Oxford Astra Zeneca Covid vaccine and your 6,750 prediction won’t look too shabby.
  • I agree its far from over. 

Now then, what time does the LSE actually close on 31st, anyone know?
  • I agree its far from over. 

Now then, what time does the LSE actually close on 31st, anyone know?
    Usually 12.30 or 1pm. 
  • Everything to play for.

Covid Mutation, Brexit, Santa Rally, Buy the Rumour Sell the Fact Stimulus ... could go anywhere.
  • Well, this is exciting...6,442. Edging down, while tech laden indices move up. 

If it stays around this level then the eventual winner will be very close indeed to the actual closing figure as several of us are bunched around 6400-6500.

If the LSE closes lunchtime on NYE, I should be able to get the results up failry sharpish and someone can break out more bubbly in the evening
  • Sponsored links:

• Not that I'm clutching at straws (!) but the 55d ma is moving up about 9 points a day at the moment.  If the FTSE drops that will be a resistance point and will be sitting around 6235 at the time ....

I think it could still be anywhere in the 6000-6600 range.
  • Not that I'm clutching at straws (!) but the 55d ma is moving up about 9 points a day at the moment.  If the FTSE drops that will be a resistance point and will be sitting around 6235 at the time ....

You wot?  ;)

Sounds like something off the crypto thread :) Can you enlighten a mug punter?
  • edited December 2020
    I still think it can make it to 6600-6700. 

More in hope than expectation though I must say. 
  • edited December 2020
    Not that I'm clutching at straws (!) but the 55d ma is moving up about 9 points a day at the moment.  If the FTSE drops that will be a resistance point and will be sitting around 6235 at the time ....

You wot?  ;)

55 day moving average. Usually a way of showing where the market has been over a set period of time (in this case 55 days) and averaging out the highs & lows to give a basic trend. I think @WishIdStayedinthePub was saying (in modern day parlance) that the FTSE is trending upwards at around 9 points per day & so should end the year around 6500. 

The only problem is that it really doesn't take into account major factors such as a trade deal being agreed (or not), borders being closed or Covid mutating into a even nastier bugger.
  • Fair cop, @PragueAddick!

The '55 day moving average' is one of a few that people track.  There will often be resistance or support in that area depending if you are coming from below or above respectively.

Happy to bore you with others (the 200 day is the one that I think is relevant for investors and is currently tilting upwards just above 6000) - let me know.
  • Be very interesting to see where FTSE finishes up tomorrow, loads of rumours circulating that a deal has been Brokered, although a normally quiet half day Crimbo Eve, a BREXIT deal  will lead to a lively 3-4 hours on the markets.   Currently  6496. 

Seasonal regards all. 

You wot?  ;)

55 day moving average. Usually a way of showing where the market has been over a set period of time (in this case 55 days) and averaging out the highs & lows to give a basic trend. I think @WishIdStayedinthePub was saying (in modern day parlance) that the FTSE is trending upwards at around 9 points per day & so should end the year around 6500. 

The only problem is that it really doesn't take into account major factors such as a trade deal being agreed (or not), borders being closed or Covid mutating into a even nastier bugger.
    Not quite.  The 55 day moving average is trending up 9 points a day.  As it is likely to be an area of support (in this case), if the price drops, it may not move through it immediately and may hold in that area or bounce from there.  It's a long shot but just trying to work out how I could win :-)  

There is still a huge range of 6-6600 that it could end up in, given all the factors involved.  I don't think this evening's news will be the end of the volatility either!
  • Woke up to the news on the BBC that European market futures are 'surging'. FTSE 100 currently at 6503. Nah, that's not a 'surge'. I'm afraid that's it, punters. That's yer Brexit Bounce. 

Never mind. I was just looking back on the Excel of your forecasts. The median prediction across 27 punters was 6320. Right now it looks to me like the CL S&I thread is gonna show up a few experts..

If you held decent investments this year, you have to be thankful. And if you and yours are healthy, even more so. Wish you all a very nice Christmas. 
  • Woke up to the news on the BBC that European market futures are 'surging'. FTSE 100 currently at 6503. Nah, that's not a 'surge'. I'm afraid that's it, punters. That's yer Brexit Bounce. 

Never mind. I was just looking back on the Excel of your forecasts. The median prediction across 27 punters was 6320. Right now it looks to me like the CL S&I thread is gonna show up a few experts..

If you held decent investments this year, you have to be thankful. And if you and yours are healthy, even more so. Wish you all a very nice Christmas
    And to you Richard. It's certainly going to be close in the final table.

Assume the is like the price is right where you can't go a penny over  :D