Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro

Mronelung

gunnessaddick

LargeAddick

Huskaris

meldrew66

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

RalphMilne

Exiledin Manchester

happy valley

blackpool72

StrikerFirmani

WishIdStayedInThe Pub

wwaddick

HardyAddick

CAFCsayer

Salad

oohaahmortimer

Gary Poole

Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 

Brought forward for those interested. 

Gents proposal, as it’s the season of goodwill, due to all this C19, tiers & Brexit Trade Deal malarkey, can this be deferred for 4 weeks, nothing to do at all with my 6750 prediction, honestly  😳🤥🤥

A deal with the EU (no EU deals get done until the last minute anyway so anything before then isn’t a ‘no deal’ it’s a negotiation process leading to the inevitable compromise), the French and others back down on the own goal of a UK blockade and approval for the Oxford Astra Zeneca Covid vaccine and your 6,750 prediction won’t look too shabby.
    Should be an interesting morning...
  • I haven’t been this bullish since I tipped off Fred Goodwin about sub prime mortgages in the US. 
  • Just under 12 hours left for 2020 (Markets) excitement reaching fever pitch down here in Tropical Daarrzzet, come on FTSE up you go 😜😜 
  • Just under 12 hours left for 2020 (Markets) excitement reaching fever pitch down here in Tropical Daarrzzet, come on FTSE up you go 😜😜 
    Opened flat, apparently unimpressed by the Astra-Zeneca announcement, I suppose they'd already assumed it will be approved and priced it in days ago.
    Opened flat, apparently unimpressed by the Astra-Zeneca announcement, I suppose they'd already assumed it will be approved and priced it in days ago.
    Edging even closer to my 6666. 
    Edging even closer to my 6666. 
    Do you wear Prada?
  • Still in the running but fear I’ll fail at the last hurdle:

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

• Pleased my prediction of 6250 was way low, hope it keeps going up to the highest prediction.  
  • Pleased my prediction of 6250 was way low, hope it keeps going up to the highest prediction.  
    +1
  • edited December 2020
    Over the New Years lockdown weekend i'm going to review my SIPP funds/investments,

Any new tips on funds to look into that people have found this year?

EDIT; here's my split currently, a but overweight in Americas although thats done me OK this year.

• Sponsored links:

• Nothing happening now to FTSE, Dow expected to open modestly up, I think its all over for those of us below 6500.
  • Nothing happening now to FTSE, Dow expected to open modestly up, I think its all over for those of us below 6500.

I was above 6500 - does that mean I win?

Wibble.
  • bobmunro said:
    Nothing happening now to FTSE, Dow expected to open modestly up, I think its all over for those of us below 6500.

Wibble.
    Depends on whether, they are paying out on an extra place.
  • bobmunro said:
    Nothing happening now to FTSE, Dow expected to open modestly up, I think its all over for those of us below 6500.

Wibble.
    Depends on whether, they are paying out on an extra place.

They will need to pay out on about 8 places for me to cash out.
    Looking like CharltonKerry but still half a day or so to go so could drop to you or go up to Golfie (and we'll never hear the end of that if it does :D ).
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Still in the running but fear I’ll fail at the last hurdle:

Daarrrzzettbum

Covered End

golfaddick

CharltonKerry

PragueAddick

Rob7Lee

6583 atm.
  • @Rob7Lee

Re funds, apart from the Baillie Gifford funds, three of which I went into thanks to @golfaddick kind reccos, I bought these two funds in several bites in the last 18 months and they have been outstanding:

Janus Henderson Global Sustainable Equity 
    Rathbone Global Sustainability

also in the bond sector Rathbone Ethical Bond has been doing well.
  • edited December 2020

So going back to the competition, and since its so close, and with my dog still in the race, I just want to (again) show up front how I'm going to do the calculation. I'll calculate % vs the final index, either optimistic, currently @Charlton Kerry is the closest, or pessimistic, currently I'm closest. 

Based on 6583, Kerry is exactly 1% optimistic, whereas I am exactly 2% pessimistic. Golfie is 1.3% opt. and @Covered End 1.8% opt @Daarrzzetbum 2.5% opt. 

So on that basis it would be Kerry winning, followed by Golfie, CE, and then me in 4th  and @Rob7Lee just edging out  Daarz in 5th. 

That all good? 

It's not really possible to compare the first competition, as then people plumped for different indices, and some opted for more than one index, a dodgy practice we clamped down on this time. But based on the current top 5, the predictions are much more accurate this time, and I think a bit of a collective triumph for the thread
  • All sounds good, closed today at 6569.04, down 33.61 on the day so getting mighty close! We need a full table mind for the wooden spoon prize :-) heh @bobmunro

• Rob7Lee said:
    All sounds good, closed today at 6569.04, down 33.61 on the day so getting mighty close! We need a full table mind for the wooden spoon prize :-) heh @bobmunro

Too bloody right - I will accept the prize (any prize) with grace and humility.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    All sounds good, closed today at 6569.04, down 33.61 on the day so getting mighty close! We need a full table mind for the wooden spoon prize :-) heh @bobmunro

Are you in a time machine, Rob?  If so, I think you're disqualified!

FTSE just about to close ...
  • Printed 6552.59 on my screen and futures continuing to slide.  Can't see it getting down to 6232 in a half day session though ....
  • Printed 6552.59 on my screen and futures continuing to slide.  Can't see it getting down to 6232 in a half day session though ....
    Could be setting up for a cliffhanger result though..surprised it's drifting down when Dow is on the way up, but I'm just a mug punter... ;)
  • Rob7Lee said:

Are you in a time machine, Rob?  If so, I think you're disqualified!

FTSE just about to close ...
    lol, i can predict the future, or is it a bank holiday  :D

Just need the same drop tomorrow and I could be a winner........
  • FTSE closes around 6552. Now looks like it could be between @CharltonKerry and @PragueAddick. I don't think it's going to climb almost 2% for me to win. Never mind but good comp. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Over the New Years lockdown weekend i'm going to review my SIPP funds/investments,

EDIT; here's my split currently, a but overweight in Americas although thats done me OK this year.

A bit more in China I would say. JP Morgan, Allianz and our old friend Baillee Gifford run pretty decent funds. 
  • FTSE closes around 6552. Now looks like it could be between @CharltonKerry and @PragueAddick. I don't think it's going to climb almost 2% for me to win. Never mind but good comp. 
    Right now our (you and I)  % accuracy is separated by 0.1% !! 

I'd say that with the Dow looking fairly solid Kerry has this in the bag.
  • Rob7Lee said:

A bit more in China I would say. JP Morgan, Allianz and our old friend Baillee Gifford run pretty decent funds. 
    Agree, I have the equivalent of nearly 20% cash incoming from another SIPP so wanted to use that to balance up a bit.
    Right now our (you and I)  % accuracy is separated by 0.1% !! 

I'd say that with the Dow looking fairly solid Kerry has this in the bag.
    Disagree, need a bit of luck to win this, my feeling we are in for another small fall tomorrow. To try to a football twist to it, it’s all to play for and we need to take each hour as it comes and each share must perform 110% for me to prevail, or any other load of cobblers that manager come up with.
  • Still willing to delay for a couple of weeks 🧐🤔🤔