Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pokemon Go...

Comments

• bellz2002 said:

Went into a nightclub on Friday (for first time in several years) and there were loads of youngsters wearing pokemon outfits. Some of them even decided to play the game in the club instead of dancing / drinking / chatting to girls / acting like an idiot.

The moment that really made me question the state of young adults in our nation was when the DJ said to the crowd that he was going to put on the pokemon theme song. All of the crowd (bar my mate and I) then proceeded to sing the theme song at the top of their lungs.

Unbelievable.

Did you go home alone? Cos the Laydees are mad for a Weedle or two
  • bellz2002 said:

Went into a nightclub on Friday (for first time in several years) and there were loads of youngsters wearing pokemon outfits. Some of them even decided to play the game in the club instead of dancing / drinking / chatting to girls / acting like an idiot.

The moment that really made me question the state of young adults in our nation was when the DJ said to the crowd that he was going to put on the pokemon theme song. All of the crowd (bar my mate and I) then proceeded to sing the theme song at the top of their lungs.

Unbelievable.

Surely this is a great position to be in. All the male competition are out the picture catching pokemon.
  • Am I alone in having no idea what the Feck this thread is about !
  • Probably.
  • bellz2002 said:

Unbelievable.

Sounds like you go to awful nightclubs
    Ha well it was in Norwich so say no more!
  • Just launched a few hours ago in Hong Kong, and when I went out for lunch, there were hundreds of people playing.

No wonder Nintendo's shares have risen 120%. Wish I got on that early.
  • edited July 2016
    Possibly getting a bit bored of it already. Reached Level 9 and got a fair few different pokemon but.. It's a bit naff in some ways. Now what? Confused by people who are now like Lvl20 and addicted to it; it's fun and a bit addictive for a few days but then a bit tedious.

I was walking around Crystal Palace park on Saturday and decided to give it a go, and it was quite nice that I saw more of the park via the Pokestops pointing out different statues and features. Similarly I discovered a little war memorial on my road that I'd never seen before. I guess that's the greatest part of the game: you see more of your surroundings.

On the flip side, the game has mugged me off quite funnily by making me walk 4km just for two pokemon that spawn regularly at the end of my drive...
  • Sponsored links:

• What are you looking for when you walk around and how do you know where to go? ive never played Pokémon so I don't have a clue what this is about and I haven't seen anything outside.

I just came to work and there is this object outside our building on a small plinth, so I had to go and google it. Apparently It's a dream jar for the forthcoming BFG movie... and all it reminded me of is Patrick Bauer.
  • Chunes said:

Just launched a few hours ago in Hong Kong, and when I went out for lunch, there were hundreds of people playing.

No wonder Nintendo's shares have risen 120%. Wish I got on that early.

Dropped again after they admitted they don't make much money from it all!
  • Curb_It said:

What are you looking for when you walk around and how do you know where to go? ive never played Pokémon so I don't have a clue what this is about and I haven't seen anything outside.

It’s not working particularly well at the moment. You should be able to determine how close a Pokemon is by the number of footprints next to its image. However, it’s bugged so that everything shows 3 footprints, whether 30 feet or 300 metres away. I think the order changes depending on proximity but it require a lot of (unnecessary) trial and error.

Busy places seem to have more Pokemon compared to quiet residential roads. Where you are also determines what types appear (electric ones near railways, water ones by lakes etc).
  • Curb_It said:

What are you looking for when you walk around and how do you know where to go? ive never played Pokémon so I don't have a clue what this is about and I haven't seen anything outside.

I just came to work and there is this object outside our building on a small plinth, so I had to go and google it. Apparently It's a dream jar for the forthcoming BFG movie... and all it reminded me of is Patrick Bauer.

As RedPanda says, the app provides a way of finding nearby ones but it's a bit screwy at the moment. So it's really pot luck.

Essentially busy places are the key; in Bromley there's loads from Bromley South towards Bromley North and then across through the park. In the park near the lakes you'll get water types of pokemon (think weird ass fish, ducks or turtles), otherwise the park is full of bug types - whilst the high street has the equivelant of rats and pidgeons.

Then there's certain places that you can collect items from to use in the game. If someone is feeling generous they can make these places spawn lots of extra pokemon. For example, the Direct Line offices in Bromley nearly constantly have people outside them at the moment because there's lots of Pokémon being spawned. It's a bit weird to see really.

The app itself is essentially Google Maps with a fancy skin, with the locations marked off and pokemon appearing when you're very close to them.
  • Take advantage while you can.

I used to collect the trading cards some 15 years ago. By coincidence I was clearing out the loft yesterday and found a few old cards. I must have thrown the majority away years ago and just kept the 'shinys'. Had a look on eBay and they're selling like crazy.

100% if I had found them 3 weeks ago they would have been binned. But knowing how crazy Pokemon Go has been the last few weeks I looked online and I'm glad I did.
    Majority of cards are going for £3-£5 but a couple are going for a lot more.
    Charizard for example selling for between £35 and £40, for a poxy bit of card haha.

So if there's any in your loft/garage, get searching.
  • Take advantage while you can.

I used to collect the trading cards some 15 years ago. By coincidence I was clearing out the loft yesterday and found a few old cards. I must have thrown the majority away years ago and just kept the 'shinys'. Had a look on eBay and they're selling like crazy.

100% if I had found them 3 weeks ago they would have been binned. But knowing how crazy Pokemon Go has been the last few weeks I looked online and I'm glad I did.
    Majority of cards are going for £3-£5 but a couple are going for a lot more.
    Charizard for example selling for between £35 and £40, for a poxy bit of card haha.

So if there's any in your loft/garage, get searching.

if you have a first gen "shadowless" (no drop shadow around the picture) charizard you can pocket a grand or so. My sister dug out her card book and we looked into selling some. But tbh they hold more sentimental value than anything really.
  • bellz2002 said:

Unbelievable.

Skeptical at how truthful this story is because it's so f*cking sad.

Assuming everything you've said here is correct which I assume it is. I have no reason to believe your a liar.

Its pretty f*cked up.

If I ever met the creator of Pokemon go I'd punch him in the face.

I generally think this game is a form of very strong influence and possible hypnosis.

Does it contain in app purchases? I'm guessing, maybe not.

People might just be having fun with it, or so they think.

It's probably a deeply researched method of psychological addiction.

It sounds like complete wank.

If children play it, fine. There is an understandable reason for why they might enjoy that. If I was a kid is probably love it.

How it can possibly consume anyone over the age of 15 just sounds very strange and alarming to me, personally.
  • Dave2l said:

bellz2002 said:

Unbelievable.

Assuming everything you've said here is correct which I assume it is. I have no reason to believe your a liar.

Its pretty f*cked up.

I generally think this game is a form of very strong influence and possible hypnosis.

If children play it, fine. There is an understandable reason for why they might enjoy that. If I was a kid is probably love it.

How it can possibly consume anyone over the age of 15 just sounds very strange and alarming to me, personally.
    It's just a game....
  • edited July 2016
    I think it's nice to see everyone heading outside in groups, talking to each other and playing about. I've seen people from our different offices become friends having met each other hunting one in reception. If a person has such a hateworthy gigantic problem with that then it says a lot about a need to be different.

Think on how many millions have spent a month (in hours) of their lives on the sofa watching X Factor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Are Pokemon and Sex mutually exclusive? If so I'm telling the Mrs that. I much prefer a wank anyway....less embarrassing when I only last 22 seconds.
  • Dave2l said:

bellz2002 said:

Unbelievable.

Its pretty f*cked up.

You sound like "I don't like it so no one else should" which is a really sad attitude to life.

The world would be an incredibly boring place if everyone liked all the same things.

You don't like it fine.

Let others enjoy the hypnosis and get out and about and not spend there lives sitting on the couch vegetating.
  • I was going to go out in the campervan with my son (6) today and camp somewhere.

Unfortunately his mum needs him back early tomorrow so we were a bit short of time.

He said he wanted to spend today catching Pokemon. We got up early, packed up the van taking the dogs and drove to Hyde park, parked in the underground parking there and walked down to the serpentine, caught loads of stuff. Spent a good hour there.

Got back to the van just as it was starting to rain. Drove over to Hampstead Heath and parked up near the Spanish Castle. Must have walked around 9k.

Tiredness set in and the dogs were exhausted and hot so we came back to Blackheath for lunch and will be out in Greenwich park this afternoon.

It's been quite a good day. Can't remember going to Hampstead Heath before, certainly not the parts we saw today anyway.
  • Talking of Killer Clowns. Is Pokemon Go still going ? As in loads of young people roaming the streets looking for Pokemon ?
  • Talking of Killer Clowns. Is Pokemon Go still going ? As in loads of young people roaming the streets looking for Pokemon ?

Apparently there's been a few updates and stuff recently. I've tried to take advantage of my lunchtime strolls around Regents Park but I can't log in anymore.

From what I gather it's popularity dropped pretty hard, so some of the updates have modified the game play - making it easier to catch rarer pokemon.

It was a bit bizarre how it was everywhere then suddenly nothing more was heard.
  • edited October 2016
    Oh. I got banned from it.

My own fault to be fair, a bit annoying though.
  • Yeah, I thought the popularity would fade, once the evenings turned chilly.

It's not so much fun strolling around in the cold.
  • edited October 2016
    LuckyReds said:

Oh. I got banned from it.

My own fault to be fair, a bit annoying though.

so did my son, but only a soft bam,,,,,something to do with hacking into an American version, No idea what he was talking about but as we drove from Swanley to The Valley the other week he was telling me he was in LA .

I'm not sure what to male of it all really. I know every generation says the same thing about their generation compared to today's, but I just don't get Pokeman. When I was a teenager in the late 70's & early 80's it was all about music (were you a punk, mod, new romantic etc) and with that the clothes you wore. My kids don't buy any music & there doesn't seem to be any genre's or "types" and certainly no top 10 to record !! Also tried getting my lot into the books I liked to read, but again, nothing doing.

One thing I am pleased about is that it is getting him out & about - spends most of his time walking around the town or the local park and has lost half a stone on the past 3 months - much better than his old dad who spends his time on here.......
  • This is truly an exciting time.

Soon, we'll be introducing our own new app, Charlton Life Go. You'll have the chance to walk around South London capturing and house training little creatures, such as the common Chavspanner and the VirginNigel, the oddball Tonytestie, and the floundering KrabbyKat.

Gotta catch em all!

(In-app purchases will apply. Double.)