Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pokemon Go...

Comments

• Options

Is there a milkman on Pokemon Go because I've just come home and found one on my wife .

Just chuck some Pokeballs at him and he'll cease whatever he's doing.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Someone downloaded for me yesterday, i had a look on lunch and its not all that. Think its the novelty really, i used to like pokemon growing up so thought id have a look. Reckon it will soon wear off and within a few weeks will be yesterdays news and noone will be playing it.

Couldn't be further from the truth, this is one of the biggest franchises in the world releasing an app that everyone can access for the first time, it will be humongous. The problem with Pokemon before is it was hugely selling on gameboy and the DS but phone apps reach many millions more people, and its free. They have also only released the bare minimum so far and will add new Pokemon, new items, new gameplay features and more. Also, it appeals to the younger generation, but also to those people between the ages of 18-35 who played the original Pokemon games.
    We shall see, i honestly dont know and doesnt bother me. I would much prefer they just bring the original game out on an app personally but who knows there is obviously a market for it. Just my opinion
    An opinion you share with me.
  • Options

Is there a milkman on Pokemon Go because I've just come home and found one on my wife .

Was he delivering Moo Moo Milk!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MrOneLung said:
    Cheers. For fellow geeks Bluewater seems a good place. 3 gyms, lots of Pokestops and many water types by the ponds.
  • Options
    People looking for charmanders and other fire types might have to wait til they go on holiday, seems like it's more water and grass type Pokemon here in the uk cos of climate + weather
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Someone downloaded for me yesterday, i had a look on lunch and its not all that. Think its the novelty really, i used to like pokemon growing up so thought id have a look. Reckon it will soon wear off and within a few weeks will be yesterdays news and noone will be playing it.

Couldn't be further from the truth, this is one of the biggest franchises in the world releasing an app that everyone can access for the first time, it will be humongous. The problem with Pokemon before is it was hugely selling on gameboy and the DS but phone apps reach many millions more people, and its free. They have also only released the bare minimum so far and will add new Pokemon, new items, new gameplay features and more. Also, it appeals to the younger generation, but also to those people between the ages of 18-35 who played the original Pokemon games.
    We shall see, i honestly dont know and doesnt bother me. I would much prefer they just bring the original game out on an app personally but who knows there is obviously a market for it. Just my opinion
    That's not really Nintendo's style, they're into pushing technology forward and getting people more active (look at the wii and Pokemon go).

Also it is possible to get a smartphone port of the Pokemon games if you look around hard enough.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

That's not really Nintendo's style, they're into pushing technology forward and getting people more active (look at the wii and Pokemon go).

Also it is possible to get a smartphone port of the Pokemon games if you look around hard enough.
    DraStic is a great app, and you can get all the DS Pokemon games as Roms, up to Pokemon Black and White 2
  • Options
    I've been really bugged by Google Glass recently, I think Pokemon Go (or anything with augmented reality) based in a pair of glasses would be incredible. I'm not sure if Google have given up on them though?

Glass looked awesome, and had arguably the best product announcement ever - live streaming the view of the product team as they parachuted down to the venue. This would be a killer use for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

I've been really bugged by Google Glass recently, I think Pokemon Go (or anything with augmented reality) based in a pair of glasses would be incredible. I'm not sure if Google have given up on them though?

Glass looked awesome, and had arguably the best product announcement ever - live streaming the view of the product team as they parachuted down to the venue. This would be a killer use for them.

I agree. Google Glass looked awesome though some of the testers developed issues I think. They kept randomly tapping their temples (apparently this activated the glasses or something) and people forgot they weren't wearing them.

I'd like to think it will return though.

It's something I used to think about when I was a kid - having something overlaid in your vision. Same as Augmented Reality - I've always thought it was an awesome concept but it's only really coming to life more recently
  • Options

Christ on a bike. I was out catching Pokemon until 1am last night.

But not before I walked downstairs at midnight and caught one in the living room.

Wibble.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/two-fall-from-cliff-reportedly-playing-pokemon-go/ar-BBulWCY?li=BBoPOOl

I think this is called natural selection, isn't it ?

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

Yeah google glass got cancelled. They ran into a bunch of issues, namely privacy.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

LuckyReds said:

I agree. Google Glass looked awesome though some of the testers developed issues I think. They kept randomly tapping their temples (apparently this activated the glasses or something) and people forgot they weren't wearing them.

I'd like to think it will return though.

It's something I used to think about when I was a kid - having something overlaid in your vision. Same as Augmented Reality - I've always thought it was an awesome concept but it's only really coming to life more recently
    Ouch, that sounds like quite an annoying habit; then again I guess it's similar to twisting your wrist if you're used to wearing a watch, or instinctively pushing your glasses up your nose even if you're wearing lenses/had laser eyes surgery.

The site for them says it's "not the end of the journey", and wikipedia makes it seem as though they're just re-designing them. It's weird because I thought they were essentially ready to release, even the developer kit had been released.
  • Options
    That touches upon an almost heartwarming aspect of the game; he mentions meeting people who wouldn't usually be out, who would be behind a screen in their house.

This kind of game definitely has a good potential for improving social skills and getting people out of their comfort zone. It's ashame that it no doubt cost millions to develop, but hopefully with time similar technology will seep in to the development community and we will see some cool other AR projects. It could open so many doors.

Alas, I'm a tech guy - I have the creative prowess of an accountant, and as such have no ideas personally..
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Am sure there will be millions of spin offs for this kind of thing soon... Just look at the Lego games for various movies and how many characters from each film you can find during those games (i.e. Star Wars / Indiana Jones / Harry Potter to name but a few)
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

That touches upon an almost heartwarming aspect of the game; he mentions meeting people who wouldn't usually be out, who would be behind a screen in their house.

This kind of game definitely has a good potential for improving social skills and getting people out of their comfort zone. It's ashame that it no doubt cost millions to develop, but hopefully with time similar technology will seep in to the development community and we will see some cool other AR projects. It could open so many doors.

Alas, I'm a tech guy - I have the creative prowess of an accountant, and as such have no ideas personally..
    what people forget when they say things like this is most of the money being spent, if not all of it, is paying people's wages - who have worked hard to create a career for themselves in a difficult job that's highly competitive. I work in the tv and film industry and it gets to me when people scoff at the millions of pounds spent on the latest john lewis xmas advert. People forget basically everyone who worked on that advert are self employed, spent years working their way up, perfecting their craft and usually work obscene hours and treated like sweatshop workers by producers. IMO they earn every penny of what they earn. The rest, of course, is spent on hardware of course, which is also expensive as you need to pay the wages of the workers in the factories and the engineers who designed the servers, computers that were designed on etc. Then, everything seems pretty reasonable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LuckyReds said:

what people forget when they say things like this is most of the money being spent, if not all of it, is paying people's wages - who have worked hard to create a career for themselves in a difficult job that's highly competitive. I work in the tv and film industry and it gets to me when people scoff at the millions of pounds spent on the latest john lewis xmas advert. People forget basically everyone who worked on that advert are self employed, spent years working their way up, perfecting their craft and usually work obscene hours and treated like sweatshop workers by producers. IMO they earn every penny of what they earn. The rest, of course, is spent on hardware of course, which is also expensive as you need to pay the wages of the workers in the factories and the engineers who designed the servers, computers that were designed on etc. Then, everything seems pretty reasonable.
    You're preaching to the choir, I'm a Software Engineer! ;) It's nice to hear people value the kind of work that would've gone in to it too!

I've never touched game dev because it is notoriously cut throat and a good way to burn out before you're even mid twenties.

I was being incredibly selfish in the sense I would love to see how it works and what it could be adapted for, I genuinely think its got great potential! I've since found an open source AR framework that I may play around with over the weekend with.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

You're preaching to the choir, I'm a Software Engineer! ;) It's nice to hear people value the kind of work that would've gone in to it too!

I've never touched game dev because it is notoriously cut throat and a good way to burn out before you're even mid twenties.

I was being incredibly selfish in the sense I would love to see how it works and what it could be adapted for, I genuinely think its got great potential! I've since found an open source AR framework that I may play around with over the weekend with.
    great stuff, yeah i've been looking into coding etc recently and teaching myself stuff.. very complex stuff for me though since you've got to be water tight with your parenthesise etc. I've looked into unity as well and is interesting since i'm learning 3d software at work (i work in motion graphics and vfx and video editing) the pitfalls of it compared to say, c4d.

Not sure if it's still on, but i saw a doc on netflix called "indie game" which follows a couple of indie game studios basically living and working out of their bedrooms on their partner's salary trying to finish their game who's teasers had become viral hits in the gaming world. How they deal with the pressure etc, very interesting and worth a watch!
  • Options

From what I understand, whatever you do dont run out of balls
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

great stuff, yeah i've been looking into coding etc recently and teaching myself stuff.. very complex stuff for me though since you've got to be water tight with your parenthesise etc. I've looked into unity as well and is interesting since i'm learning 3d software at work (i work in motion graphics and vfx and video editing) the pitfalls of it compared to say, c4d.

Not sure if it's still on, but i saw a doc on netflix called "indie game" which follows a couple of indie game studios basically living and working out of their bedrooms on their partner's salary trying to finish their game who's teasers had become viral hits in the gaming world. How they deal with the pressure etc, very interesting and worth a watch!
    Really enjoyed indie game. very interesting
  • Options
    IA said:

philcafc said:

All this means precisely nothing to me.

It's in Vienna now?
    CL joke of the year winner
  • Options
    I wonder if Nintendo could put selected Pokemon in specific places! If so, a business like a football club could pay them and leak there may be a shiny rare whatsisname at the game! Could be a god earner for everybody. Supermarkets could do similar. I suppose it depends how app was designed, but I'd make that a feature if I was designing it and Nintendo are no mugs!
  • Options

I wonder if Nintendo could put selected Pokemon in specific places! If so, a business like a football club could pay them and leak there may be a shiny rare whatsisname at the game! Could be a god earner for everybody. Supermarkets could do similar. I suppose it depends how app was designed, but I'd make that a feature if I was designing it and Nintendo are no mugs!

Well they have managed to get it to recognise water, ice/snow and desert areas, so I think it would be possible to limit the geolocation and time of Pokemon in that way, but I don't know how viable it is to charge companies for it etc.