Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Updated Squad Contract List - 12 May 2016

Comments

• Options
    Poor Aaron, looks like he's signing under duress!
  • Options

Dont see us keeping Ceballos... He's never really been in favour under anyone but Luzon

See the club cutting their loses with him

There does seem to be a player there, and he seems a decent guy as well, but his non appearances have been a real mystery. He played the first half against Colchester, has he been seen again after that?
    I saw him in the 1-1 draw with Forest which was just before Colchester and I thought he showed some good touches, like Lookman I dont think League One will be too bad for his development if he wants to stay in England.

Dont we did see him again after Colchester though.
    He was given a squad number by Spurs in 2014/15, and has appeared on their bench, so they clearly thought he was reasonable.
  • Options
    Nabby Sarr actually played quite well on the right side for a few games despite being very left footed. Odd that...He might surprise us yet in third tier. Surely relegation Roger will be paid off? Lookman will be sold to help pay for this mess, ditto Jordan and Watt.
    Bearing in mind we are supposed to be Duchatelet's top club - and what a joke that is - I will be curious to see if they actually attempt to build a team for promotion or if it is left to the kids to sort out whilst Roland tries to get his money back.
    I can't imagine stepping back into the Valley under the current regime although I might attend an away game to check the players out.
  • Options
    Quite happy to accept Nabby Sarr might yet surprise us in third tier. The surprise will be how hopeless he is even at this level. I suspect it won't be until the club reforms as AFC Charlton in some minor league that Sarr will look competent. (I'm sure he will still be on the books then as there is no way the club will be able to get rid of him for any sort of major fee before his contract expires in 2020).

A five year contract for this man? Face it, Squirrell Face mucked up big time in her negotiations here.
  • Options

Quite happy to accept Nabby Sarr might yet surprise us in third tier. The surprise will be how hopeless he is even at this level. I suspect it won't be until the club reforms as AFC Charlton in some minor league that Sarr will look competent. (I'm sure he will still be on the books then as there is no way the club will be able to get rid of him for any sort of major fee before his contract expires in 2020).

A five year contract for this man? Face it, Squirrell Face mucked up big time in her negotiations here.

He's said to have been the player we paid the highest fee for, rumoured to be £1.7m. I think for FFP the fee is spread across the length of the contract. Vetokele also got a 5 year deal and his fee was meant to be around £2.4m.

I blame whoever recommended Sarr. Same with Ba, Makienok and Ceballos. None of them had played much first team football in the previous season, there couldn't have been much to go on.

No Championship club should be signing first team players based on u21 games, games from over a season ago etc. You need players who have proven themselves recently, these four were more like players that were considered good prospects a few years ago.

Really wouldn't be surprising if they were all signed off the back of highlight DVDs and a few stats. They were all at top tier clubs as well so it might have been assumed they'd be comfortable in the Championship.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He's said to have been the player we paid the highest fee for, rumoured to be £1.7m.
    Blimey, I never realised we paid so much for him. Honestly, I despair at these clowns running our club..
  • Options

Scoham said:

He's said to have been the player we paid the highest fee for, rumoured to be £1.7m. I think for FFP the fee is spread across the length of the contract. Vetokele also got a 5 year deal and his fee was meant to be around £2.4m.

I blame whoever recommended Sarr. Same with Ba, Makienok and Ceballos. None of them had played much first team football in the previous season, there couldn't have been much to go on.

No Championship club should be signing first team players based on u21 games, games from over a season ago etc. You need players who have proven themselves recently, these four were more like players that were considered good prospects a few years ago.

Really wouldn't be surprising if they were all signed off the back of highlight DVDs and a few stats. They were all at top tier clubs as well so it might have been assumed they'd be comfortable in the Championship.
    Sarr, Ba, Cebellos and Makienok all had good stats and all had previously good reputations.

Mak had scored a lot in Denmark, Ba had been seen as a big star of the future when snapped up by Sunderland, Cebellos had been at Barca, Sarr was a French U21 who got a move to a big club.

But all faded and so all were seen as unrealised potential going cheap, players who would become more valuable and be sold on at a profit. That is the Roland model.

The lap top stats say they are a bargain so buy them.

Forget why they flopped at their present clubs, the computer says yes

Forget that they haven't played much football the last season, the computer says yes

Forget that they are unused to English Championship football (Ba and Cebellos had been living in England but hardly played), computer says yes

Forget that the chief scout thinks there are better English based players available, we don't have a chief scout, the computer says yes

Forget that the head coach doesn't know them or rate them, the head coach doesn't get a say, computer says yes.

Forget team spirit, time to get used to a new country and style of play, forget that too many new to the club players will make it harder to build a team, computer says yes.
    Scoham, have you applied for the Chief Scout role ?
  • Options
    I think Sarr might leave and return to Portugal
  • Options
    The upside is that we have sunk to a level that we can once again borrow network club players in the hope that one in four might be half decent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The upside is that we have sunk to a level that we can once again borrow network club players in the hope that one in four might be half decent.

Time to resurrect the Delort thread?!
  • Options
    Hope that somehow we get Fanni back again - he just got better and better with more game time.
    Would also like Motta back.

Wonder if we'll see Tony Watt in a CAFC shirt again?
  • Options
    purdis said:

Hope that somehow we get Fanni back again - he just got better and better with more game time.

I would love to see Tony Watt still here next season, he wasn't perfect but every time he got on the ball we looked like creating a chance, its no coincidence that our good runs at the end of last season and at the very start of this season happened when he was starting every match

Having said that I'm not holding my breath, it seems pretty clear he's going to be sold, and I can't speak for the rumours that suggest he fell out with other players and management
  • Options
    AddickBen said:

purdis said:

I would love to see Tony Watt still here next season, he wasn't perfect but every time he got on the ball we looked like creating a chance, its no coincidence that our good runs at the end of last season and at the very start of this season happened when he was starting every match

Having said that I'm not holding my breath, it seems pretty clear he's going to be sold, and I can't speak for the rumours that suggest he fell out with other players and management
    The player we sat with at the Shirt Sponsors' dinner( who said he was good mates with Tony) told us the rumours of falling out with teammates was wide of the mark.

Sounds more like Tony would wind them up but nothing malicious and was accepted for the "lad" he clearly is.

• Options
    When do we usually here which of those out of contract have been released?

I have no idea who will make this decision, Wim de whoever? Or Simon Clark?

But I am assuming we will hear at some point.
  • Options

I'm not being glib here canters but when do you hear fans being described as customers, the owner take to writing a coco pop fuelled rant against the fans, a head of comms resign after a month into the job and no chief scout. Who knows with this lot. It really is panic behind scenes now. We will be the next Blackpool
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I'm not being glib here canters but when do you hear fans being described as customers, the owner take to writing a coco pop fuelled rant against the fans, a head of comms resign after a month into the job and no chief scout. Who knows with this lot. It really is panic behind scenes now. We will be the next Blackpool
    I know, you are bang on. I was more thinking once we know when it normally happens we can then assess whether it is late/not coming at all as no one has a clue what's going on.
  • Options
    How good would Tony Watt be in League one!!!
  • Options

Scoham said:

Sarr, Ba, Cebellos and Makienok all had good stats and all had previously good reputations.

Mak had scored a lot in Denmark, Ba had been seen as a big star of the future when snapped up by Sunderland, Cebellos had been at Barca, Sarr was a French U21 who got a move to a big club.

But all faded and so all were seen as unrealised potential going cheap, players who would become more valuable and be sold on at a profit. That is the Roland model.

The lap top stats say they are a bargain so buy them.

Forget why they flopped at their present clubs, the computer says yes

Forget that they haven't played much football the last season, the computer says yes

Forget that they are unused to English Championship football (Ba and Cebellos had been living in England but hardly played), computer says yes

Forget that the chief scout thinks there are better English based players available, we don't have a chief scout, the computer says yes

Forget that the head coach doesn't know them or rate them, the head coach doesn't get a say, computer says yes.

Forget team spirit, time to get used to a new country and style of play, forget that too many new to the club players will make it harder to build a team, computer says yes.
    As you point out, all came with an upside. and if we're going to blame whoever picked them out (of course not knowing who that is is a huge problem), then we should praise them for Igor, JBG, Kashi, Bauer, etc.

I think the bigger problem is not providing cover for these players. Mak started as first choice with Watt, with only KAG fit for cover. Sarr started as our 3rd center back behind Bauer who was new to the league and Diarra, who is a fill in CB who can do a job against lower opposition but not against the better teams in the league. With Ba, he felt the knock-on effect of not having enough CBs, meaning Alou couldn't play in midfield when Kashi got hurt. As for Ceballos, he is one of two creative wingers on our books in September, as Callum had been loaned out, again, not cover. He then fractured his foot in a contact injury (where he stuck his foot in) and it seems like injuries and fitness have been the problem since.

I would argue that all of the players have potential. The problem is bringing them in to be first choice with no cover, and then of course turning them over to a non-manager for 15 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    There was an article by Rich Cawley that suggested that we have an option to extend Callum Harriott's contract. I have no idea if that's true, but here is the link..

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116405&headline=Revealed: Charlton Athletic have option to extend winger's Valley stay&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

EDIT - Seen it mentioned on the list (missed it on first glance).

Anyone heard anything about it? Are we stupid enough to let him go when we are playing at a level he could excel at?
  • Options

There was an article by Rich Cawley that suggested that we have an option to extend Callum Harriott's contract. I have no idea if that's true, but here is the link..

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116405&headline=Revealed: Charlton Athletic have option to extend winger's Valley stay&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

EDIT - Seen it mentioned on the list (missed it on first glance).

Anyone heard anything about it? Are we stupid enough to let him go when we are playing at a level he could excel at?

Think you've just answered your own question there unfortunately. We are more than stupid enough!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Less than half your signings being a success can only be failure though. The rate they bring players from Europe of course they will get some right. That doesn't deserve praise when overall they have got it completely wrong.

If you're including signings from the season before then you can also add in Lepoint.

Last summers recruitment was a disaster. Out of 7 signings only 2 in Kashi and Bauer were good enough, and we've not actually seen those two over an entire season.

I'm not confident that the rest of them will be consistent enough in League One, compare them to the players we had when we won the title.

Is Sarr better than Taylor, Morrison or Cort? Ba better than Hollands or Stephens? Bergdich over Wiggins or Jackson? Ceballos better than Jackson, Green or Wagstaff? Makienok won't be here and he's of course nowhere near as good as Kermorgant.

I agree they may have potential, but we should have never brought in so many inexperienced players. Not only were several of them thrown into them team, they were alongside academy players with even less experience.

It's that which has cost us our place in the Championship. It left us with an inadequate squad, especially at CB and on the wing, and too many young, inexperienced players. If we had started the season with the likes of Tex, Motta and Fanni we would have stayed up, and Luzon would probably kept his job for the season.

The previous summer's recruitment was pretty decent actually - JBG, Hendo, Igor, TBH, Bikey, Moussa plus Buyens and Bulot on loan - the majority of those were a success. Will any of them still be here by August?

• Options
    I know every team has injuries but if Kashi and Bauer had played a lot more games I think we would have stayed up
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I know every team has injuries but if Kashi and Bauer had played a lot more games I think we would have stayed up

May have made us harder to beat and reduced the number of 3-0 defeats but we went down because of our inability to create and score goals - Bauer and Kashi would have made no difference to that