Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should we not be honest & promise a route to the premiership to attract the very best young talent?

Comments

• 5. agreeing that we all want the same thing - a well run Championship club which plays great football, treats its fans with respect and doesn't irresponsibly burn other peoples money.

No.

I want a Premier league club.
  • SDAddick said:

Mackle said:

@SDAddick I don't think size has anything to do with gambling on flawed yet talented players. Leeds and Manchester United gambled on Eric Cantona despite his issues, indeed Manchester United stuck with him after he did something that to quote my dear departed much loved Grandmother "I've always wanted to do".

Real Madrid took in Antonio Cassano. In fact, Cassano has been taken on by many big and medium large clubs.

Anelka and Ballotelli have played for a whose who of top clubs.

True, but when they brought in Cassano, Madrid also had Raul, Guti, Ronaldo, and a host of other attacking players which meant that Cassano was not the only Galactico. Ballotelli had Tevez, Dzeko, and then Aguero at City. Anelka was a talisman at City and Bolton, but at Arsenal he had various other very good forwards with him, same with his time at Madrid, and when he joined Chelsea they had Drogba, and various wide attackers for the 4-3-3.

It's early and I can't remember exactly who was up front for United in the mid-90s (Yorke, Sherringham?), but hopefully you get my point. When these clubs signed raw, flawed players they had other experienced players around them to help ease them into the team.
    Dion Dublin and Brian McClair I think?

Leeds had... Brian Deane.

With Cassano, after Madrid he went on to play for Sampdoria, Milan, Inter, and Parma, despite being known as a complete nightmare to manage. I don't know what to make of Cassano... wasted talent? But then playing for all those huge teams and having championships / cups on his CV, well it's not been a bad career really!

• 4. us acknowledging that he has thrown a lot of money at the club - pitch ( we all remember the mud bath of the last set of british owners) , the academy etc and wages,

...at 3% interest.

• Mackle said:

SDAddick said:

Mackle said:

@SDAddick I don't think size has anything to do with gambling on flawed yet talented players. Leeds and Manchester United gambled on Eric Cantona despite his issues, indeed Manchester United stuck with him after he did something that to quote my dear departed much loved Grandmother "I've always wanted to do".

Real Madrid took in Antonio Cassano. In fact, Cassano has been taken on by many big and medium large clubs.

True, but when they brought in Cassano, Madrid also had Raul, Guti, Ronaldo, and a host of other attacking players which meant that Cassano was not the only Galactico. Ballotelli had Tevez, Dzeko, and then Aguero at City. Anelka was a talisman at City and Bolton, but at Arsenal he had various other very good forwards with him, same with his time at Madrid, and when he joined Chelsea they had Drogba, and various wide attackers for the 4-3-3.

It's early and I can't remember exactly who was up front for United in the mid-90s (Yorke, Sherringham?), but hopefully you get my point. When these clubs signed raw, flawed players they had other experienced players around them to help ease them into the team.

With Cassano, after Madrid he went on to play for Sampdoria, Milan, Inter, and Parma, despite being known as a complete nightmare to manage. I don't know what to make of Cassano... wasted talent? But then playing for all those huge teams and having championships / cups on his CV, well it's not been a bad career really!
    Mackle said:

SDAddick said:

Mackle said:

There is a rumor that when he was at Madrid, Cassano was living in a hotel and had the concierge bring him a different woman every night, and a dozen donuts in the morning. He seemed to fall out with every coach and/or owner he played under. I think he was just born 20 years too late. He would have been excellent in the days when physical fitness didn't matter as much as it does now. Certainly talent wasted, but given what he won and the amount he's probably earned, not a terrible way to waste talent.
  • ...unless someone out there wants to gamble £50m on 3 to 1 odds of scrapping into the premiership then i don't see the alternative to meeting RD halfway and looking for a compromise which involves...

If by your logic we have to pay to engage with Duchatelet, we'll have to pay to compromise. Except that we won't have the £25m it would take to meet him half way, so the price we'll pay is that he'll dismantle the club bit by bit. I'm not having that. I wan't him out. No compromise, just go!

Finding a buyer and agreeing the terms of sale are his problem, not ours. Our job is to demonstrate loudly and clearly that getting out of Dodge is by far and away the best decision for him. It's up to him how he does it though.
  • Just seen an ad on here asking me to check my PPI , just what i've always wanted....
  • edited April 2016
    seth plum said:

I would not want to mis-represent what some of you are saying and i am obviously citing parts of what is posted and most of what you say is very opposed to my view but it is interesting to see

1.Had the management spent the existing playing budget sensibly there wouldn't be a problem. It's unlikely we'd be better than mid-table, but that is not unreasonable.... AIRMAN BROWN

2. most agree that IGOR was and could still be a top player, although most think Kermorgant is better. Note though he is 34 and could NOT make it in the premiership

3. The club sometimes make good signings-

...should also be credit for bringing in Tex, Fanni, and Motta ....SD ADDOICK

and of course Gummudeson and Diarra - unless we think we should get rid?

4. some accept the new larger parachute payments are a problem - although to be fair most try and gloss over this 'elephant in the room'

5. roger johnson a 'solid championship player' was a poor signing- I AGREE

6. the TOXIC atmosphere at the club is probably not helping us sign promising youngsters, and definitely not POSITIVE for player morale. ( some of you claimed it has no impact but no-one has said it is having a positive impact)

7. DONT SELL ON YOUNG TALENT- a core aim of the campaign is acknowledged as being unrealistic in this day and age. and most agree that to attract the best we need to play them. Even more so now after Deli Alli.

Yes we can keep some young talent like the excellent JC but the truth is that's because he probably isn't quite good enough for the next step up. Remember for every Gomez and Lookman there will be one Solly (championship player only) and Cousins- who we can hold on to.

As I've said the club is being badly managed and needs a shake up particularly in how it engages with its critics, but unless someone out there wants to gamble £50m on 3 to 1 odds of scrapping into the premiership then i don't see the alternative to meeting RD halfway and looking for a compromise which involves

1. sticking long term with someone like RIGA - whose win ratio with us during his two stint's with us is excellent and whose tactical awareness is first class ( the
    change of tactics in the second half to up end Birmingham's counter attacking was superb and something that we all know Chris Powell wasn't capable of)

2. mixing up the signings a little with some VG home Championship players, not just relying 100% on kids and imports.

3. appointing a new UK based CEO- with a remit to win over the fans

4. us acknowledging that he has thrown a lot of money at the club - pitch ( we all remember the mud bath of the last set of british owners) , the academy etc and wages, and this is a good start

5. agreeing that we all want the same thing - a well run Championship club which plays great football, treats its fans with respect and doesn't irresponsibly burn other peoples money.

If we can get some stability based on the above then we may have a chance to entice new partners with deeper pockets and big visions and that could be good but if we don't we still have a decent club that we love.

PS i am very English, London born and i repeat do not know anyone in the management team at the club. so please some of you stop the unfair abuse.

Interesting you use the new regime buzz word 'partners' at the end. I would much prefer new owners.
    Hey, they could always partner with Data Techniques? ;-)

• I think your right Seth . This smells of Mr. Dorwood.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016
    So true WestCountryAddick, some of us have been boycotting home games before CARD even existed and if anything CARD bringing the protests inside the ground is the only thing tempting me back to the Valley, it has been away games only for me for most of the season.

I have even been considering getting a season ticket for the first time since 2006(when I moved to Scotland) now that im back down south and looking set to have a less busy work schedule in the near future but obviously this will not be happening now.

I will be straight on the phone for one the minute I see a picture of our new owner holding up scarfy on the official site, just hoping that will be before we find ourselves in League Two or worse as we continue to spiral down under our arrogant and willfully ignorant current owner.
  • Correct me if I am wrong and no doubt I am but did PV not have a part in introducing the SPIVs Airman Brown?

I was referring to some current season ticket holders not coming because of the toxic atmosphere not last year's West Country .

End ( sorry lookout I will try to restrain myself )

• chastened by relegation ,or fingers crossed near relegation, you might find RD agreeing with the above- when the facts change clever people adapt and change with them- RD's multi-million euro fortune suggests he is not a complete idiot

So why has he not adapted and changed at other clubs in the network that have been relegated then?

And as has been said before, if he cared about the club he would at least hear out the details of approaches to see if it was in the best interests of the club rather than treating good Charlton men like Peter Varney in a contemptuous way.

And if money is your benchmark of success, then Roland isn't even half the man that Mike Ashley is... and at least Mike Ashley doesn't have a complete farce of a failed political career.

The Duchatelet interview on the CAST site shows him for what he is. Claims to be a visionary, derides and insults people who disagree with his visions, says some disgraceful things about football fans, yet for all his "vision" the Standard Liege fans have been proved absolutely right to force him out as they've gone on to win things afterwards - those same fans that only opposed him because they were "unemployed with nothing better to do". They've proved they know more about football for starters.
  • I was referring to some current season ticket holders not coming because of the toxic atmosphere not last year's West Country .

According to Jon Fortune the atmosphere at the Valley the last couple of games has been the best it's been in years.

• edited April 2016
    Roland hasn't learnt a thing. Even if we were to stay up, the same mental decisions and mistakes are going to be made again and again.
  • Sponsored links:

• No one is gambling £50m at the moment.

A bloke "bought" a football club and charges the football club for the privilege. He then loans the club money for operational costs and to cover his own mistakes, setting the term and interest of the loan.

That's not investing anything, it's free cash, especially when the ECB rate is 0%.

The only risk is that no one will ever buy the debt off of him. The club have stated that potential investors are in contact with them all the time so this risk is minimal.
  • looks like some of you on bent on mutually assured destruction if you ask me.

1. There is no way it is in the interests of RD to see the club go down the tubes. He may well have mis-managed many things but to believe he wants to kiss goodbye to his £40m is naive.

2. Suggesting that someone is exploiting the club because he is putting his money in in the form of a loan with a notional low commercial rate of interest ( interest he can't collect unless he pays it to himself) when this is the model that has been followed for years in football including in part by previous CAFC Directors, is again naive.

3. Suggesting that anyone who has an opposite view to the CARD is a club stooge or employee is insulting and again naive. Look around -not everyone is standing up when the chants of RD out start, and quite a few are deterred from coming, despite having paid for season tickets, because the atmosphere at Home games is often toxic.

4. To believe that there is some financial Messiah out there now that the doors to the PREMIERSHIP have been more or less locked by the new TV £100m relegation deal is again naive beyond belief. At best there will be 1 maybe 2 clubs outside the recently relegated premiership clubs who will win promotion every two years. That's odds of 43/1 to get promoted requiring a £50m stake- come on - WAKE UP PLEASE!

5.RD needs CAFC to be a reasonably successful Championship Club. This year proves his methods have failed to achieve this ( although perhaps we are quick to forget we came 12th last year with 60 points under RD) so it is in our and his interests for him to change and improve the way he runs things.

all agree that we need

-Stable management with more autonomy (again Riga's win ratio with us is actually not that bad)
    -Far less player turnover- although most of the turnover is caused by too many Manager changes
    -A top academy that has to sell its very best players because if we don't they won't come to us in the first place
    -More professional and experienced day to day internal management of the club
    -Some older experience home grown talent (which won't be cheap) to mix in with the good imports and youngsters

chastened by relegation ,or fingers crossed near relegation, you might find RD agreeing with the above- when the facts change clever people adapt and change with them- RD's multi-million euro fortune suggests he is not a complete idiot

END

Once again I repeat - Roland WILL NOT DO WHAT IS REQUIRED - that is the problem!
  • Roland will absolutely not learn from the mistakes that have been made. He hasn't once.

We have Riga not because he conceded his approach was wrong, but because the internal backlash against the appointment of the Upjest manager was too much to handle. I know for a fact that people within the club told Katrien in plain and simple terms that if she allowed the appointment to happen she should resign.
  • dippenhall
    I don't know the owner from Adam - get over yourself !

Either I am right and RD seeks compromise which meets with a positive response from the fans
    Or
    I am wrong and RD runs the club into the ground or he runs off nursing his wounds and crying over his written off loan
    Selling to
    a. The new messiah with the brains and inability to make any errors like Grapevine ( crikey that was a self righteous post