Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should we not be honest & promise a route to the premiership to attract the very best young talent?

Comments

• Someone at the club trying to be Machiavellian and failing dismally.

They will be employing Alastair Campbell next.
  • edited April 2016
    Mackle said:

Our only other option is to attract some egotistical mug to gamble a minimum of £50m to get us into the premiership -
    Any takers ?

The "egotistical mugs" at QPR wrote off £50 million of debt the club owed them by converting it to equity (i.e. more shares on paper in a club they already owned). The ruthless Leicester owners wrote off £100 million in the same way. There are other examples. Any takers? Yes, there certainly are.
    Instead, we have an egotistical mug that gets Charlton to borrow off of another company that he owns. I kind of see Strapix like a loan shark, might not be money owed to a bank but it's still an owed debt
    Yes, exactly. In their last season in the Championship, Leicester's wage bill was £31 million. There is no way that the Duchatelet model is going to be truly competitive in the Championship. Instead, we're just racking up debt to him.

Next season in L1 doesn't bear thinking about, but it's unlikely we'll be genuinely competitive on the pitch at that level, either. What it will do is reduce us to a level more suited to the network swaps model (in a network without SL, of course).
  • edited April 2016

I agree it's depressing that having to sell our young players amounts to a lack of ambition in terms of getting into the premiership but the truth is we were technically bankrupt before new owner came in. Our only other option is to attract some egotistical mug to gamble a minimum of £50m to get us into the premiership -
    Any takers ?
    Ps just like to post out that after the recent Brentford away win none of the players, other than Sanago really wanted to come and celebrate with the fans - telling don't you think

Lol lol. You and your Belgiums have not got a fucking clue how to run a proper football club. End of. You are failures.

• I would love it if someone wanted to gamble their fortune on us for sure but I don't see anyone out there - if you do let's name names ?
    Roland is hated by many because he won't gamble his fortune on us
    That's a good reason to be upset but it's a bit rich to tell him to get lost if he won't gamble his cash
    Because of the massive relegation payouts the premiership is effectively becoming like the US football leagues i.e. No relegation - just as the American investors have always wanted
    Assuming the current bottom three all went down all of them will be back up within 1 or 2 years max 3
    Not much room for anyone else unless they can gamble millions

Just a couple of points of information
    Owners of companies make intercompany loans all the time - what ever way he puts money in its mainly his cash that pays the wages etc. Players don't get paid in Monopoly money and losses have to be paid for -there's no magical credit card out there now that the banks avoid football as much as they can
    I was at Brentford and the post match player response was a real shock
    Considering it was a rare and very good win.

• Posting without reading but

NO, no we should not make promises that we can't possibly keep! Leave that the the Chelsea 's of this world who are paying kids 17 bags a week just to keep them from other clubs
  • I would love it if someone wanted to gamble their fortune on us for sure but I don't see anyone out there - if you do let's name names ?
    That's a good reason to be upset but it's a bit rich to tell him to get lost if he won't gamble his cash
    Because of the massive relegation payouts the premiership is effectively becoming like the US football leagues i.e. No relegation - just as the American investors have always wanted
    Assuming the current bottom three all went down all of them will be back up within 1 or 2 years max 3

Owners of companies make intercompany loans all the time - what ever way he puts money in its mainly his cash that pays the wages etc. Players don't get paid in Monopoly money and losses have to be paid for -there's no magical credit card out there now that the banks avoid football as much as they can

Rat isn't hated because he won't throw money at the club. What makes you think that Sue?
  • Sponsored links:

So why are they loans, not equity? Why do you does RD want £40/50M ? That's more than he's spent or loaned the club.
  • If my son grows up to so much as kick a ball one time at the Valley on a match day, wearing the Charlton shirt, even in a competition as basic as the Conference, or as part of some fourth team reserve game, I'd struggle to see past the tears in my eyes.

But not under this regime though. And it would have nothing to do with access to the first team or a pathway to the Premier League. They could offer him the world and I'd advise him to stay clear until we've got them out.

Academic anyway. He wants to be Johnny Cena, not Johnny Jackson. And this regime is on its last legs.
  • If my son had the talent of Gomez or Lookman then there is no way I would allow him to play at our Academy unless he had a good prospect of first team games and therefore a shop window for the bigger clubs. I know this is a sad reflection on CAFC but its reality. Payments to relegated premiership clubs next year could be as much as £100m - perhaps we all need to wake up a little.

Charlton have always brought players through the youth system, the difference is that in the past, many of them became important players in the first team, and as a result have helped the team progress. A good youth system is a sensible idea. But the main aim must be to benefit the team and contribute to the Club's successes.

The biggest issue we have now, is because of the poor running of the Club over the past couple of years, we will be in the third tier next season (most likely) and we have no carrot to dangle to keep hold of the promising young players. In the Championship we could at least let them know we are building a team in order to make a push for promotion to the Premier League. In League One, you can't sell young players or their representatives that kind of dream so easily.
  • just to clarify i understand that many of you will not like what I'm saying - no problem with that but for the record
    i have absolutely no connection with the clubs owners
    I've supported the club for 40 years
    like many of you my family has supported the club since the war
    I've supported valley gold for over 10 years
    i spend over £1000 a year on season tickets

i also think we should dump that pile of trash from Belgium called Guðmundsson and it was Roland that caused the injury to by our first top class striker for many years -Igor- by kicking him when on a rare visit to the UK
  • @alanalsace Are you going to break the mould then, and be the first one of these new posters to actually hold an adult debate and respond to the responses people have given you?
  • just to clarify i understand that many of you will not like what I'm saying - no problem with that but for the record
    i have absolutely no connection with the clubs owners
    I've supported the club for 40 years
    like many of you my family has supported the club since the war
    I've supported valley gold for over 10 years
    i spend over £1000 a year on season tickets

i also think we should dump that pile of trash from Belgium called Guðmundsson and it was Roland that caused the injury to by our first top class striker for many years -Igor- by kicking him when on a rare visit to the UK

JBG is not Belgian, he is Icelandic. I'm not sure what you mean about Roland kicking Igor.
  • Sponsored links:

"I would love it if someone wanted to gamble their fortune on us for sure but I don't see anyone out there - if you do let's name names ?"
    I can't name names, but two people that can are Peter Varney and also a former Charlton goalkeeper. Because of his previous work with Charlton, Varney's words carry great weight so if he believes that the current ownership is not good for the club then I think that it is at least worth listening to him.

"Roland is hated by many because he won't gamble his fortune on us
    I can't speak for "the many", but I can speak for myself. My strong dislike of Roland is not because he doesn't throw money at us, but because we are not Charlton Athletic to him but merely the London branch of his football network which was created purely as a way of proving a fag packet theory about how to take advantage of financial fair play - a theory that left out such important details as not all clubs and leagues are equal, and that with the current implementation of FFP cannot work.

If Roland appointed a CEO who didn't belittle fans, and tell the press that she doesn't care about the history of Charlton because what happened before Roland is irrelevant, and the club began to operate like a football club rather than a Strapix network club (Roland's interview that LuckyRed's references above said that Roland does not believe in buying players from clubs who are in the same league as network clubs, because you are giving financial advantage to other teams - never mind whether getting that player is a big advantage).

The appointment of Karel Fraeye is a big reason for hating Roland, because it shows such disdain and disrespect to the club. It highlights the network nepotism perfectly.

Can't dispute that at all, but that does not give Roland, katrien, and Tony carte blanche to behave in a manner not befitting a club that has fans that formed a political party to save it?

• and it was Roland that caused the injury to by our first top class striker for many years -Igor- by kicking him when on a rare visit to the UK

• They are rattled, big time!

• Anal Al is talking out of his backside.
    Sonogo went OTT considering we were still well adrift of the 4th from bottom but i saw other players clapping their hands at the fans us they walked pass.
    Considering that some drunks told the players to fuck off at Fulham.
    Fox, Solly and ? were given dogs abuse when they tried to clap the fans at the end. (Fulham)

Unless your under 10, everyone knows we have been a selling club,
    Other than Richard Murray's tenure part 1.

I am so proud of the fans for trying to make a change,
    not over optimistic, the change will come any time soon. but at least we has shown some spirit that we don't just want to be a club going no where other than down with this useless owner and his female side kick.

• i also think we should dump that pile of trash from Belgium called Guðmundsson and it was Roland that caused the injury to by our first top class striker for many years -Igor- by kicking him when on a rare visit to the UK

Not sure if you're taking the piss or not because the whole thread seems like you are but anyway...

• SDAddick said:

I think our differentiator should be that we develop good you players AND offer them chance of first team games, see Gomez, Poyet, Cousins, Shelvey, etc. This is especially true when you look at how many young players have come through and become first team regulars at Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, and Palace of late. I am also of the belief that promotion to the Premier League for a club of our size and means should be a far lower priority than ensuring Championship safety. I know there are a lot on here who feel we should be pushing for the Premier League year-on-year, but given the number of big money owners who have come in at the Championship level, we are unlikely to do that unless we are bought by one such owner with deep pockets, and joining the arms race can be a long term risk to the club (should said owners lose interest). QPR, Fulham, Forest, and Cardiff have all already massively overspent, and none of them will be promoted this year.

Where I take issue with what Katrien said in Dublin is that simply promoting young players, providing "the future stars of the Premier League," should not be the sum total of our ambition. The ability to bring in and fully develop such players is dependent on the standing of our first team, and it gets harder to attract and keep quality players in the long run if the first team performs poorly. Short of maybe Crewe Alexandria, a club cannot simply be a conveyor belt for producing young talent, especially in our catchment area.

Not trying to be a pain in the arse but who have Crewe produced in the last few years? Since say Platt, Rob Jones era. But I do take your point, just think that the Crewe example is overused.
  • Seems like there's a lot of thread's lately where I agree with everyone except the original poster. The previous one (by this guy?) suggesting Card were dealing from the wrong deck, dis have the advantage that there are actually people out there who disagree with the protests- I know a couple. While I don't like to go with the crowd digging people out, this one is just rubbish. Who out there would buy Roland out? FFS, this feller purports to be a fna for 40 years and somehow missed the whole Pete Varney email incident? The fans are agry because Roland won't throw his cash after us? After watching the club pay off Luzón, Peeters and the Indecently Un-Interim Fraeye.
    Personally, I think this is someone at the club taking revenge for Cabbles and his Rolling With Roland film. What it doesn't suggest is someone who follows Charlton from amongst the fans. I've always said there are other viewpoints besides the Roland Out one, but these seem a tad artificial, and I'm not much into conspiacy theories.
  • "Promise a route to the premiership".

The suggestion that it would be a good idea to promise a route to the Premier League is astonishing. Can any football academy promise that its academicians will have a route to the Premier League?

Imagine parents agreeing to send their young son to a football academy on the basis that it would be a promise of a route to the Premier League. And then, imagine those parents deciding to sue the club when they breach their promise because the boy is simply not good enough. How much could they sue for? A million? Ten million? How much would a player earn in a Premier League career - that he had been promised? A hundred million?

How many academicians does Charlton have? Twenty? Thirty? More?

It's a guaranteed way to lose millions and millions. And, of course, it's a guaranteed way to ensure the academy hoovers up all the worst players in the region. If you're good enough, you go to a well-funded, well-run academy; if you're not so sure about your ability, you go to the one, crazy place that - yes! - promised a route to the Premier League.

This idea is so stupid, so ill-thought out, so likely to end in chaos, huge player turnover and massive losses, that I am inclined to think it has come directly from either Katrien or Roland themselves.