Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should we not be honest & promise a route to the premiership to attract the very best young talent?

Comments

• I'll be sitting next Katrien of course Fanny

I've pointed out where I disagree with you, as have others, but you get immense respect from me for what was a self-deprecating and genuinely funny line :).
  • edited April 2016
    1StevieG said:

boggzy said:

Vetokele better than Bent or Kermorgant.

I've read it all now.

Seems to have skipped over BWP! At least he could put away a one on one.

That was absolutely not my experience when I was at The Valley during our promotion year. Football for a Fiver was home to Stevenage that year where he missed a hatful (he was in a poor run of form) before he eventually scored (I think, I remember Morro scored that day...also I think).

His shout was that Igor was the best since Bent. Not outrageous at all in my opinion. Yann would certainly be in contention, but I think it's a reasonable debate. Will be curious to see what Igor does in the run in if he stays fit. In terms of technique and movement, he'd certainly be ahead but he needs to show he can replicate his form from the start of last year. Fingers F*cking crossed.
  • Who signed Roger Johnson on an 18 month contract?

Anyone involved in that transaction should apologise and put their own money in to cover the costs.

Awful in so many ways.
  • More clear signs that THEY ARE CRACKING!

Half intelligible, second language trolls trying to defend the indefensible.

This really is the last bow from a failing regime, that has left a trail of destruction across Europe.

Never get an accountant to do something that requires INSPIRATION!

• Who signed Roger Johnson on an 18 month contract?

Anyone involved in that transaction should apologise and put their own money in to cover the costs.

Awful in so many ways.

Agreed, but there should also be credit for bringing in Tex, Fanni, and Motta in the same window which meant that RoJo hasn't even been in the squad of late. Now whether those players would have been signed if Riga hadn't come in is a big question (I think it's safe to say Tex wouldn't), as is who exactly is scouting and signing these players. Lastly, the fact that these signings weren't made until the end of Jan/beginning of Feb is another huge problem for me.
  • SDAddick said:

Who signed Roger Johnson on an 18 month contract?

Awful in so many ways.

Agreed, but there should also be credit for bringing in Tex, Fanni, and Motta in the same window which meant that RoJo hasn't even been in the squad of late. Now whether those players would have been signed if Riga hadn't come in is a big question (I think it's safe to say Tex wouldn't), as is who exactly is scouting and signing these players. Lastly, the fact that these signings weren't made until the end of Jan/beginning of Feb is another huge problem for me.
    Same model as previous in picking up unattached players (not Teixiera) after the window because they are cheaper, but was too little too late.
  • edited April 2016
    @Airman Brown @WestCountryAddick First off, I agree with both of you, I was simply trying to keep us from falling into the trap of judging things by one signing. I tried to make this point in the last sentence of my above post, as well as in various other threads, the fact that these signings were not made until February is incredibly damning. This is made even worse by the fact that Motta was unattached, and that it would seem Yun had no part in QPR's first team plans. Fanni is, as I understand it, still tied to Al-Arabi so he presumably couldn't have moved until January, though again he didn't join us until the last day of the transfer window after a busy January period.

Lastly, completely agree that at the start of the season, and even after two summer deadline day signings, the squad was desperately short on numbers, particularly in central defense and up front.

I'd also be keen to know who's idea it was to sign RoJo, Poyet and Rhys Williams. All three turned up together at a time when we were manager-less. None of the three had played enough football, and after Riga sent Williams back to Boro with his tail between his legs, the other two have barely featured at all. It's just another example of how this useless regime waste money.

This is what I was trying to allude to in my post, and it's what I consider to be absolutely obscene mismanagement of this, and any football club. The fact that when AB says "he," I don't know who he is talking about unless Roland himself signs the players. This really shouldn't be the case, but, *sigh* nothing surprises anymore. WA, your question of "whose idea is it" is the same thing. Who is signing these players? Or rather, who is scouting them, checking their fitness, their availability, how they fit into the squad in the short term and into the "vision" in the longer term. Who negotiates, who structures contracts again budgets, performance, etc.?

Although he has apparently come out against them in the past, I fear that our scouting is overly dependent on agents hocking their wares to the club, which is a stupid way to run a transfer policy. This is what a director of football and head of scouting should be doing. And if they do their jobs well, they potentially save a lot of money (as well as obviously improving the playing staff).
  • edited April 2016
    SDAddick said:

@Airman Brown @WestCountryAddick First off, I agree with both of you, I was simply trying to keep us from falling into the trap of judging things by one signing. I tried to make this point in the last sentence of my above post, as well as in various other threads, the fact that these signings were not made until February is incredibly damning. This is made even worse by the fact that Motta was unattached, and that it would seem Yun had no part in QPR's first team plans. Fanni is, as I understand it, still tied to Al-Arabi so he presumably couldn't have moved until January, though again he didn't join us until the last day of the transfer window after a busy January period.

Lastly, completely agree that at the start of the season, and even after two summer deadline day signings, the squad was desperately short on numbers, particularly in central defense and up front.

I'd also be keen to know who's idea it was to sign RoJo, Poyet and Rhys Williams. All three turned up together at a time when we were manager-less. None of the three had played enough football, and after Riga sent Williams back to Boro with his tail between his legs, the other two have barely featured at all. It's just another example of how this useless regime waste money.

This is what I was trying to allude to in my post, and it's what I consider to be absolutely obscene mismanagement of this, and any football club. The fact that when AB says "he," I don't know who he is talking about unless Roland himself signs the players. This really shouldn't be the case, but, *sigh* nothing surprises anymore. WA, your question of "whose idea is it" is the same thing. Who is signing these players? Or rather, who is scouting them, checking their fitness, their availability, how they fit into the squad in the short term and into the "vision" in the longer term. Who negotiates, who structures contracts again budgets, performance, etc.?

Although he has apparently come out against them in the past, I fear that our scouting is overly dependent on agents hocking their wares to the club, which is a stupid way to run a transfer policy. This is what a director of football and head of scouting should be doing. And if they do their jobs well, they potentially save a lot of money (as well as obviously improving the playing staff).
    You know RD does his own due diligence, don't you? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

I'll be sitting next Katrien of course Fanny

I've pointed out where I disagree with you, as have others, but you get immense respect from me for what was a self-deprecating and genuinely funny line :).
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I would guess this is em so get your views across
  • DOUCHER said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Rm
  • Jorge tex may look like a good signing now, but remember he's a 29 year old on a 4 year contract. Who the hell negotiated that?!
  • I would not want to mis-represent what some of you are saying and i am obviously citing parts of what is posted and most of what you say is very opposed to my view but it is interesting to see

1.Had the management spent the existing playing budget sensibly there wouldn't be a problem. It's unlikely we'd be better than mid-table, but that is not unreasonable.... AIRMAN BROWN

2. most agree that IGOR was and could still be a top player, although most think Kermorgant is better. Note though he is 34 and could NOT make it in the premiership

3. The club sometimes make good signings-

...should also be credit for bringing in Tex, Fanni, and Motta ....SD ADDOICK

and of course Gummudeson and Diarra - unless we think we should get rid?

4. some accept the new larger parachute payments are a problem - although to be fair most try and gloss over this 'elephant in the room'

5. roger johnson a 'solid championship player' was a poor signing- I AGREE

6. the TOXIC atmosphere at the club is probably not helping us sign promising youngsters, and definitely not POSITIVE for player morale. ( some of you claimed it has no impact but no-one has said it is having a positive impact)

7. DONT SELL ON YOUNG TALENT- a core aim of the campaign is acknowledged as being unrealistic in this day and age. and most agree that to attract the best we need to play them. Even more so now after Deli Alli.

Yes we can keep some young talent like the excellent JC but the truth is that's because he probably isn't quite good enough for the next step up. Remember for every Gomez and Lookman there will be one Solly (championship player only) and Cousins- who we can hold on to.

As I've said the club is being badly managed and needs a shake up particularly in how it engages with its critics, but unless someone out there wants to gamble £50m on 3 to 1 odds of scrapping into the premiership then i don't see the alternative to meeting RD halfway and looking for a compromise which involves

1. sticking long term with someone like RIGA - whose win ratio with us during his two stint's with us is excellent and whose tactical awareness is first class ( the change of tactics in the second half to up end Birmingham's counter attacking was superb and something that we all know Chris Powell wasn't capable of)

2. mixing up the signings a little with some VG home Championship players, not just relying 100% on kids and imports.

3. appointing a new UK based CEO- with a remit to win over the fans

4. us acknowledging that he has thrown a lot of money at the club - pitch ( we all remember the mud bath of the last set of british owners) , the academy etc and wages, and this is a good start

5. agreeing that we all want the same thing - a well run Championship club which plays great football, treats its fans with respect and doesn't irresponsibly burn other peoples money.

If we can get some stability based on the above then we may have a chance to entice new partners with deeper pockets and big visions and that could be good but if we don't we still have a decent club that we love.

PS i am very English, London born and i repeat do not know anyone in the management team at the club. so please some of you stop the unfair abuse.

• Jorge tex may look like a good signing now, but remember he's a 29 year old on a 4 year contract. Who the hell negotiated that?!

Katrien Meire? The CEO who has never been a CEO anywhere let alone, (at the point of purchase), a fair size football club. She's never been anything anywhere actually although I'm sure she would like to tell the world differently. If her LinkedIn profile is correct I would say she has bugger all experience at footballers contracts and not much else experience other than training.
    I think I read some where that she deals with the contracts. I could be wrong and imagined this but the madness of the signings would support this for me.

• As I've said the club is being badly managed and needs a shake up particularly in how it engages with its critics, but unless someone out there wants to gamble £50m on 3 to 1 odds of scrapping into the premiership then i don't see the alternative to meeting RD halfway and looking for a compromise which involves

1. sticking long term with someone like RIGA - whose win ratio with us during his two stint's with us is excellent and whose tactical awareness is first class ( the change of tactics in the second half to up end Birmingham's counter attacking was superb and something that we all know Chris Powell wasn't capable of)

2. mixing up the signings a little with some VG home Championship players, not just relying 100% on kids and imports.

The problem with the above is that Roland DOES NOT AGREE.
  • Sponsored links:

• 3. appointing a new UK based CEO- with a remit to win over the fans

Ah, so you've been put up to this by / you are Tony Testicles.

PS i am very English, London born and i repeat do not know anyone in the management team at the club. so please some of you stop the unfair abuse.

Oops, sorry

• 1. sticking long term with someone like RIGA - whose win ratio with us during his two stint's with us is excellent and whose tactical awareness is first class ( the change of tactics in the second half to up end Birmingham's counter attacking was superb and something that we all know Chris Powell wasn't capable of) Do you think Riga could sustain a season in the Championship? What happens when Riga goes on a bad run. Who do we get next. We all know the type of manager we'll get and there lies the problem.

2. mixing up the signings a little with some VG home Championship players, not just relying 100% on kids and imports. This is true and is what the club promised us again and again. Sadly we just won't get it. The board don't want to spend money bringing in decent players when they can play our youngsters for free. The same will happen again next year and we'll patch it up in January with the likes of Roger Johnson and Diego Poyet, neither of which will play again for the club and if that doesn't spell out how clueless this regime is to you then I'm not sure what will.

3. appointing a new UK based CEO- with a remit to win over the fans Roland doesn't want someone like this. A UK based CEO with a knowledge of football would cost a lot more money and stand up to him a lot more than someone young with no football experience. Roland doesn't care about football experience, all he wants is someone that is cheap and will do what he tells them to do.

4. us acknowledging that he has thrown a lot of money at the club - pitch ( we all remember the mud bath of the last set of british owners) , the academy etc and wages, and this is a good start THE PITCH THE PITCH THE PITCH. He may have spent money on the pitch but are you really saying that another owner wouldn't have done this? I'm not even sure if we'd have been allowed to play another year on that pitch without major improvements. As far as the academy goes, it's great and everything but what use is it in league 1?

5. agreeing that we all want the same thing - a well run Championship club which plays great football, treats its fans with respect and doesn't irresponsibly burn other peoples money. That is something we all do want but it's not going to happen under this regime. So come down next match day and volunteer with CARD, fight for our club back.

If we can get some stability based on the above then we may have a chance to entice new partners with deeper pockets and big visions and that could be good but if we don't we still have a decent club that we love.

• 3. appointing a new UK based CEO- with a remit to win over the fans

Ah, so you've been put up to this by / you are Tony Testicles.
    Good grief, the last thing the club needs is making Keohane CEO. Every game will end up being played behind closed doors because he's banned everyone

• edited April 2016
    DOUCHER said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Did this show up three times for you? It's only showing up once for me...

Once for me....

Once for me...
  • I would not want to mis-represent what some of you are saying and i am obviously citing parts of what is posted and most of what you say is very opposed to my view but it is interesting to see

1.Had the management spent the existing playing budget sensibly there wouldn't be a problem. It's unlikely we'd be better than mid-table, but that is not unreasonable.... AIRMAN BROWN

2. most agree that IGOR was and could still be a top player, although most think Kermorgant is better. Note though he is 34 and could NOT make it in the premiership

If you are genuine, I struggle with how you can put the following on one of your posts from yesterday: "Guðmundsson" and then today call him "Gummudeson"

It's not even close.
  • edited April 2016

I would not want to mis-represent what some of you are saying and i am obviously citing parts of what is posted and most of what you say is very opposed to my view but it is interesting to see

4. some accept the new larger parachute payments are a problem - although to be fair most try and gloss over this 'elephant in the room'

5. roger johnson a 'solid championship player' was a poor signing- I AGREE

6. the TOXIC atmosphere at the club is probably not helping us sign promising youngsters, and definitely not POSITIVE for player morale. ( some of you claimed it has no impact but no-one has said it is having a positive impact)

7. DONT SELL ON YOUNG TALENT- a core aim of the campaign is acknowledged as being unrealistic in this day and age. and most agree that to attract the best we need to play them. Even more so now after Deli Alli.

Yes we can keep some young talent like the excellent JC but the truth is that's because he probably isn't quite good enough for the next step up. Remember for every Gomez and Lookman there will be one Solly (championship player only) and Cousins- who we can hold on to.

As I've said the club is being badly managed and needs a shake up particularly in how it engages with its critics, but unless someone out there wants to gamble £50m on 3 to 1 odds of scrapping into the premiership then i don't see the alternative to meeting RD halfway and looking for a compromise which involves

4. us acknowledging that he has thrown a lot of money at the club - pitch ( we all remember the mud bath of the last set of british owners) , the academy etc and wages, and this is a good start

5. agreeing that we all want the same thing - a well run Championship club which plays great football, treats its fans with respect and doesn't irresponsibly burn other peoples money.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    We're in danger of having a genuine discussion break out here.

So this is taken out of context. When I was talking about good signings as opposed to Roger Johnson, I was speaking only of the January transfer window/February signings. I think there have been a lot of good signings under this regime. Diarra, Bauer, Igor, Kashi, and even Tony Watt, with his problems, was a decent signing and I think a club of our size and stature will sometimes have to gamble on talented yet flawed players. I'm saving the best for last, JBG, who I fancy both as a footballer and as a man with stern, chiseled Scandinavian looks. Much better than Danny Green.

My problem is starting the season with Diarra (injury prone throughout his career), Bauer (new to league), and Sarr (new to league, very raw) as the only center backs was a huge mistake. Same for up front, where we started with an injured Igor who hadn't had a preseason, Tony Watt and Mak, who were not suited well to playing with each other, and KAG who is young and raw and had to be thrown in at the deep end. Starting the season with three fit strikers, one of whom is 18, for a coach (Luzon) who likes to play 4-4-2 is utter madness. That could also apply to central midfield, where we started with Cousins (solid), Ba (new to league, raw), Kashi (new to league, unfortunate injury), JJ (aging). Yes, Diarra can also fill in there, but that would require taking away one of the three center backs. It's just not enough, and the combinations of players don't always add up together. This is something a Director of Football would do.

I think that KAG and Sarr could very well still come good, but they have been absolutely devastated by having too much too soon this season. I think Mak has been desperately short changed by now having a striker to play with who can stretch defenses and create space for him/win flick-ons. Because we have not brought in enough players with enough experience that suit the players we do have, I think we've made a lot of our signings look worse. Add that to the insane managerial changes (Fraeye) and it adds up to madness, it's a culture where as a player it's almost impossible to succeed because you're constantly being thrown in the deep end with another player being thrown in the deep end coached by a coach who has also just been thrown in the deep end.
  • @SDAddick I don't think size has anything to do with gambling on flawed yet talented players. Leeds and Manchester United gambled on Eric Cantona despite his issues, indeed Manchester United stuck with him after he did something that to quote my dear departed much loved Grandmother "I've always wanted to do".

Real Madrid took in Antonio Cassano. In fact, Cassano has been taken on by many big and medium large clubs.

Anelka and Ballotelli have played for a whose who of top clubs.

• edited April 2016
    Mackle said:

@SDAddick I don't think size has anything to do with gambling on flawed yet talented players. Leeds and Manchester United gambled on Eric Cantona despite his issues, indeed Manchester United stuck with him after he did something that to quote my dear departed much loved Grandmother "I've always wanted to do".

Real Madrid took in Antonio Cassano. In fact, Cassano has been taken on by many big and medium large clubs.

Anelka and Ballotelli have played for a whose who of top clubs.

True, but when they brought in Cassano, Madrid also had Raul, Guti, Ronaldo, and a host of other attacking players which meant that Cassano was not the only Galactico. Ballotelli had Tevez, Dzeko, and then Aguero at City. Anelka was a talisman at City and Bolton, but at Arsenal he had various other very good forwards with him, same with his time at Madrid, and when he joined Chelsea they had Drogba, and various wide attackers for the 4-3-3.

It's early and I can't remember exactly who was up front for United in the mid-90s (Yorke, Sherringham?), but hopefully you get my point. When these clubs signed raw, flawed players they had other experienced players around them to help ease them into the team.