Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should we not be honest & promise a route to the premiership to attract the very best young talent?

If my son had the talent of Gomez or Lookman then there is no way I would allow him to play at our Academy unless he had a good prospect of first team games and therefore a shop window for the bigger clubs. I know this is a sad reflection on CAFC but its reality. Payments to relegated premiership clubs next year could be as much as £100m - perhaps we all need to wake up a little.

Comments

• If my son had the talent of Gomez or Lookman then there is no way I would allow him to play at our Academy unless he had a good prospect of first team games and therefore a shop window for the bigger clubs. I know this is a sad reflection on CAFC but its reality. Payments to relegated premiership clubs next year could be as much as £100m - perhaps we all need to wake up a little.

Tbh I think that is exactly the current plan.

• edited April 2016
    I think our differentiator should be that we develop good you players AND offer them chance of first team games, see Gomez, Poyet, Cousins, Shelvey, etc. This is especially true when you look at how many young players have come through and become first team regulars at Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, and Palace of late. I am also of the belief that promotion to the Premier League for a club of our size and means should be a far lower priority than ensuring Championship safety. I know there are a lot on here who feel we should be pushing for the Premier League year-on-year, but given the number of big money owners who have come in at the Championship level, we are unlikely to do that unless we are bought by one such owner with deep pockets, and joining the arms race can be a long term risk to the club (should said owners lose interest). QPR, Fulham, Forest, and Cardiff have all already massively overspent, and none of them will be promoted this year.

Where I take issue with what Katrien said in Dublin is that simply promoting young players, providing "the future stars of the Premier League," should not be the sum total of our ambition. The ability to bring in and fully develop such players is dependent on the standing of our first team, and it gets harder to attract and keep quality players in the long run if the first team performs poorly. Short of maybe Crewe Alexandria, a club cannot simply be a conveyor belt for producing young talent, especially in our catchment area.
  • If my son had talent I'd want him to play for Charlton. If a better offer came in I'd be delighted for him and we would discuss. As much as I am a fan I would want whats best for him.

If there were a few offers from academies I'd put Charlton above all others though. Partly because I am a fan and partly because we have the history of introducing these into the first team. Despite what some may feel you could do a lot worse than the Charlton academy
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016
    I get your point but it's flawed. Every youngster will only get time for the first team if they're good enough for it. Lookman is a championship player therefore he gets championship game time and every team in the championship would give him that time. We've had a team full of youngsters in the shop window for a lot of this season (some of them not ready) and that is reflected by our league position (a lot of them aren't good enough yet). The only way we'll have a team like that and be competing is if we're in a lower league, which we will be next season.

If you have a kid who's as good as Lookman would you rather him playing for a league 1/2 first team or for the U21's at Derby for example. It's a hard question I guess. But every club nowadays is aware of every player no matter if they're in the first team or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree it's depressing that having to sell our young players amounts to a lack of ambition in terms of getting into the premiership but the truth is we were technically bankrupt before new owner came in. Our only other option is to attract some egotistical mug to gamble a minimum of £50m to get us into the premiership -
    Any takers ?
    Ps just like to post out that after the recent Brentford away win none of the players, other than Sanago really wanted to come and celebrate with the fans - telling don't you think

Omg really ? You don't think that the nasty man with the funny accent told them not to ?

• We can't exactly attract youngsters by offering them the hope of winning trophies with us. Why don't we offer them an automatic contract whether or not they're any good? Sort of everyone's a winner? Tell them that the owner doesn't care about winning games.
  • I agree it's depressing that having to sell our young players amounts to a lack of ambition in terms of getting into the premiership but the truth is we were technically bankrupt before new owner came in. Our only other option is to attract some egotistical mug to gamble a minimum of £50m to get us into the premiership -
    Any takers ?
    Ps just like to post out that after the recent Brentford away win none of the players, other than Sanago really wanted to come and celebrate with the fans - telling don't you think

Having an owner and a board that care about the club and it's history, and have the club's best interests at heart, would be a good start.

Instead, we an eccentric absentee politician owner that believes himself to be a visionary up there with Alan Turing, a CEO who goes out of her way to bait fans and admits to journalists that she doesn't care about pre-Roland history, and a COO who wants to ban supporters from the ground (and possibly turn the ground in to a residential complex instead).
  • Can we open a book on who this group of recent posters are please ?

List of runners and riders:

Palace fans
    Spanners
    Club employees
    Squirrel Face
    RD (Burns of Belgium)
    S.Parkes
  • Or maybe @alan dugdale they could be both club employees and Palace fans, and have peculiar "woman-crush" on Katrien
  • Our only other option is to attract some egotistical mug to gamble a minimum of £50m to get us into the premiership -
    Any takers ?

The "egotistical mugs" at QPR wrote off £50 million of debt the club owed them by converting it to equity (i.e. more shares on paper in a club they already owned). The ruthless Leicester owners wrote off £100 million in the same way. There are other examples. Any takers? Yes, there certainly are.
  • Our only other option is to attract some egotistical mug to gamble a minimum of £50m to get us into the premiership -
    Any takers ?

The "egotistical mugs" at QPR wrote off £50 million of debt the club owed them by converting it to equity (i.e. more shares on paper in a club they already owned). The ruthless Leicester owners wrote off £100 million in the same way. There are other examples. Any takers? Yes, there certainly are.
    Instead, we have an egotistical mug that gets Charlton to borrow off of another company that he owns. I kind of see Strapix like a loan shark, might not be money owed to a bank but it's still an owed debt